g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I believe a lot of the guys that bash Fields - not just here but other places like the Rant - are really going to be shocked and stunned when they see a full year of Justin Fields as a starter for a school like Ohio State.   The kid is gonna produce somewhere at a very high level.   Now if he goes to FSU, he might be injured on every dropback.   

Well.. lots of QBs have done well at Ohio State.. then not so much at the next level.. just saying.. 

also, concerning his ability/inability to read defenses.. now don’t misinterpret me here.. but what did he read on the fake punt? 

Edited by TheTrue7

3 hours ago, Carter said:

I saw guys who said they talked to DRob though and he wasn’t under any false impression according to them. Said that DRob talked about not being conditioned for SEC football and still working on blocking better. At Cal and many other places the receivers just run and catch, that’s their role. The SEC being a lot more run heavy with FAST defensive players requires more physical play by receivers and willingness to block anyone. From what I saw he understood that and wanted to work.

Not saying Cook doesn’t want to do all that but I think he was misled when we were recruiting him and @youngbloodz will tell you coaches will say about anything. In general I think our staff is good about being upfront with guys and selling the idea of competing for playing time. But I’m sure they definitely play it up some when necessary to get a guy like Cook.

I think part of the issue is between what the coaches say and what these recruits hear. A coach tells a guy he can step on campus and earn a lot of PT with you’re kind of talent. 

The kid thinks well I’m a baller so I’m gonna beat these guys out and get my snaps. Then he gets on campus and realizes these guys are great but I’m not getting the snaps I thought I would and then gets upset.

and there’s also situations where I can see a coach promising something to Cook for example, where he will have a certain role and due to injuries, offensive struggles, other guys not performing as expected (either good or bad) and that doesn’t happen. 

Both are understandable situations but perception and reality are always the same and best laid plans don’t always pan out. 

sdogg likes this

14 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Well.. lots of QBs have done well at Ohio State.. then not so much at the next level.. just saying.. 

also, concerning his ability/inability to read defenses.. now don’t misinterpret me here.. but what did he read on the fake punt? 

12 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

Yeah....  and just look at all the success the Ohio State QBs have in the NFL.

:tiphat:

Which colleges would you guys say are doing a good job of developing NFL quarterbacks?

1 minute ago, Billy Ocean said:

Which colleges would you guys say are doing a good job of developing NFL quarterbacks?

I’d lean more towards conferences preparing quarterbacks for the speed and physicality of the next level.. also schools that run pro style offenses I would tend to believe do a better job of preparing them for the pros.. 

i know you’re sitting there thinking “way to dance around the question”.. but I still believe UGA does a pretty good job compared to OSU in that department 

18 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

What did Alabama read on the fake punt?   Their defense was still on field.

Hey, let’s blame the QB transferring out for the dumbest coaching call in SECCG history.

Billy Ocean and L.A.Falcon Fan like this

Just now, g-dawg said:

What did Alabama read on the fake punt?   Their defense was still on field.

Hey, let’s blame the QB transferring out for the dumbest coaching call in SECCG history.

How’d I know you’d take offense right after a comment saying don’t misinterpret.. thus I wasn’t blaming him so untwist your JF panties chief.. 

was just wondering what might have been going through his head when “reading the defense”

11 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

I can't think of one Ohio State QB that starts in the NFL.

1 hour ago, m2Falcons said:

Perhaps their HS coaches and parents could have done better in keeping the kid grounded....  while they’re enjoying their “elite talent” growing up. I’ve seen it first hand with several kids over the years...

Star high school football players have always gotten their butts kissed in their communities, but it was probably easier to keep recruits grounded back before we had internet recruiting sites and adults sitting around posting about kids on social media. ;)

itsjustafleshwound likes this

Stevenson as we mentioned before is going to sing his NLI and the team who he committed to should know his destination and then he will go public on the 5th..  regarding recruiting the dc hire will most likely happen after the bowl game.  i am sure they have a good handle already on who the hire will be (i believe some recruits like stevenson already know).  

6 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

How’d I know you’d take offense right after a comment saying don’t misinterpret.. thus I wasn’t blaming him so untwist your JF panties chief.. 

was just wondering what might have been going through his head when “reading the defense”

Just saw Chip Towers start this same narrative.

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

I can't think of one Ohio State QB that starts in the NFL.

I'm trying to think if any UGA quarterbacks other than Stafford, Quincy Carter and Eric Zeier have started an NFL game in my lifetime.

Just now, Billy Ocean said:

I'm trying to think if any UGA quarterbacks other than Stafford, Quincy Carter and Eric Zeier have started an NFL game in my lifetime.

I'm not saying UGA is better at it than Ohio State. If I'm a QB wanting to develop into an NFL guy I'm looking at A&M or Michigan. Not the schools he's looking at. 

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I'm not saying UGA is better at it than Ohio State. If I'm a QB wanting to develop into an NFL guy I'm looking at A&M or Michigan. Not the schools he's looking at. 

ransack explained it earlier regarding the differences in systems.  both systems you can have success in college, but only 1 system really prepares you for the nfl when you are dealing with a qb with nfl talent.  the other side of it, it takes longer to learn and be able to handle an offense where you do the presnap reads then you are told what play to be in..  

5 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

DJ got injured at the wrong time..

Just now, SacFalcFan said:

ransack explained it earlier regarding the differences in systems.  both systems you can have success in college, but only 1 system really prepares you for the nfl when you are dealing with a qb with nfl talent.  the other side of it, it takes longer to learn and be able to handle an offense where you do the presnap reads then you are told what play to be in..  

Was he saying UGA is more reading or pre-planned?

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

Was he saying UGA is more reading or pre-planned?

(It all depends on what sort of system he's put in. Is it a walk to the line and look at the sideline for a check. Run the play and if the first read is covered then run system? Or is it a call the play in the huddle, have two plays in hand, walk to the line, read the defense, check into the right play, adjust the line protections, call motion, and then execute a multiple route tree concept based on coverage? 

If you were wondering we run the latter and you aren't going to play if you can't execute it.  If everyone remembers they insulated Fromm quite a bit as a freshman. Some called in handcuffing. Fields got the same treatment.)

***  UGA is the 2nd offense..  There is a lot more to running an offense as a QB in our system than another system like OU for instance.  Our system is what is ran in the NFL and when you have 2 players who have nfl talent there is no question the player who has to learn how to run our system will be more ready for the nfl. 

Hey guys here are some 2020 info.. a good read.. 

1. ATH (TE?) Arik Gilbert (CBs: 100% UGA) 
2. OT Myles Hinton (CBs: 100% MICH) 
3. DE Myles Murphy (CBs: 100% UGA) 
4. OT Broderick Jones (UGA commit) 
5. RB Tank Bigsby (CBs: 100% UGA) 
6. OT Tate Ratledge (CBs: ALA: 67%, UGA 33%. Rusty has said Dawgs might be feeling good here. 
7. DT Jamil Burroughs (UGA commit) 
8. QB Harrison Bailey (UT commit) 
9. WR Kobe Hudson (AU commit, bad year and Malzahn being let go next year could help.) 
10. QB Max Johnson (LSU commit)

So if the CBs hold (LONG way to go) and Rusty’s feelings stand up on Ratledge, the Dawgs could land at least 6 of the top 10 in the state for 2020.

They also have 100% of the CBs for:

11. WDE BJ Ojulari 
19. WR Rico Powers Jr. 
20. DT Nazir Stackhouse (commit)

17. Zykeivous Walker has been CB’d to UGA by Kipp.

9 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I'd go with Lincoln Riley over Jimbo or Harbaugh. Mayfield seems to be adjusting to the NFL pretty well.

Ovie_Lover likes this

4 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

I'd go with Lincoln Riley over Jimbo or Harbaugh. Mayfield seems to be adjusting to the NFL pretty well.

Yeah that's one I forgot too. I'd go there before anywhere else.

Billy Ocean likes this

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

Yeah that's one I forgot too. I'd go there before anywhere else.

Yeah when it came transfer time, Mayfield and Murray chose wisely.

Wisconsin wouldn't be one of my top choices, but Chryst did a great job working with Russell Wilson when he transferred there for his final year. 

34 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

Is it the UGA offensive system or talent recruited (which falls squarely on the coaches we had)? 

Hmm. when you get the likes of Lambert, Ramsey, Gray, Mason, Cox, Mett. (even though he did make some starts but also only briefly was he at UGA) etc that's not talent that any system will make into a NFL caliber QB.

We did have Shockley, Greene and Murray and all 3 were drafted and hung around a few years on the bench.  Unfortunate.  I really would've liked at least Shockley and Murray to have had a better shot.

2 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Is it the UGA offensive system or talent recruited (which falls squarely on the coaches we had)? 

Hmm. when you get the likes of Lambert, Ramsey, Gray, Mason, Cox, Mett. (even though he did make some starts but also only briefly was he at UGA) etc that's not talent that any system will make into a NFL caliber QB.

We did have Shockley, Greene and Murray and all 3 were drafted and hung around a few years on the bench.  Unfortunate.  I really would've liked at least Shockley and Murray to have had a better shot.

I think Stafford would've been an NFL quarterback wherever he went. I'd like to see the Jaguars trade for him.

95Dawg likes this

Just now, Billy Ocean said:

I think Stafford would've been an NFL quarterback wherever he went. I'd like to see the Jaguars trade for him.

Yep Stafford was the exception and also the highest rated QB Richt brought in.  He would've made it from any college most likely.  Believe Kiper already had him pegged as #1 pick before he even played in a game at UGA.