g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Aquaman was. Probably the most stunning visuals since Avatar.

Yep.. it was awesome.

59 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I never got into the animation stuff, or Star Wars etc.  I think I watched a few of the Star Wars movies in the 80's and nothing since.  

There's a strong argument to be made that the first 3 movies to come out are all that's worth watching anyway 

19 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

There's a strong argument to be made that the first 3 movies to come out are all that's worth watching anyway 

Definitely not an argument that I would subscribe to. Nor anyone I know. 

26 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

No argument here. Though the abominations that are 7 and 8, make 1 through 3 surprisingly enjoyable. 

7 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Definitely not an argument that I would subscribe to. Nor anyone I know. 

Prequels are absolute unredeemable garbage 

The new movies are hit or miss though pretty good overall while seemingly lacking in story telling and world building with Solo being the only truly bad one of the bunch 

The ultimate point of the new movies isn't world building like the first 3 but rather to be summer blockbusters living off the existing massive fandom

7 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Prequels are absolute unredeemable garbage 

The new movies are hit or miss though pretty good overall while seemingly lacking in story telling and world building with Solo being the only truly bad one of the bunch 

And that's what is great about movies and subjective opinions. I can pretty much completely disagree with you and that's fine. I enjoyed Solo very much. Rogue One is one of the best movies in the franchise and I've thoroughly enjoyed both Episode 7 and 8. Sure, Episodes 1 and 2 were fairly weak, but the Phantom Edit versions of Episodes 1 and 2 made them infinitely better movies, while 3 was more than fine without any edits.

Of course, I'm not an MRA who bashes everything believed to be "SJW" nor do I look for reasons to pick apart and not like a movie as long as it entertains me. Not saying you are, but it seems to me most of the recent criticisms are coming from that group of people. 

Edited by RandomFan

5 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

And that's what is great about movies and subjective opinions. I can pretty much completely disagree with you and that's fine. I enjoyed Solo very much. Rogue One is one of the best movies in the franchise and I've thoroughly enjoyed both Episode 7 and 8. Sure, Episodes 1 and 2 were fairly weak, but the Phantom Edit versions of Episodes 1 and 2 made them infinitely better movies, while 3 was more than fine without any edits.

Of course, I'm not an MRA who bashes everything believed to be "SJW" nor do I look for reasons to pick apart and not like a movie as long as it entertains me. Not saying you are, but it seems to me most of the recent criticisms are coming from that group of people. 

Your last paragraph came off as rambling nonsense

Stopped reading it one sentence in 

Yall are obviously not someone who waited 30 years for Luke Skywalker only to see Rian Johnson completely ruin him. 30....years....an hour and half in to the TFA and Rey is mind tricking folks. Gtfo.

I really never understood the outrage with most of the new movies 

I mean Solo is just lazy writing throughout imo but the others were fine I thought 

13 minutes ago, theDIRTYcode said:

Yall are obviously not someone who waited 30 years for Luke Skywalker only to see Rian Johnson completely ruin him. 30....years....an hour and half in to the TFA and Rey is mind tricking folks. Gtfo.

MH is such a bad actor. That’s what ruined Skywalker.  

g-dawg likes this

9 minutes ago, Is This What You Want? said:

Guys, unless Luke Skywalker is a 5 star recruit, can we please get this thread back to recruiting?  Every time I see unread posts I think there is some recruiting news, but it turns out to be a Entertainment Tonight episode.

No offense, but take it elsewhere please.

Kylo Ren was a 5 star. Rey was a 3 star. Sometimes these recruits play bigger than their rating.

sdogg, RandomFan, RxDawg and 1 other like this

Sigh....the last paragraph just makes me disappointed...

What happened late with Georgia and elite RBs Noah Cain and Trey Sanders?

Jeff Sentell
Posted 3 hours ago

ORLANDO, Fla. — Noah Cain had a decision to make. Trey Sanders had a decision to make. Elijah Holyfield had a decision to make.

Kenny McIntosh had already made his decision to play for Georgia in 2019. Those other three running backs were weighing that for their respective careers.

“The final few days before signing day is when I really started to second guess myself,” Cain said Saturday.

Holyfield is still a Bulldog, but he hasn’t made a public declaration on his 2019 playing future yet.

Sanders eventually signed during the early period with Alabama. The nation’s top-rated RB for this class had a strong late interest in the Bulldogs. Cain, the nation’s No. 7 RB in this cycle, chose another school.

Those two both played together at IMG Academy.

Cain spoke on Saturday from the Under Armour All-America Game week events. His media day included a lot of topics about his eventual school of choice. That’s Penn State.

The fact he has signed with Penn State allowed him the freedom to discuss openly what the final 48 hours of his recruiting process looked like.

He shared a view that the Bulldogs really had a chance late to pull not one, but two elite backs from IMG Academy in this cycle. Or it was at least a viable option.

“Georgia was really transparent,” Cain said of the days leading up to his choice. “That week before signing day they didn’t know what Elijah was going to do. That was a big thing for me with Georgia. He was still wavering up to signing day. So (Georgia running backs coach Dell) coach McGee knew where I was at with that.”

“I still talk to (coach) McGee to this day so he knew where I was at. My relationship with coach [Kirby] Smart and coach McGee is very good still. It was the fact that Elijah was still wavering and I didn’t know what he was going to do.”

Noah Cain made a business decision

It really came down to a business decision for Cain. To his credit, that was what he said his choice was always going to be. He knew that D’Andre Swift would be back for the Bulldogs in 2019. He knew that James Cook and Zamir White were also there.

Georgia also had 4-star RB Kenny McIntosh in the 2019 class. McIntosh ranks as the nation’s No. 10 RB on the 247Sports Composite for this cycle. Most fans don’t realize how much his 225-pound frame will add a new dimension to the backfield in Athens.

He just couldn’t make sense of all the depth.

Then there was the unknown with Holyfield. Here’s what big what if: What would he have done if he knew that Holyfield had decided to take his talents to the NFL?

“It would have changed a lot of things,” Cain said. “If I knew he was leaving for sure it would have changed a lot. Probably. Because Georgia was really like that frontrunner the final few days. Elijah just kept wavering and I didn’t really know about it but that’s what it was.”

When it was time to decide, he wasn’t sure what Holyfield was going to do. If he knew those plans, he said the Bulldogs would have been one of his final options in the five minutes prior to his final decision.

“If I would’ve known Elijah was leaving for sure though a lot of things would have been different probably right now,” he said.

Was it ever Georgia? Could it have ever been Georgia? Could it have been Georgia for both Noah Cain and Trey Sanders?

“Probably different for Trey,” he said. “Georgia already had Kenny McIntosh committed. But Trey and I were always talking about Georgia. … For us, it was kind of like me and Georgia-Penn State. Him and Bama-Georgia. It was like Georgia as our other final school as well. We were always talking about it. We didn’t know what Elijah was going to do either. We talked on that night before signing day.”

He said that they just collectively didn’t have a really good read on that. So they just stepped away from Georgia and did the best things for themselves independent of that decision.

Cain still labeled it a viable option.

The Bulldogs had late traction with three IMG Academy standouts. That was Cain and Sanders and also 5-star OT Evan Neal.

Which one of those three did Cain think came the closest to choosing Georgia? He said Evan was in the mix there, but that would not be his choice.

“I know Trey and I were about fifty-fifty with it,” Cain said. “Because like two days before signing day we didn’t know what Elijah was going to do. Trey was asking me. I’m asking Trey. We were talking to coach McGee. Coach McGee didn’t even know.”

The final thing he said was there was a chance the Bulldogs could have signed both IMG backs in the 2019 cycle. The disclaimer here is it did include a lot of “ifs.”

“If Kenny McIntosh wasn’t committed and Elijah [Holyfield] would have left we probably would have made that move,” Cain said. “If McIntosh didn’t commit and Elijah would have left. Trey and I loved playing together. So it probably would have been a viable option.”

giphy.gif

g-dawg and Porter Osborne Jr like this

2 hours ago, Carter said:

Kylo Ren was a 5 star. Rey was a 3 star. Sometimes these recruits play bigger than their rating.

Both D. Baker & Quinnon Williams were also 3 star prospects.  Same for Greene & Pollack.  Despite using a Star Wars metaphor, your point is spot on.  You just never know until you get em on campus

3 star recruits in Pro Bowl

PLAYER/POS
COLLEGE
NFL TEAM
PRO BOWLS
Aaron Rodgers  QB California  Packers  6
Dak Prescott  QB Mississippi State  Cowboys  1
Matt Ryan  QB Boston College Falcons  4
Le'Veon Bell  RB Michigan State  Steelers  2
Mike Evans WR Texas A&M Buccaneers  1
Brandon Scherff OL Iowa  Redskins 1
David DeCastro  OL Stanford  Steelers  2
Travis Frederick  OL Wisconsin  Cowboys 3
Trent Williams  OL Oklahoma  Redskins  5
Travis Kelce  TE Cincinnati Chiefs 2
Casey Hayward DB Vanderbilt  Chargers 1
Devin McCourty  DB Rutgers Patriots  2
Marcus Peters DB Washington  Chiefs 2
Richard Sherman  DB Stanford  Seahawks  4
Brian Orakpo  LB Texas  Titans  4
Luke Kuechly LB Boston College  Panthers 4
Ryan Kerrigan  LB Purdue  Redskins  2
Vic Beasley  LB Clemson  Falcons  1
Von Miller  LB Texas A&M Broncos  5
Marshal Yanda  OL Iowa  Ravens 6
Kelechi Osemele OL Iowa State  Raiders 1
Aaron Donald  DT Pittsburgh  Rams 3
Geno Atkins  DT Georgia  Bengals  5
Cliff Avril  DE Purdue  Seahawks  1
Jurrell Casey  DE USC Titans  2
Justin Tucker  PK Texas  Ravens 2

Two-Star Recruits in the Pro Bowl
PLAYER 
POS
COLLEGE
NFL TEAM
PRO BOWLS
T.Y. Hilton  WR Florida International  Colts  3 Aquib Talib  CB Kansas  Broncos  4 Khalil Mack  LB Buffalo  Raiders  2 Bobby Wagner  LB Utah State  Seahawks  3 T.J. Lang  OL Eastern Michigan  Packers  1 Pat McAfee P West Virginia  Colts  2

No-Star Recruits in the Pro Bowl
PLAYER
POS
COLLEGE
NFL TEAM
PRO BOWLS
Tom Brady  QB Michigan  Patriots  12 Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami(OH)  Steelers 5 Antonio Brown  WR Central Michigan  Steelers  5 Kyle Juszczyk FB Harvard  Ravens 1 Mike Tolbert  FB Coastal Carolina  Panthers  3 Delanie Walker TE Central Missouri  Titans  2 Donald Penn  OL Utah State  Raiders  2 Chris Harris  CB Kansas Broncos  3 Lorenzo Alexander  LB California  Bills  2 Thomas Davis  LB Georgia  Panthers  2 Michael Bennett  DE Texas A&M  Seahawks  2 David Johnson  RB Northern Iowa Cardinals  1 Matthew Slater RS UCLA  Patriots  1
Edited by Falconsin2012
AutumnEffect likes this