mike teevee

CFB Playoffs: Bama/OU vs Clemson/ND

64 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

Nick hasn't come out with a response to my knowledge, however, it's pretty common practice for SID to fill out those ballots these days. Very few coaches actually care, let alone watch enough games to even give a fair assessment anymore.

It's why having coaches vote on polls is one of the dumbest things known to man. They don't watch the games. They don't have time to watch the games.

The more I think about it the more I dislike this whole playoff system. Essentially this scenario will happen every year for the foreseeable future. Us and Bama will battle it out the last game of the regular season as top 5 teams while other playoff contender teams play good enough teams in their conference championships. We potentially have to play 3 playoff games every year while others have competitive teams or no game at all like ND.

“But they just played and UGA/Bama already had their shot”

giphy.gif

jeffro2000 and Carter like this

After being left out the Big 10 is discussing eliminating divisions and putting their top two teams in the championship game. They feel Ohio State was hurt by playing Northwestern. 

26 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

After being left out the Big 10 is discussing eliminating divisions and putting their top two teams in the championship game. They feel Ohio State was hurt by playing Northwestern. 

Yeah....it was.....Northwestern that hurt them

:lol:

Northwestern didn't hurt since OSU was already ranked lower but it certainly didn't help. Eliminating divisions could be even riskier thank keeping the status quo

12 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

It was dumb of them to make it a hard geographical line for the divisions anyway, all the relevant B1G powers are in the East. It’s like having Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburn in the same division.

The Legends/Leaders idea for balanced divisions was probably the best... those division names were just terrible and everyone hated the idea of Ohio State/Michigan probably more often than not having a rematch the week after they play in the regular season. And the alternative to that was ending it as a protected cross division rivalry, which is no bueno. 

They could keep it as it is and just exchange Michigan/Michigan State for Purdue/Illinois I think. I think having divisions with a protected cross division rivalry is really good for college football tradition. But I’m also kinda torn on that idea because doing away with divisions can make for more robust scheduling. If they want the top 2 teams then there’s no good way to avoid the possible OSU/Michigan back to back games. 

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

3 hours ago, Carter said:

It was dumb of them to make it a hard geographical line for the divisions anyway, all the relevant B1G powers are in the East. It’s like having Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Auburn in the same division.

The Legends/Leaders idea for balanced divisions was probably the best... those division names were just terrible and everyone hated the idea of Ohio State/Michigan probably more often than not having a rematch the week after they play in the regular season. And the alternative to that was ending it as a protected cross division rivalry, which is no bueno. 

They could keep it as it is and just exchange Michigan/Michigan State for Purdue/Illinois I think. I think having divisions with a protected cross division rivalry is really good for college football tradition. But I’m also kinda torn on that idea because doing away with divisions can make for more robust scheduling. If they want the top 2 teams then there’s no good way to avoid the possible OSU/Michigan back to back games. 

Divisions are dumb period!! It worked back in the 90s when the SEC went to it because both divisions were equally balanced and quite frankly no one knew any better. But conferences are so jacked these days that divisions just suck. You very rarely get the two best teams in opposite divisions anymore. Yeah, it's happened two years in a row for the SEC but that's a first in a long time.

Stole from 247 poster Outkast15

2018 overall opponent record:

Georgia 97-60 
Clemson 89-66 
Alabama 85-72 
Oklahoma 82-74 
Notre Dame 77-69 
Ohio State 75-82 
UCF 70-76

Those top 4 seem pretty close.

ND needs to be in a conference and play a championship game.  Shouldn't let them get the easy way in.

Oklahoma is the ONLY remaining threat to Alabama. Georgia's pro style offense (which is usually easier for a Saban defense to stop) gave Alabama's D trouble earlier on. It'll be interesting to see Oklahoma's high powered offense with Kyler Murray against Bama's defense which is weaker from last season. Oklahoma's only loss to Texas they avenged in blowout fashion in the Big 12 championship. Oklahoma has given Alabama trouble in the past. In fact, Oklahoma has won the last 3 over Alabama with the previous one being the Sugar Bowl in 2013-14.

Clemson has no shot. Clemson had the historically EASIEST schedule in power 5 history. The only 2 good teams they faced were Texas A&M and Syracuse. They barely escaped both of those. The ACC was historically bad this year. Florida State had their worst season in over 40 years. EVERY TEAM in the ACC coastal had a record of 7-5 or worse. That's completely ridiculous.

Notre Dame is overrated too as always. They had some dominant wins this year, but they are about evenly matched with Clemson but even their schedule was better than Clemson and they've been more battle tested. Now what's interesting is that there's a lot of parallels between 1988 Notre Dame and this year's Notre Dame team. Both opening at home with Michigan and closing on the road with USC. Notre Dame is 12-0 so far and this team is clearly better than the 2012 team. Notre Dame's best case scenario is beat an overrated untested Clemson team and then hope Oklahoma beats Alabama for you.

12 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Oklahoma is the ONLY remaining threat to Alabama. Georgia's pro style offense (which is usually easier for a Saban defense to stop) gave Alabama's D trouble earlier on. It'll be interesting to see Oklahoma's high powered offense with Kyler Murray against Bama's defense which is weaker from last season. Oklahoma's only loss to Texas they avenged in blowout fashion in the Big 12 championship. Oklahoma has given Alabama trouble in the past. In fact, Oklahoma has won the last 3 over Alabama with the previous one being the Sugar Bowl in 2013-14.

Clemson has no shot. Clemson had the historically EASIEST schedule in power 5 history. The only 2 good teams they faced were Texas A&M and Syracuse. They barely escaped both of those. The ACC was historically bad this year. Florida State had their worst season in over 40 years. EVERY TEAM in the ACC coastal had a record of 7-5 or worse. That's completely ridiculous.

Notre Dame is overrated too as always. They had some dominant wins this year, but they are about evenly matched with Clemson but even their schedule was better than Clemson and they've been more battle tested. Now what's interesting is that there's a lot of parallels between 1988 Notre Dame and this year's Notre Dame team. Both opening at home with Michigan and closing on the road with USC. Notre Dame is 12-0 so far and this team is clearly better than the 2012 team. Notre Dame's best case scenario is beat an overrated untested Clemson team and then hope Oklahoma beats Alabama for you.

OU beat Texas in blowout fashion? They didn’t put them away until 2 minutes left in the game.. 

m2Falcons likes this

1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

Bama can probably score at will against Oklahoma and I'm sure that staff will come with ways to slow down Murray & co.

I'm at the point where I believe Clemson -Notre Dame will be the only competitive game in the playoffs.    That's not because I think ND is so great but just because of what you've said - ND has been in battles against better competition and than Clemson they will have a chip on their shoulder. 

I posted earlier on this thread that Clemson's 4th ranked defense has only given up more than 312 yards of offense twice this season.  And that was to Texas A&M (501) and South Carolina (600). 

On offense, the highest ranked power-5 defenses they faced were Texas A&M (#36) and Georgia Tech (#46) (obviously the option helps Tech's defensive stats).  Clemson has had the luxury of breaking in a freshman QB in conference games against defenses ranked #122, #116,  #79, #82, #91, #72, #69 & # 54.  In comparison, South Carolina and Vanderbilt are the only SEC teams on UGA's schedule that rank below #54 in total defense.  Simply put, the ACC was incredibly awful in 2018.

m2Falcons, Carter and mqg96 like this

Clemson gave up like 600 yards to South Carolina. Bentley ate them alive. And people think their defense is gonna hang with Bama. Plus Bama is using Tua losing the Heisman as extra incentive to win convincingly now? Sorry but I've got news for ya....

Oklahoma has no chance to beat Bama. They may be the only team that wouldn't lose by 30+.

BamaBirdLady and Falconsfan567 like this

8 hours ago, Carter said:

Clemson gave up like 600 yards to South Carolina. Bentley ate them alive. And people think their defense is gonna hang with Bama. Plus Bama is using Tua losing the Heisman as extra incentive to win convincingly now? Sorry but I've got news for ya....

Oklahoma has no chance to beat Bama. They may be the only team that wouldn't lose by 30+.

I agree. I really have difficulty seeing how Bama doesn't score a TD on just about every possession in this game with OU.  Conversely the OU offense just isn't going to score at that pace on the Bama defense. The score might end up 56 to 38 or something like that if OU gets lucky!

Carter and Falconsfan567 like this

12 hours ago, Carter said:

You are right about Bama's D being fired up about Tua losing Heisman. Within minutes of the annoucement they posted the motto #December 29th. Will that really make a difference? I have no idea, but I do know the defense feels like they want to prove that the voters got it wrong. We will see on December 29th, which  is my birthday, would be a great birthday present!

m2Falcons likes this