g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Why post this? I don't think anyone thinks we will.

Just illustrates how screwed we are if Fromm injured. We have a championship roster 1-85 except backup QB.

You cannot get caught with your pants down as a HC like this with the most important position on your roster.

I understand how great it was getting Fields (loved it!) but you always have to have a legit #3 QB if your #2 is a 50/50 transfer possibility.  The whole situation and “there is no plan” for Fields was problematic from the get-go.

I get it - it ain’t easy - but that’s why Kirby gets the big bucks and all the resources he asks for.

12 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Just illustrates how screwed we are if Fromm injured. We have a championship roster 1-85 except backup QB.

You cannot get caught with your pants down as a HC like this with the most important position on your roster.

I understand how great it was getting Fields (loved it!) but you always have to have a legit #3 QB if your #2 is a 50/50 transfer possibility.  The whole situation and “there is no plan” for Fields was problematic from the get-go.

I get it - it ain’t easy - but that’s why Kirby gets the big bucks and all the resources he asks for.

Name 3 schools that have a legit #3 that could help them win a championship. There's only a handful of schools that have 1. 

Just now, UAB_DAWG said:

Name 3 schools that have a legit #3 that could help them win a championship. There's only a handful of schools that have 1. 

I understand but if you recruit Fields behind Fromm and you have “no plan” for Fields, you almost push him out the door.  If you go “back-to-back” with Fromm and Fields with no plan for Fields, then this transfer is almost destined from the get go.  It was obvious the only plan was to let him come in enough to hopefully satisfy him to come back one more year.

Our backup now is a scout team kid that’s 5’11” and 180lbs.  

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Is this a done deal?

Jeff Sentell tweeted it. So did CBS Sports. I don't get it. I thought he was announcing tomorrow and I thought we we're the lead. 

48 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Jeff Sentell tweeted it. So did CBS Sports. I don't get it. I thought he was announcing tomorrow and I thought we we're the lead. 

Pruitt probably promised “Day#1 starter” and Kirby said “compete.”

m2Falcons and sdogg like this

Just now, Turkeydawg said:

He is not available to play this upcoming year, correct?  additionally, he will have 3 years to play two, I believe.

He will petition for this year - I think NCAA is saying now “just make something up” and we will let you play”.

sdogg likes this

18 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I understand but if you recruit Fields behind Fromm and you have “no plan” for Fields, you almost push him out the door.  If you go “back-to-back” with Fromm and Fields with no plan for Fields, then this transfer is almost destined from the get go.  It was obvious the only plan was to let him come in enough to hopefully satisfy him to come back one more year.

Our backup now is a scout team kid that’s 5’11” and 180lbs.  

You said you have to have a legit #3. I don't see many if any teams with that luxury. That's the issue I had.

As for this post, can you even acknowledge that just maybe Fields isn't prepared to start at the college level? Maybe he wasn't quite prepared for the role Kirby and Chaney wanted to use him in? I'm not saying that's the case but it is a possibility.

Also, what was Kirby supposed to do? Say not thanks, we've got our guy we don't need you to a potential generational talent? I'm sure you would have been okay with that 

m2Falcons, ncgodawgs and sdogg like this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

We won’t beat Notre Dame or Texas A&M next year at home if Stetson is starting.

1 hour ago, Dawggone said:

Why post this? I don't think anyone thinks we will.

That's just ridiculous. This isn't the NFL where you have no chance without a top flight QB. With our defense, OLine, running game and skill players we very much could, and probably should, still be able to beat Notre Dame and A&M with Stetson starting. Neither of those programs are Bama or Clemson (who are probably the only 2 teams we really must have Jake to win against). 

sdogg likes this

2 hours ago, RxDawg said:

troll

I'm actually not we disagree, but I never saw anything special with Murray and clearly the NFL said the same so meh. 

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

We won’t beat Notre Dame or Texas A&M next year at home if Stetson is starting.

The defense might be good enough to make it far more likely than you wanna' think right now.

28 minutes ago, UAB_DAWG said:

You said you have to have a legit #3. I don't see many if any teams with that luxury. That's the issue I had.

As for this post, can you even acknowledge that just maybe Fields isn't prepared to start at the college level? Maybe he wasn't quite prepared for the role Kirby and Chaney wanted to use him in? I'm not saying that's the case but it is a possibility.

Also, what was Kirby supposed to do? Say not thanks, we've got our guy we don't need you to a potential generational talent? I'm sure you would have been okay with that 

Fields was ready - lots of these insider accounts said he was beating out Fromm quite regularly at practice certain parts of the year - this BS narrative that Fields wasn’t ready was garbage.  

9 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Fields was ready - lots of these insider accounts said he was beating out Fromm quite regularly at practice certain parts of the year - this BS narrative that Fields wasn’t ready was garbage.  

Here is the bottom line, he was not going to give us a better chance to win than Fromm was.  Period.  Yes, he should have played more and I am sure he had his moments in practice, but this was Fromm's team and that was not in doubt.  At this point, it really doesn't matter.  Fields is leaving and Fromm is still our qb.

Now I can be a Debbie and ran myself out of here for a projection for about a year, but why being down on Murray? My memory is AWFUL but at times until 2012 with Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall he didn’t have a run game and still played pretty well. In comparing in college, and not on talent on Georgia QBs, I’d still put Murray over Fromm, but if Fromm can get over the hump Murray couldn’t in 2012 then he would become Georgia’s best QB, perhaps ever.

I even saw people put Greene over Fromm, which I honestly can’t agree with, although I’m pretty young. I think he’s already better than him, although it is overlapping eras so idk for sure.

But I’d say playing pretty well without a good running game is having “it”. Plus he did get over his problem with playing good teams, the issue is Georgia had a series of injuries on offense in 2013, eventually including him sadly.

Edited by VoiceofReason95
sdogg and SacFalcFan like this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

So...  if Fields was outplaying Fromm (1) quite regularly AT PRACTICE that still doesn't yet make him ready to supplant Fromm while UGA is trying to win the SEC East.. and more, and (2) then why not just keep working and go into off season with a really good chance to outplay, outperform Fromm in Spring and August and truly establish himself as the BETTER QB to win with and have THREE seasons to be the guy at UGA??

sdogg likes this

8 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

I'm actually not we disagree, but I never saw anything special with Murray and clearly the NFL said the same so meh. 

Is there a feature to ingore posters on here? I’m fine with disagreeing posts, but posting dumb things just to be antigonistic and posts that bring nothing to the table are not worth even seeing  

:tiphat:

sdogg likes this

10 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

Is there a feature to ingore posters on here? I’m fine with disagreeing posts, but posting dumb things just to be antigonistic and posts that bring nothing to the table are not worth even seeing  

:tiphat:

Yes there is that's all that post really was I had a different opinion that's it, but there is an ignore feature.

17 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Beating Fromm in practice at times is not the same as being ready to lead a major college program on Saturdays. Again, I'm not saying he was or wasn't but it's not unbelievable or garbage.

sdogg likes this

20 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

The one time I saw them give Fields the full reign of the offense (which includes calling checks at the line and operating with motion) he had two back to back delay of games and took a huge sack to put us out of field goal range. I'm not saying the kid isn't talented and certainly not saying he can't do it but he most certainly was not ready to handle the full offense on Saturday this year. Next year or the year after with reps? Probably but he's obviously not patient enough to put in the time and wait for his turn.

UAB_DAWG, sdogg and m2Falcons like this

9 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

Yes there is that's all that post really was I had a different opinion that's it, but there is an ignore feature.

Not really. A different opinion would have been ”He was a good college QB, but I don’t think he was as good as y’all remember. He didn’t show up in the NFL at all”. Not “I never saw anything special” after several people cited specific instances of special play and despite the fact that he is the leading passer in yards in SEC history.

giphy.gif

sdogg, 95Dawg and Porter Osborne Jr like this

29 minutes ago, Ransack said:

The one time I saw them give Fields the full reign of the offense (which includes calling checks at the line and operating with motion) he had two back to back delay of games and took a huge sack to put us out of field goal range. I'm not saying the kid isn't talented and certainly not saying he can't do it but he most certainly was not ready to handle the full offense on Saturday this year. Next year or the year after with reps? Probably but he's obviously not patient enough to put in the time and wait for his turn.

You mean the game where Justin threw two TDs and should have been 3 TDs passing, 100yds rushing and 1 TD in two and a half quarters of play?  That game?

Your narrative above is so ignorant.  To think a dual threat QB that gets 5 plays a game(2-3 pass plays) is going to risk a sack to go through three progressions and throw the ball away or take a sack - it makes no sense.   You are not understanding what Justin understood - that he would get just a few opportunities a game to make a play - he tried to maximize his limited opportunities.