g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

okay so there is a thread on justin rogers on volnation.  vol fans saying will friend *****slapped pittman head to head once again.. LOL wow they are so desperate. 

They take everything Atlanta Vol says as gospel and get their hopes up for every recruit.  It’s glorious.

SacFalcFan and RandomFan like this

I thought this was an interesting discussion about our 2020 class from over at DawgNation, figured I would share. For those that might not know, Jeff Sentell is an author at that site and their insider, SoFL_Dawg is a regular poster who has one good contact that has fed him reliable info for a while. 

JeffSentell Posts: admin 9:56AM

@SoFL_Dawg said:
I think this will be our smallest class in last three years but have the highest avg. per player.

QB - Robby Ashford (4)
RB - Zach Evans (5
)
RB - Kendall Milton (5)
WR - Jermaine Burton (4
)
WR - Leonard Manuel (4)
TE - Arik Gilbert (5
)
OG - Justin Rogers (5)
OC- Cooper Mays (3
)
OT - Tate Ratledge (4)
OT - Broderick Jones (5
) ✔️
DT - Nazir Stackhouse (4) ✔️
DT - Jamil Burroughs (4
) ✔️
DE - Miles Murphy (5)
DE - Bryan Bresee (5
)
DE - Jalcobe Cowan (4)
OLB - Zykevious Walker (4
)
OLB - BJ Ojulari (4)
OLB - Demon Clowney (4
)
DB - Fred Davis (5)
DB - Lejond Cavazos (4
)
DB - Javier Morton (4)
Ath - Tank Bigsby (4
)

Could have 10 five star players in it. I believe the class will start to come together in April...looking for Bresee and Gilbert to spearhead the class similar to Nolan this year.

This is pretty close to the mark when I advised to "aim high" with this class projection.

22 players here. 8 current guys with 5-star status. Still see 2-3 slots that can get upgraded, though.

M314 Posts: December 24

I go to school with Arik (Gilbert) and he has kept BJ (Ojulari) from flipping to Oklahoma when they came hard for him this year. He will get so many good recruits for us. 

That poster later confirmed that BJ is currently committed to UGA, I would obviously assume he means a silent commit. 

SoFL_Dawg Posts: 11:15AM

@IwantNakobe said:

I’m guessing Jeff believes we will take a better quarterback

In 20? I’m anxious to see a better QB. I think Ashford is the best QB regardless of ranking. Only two five stars (currently) in that group, both based in CA. Clemson likely lands DJ U...and the rest imo are not as good as Ashford.

JeffSentell Posts:  admin

I'd look to the trenches. Georgia should have 20-20 vision there with this cycle.

Rogers is interesting. Georgia really can see him on either side of the ball. Especially the way the UGA interior OL is now stocked for the next 2-3 seasons.

Milton gets tougher with the move made by Elias Ricks. Those two wanted to play together and yet the backs that LSU got in 2020 will now make that cross-country move a lot tougher. That's not just the overvalued "play with my boy" thing there but the fact LSU just loaded up with two elite backs in the 2019 class. That is an issue that UGA recruited against with the 2019 backs this year.

Jury is also out on Bigbsy. He's a splendid player, but at what position? A lot of elite programs think he's a DB and not a RB because he lacks that world class elite speed. But then they see what he can do with the ball in his hands on film and getting touches. Everyone is torn. That's why he is pegged as an ATH right now by most analysts.

Ashford? No worries there. He's a great young QB. But I want to see more from him from a character and intangibles and leadership standpoint.

It seems like that will be the thing for almost every insanely talented young QB these days.  (Hint, hint Justin Fields)

Pro baseball is also a very real possibility with Ashford. Very real. Like 5-10X greater than it ever was with Fields. Not quite Kyler Murray, though. Ashford is a top 200 overall talent for MLB. Easy.

The Bulldogs will also try to haul in at least 3-4 elite DBs every cycle. A miss on Elam means another slot at that spot for 2020.

Edited by RandomFan

1 hour ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

They take everything Atlanta Vol says as gospel and get their hopes up for every recruit.  It’s glorious.

yeah it's awesome.. if atlanta vol says it then they believe it.. he is about 10% right on his picks..  if he was correct they would have 15 5 stars yearly.. lol 

the great thing is since we are down to just a few spots heading into NSD in february, this staff is going to hit the 2020 kids hard and i agree about april being the time this class starts to take shape.

I like the pic but I don't trust none of the trolling lol these kids know grown ups are lurking on social media and looking for reactions. I'd love to have to have Haselwood in this class but I think the ship's sailed. 

g-dawg likes this

41 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

I will add though, that I am quite sure that Nolan is recruiting him relentlessly

Has Haselwood sent his paperwork in yet to finalize decision?

14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Has Haselwood sent his paperwork in yet to finalize decision?

only OU's staff and his family does.. they are being tightlipped even with friends of theirs.  the "rumor" is that our staff was able to convince him to hold off signing and NLI, but that is only rumor.  I don't believe anything publicly on haselwood.  

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

only OU's staff and his family does.. they are being tightlipped even with friends of theirs.  the "rumor" is that our staff was able to convince him to hold off signing and NLI, but that is only rumor.  I don't believe anything publicly on haselwood.  

10-4.

Well, as long as we assume Haselwood a goner - then only thing can happen to us fans is to be pleasantly surprised.  He is already gone as far as most of us concerned. I would give Kirby a 20% chance of pulling this particular rabbit out of the hat.

Supposedly Nolan is also really tight with Haselwood. Not sure there is much to read into it though.

Haselwood went from all Dawg to “I need to get out of here” real quick. Nolan can bug him about it but I'm pretty sure he isn’t losing any sleep over where Jadon goes to school.

g-dawg likes this

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

Supposedly Nolan is also really tight with Haselwood. Not sure there is much to read into it though.

Haselwood went from all Dawg to “I need to get out of here” real quick. Nolan can bug him about it but I'm pretty sure he isn’t losing any sleep over where Jadon goes to school.

Yeah funny how Haselwood turned - maybe all based on Fields bad mouthing UGA perhaps?  What else could make a kid turn 180 degrees like that?  From being in love with UGA to almost a disdain (if you believe the tweet). Of course 17-18 yr old kids not necessarily fully developed brains yet - I should know as I have 17yr oldboy:rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, SacFalcFan said:

Ok, that makes sense then. I thought JH sent in his LOI already, but if he didn’t then it makes sense why Nolan is still trying.

Like others I fully expect him to go eelsewhere, so I’ll be pleasantly suprised if he ends up at UGA

g-dawg likes this

49 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah funny how Haselwood turned - maybe all based on Fields bad mouthing UGA perhaps?  What else could make a kid turn 180 degrees like that?  From being in love with UGA to almost a disdain (if you believe the tweet). Of course 17-18 yr old kids not necessarily fully developed brains yet - I should know as I have 17yr oldboy:rolleyes: 

The only thing that really changed about either situation is Justin Fields soured on being at UGA in the immediate timeframe before Haselwood decommitted... and he decommitted after a visit to UGA where he was visibly having a great time and telling everyone he can’t wait to play in Athens. He also went out that weekend and spent time with Fields in particular.

It’s really sad to me how things are turning out on both of those kids. Ohio State QBs bomb hard in the NFL and Oklahoma WRs hardly ever amount to anything in the NFL. We thought both of these guys were all Dawg and would be difference makers enroute to a national championship before leaving.

I guess technically they could both still be Dawgs for all we know, but it seems very unlikely. A lot of fans now question the character and mental toughness of both guys too.

sdogg, Porter Osborne Jr and g-dawg like this

I love our class this year, but the biggest disappointment to me is that we missed on so many instate kids. Our class could have been an all time great class if we'd just been able to land the in state kids we wanted. I know there were different reasons for most of misses, but it still stinks. 

SacFalcFan likes this

6 minutes ago, Carter said:

The only thing that really changed about either situation is Justin Fields soured on being at UGA in the immediate timeframe before Haselwood decommitted... and he decommitted after a visit to UGA where he was visibly having a great time and telling everyone he can’t wait to play in Athens. He also went out that weekend and spent time with Fields in particular.

It’s really sad to me how things are turning out on both of those kids. Ohio State QBs bomb hard in the NFL and Oklahoma WRs hardly ever amount to anything in the NFL. We thought both of these guys were all Dawg and would be difference makers enroute to a national championship before leaving.

I guess technically they could both still be Dawgs for all we know, but it seems very unlikely. A lot of fans now question the character and mental toughness of both guys too.

Good post and always respect your takes.

As to the Ohio State QBs and Oklahoma WRs - I don’t really put much stock in those distinctions.  Skills, Traits, Talent and the hard to determine “competitiveness” and  desire to be great usually win the day - that happens whether a player is from University of Buffalo, Miami of Ohio or Ohio State.  There are so very few great NFL QB prospects.

As to fans judging qualities like character and toughness,  I don’t believe there’s enough known on either kid to judge just yet - one is a college freshman and the other a high school player - people nowadays are in such a rush to judge these kids and give their hot takes - not talking about you Carter - but fans/messageboards in general.

mike teevee likes this

15 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

I love our class this year, but the biggest disappointment to me is that we missed on so many instate kids. Our class could have been an all time great class if we'd just been able to land the in state kids we wanted. I know there were different reasons for most of misses, but it still stinks. 

I agree with a few guys instate I would have liked to see us get, but overall there were too many guys who wanted to go elsewhere that our staff could have wasted a lot of time on them or do what they did and get players either equal or better than what we had instate.  I count only a few guys I wish our staff had gotten instate this year.  Booth was the big one for me.  

11 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

I agree with a few guys instate I would have liked to see us get, but overall there were too many guys who wanted to go elsewhere that our staff could have wasted a lot of time on them or do what they did and get players either equal or better than what we had instate.  I count only a few guys I wish our staff had gotten instate this year.  Booth was the big one for me.  

Booth and potentially Haselwood were the biggest misses?  Who else are the ones that got away that we really needed?  

I find it hard to be angry about in state recruiting this year, not if you actually sit back and think about it logically anyway.

I mean, guys like Booth and Hinton, I'd've loved to have for sure, but there was just no interest. 

There are very few misses here that I would qualify as recruiting misses or being out recruited. The above just never had any interest, and then you have kids like Morris, who's afraid of competition (big boy recruiting problems), and Pappoe, who was told from his freshman season he was the next coming at ILB, and couldn't out his ego aside as a result, with Auburn, desperate for talent, catering to that. Miller, we got better in Webb, and with most others we just took better out of state talent in a down year in state.

Remember, we got the real #1 player in GA in Nolan.

The big miss for me will absolutely be Haselwood. We had him, and we lost him.