g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Since it doesn't appear like we will get Haselwood, what WR will we go after as a plan B?

Not sure we need another one if no one jumps early. Think part of it is that you go after the number 1wr when he’s in state. 

g-dawg and sdogg like this

Jake Rowe 52238 posts

3 hours ago

I noted it in the practice report and I think it's worth mentioning again, Jermaine Johnson is THE single most impressive physical specimen I've seen on the hoof since covering UGA. That includes Isaiah Wilson and Ben Cleveland.

Towers over D'Andre Walker. Expected to see a bit of a lanky guy but he's a monster. Huge dude.

Jake Rowe 52238

118 minutes agovia Mobile

munsonsbrokenchair said... (original post)

Lorenzo Carter like? 

Bigger IMO.

Edited by 95Dawg
TheTrue7, sdogg, Turkeydawg and 3 others like this

Blue Chip Recruits: State Shares, 2006-2018

1 Texas 752 14.5% 14.5%
2 Florida 738 14.2% 28.7%
3 California 595 11.5% 40.1%
4 Georgia 415 8.0% 48.1%
5 Ohio 238 4.6% 52.7%
6 Louisiana 201 3.9% 56.6%
7 Alabama 178 3.4% 60.0%
8 Virginia 166 3.2% 63.2%
9 Pennsylvania 163 3.1% 66.3%
10 North Carolina 160 3.1%

69.4%

SacFalcFan likes this

9 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Jake Rowe 52238 posts

3 hours ago

I noted it in the practice report and I think it's worth mentioning again, Jermaine Johnson is THE single most impressive physical specimen I've seen on the hoof since covering UGA. That includes Isaiah Wilson and Ben Cleveland.

Towers over D'Andre Walker. Expected to see a bit of a lanky guy but he's a monster. Huge dude.

Jake Rowe 52238

118 minutes agovia Mobile

munsonsbrokenchair said... (original post)

Lorenzo Carter like? 

Bigger IMO.

Is  6' 6 and weighs 240 big? 

10 minutes ago, The Great American said:

Is  6' 6 and weighs 240 big? 

You’d have to ask Jake. Maybe he is actually bigger than reported. Considering the number of guys Jake has been around I’d take his word for how big he looks. Or more impressive he looks is probably what Jake is getting at. 

Edited by 95Dawg

59 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Since it doesn't appear like we will get Haselwood, what WR will we go after as a plan B?

Perkins depending on grades..  mingo maybe. 

11 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

That’s right I forgot about Pickens. Didn’t know about Mingo. 

16 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

I didn't think we had a shot work him. Thought he was all in on Aub? 

Honestly, I'm thinking we don't need another WR unless Pickens somehow gets his grades in order and wants to come. I've been thinking about this for a while now actually, but I'm feeling we probably don't need to be recruiting as many skill players on offense as we have been. I've been thinking about this long before the Justin Fields drama too, so this isn't a knee jerk reaction. It's just that offensive skill production is so tangibly evident to most recruits in the form of stats. I.E. - catches, carries, passes, TDs, etc... There are only so many offensive play calls that we will never be able to keep happy the large amount of RBs, WRs, TEs, and sometimes even QBs we've been stockpiling. 

When we are so deep that even D. Robertson can go the whole season without a catch....whew... Yes, yes, I know the argument that he needed better conditioning and learning to block. That's fine, he's just an example. We've got Cook unhappy with touches. We lost Haselwood partially due to a lack of opportunities to make plays. Godwin was upset at some point during the season with a lack of touches. Herrien barely got to play and he'd be at least a #2 RB in most SEC backfields. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of depth and being prepared for injuries; but at some point it just becomes ridiculous. 

And I think we are at that point, at least as it pertains to skill position players on offense. For OLine that problem doesn't really exist as much, it's not stat dependent. If the backups get to come in and get some snaps then it's the same as the starters, they are doing the same things. If a backup WR comes in and runs 10 routes without a catch, he got 10 snaps but he's still going to be unhappy because he didn't get on the stat sheet and "make a difference." All the defensive players are the same as the OLine, either they get snaps or they don't. If they do, then they are probably happy. We can keep recruiting the heck out of the depth at OL and on defense.

I feel like I might not be doing a good job of explaining my point here. For example, look at Clemson. They rarely sign a full class. They are also rarely pushing players out before their time is up or having people transfer out due to playing time. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want to do things like Clemson in recruiting. But I wouldn't mind taking a page out of their book and cutting back on a few of the offensive skill positions on the roster in order to try and maximize their production and happiness. 

Just look at the RB position. Last year we lost a true stud for the whole season in Zeus, yet we still had at least 2 RB's that didn't get to touch the ball nearly enough to keep them happy (Cook and Herrien). Not to mention that we probably could have, and maybe should have, fed the ball more to both Holyfield and Swift. We could have probably sustained 2 more season ending injuries at the RB position and still barely had enough carries to go around. Something's gotta give. 

At some point it becomes counterproductive to have so many skill position players on the roster; it's my opinion we have arrived at that point. I'd probably like it if we carried a max of 5 RBs going forward and even 4 wouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned; perhaps only 7 to 9 WRs (this year we had TWELVE on scholarship). I don't necessarily think we've been carrying too many TE's; but with the focus on getting WRs and RBs touches that in itself has reduced the opportunities TE's have been afforded. 

Edited by RandomFan
sdogg likes this

3 minutes ago, sdogg said:

I didn't think we had a shot work him. Thought he was all in on Aub? 

UGA and Bama have both been talking to him. We've really picked it up in the last few weeks, probably because of Haselwood's uncertainty. His big thing though is getting qualified. It's why he didn't sign early. 

sdogg likes this

1 hour ago, RandomFan said:

Honestly, I'm thinking we don't need another WR unless Pickens somehow gets his grades in order and wants to come. I've been thinking about this for a while now actually, but I'm feeling we probably don't need to be recruiting as many skill players on offense as we have been. I've been thinking about this long before the Justin Fields drama too, so this isn't a knee jerk reaction. It's just that offensive skill production is so tangibly evident to most recruits in the form of stats. I.E. - catches, carries, passes, TDs, etc... There are only so many offensive play calls that we will never be able to keep happy the large amount of RBs, WRs, TEs, and sometimes even QBs we've been stockpiling. 

When we are so deep that even D. Robertson can go the whole season without a catch....whew... Yes, yes, I know the argument that he needed better conditioning and learning to block. That's fine, he's just an example. We've got Cook unhappy with touches. We lost Haselwood partially due to a lack of opportunities to make plays. Godwin was upset at some point during the season with a lack of touches. Herrien barely got to play and he'd be at least a #2 RB in most SEC backfields. Don't get me wrong, I understand the importance of depth and being prepared for injuries; but at some point it just becomes ridiculous. 

And I think we are at that point, at least as it pertains to skill position players on offense. For OLine that problem doesn't really exist as much, it's not stat dependent. If the backups get to come in and get some snaps then it's the same as the starters, they are doing the same things. If a backup WR comes in and runs 10 routes without a catch, he got 10 snaps but he's still going to be unhappy because he didn't get on the stat sheet and "make a difference." All the defensive players are the same as the OLine, either they get snaps or they don't. If they do, then they are probably happy. We can keep recruiting the heck out of the depth at OL and on defense.

I feel like I might not be doing a good job of explaining my point here. For example, look at Clemson. They rarely sign a full class. They are also rarely pushing players out before their time is up or having people transfer out due to playing time. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want to do things like Clemson in recruiting. But I wouldn't mind taking a page out of their book and cutting back on a few of the offensive skill positions on the roster in order to try and maximize their production and happiness. 

Just look at the RB position. Last year we lost a true stud for the whole season in Zeus, yet we still had at least 2 RB's that didn't get to touch the ball nearly enough to keep them happy (Cook and Herrien). Not to mention that we probably could have, and maybe should have, fed the ball more to both Holyfield and Swift. We could have probably sustained 2 more season ending injuries at the RB position and still barely had enough carries to go around. Something's gotta give. 

At some point it becomes counterproductive to have so many skill position players on the roster; it's my opinion we have arrived at that point. I'd probably like it if we carried a max of 5 RBs going forward and even 4 wouldn't be a problem as far as I'm concerned; perhaps only 7 to 9 WRs (this year we had TWELVE on scholarship). I don't necessarily think we've been carrying too many TE's; but with the focus on getting WRs and RBs touches that in itself has reduced the opportunities TE's have been afforded. 

You have a HUGE roster in college football, you stack it at every position if you can.

UGA and Bama are gonna have more transfers because they have more talent.

frankly88 likes this

52 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

You have a HUGE roster in college football, you stack it at every position if you can.

UGA and Bama are gonna have more transfers because they have more talent.

Yeah, see...I don't care that we CAN. I'm saying we probably shouldn't, for good reason. 

40 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yes please to Kendall Milton - looks like next D’Andre Swift with that stick move.

That's also Zach Evans, the #1 RB in the country. The #1 and #2 RBs in 2020 are seriously considering being Dawgs. That's kind of a big deal. We will be down to 3 scholarship RBs after this next season, so I would be perfectly OK with taking both of those guys if they wanted to come. 

Edited by RandomFan

From SoFL_Dawg:

Last remaining priority targets as best player available; names I just heard 10:54 PM. No surprises 2-3 spots remaining. FWIW hearing confidence remains high on targets and impacted the Soloman news today.

Wright
Elam
Pickens
Nester
Plumlee

Stevenson is already in the bag according to him, why he's not listed. 

mike teevee likes this

51 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Yeah, see...I don't care that we CAN. I'm saying we probably shouldn't, for good reason. 

That's also Zach Evans, the #1 RB in the country. The #1 and #2 RBs in 2020 are seriously considering being Dawgs. That's kind of a big deal. We will be down to 3 scholarship RBs after this next season, so I would be perfectly OK with taking both of those guys if they wanted to come. 

Yeah, I guess l’ll be ok with it too if the #1 and #2 ranked RBs both decide to come to UGA.

:lol:

3 hours ago, RandomFan said:

From SoFL_Dawg:

Stevenson is already in the bag according to him, why he's not listed. 

So is SoFl Dawg hinting Dawgs didn’t want Solomon because they like all these guys better?

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

So is SoFl Dawg hinting Dawgs didn’t want Solomon because they like all these guys better?

Doubtful. My guess would be the staff was trying to get him to wait until the February NSD for whatever reason, probably for attrition under the 85 scholarship limit. He'd hinted before that Solomon was a Dawg, just working out the time when he could sign. I guess Solomon didn't want to wait, if that's the case. All I know is practically every insider worth his salt said Solomon to UGA was pretty much a done deal...and then it wasn't. We obviously wanted him. So who knows. 

Edited by RandomFan
g-dawg and 95Dawg like this