I Even Bleed Red

Change my mind: Matt Ryan has one of the worst deep balls in the NFL

123 posts in this topic

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

In order to throw a deep ball you need to be able to set your feet and have proper form.

That takes time to do.

One thing that’s been a common theme is he hasn’t had time to do that.  He has to rush his throws,  his form isn’t great, and the long ball suffers.

This times 1,000. 

5 minutes ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Let’s argue.

It’s been less than stellar but so has his ability to step into anything other than a 3 step drop. **** some of the pressurers were so fast today he didn’t even get a chance on 3 steps 

dothan_birdman and me4falcons like this

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

In order to throw a deep ball you need to be able to set your feet and have proper form.

That takes time to do.

One thing that’s been a common theme is he hasn’t had time to do that.  He has to rush his throws,  his form isn’t great, and the long ball suffers.

You have to start off by calculating the hive.  Once you have that, you do a regression model to see if it is correlative to the sop dap.  Our problem is that there are too many null integers that are cotangent to the sop dap.  Can we work through it?  Maybe.  Does a cat slide down the mountain on theater butter?

7 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That takes time to do.

I don't mean just this yr. I mean through out his career. Change my mind. 

Flying Falcon and cblack like this

10 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That takes time to do.

I've watched many qb's throw bombs down field this season on the run.. How is that possible then? 

cblack, cwell1 and I Even Bleed Red like this

10 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Never really been good on the deep ball but the one to Julio today was a flat out duck. Worst I've seen from him. Turrible.

The second one was nearly as bad. About 8 yards offline. Honestly it seems like Julio barely goes after the ball anymore. If one hit him in stride in the hands he'd be so shocked he'd drop it. 

4 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Never really been good on the deep ball but the one to Julio today was a flat out duck. Worst I've seen from him. Turrible.

Yea, Julio had to stop and wait about 2 seconds for the ball to come down!  It's like the trajectory on his long ball throws are too high, and not far enough.  I think a better O-line would help some of that, with giving him more time to set up, and get his feet right.  But like you say, Ryan has never been great on the long throws, and the last 2-3 years they've been less than stellar, to say the least ---- makes me wonder if he isn't having some kind of arm/shoulder issues....I hope not.  

5 minutes ago, FalconJim said:

Yea, Julio had to stop and wait about 2 seconds for the ball to come down!  It's like the trajectory on his long ball throws are too high, and not far enough.  I think a better O-line would help some of that, with giving him more time to set up, and get his feet right.  But like you say, Ryan has never been great on the long throws, and the last 2-3 years they've been less than stellar, to say the least ---- makes me wonder if he isn't having some kind of arm/shoulder issues....I hope not.  

I think that one slipped. At least I hope so.

The year he went to the throwing camp in Cali his deep ball was much better. No excess air under it.

Won MVP and went to a Bowl. He needs to go back to that camp.

33 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That takes time to do.

Polease...:lol: 

Edited by slickgadawg
Flying Falcon likes this

23 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That takes time to do.

Agree..

I try and be honest about Ryan and I know he doesn't have a really strong arm. He's def bottom half of the league, but he has overcome this in the past when he has had time to step into his throws. Every long ball he threw terribly today, he was throwing off his back foot if not absolutely falling backwards. He never has a chance to step up in the pocket like a lot of other guys do.

I get it. He doesn't have a really strong arm, but it's not fair to judge him with this craptastic O-line. With what we have protecting him, slow developing deep routes that don't start to break open until receivers are 40 yards downfield are going to be a disaster. 

rounz and Ergo Proxy like this