mike teevee

CFB Playoffs: Bama/OU vs Clemson/ND

64 posts in this topic

The teams are set. Good for them. It is UGAs fault for not handling business, but I’m pretty confident they would have made a better game than either ND or OU will. 

Oh well. If Bama wins both games by 20+ then maybe people will say huh maybe UGA did deserve a shot. It is what it is though. Dawgs had no business losing to LSU, let alone getting embarrassed by them. 

I’m interested to see Clemson vs Notre Dame at least. Bama will make Oklahoma look like garbage.

For sure. I’d love to see what some spreads could have been for other teams playin Clemson and Bama. 

I also hope ND gets crushed so they aren’t considered a shoo-in again.

3 hours ago, Carter said:

Oh well. If Bama wins both games by 20+ then maybe people will say huh maybe UGA did deserve a shot. It is what it is though. Dawgs had no business losing to LSU, let alone getting embarrassed by them. 

I’m interested to see Clemson vs Notre Dame at least. Bama will make Oklahoma look like garbage.

If Bama clobbers both teams, I think that only proves how overrated conference championship games are. Only in college football do people get bent out of shape when teams that don't win their division/conference make it to the final 4. 

It also would provide a great argument for expansion, but I doubt the SEC is that interested in it. 

Carter likes this

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

If Bama clobbers both teams, I think that only proves how overrated conference championship games are. Only in college football do people get bent out of shape when teams that don't win their division/conference make it to the final 4. 

It also would provide a great argument for expansion, but I doubt the SEC is that interested in it. 

College football is stuck with this mentality that overall record and conference champions is the only way we can determine things.

The conferences are painfully unequal in strength. Clemson and Ohio State were playing barely bowl eligible teams that lost to group of 5 teams. How is that a meaningful conference championship? They played like 1 or 2 good opponents in 13 games.

UGA played more bowl eligible teams than there even are in the Big 12 or Big Ten. 

Notre Dame should be forced to join the ACC in football or forfeit their eligibility for the playoff. It’s absolutely ridiculous that half their weak schedule is ACC teams but they are sitting at home on championship weekend while Clemson plays a 7-5 team. Meanwhile 12-0 Bama is playing 11-1 Georgia. Notre Dame’s opponents were a combined 74-72. UGA’s were 97-60. Great job going undefeated guys!

33 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Clemson will beat Bama in the title game 

I really don’t see it. Bama will confuse and get after Lawrence and keep Etienne in check imo. Clemson’s defense might be able to make things interesting for the first half, but Bama will adjust and blow them out in the 2nd half. My opinion of course. 

BamaBirdLady likes this

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

I really don’t see it. Bama will confuse and get after Lawrence and keep Etienne in check imo. Clemson’s defense might be able to make things interesting for the first half, but Bama will adjust and blow them out in the 2nd half. My opinion of course. 

Clemson d line is the real deal. They will manhandle Bama's o line imo. And Bama's run defense hasn't been all that good this year. 

OU can score on anyone so I think that game may be interesting for a bit. Saban has a month to prepare though and not sure about Hollywood Brown playing.

OU's D can't hold up, especially if Tua is good to go. OU also has good guards to go against Bama's DTs, but Bama wins by 14-20+.

Clemson beats ND handily.

Clemson vs Alabama is interesting to me and not a slam dunk Bama win. We have seen for weeks Tua be average when under pressure and do some boneheaded stuff. He seems to rattle easily but nobody had the talent to match them for 4qtrs until yesterday.

Obviously, UGA's Dline isn't in the same league as Clemson's. I expect their D to cause some problems. Alabama's D is only good, not great and can be scored on. I still like Alabama to eventually prevail, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to other way.

Edited by jeffro2000

2 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Clemson d line is the real deal. They will manhandle Bama's o line imo. And Bama's run defense hasn't been all that good this year. 

That d line is the only reason I said it might be interesting for the first half lol

mike teevee likes this

14 minutes ago, Carter said:

That d line is the only reason I said it might be interesting for the first half lol

I just think Dabo has confidence in beating Bama and not intimidated and that's half the battle. One reason I thought UGA had a chance against them. And they have some studs too

16 minutes ago, Carter said:

I tend to agree.  The fist line guys are great but they do not have the kind of depth and talent all over the field that Bama does.  

7 minutes ago, frankly88 said:

I tend to agree.  The fist line guys are great but they do not have the kind of depth and talent all over the field that Bama does.  

Clemson has talent all over the field just like Bama. Those guys are really good. If Lawrence was there last year they would have beat Bama. You guys will be in for a surprise 

18 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I just think Dabo has confidence in beating Bama and not intimidated and that's half the battle. One reason I thought UGA had a chance against them. And they have some studs too

Good point and I think we will get to see that matchup again. I just don’t think Clemson is a remarkably better team than Texas A&M personally.

If Notre Dame beats Clemson - and I think they can, but probably won’t - then everyone should have a problem with them not playing in the ACC championship game. 

fibonaccisquared likes this

9 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Clemson has talent all over the field just like Bama. Those guys are really good. If Lawrence was there last year they would have beat Bama. You guys will be in for a surprise 

I don't mean they don't have talent at every position.  A better way to say is that I think there is a bigger talent gap between Bama - Clemson than Bama-GA.  But yeah I definitely think they have enough to give Bama a game. 

10 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Clemson is nowhere near Bama in terms of talent all over the field. Clemson has signed smaller classes and consistently ranked far below Bama. Clemson isn’t even usually in the top 10 recruiting rankings nationally. They get some great players and have some studs for sure but they look a lot better than they really are by playing the schedule they do. 

Lawrence is going to be great though. Not sure he’s ready for Bama in a national title game though.

RandomFan likes this

BCS would have had Bama vs Clemson in the title game. Old formula had Bama, Clemson, ND, Oklahoma and UGA in the top 5. Oklahoma had .849 points, UGA had .840. BCS agrees with the committee 

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Good point and I think we will get to see that matchup again. I just don’t think Clemson is a remarkably better team than Texas A&M personally.

If Notre Dame beats Clemson - and I think they can, but probably won’t - then everyone should have a problem with them not playing in the ACC championship game. 

Clemson defense is vastly superior and they have better coaching than A&M. ND has no chance against them boys at all. But I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Clemson is nowhere near Bama in terms of talent all over the field. Clemson has signed smaller classes and consistently ranked far below Bama. Clemson isn’t even usually in the top 10 recruiting rankings nationally. They get some great players and have some studs for sure but they look a lot better than they really are by playing the schedule they do. 

Lawrence is going to be great though. Not sure he’s ready for Bama in a national title game though.

I dont care about class sizes. As far as straight talent Clemson has players that will play in the NFL all over their starting 22 just like Bama.  As far as depth you are correct. Their schedule isn't hard like Bama's. But it wasn't when they beat Bama two years ago either. Clemson has an SEC line of scrimmage and that's what matters