g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

As I said, I know there are reasons for all of these guys choosing other schools, but if we just look at the player in a vacuum without taking those reason into account, I would have loved to add pretty much all of the following:

1. Haselwood
  2. Andrew Booth
  3. Owen Pappoe
  4. Wanya Morris
  5. Harry Miller
  6. Chris Hinton
  7. Justin Eboigbe
  8. Kyle Hamilton

Those are all top 100 players in the entire country.

And then maybe even some players like:

1. Kenyatta Watson
  2. King Mwikuta

The point is, the state of GA was LOADED this year, no way was this a down year in state...not at all. And for many different reasons we ended up not landing most of the prime in state targets. Including Nolan who was technically at IMG, we landed only 3 of the top 11 players in state this year. That's beyond terrible for us. Recruiting in state kids lessons the chances of the homesickness from kids like Ford, or the desire to transfer when things might be less than ideal early in their careers. As I said I do understand why we missed on each of those kids: it just stinks. I'm happy with our class, just disappointed we couldn't include more of the top in state kids into it. Locking down our borders is what every coach comes in emphasizing in recruiting; and we didn't do a good job of that this year. 

Edited by RandomFan

Of the 10 you listed above, I only think 6 were “takes”  at the end(if available)when you look at who else we took at their same positions out of state.

Haselwood, Booth, Wanya(did we even recruit him?), Hinton, Egboige(did we recruit him?), and Hamilton all should have been takes.

Pappoe?  There’s a reason we gave up on him so easy.  With Trezman and Nakobe at ILB and having Reese and now Cine at SS/LB/Star we just didn’t need him.

Clay Webb >> Harry Miller all day

King Mwikuta << Nolan & JJ

Kenyatta?  Dawgs were never interested in him plus the dad’s a headache.

4 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I would throw Nakobe in there as well.  I know he has Tindall and some others ahead of him, but Dean’s tape looks like he won’t be denied.

30 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Of the 10 you listed above, I only think 6 were “takes”  at the end(if available)when you look at who else we took at their same positions out of state.

Haselwood, Booth, Wanya(did we even recruit him?), Hinton, Egboige(did we recruit him?), and Hamilton all should have been takes.

Pappoe?  There’s a reason we gave up on him so easy.  With Trezman and Nakobe at ILB and having Reese and now Cine at SS/LB/Star we just didn’t need him.

Clay Webb >> Harry Miller all day

King Mwikuta << Nolan & JJ

Kenyatta?  Dawgs were never interested in him plus the dad’s a headache.

Once again, as I've said multiple times...let me restate this for emphasis...as I've said multiple times...I do understand how and why most of those players chose other schools. I said in a vacuum, not considering those other factors those were players that are in state guys that I would have liked to have. The reality is we didn't land 8 of the top 11 players in state. In most years that would be deemed unacceptable for a king recruiter like Kirby. Yeah, we made up for it in other states, but that still doesn't undercut my point that I would have liked to have had better success in state this year. 

But now, to your comments: of the 10 I listed above, all 10 would have been takes.

Did we ever recruit Wanya? Most definitely. Until he made it clear he wasn't interested in our depth chart. But he was definitely wanted by the Pitboss. 

Eboigbe? Most definitely we recruited him and at one point was thought to be a UGA lock. Americus even had him in his projected class at one point. 

Pappoe? We didn't give up on him easy. We recruited the heck out of him even after he picked Auburn. Yes we viewed him as a Star/SS more than ILB, but to suggest we didn't need him is laughable. Depth at safety is about to get really thin. 

Clay Webb is better than Harry Miller. Ok, so? Why not take both. It's not like we would have told him no just because we might also land Webb. We're still looked at possibly adding Nester at OG. Who would you rather have?

Same thing regarding Mwikuta with Nolan and Johnson. 

Kenyatta? Dawgs most definitely recruited him. Tried to flip him from Texas, no luck. 

Edited by RandomFan

Remember, Roquan wasn't Roquan until halfway through his sophomore year. Dean has a good shot at getting a good bit of playing time but I think it'll be on the lines of more similar to Tindall, we'll see flashes of what he can do this year. See Rice/Crowder as the starters then Tindall and whoever practices better of Quay Walker and Nakobe Dean will get the most time as backup.

2 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

Remember, Roquan wasn't Roquan until halfway through his sophomore year. Dean has a good shot at getting a good bit of playing time but I think it'll be on the lines of more similar to Tindall, we'll see flashes of what he can do this year. See Rice/Crowder as the starters then Tindall and whoever practices better of Quay Walker and Nakobe Dean will get the most time as backup.

Agree with your players listed in the 2 deep, but I suspect Tindall might overtake Crowder in the starting lineup. But all of the top 4 should see significant snaps. And I would expect Walker to be ahead of Dean because he has a year of experience in the defensive scheme. Injuries happen though, so Dean should get in the field some as well. Might see Dean make a move up the depth chart later in the season. 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Good post and always respect your takes.

As to the Ohio State QBs and Oklahoma WRs - I don’t really put much stock in those distinctions.  Skills, Traits, Talent and the hard to determine “competitiveness” and  desire to be great usually win the day - that happens whether a player is from University of Buffalo, Miami of Ohio or Ohio State.  There are so very few great NFL QB prospects.

As to fans judging qualities like character and toughness,  I don’t believe there’s enough known on either kid to judge just yet - one is a college freshman and the other a high school player - people nowadays are in such a rush to judge these kids and give their hot takes - not talking about you Carter - but fans/messageboards in general.

Skills, traits, and talent mean jack **** if you don't learn the game. 

Otherwise Cam, Stafford, Vick, etc would be the greatest QB's ever. Not Brady's goofy ***.

Porter Osborne Jr and LawDawg like this

23 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Once again, as I've said multiple times...let me restate this for emphasis...as I've said multiple times...I do understand how and why most of those players chose other schools. I said in a vacuum, not considering those other factors those were players that are in state guys that I would have liked to have. The reality is we didn't land 8 of the top 11 players in state. In most years that would be deemed unacceptable for a king recruiter like Kirby. Yeah, we made up for it in other states, but that still doesn't undercut my point that I would have liked to have had better success in state this year. 

But now, to your comments: of the 10 I listed above, all 10 would have been takes.

Did we ever recruit Wanya? Most definitely. Until he made it clear he wasn't interested in our depth chart. But he was definitely wanted by the Pitboss. 

Eboigbe? Most definitely we recruited him and at one point was thought to be a UGA lock. Americus even had him in his projected class at one point. 

Pappoe? We didn't give up on him easy. We recruited the heck out of him even after he picked Auburn. Yes we viewed him as a Star/SS more than ILB, but to suggest we didn't need him is laughable. Depth at safety is about to get really thin. 

Clay Webb is better than Harry Miller. Ok, so? Why not take both. It's not like we would have told him no just because we might also land Webb. We're still looked at possibly adding Nester at OG. Who would you rather have?

Same thing regarding Mwikuta with Nolan and Johnson. 

Kenyatta? Dawgs most definitely recruited him. Tried to flip him from Texas, no luck. 

When I say, did we recruit him, maybe the difference between what you are saying and me is - I am referencing more did we recruit some of these guys down the stretch all the way to signing day?  Not did we not recruit them at all or through the summer.   I didn’t see much on Dawgs chasing Pappoe, Miller, Wanya or Egoibe into the fall of this year.

I agree with you in that not getting that many guys - from an overview context - is somewhat surprising and disappointing.   I understand you are making a general statement.    

5 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Skills, traits, and talent mean jack **** if you don't learn the game. 

Otherwise Cam, Stafford, Vick, etc would be the greatest QB's ever. Not Brady's goofy ***.

What’s your point?

57 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Agree with your players listed in the 2 deep, but I suspect Tindall might overtake Crowder in the starting lineup. But all of the top 4 should see significant snaps. And I would expect Walker to be ahead of Dean because he has a year of experience in the defensive scheme. Injuries happen though, so Dean should get in the field some as well. Might see Dean make a move up the depth chart later in the season. 

It's being floated that Quay Walker might cross train at OLB, and everyone has more experience with the plays and a guy will be able to call them (Rice or Crowder), so that's why I put whoever practices better out of those 2.

50 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

What’s your point?

That Justin isn't all what you think he is. Yeah he's talented but he won't do jack in the NFL or even in college if he doesn't start to learn

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

That Justin isn't all what you think he is. Yeah he's talented but he won't do jack in the NFL or even in college if he doesn't start to learn

So why don’t you let him learn? :tiphat:

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Booth and potentially Haselwood were the biggest misses?  Who else are the ones that got away that we really needed?  

it's hard to call guys who have no interest in your program a miss.  I would say the 2 guys i wish we got were haselwood and booth, but there is a story why we didn't get either.. booth, hinton, and other instate kids had no interest in staying instate.. I could look at that top 10 and the guys we had a shot with we got.  the guys who wanted to leave state with ties to other programs we missed on them.. there are cycles like that.  i remember about 5 or 6 years ago we had a cycle where most of the instate kids had direct ties to other programs and they wouldn't even consider UGA.  the one issue with Georgia and is because we have so many transplants that we have to overcome that before we get serious.. we have the same thing though help us with kids who want to leave other states.. we signed players from 10 states so we did fine filling out needs..  however the instate poor showing must not happen in 2020.. 

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

thanks for posting.. dawgnation is killing it with their daily podcasts.. 

9 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

it's hard to call guys who have no interest in your program a miss.  I would say the 2 guys i wish we got were haselwood and booth, but there is a story why we didn't get either.. booth, hinton, and other instate kids had no interest in staying instate.. I could look at that top 10 and the guys we had a shot with we got.  the guys who wanted to leave state with ties to other programs we missed on them.. there are cycles like that.  i remember about 5 or 6 years ago we had a cycle where most of the instate kids had direct ties to other programs and they wouldn't even consider UGA.  the one issue with Georgia and is because we have so many transplants that we have to overcome that before we get serious.. we have the same thing though help us with kids who want to leave other states.. we signed players from 10 states so we did fine filling out needs..  however the instate poor showing must not happen in 2020.. 

I think over the coming years we'll see less and less of kids wanting to go out of state. Now that UGA is establishing itself as one of the true 4 or 5 blueblood programs every single year, more kids are going to be growing up in GA and dreaming of getting a chance to play for the homegrown national power. I think part of the problem with the 2019 class is those kids didn't start their high school football careers with UGA being a dominant program that they could count on being in the hunt every single year.  

SacFalcFan, sdogg and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Because he clearly doesn't want to. He wants the job handed to him instead of learning and earning it. 

sdogg likes this

5 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Because he clearly doesn't want to. He wants the job handed to him instead of learning and earning it. 

That's the impression I got, even more so after the comments he made leaving the field vs USC. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

27 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I think over the coming years we'll see less and less of kids wanting to go out of state. Now that UGA is establishing itself as one of the true 4 or 5 blueblood programs every single year, more kids are going to be growing up in GA and dreaming of getting a chance to play for the homegrown national power. I think part of the problem with the 2019 class is those kids didn't start their high school football careers with UGA being a dominant program that they could count on being in the hunt every single year.  

I don't disagree on that premise overall, but i think we will always have transplants and no matter what situation our program is in it won't matter because they have ties outside out state.  I don't believe for a second if we were dominate the last decade we would have signed chris hinton, owen pappoe and most of the guys we lost out on.. each year will be different.. some will have grown up in the state of georgia and don't have parental ties outside our state and other years we will a handful that all want out of the state because of those ties.  as a staff you know which ones you have a real shot with and which ones you don't.. also rankings mean nothing regarding evaluation of the staff.. morris' ranking didn't match pittman's view of him and harry miller we could have had a shot to recruit him, but pittman didn't have him as a priority early on and at that point it was too late once he committed to ohio state.. his mom wanted him out of state and at ohio state, but we never gave ourselves a real shot.  i think the 2019 instate group of kids is going to be the exception than the norm.  checking the 2020 and 2021 we have a lot more kids who grew up in this state and most don't have out of state ties.  i know kirby wants to do better instate and he will in the next 2 classes.. IMO recruiting is borderless.  years ago it used to mean a lot, but more and more kids are traveling to go to school and it's more about evaluating and finding out top targets and going all in for them.  the field's fiasco also hurt us with a few bigtime targets due to what he told them..  we won't have that issue in 2020 or beyond either.  

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

No one “let’s him learn.” Justin is the only one that controls that in truth. So far it appears... to most of us, at this point, that Justin hasnt exactly excelled with the “learning” or at least not to a point that puts him ahead of, or equal to, Fromm.

Could he? Maybe. (I actually believed he would; just not likely until next August)  But it also appears pretty clear that Justin doesn’t truly want the competition next Spring and beyond with Fromm... so he is exploring his transfer options.

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

You make a great point...however, depth at a position is something kids have to consider.  We just had the #3 class, #1 class & #2 class consecutively.  Lots of talent along the starters and backups.  I don’t blame a kid for going out of state when you have such talent at the backup positions.  Our backup OL is nearly all 5 star recruits.  I love it

Edited by Falconsin2012
Wardog357 and sdogg like this

2 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Then tell g-dawg to stop bringing him up in here

You brought Justin’s name into this above - not me!  I can take you to the post above if need be ;)

Carter had mentioned a failure of Ohio State QBs and Oklahoma WRs - I mentioned that it’s not really a school thing but a skills/traits thing - you said that don’t mean jack **** AND YOU threw Justin Fields name out.  We weren’t discussing Justin Fields but you brought it up to try and trigger me, Ace.

8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Good post and always respect your takes.

As to the Ohio State QBs and Oklahoma WRs - I don’t really put much stock in those distinctions.  Skills, Traits, Talent and the hard to determine “competitiveness” and  desire to be great usually win the day - that happens whether a player is from University of Buffalo, Miami of Ohio or Ohio State.  There are so very few great NFL QB prospects.

As to fans judging qualities like character and toughness,  I don’t believe there’s enough known on either kid to judge just yet - one is a college freshman and the other a high school player - people nowadays are in such a rush to judge these kids and give their hot takes - not talking about you Carter - but fans/messageboards in general.

So you weren't talking about fields? Mkay