g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Rusty seems to think we have Solomon sooner, rather than later.

Wow, that would be nice.  What’s your guys thoughts on Solomon?  Obviously highly touted 5* out of high school but didn’t break through Freshman year.  He was injured this year, right?

With Travon Walker and now Solomon plus emergence of Jordan Davis plus 2020 guys, I see a brighter future for us on the Defensive Line.

1 hour ago, jeffro2000 said:

Andy Dalton comes to mind when thinking of an NFL comparison to Fromm.

Would an NFL team take that type of QB in the 1st/2nd Rd? Most years, they have. 

Fromm's size will hurt him some, his arm is okay, not elite, but his football IQ and leadership (hopefully 4yr starter), is going to be very appealing unless every team is only looking for the next P. Mahommes. 

Fromm would have to go to a team with a running game and defense. I can see the Patriots or Steelers taking him in the second or third round...

Falconsin2012 likes this

9 hours ago, Ricky Fontaine said:

Hey guys I’m a longtime lurker who’s been longer than a lot of y’all. ( originally LAFalconfan hey again Sac)

Anyhow, just thought I’d drop this info off here...it’s a dewzy!

“This is what I heard after LSU.....

Hearing that there is and was alot of internal issues leading up to the LSU loss. Players divided over the QBs. And not happy with smart.  Team bus was getting ready to leave and a player wasnt there ( possibly brenton cox) so coach Gant called him and he answered, wtf u want???  Gant told him he needed to get his *** to the bus. His response was.... "I'm not going anywhere till I get my nut"..... heard one of the players went after smart at practice.....rumored to be 20+ players talking about transferring....

When Kirby would say “lack of leadership” in press conferences he was talking about none of the upper classmen checking the Freshman.  The freshman were running wild and he had lost the team.  Now we are at that point and we have 2-3 possibly looking at leaving and he just put another **** of a class on top of it.   I think this is a small fire compared to where things were then.  I have faith that he can put it out.  Fields has to want it put out too to be playing in the bowl game. 

If he dumps Cheney and replaces him with a guy that has NFL experience I think that’s enough to keep Fields.   Just dumping Cheney May keep all 3 potential transfers.  They are all offensive skill players. 

Blame it on Chaney and lots all move on and win some ships.”

I'm guessing Cook is upset with his lack of touches?

At this point, are we really still trying to keep Fields?

I know Chaney looks bad from time to time, but we had a top 5 offense. Lose Chaney, and you may lose Pittman.

g-dawg and jtcrews75 like this

16 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Wow, that would be nice.  What’s your guys thoughts on Solomon?  Obviously highly touted 5* out of high school but didn’t break through Freshman year.  He was injured this year, right?

With Travon Walker and now Solomon plus emergence of Jordan Davis plus 2020 guys, I see a brighter future for us on the Defensive Line.

I have not watched him play at all, but i imagine that if we are willing to bring him on, we feel strongly enough about his ability to be a player for us.

26 minutes ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

I know Chaney looks bad from time to time, but we had a top 5 offense. Lose Chaney, and you may lose Pittman.

Part in bold is the key item. Pittman came here mostly due to Chaney and I'd say he's probably reason #2 right behind Kirby (if not 1A, 1B) for this programs drastic turnaround. 

ncgodawgs, g-dawg, m2Falcons and 1 other like this

Now that signing day is over. Can someone explain to me why Fields transfer timing was so bad? Seems like it gave the staff an opportunity to get a QB to sign. If he wants to transfer he has to go in the portal and that would have come out regardless right? Also, are kids in this year's class tied that tightly to Fields? I mean if that is all it takes to lose a kids interest, you are probably better off down the road. 

30 minutes ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

Listen, I don't want to defend Fields today except to say that there has been some misconceptions about this young man's character put out there. Let's just leave that for a separate subject. In regards to recruiting. Fields was repeatedly shown to have more talent and to be frank, you can't say on one hand we are gonna play the best players, then not follow through with that when from the couple of people I do know down there (not trying to sound like an inside guy) Fields was markedly more talented than Fromm and it was very evident to coaches, staff and the other players.

It will and has already be used as a negative recruiting tactic against us. (See Jimbo Fisher's comment from last night as an example)

6 minutes ago, Ricky Fontaine said:

Listen, I don't want to defend Fields today except to say that there has been some misconceptions about this young man's character put out there. Let's just leave that for a separate subject. In regards to recruiting. Fields was repeatedly shown to have more talent and to be frank, you can't say on one hand we are gonna play the best players, then not follow through with that when from the couple of people I do know down there (not trying to sound like an inside guy) Fields was markedly more talented than Fromm and it was very evident to coaches, staff and the other players.

It will and has already be used as a negative recruiting tactic against us. (See Jimbo Fisher's comment from last night as an example)

Fields might have more talent but the coaches are always going to play the guy that knows the system inside and out and can make it work. A wing and a prayer doesn't win games just ask Mike Vick.

35 minutes ago, GAbred said:

Now that signing day is over. Can someone explain to me why Fields transfer timing was so bad? Seems like it gave the staff an opportunity to get a QB to sign. If he wants to transfer he has to go in the portal and that would have come out regardless right? Also, are kids in this year's class tied that tightly to Fields? I mean if that is all it takes to lose a kids interest, you are probably better off down the road. 

The timing was bad because you don’t want to give other teams possible ammunition to sway potential recruits one one or another. Coaches want to be able control what and how recruits find out certain information. 

As to Fields, yes he has close relationships with some recruit in this years class, Halzelwood is the first that comes to mind. What actual effect is Fields to their decision, I don’t know 

Edited by Bdawg58
sdogg and Turkeydawg like this

7 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Fields might have more talent but the coaches are always going to play the guy that knows the system inside and out and can make it work. A wing and a prayer doesn't win games just ask Mike Vick.

I disagree to extent, they are going to play the guy that gives them the best chance to win. If Fields stayed and it was between him and Stetson Bennett, who knows the offense really really well, Fields would be the starter because his talent gives the team a better chance to win.

sdogg likes this

16 minutes ago, Ricky Fontaine said:

Being more physically talented than another player at ANY position does not make you a better player; nor does the ability to make the ocassional splash play.

For a QB the physical talent part, barring a huge disparity, is a few rungs more down the list than other positions. QB is a “sum of the parts” thing and that’s where Fields hasn’t yet passed Fromm.

jtcrews75 and sdogg like this

1 hour ago, itsjustafleshwound said:

I think we lied a little to Cook and had him under the impression that he would have a bigger role as a freshman.

I think the answer is definitely yes, we want Fields to stay. There is no better option behind him. We are one play away from Dwan Mathis or Stetson Bennett being our starter. Fans are blowing this up way more than what it really is.

Pittman is not tied to Chaney. Pittman is at UGA for the long haul, he will probably stay until he retires. I think we should go after Matt Canada or maybe a good NFL guy.

The smoke about the locker room not being in a good place before the LSU blowout/bye from a couple of different places is very interesting. From what we can see, leaders emerged after that and the coaching staff was able to put together a major turnaround mentally that we wouldn't have seen with the previous regime which if so (and it does look it), I have to give major props.

I do have to agree that at times it didn't look like "the best players will play" was true but in some cases, unfortunately I get it. At LB, Channing Tindall, Adam Anderson (at OLB), and Quay Walker were probably more talented, but you need a guy that knows the playbook well so they can call out the plays. Now that they've been here for a year, you should see them more. The starters at ILB will be Rice/Crowder, then Tindall/Quay or Dean will get a lot of time as backup.

The Brian Herrien-James Cook stuff didn't really make much sense to me most of the time over the season. Herrien might be a practice warrior, but outside the first half of his freshman season, he hasn't really shown much to me. Cook should've been the 3rd RB like Swift was in 2017, but instead during that turnaround, they chose to mainly go with 2 guys. Now next year, if we keep Cook and Herrien doesn't grad transfer, I'll be disappointed if we see Herrien get much run at all, it should be Cook and bringing Zeus along slowly to start.

33 minutes ago, Carter said:

I think we lied a little to Cook and had him under the impression that he would have a bigger role as a freshman.

I think we probably told him that if he proved himself, he would have a bigger role.  There is no way to tell how an 18 yr old kid is going to prepare, learn and be ready to take meaningful snaps, until that person is on campus.  Heck, just look how little D Roberton played this year.  It's easy for a kid to expect more, when in reality, they shouldn't most of the time.  I love what I saw from Cook, but who's snaps would he have been taking away from and would that have been the right choice?

m2Falcons, sdogg and SacFalcFan like this

I do wonder if their was tension between Fields & Fromm.  I know Fields was complimentary of Fromm after SECCG but I did notice they didn’t seem to hang out on sidelines together much during games - which is odd because most times in college and pros you seem them together.  Maybe they did more than I realized.

I noticed and asked the same thing. Usually the QB group is tight and if they are getting along, they get excited for each other when they make a play. Never saw that out of either one. I think there may be some teeth to this thought.

g-dawg likes this

32 minutes ago, VoiceofReason95 said:

The Brian Herrien-James Cook stuff didn't really make much sense to me most of the time over the season. Herrien might be a practice warrior, but outside the first half of his freshman season, he hasn't really shown much to me. Cook should've been the 3rd RB like Swift was in 2017, but instead during that turnaround, they chose to mainly go with 2 guys. Now next year, if we keep Cook and Herrien doesn't grad transfer, I'll be disappointed if we see Herrien get much run at all, it should be Cook and bringing Zeus along slowly to start.

The problem there is that Cook was great in space, but he was a little one dimensional as a rb at his size.  You certainly didn't want him in there trying to pick up the blitz and outside of that, he was more of a jet sweep, as opposed to an up the middle runner.

But man, I sure don't want to lose Cook.  I was not on board when he signed with us, but he changed my mind quickly.

Edited by Turkeydawg
mike teevee likes this

11 minutes ago, Wardog357 said:

I noticed and asked the same thing. Usually the QB group is tight and if they are getting along, they get excited for each other when they make a play. Never saw that out of either one. I think there may be some teeth to this thought.

Yeah I am almost certain of it as I can be from 20,000 feet looking down.

6 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

I think we probably told him that if he proved himself, he would have a bigger role.  There is no way to tell how an 18 yr old kid is going to prepare, learn and be ready to take meaningful snaps, until that person is on campus.  Heck, just look how little D Roberton played this year.  It's easy for a kid to expect more, when in reality, they shouldn't most of the time.  I love what I saw from Cook, but who's snaps would he have been taking away from and would that have been the right choice?

I saw guys who said they talked to DRob though and he wasn’t under any false impression according to them. Said that DRob talked about not being conditioned for SEC football and still working on blocking better. At Cal and many other places the receivers just run and catch, that’s their role. The SEC being a lot more run heavy with FAST defensive players requires more physical play by receivers and willingness to block anyone. From what I saw he understood that and wanted to work.

Not saying Cook doesn’t want to do all that but I think he was misled when we were recruiting him and @youngbloodz will tell you coaches will say about anything. In general I think our staff is good about being upfront with guys and selling the idea of competing for playing time. But I’m sure they definitely play it up some when necessary to get a guy like Cook.

youngbloodz likes this

12 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

We just need to lineup more in 2 back sets and use cook as a WR out the backfield ..a sproles kinda guy

Would love that.

95Dawg likes this

9 minutes ago, Carter said:

I saw guys who said they talked to DRob though and he wasn’t under any false impression according to them. Said that DRob talked about not being conditioned for SEC football and still working on blocking better. At Cal and many other places the receivers just run and catch, that’s their role. The SEC being a lot more run heavy with FAST defensive players requires more physical play by receivers and willingness to block anyone. From what I saw he understood that and wanted to work.

Not saying Cook doesn’t want to do all that but I think he was misled when we were recruiting him and @youngbloodz will tell you coaches will say about anything. In general I think our staff is good about being upfront with guys and selling the idea of competing for playing time. But I’m sure they definitely play it up some when necessary to get a guy like Cook.

I think EVERY coach tells every recruit, you can carve a role out for yourself if you progress quickly enough.  I think it's asinine for any kid to assume that pt is guaranteed.  As I said, who would Cook be taking snaps from and it's up to the Cook to put himself in position to take snaps from someone.

And Cook didn't get to campus until summer, correct?

Edited by Turkeydawg
m2Falcons, Bdawg58 and sdogg like this

Not understanding the criticism of Herrien as a player.  He is a really solid player - picks up first downs, blocks well, good YPC, doesn’t fumble and is versatile- no diva in him at all.   If anything, I would say he’s underrated.

mike teevee, sdogg, Bdawg58 and 3 others like this

1 minute ago, Turkeydawg said:

I think EVERY coach tells every recruit, you can carve a role out for yourself if you progress quickly enough.  I think it's asinine for any kid to assume that pt is guaranteed.  As I said, who would Cook be taking snaps from and it's up to the Cook to put himself in position to take snaps from someone.

This should be common sense for all. 

m2Falcons likes this

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Not understanding the criticism of Herrien as a player.  He is a really solid player - picks up first downs, blocks well, good YPC, doesn’t fumble and is versatile- no diva in him at all.   If anything, I would say he’s underrated.

He’s definitely a dgd

m2Falcons and g-dawg like this

1 minute ago, sdogg said:

This should be common sense for all. 

Yeah but these kids have been ELITE their entire lives - best player on the field in every game they likely played.   They hear from coaches on recruiting trail from UGA:  “Come to UGA and be a part of a great team.  We have great OL and scheme, in huge games - RBU, etc.   We think you can be great in our system but you will be going against other great players - nothing promised to you.”

Kids don’t really here the part about how hard the competition will be - they think - “I got this”