g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

we are not getting wright at all.. his vol loving head coach will not let that happen.. he has made it impossible to recruit him.  what did nester, stevenson, and elam look like? 

Not sure, didn't check. Lower but probably not by much. 

Also, don't count out the PitBoss yet. Tenn couldn't get him to sign early so there is still hope. Although if we like Nester enough we may just pull the trigger soon to get it over with. 

28 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Not sure, didn't check. Lower but probably not by much. 

Also, don't count out the PitBoss yet. Tenn couldn't get him to sign early so there is still hope. Although if we like Nester enough we may just pull the trigger soon to get it over with. 

i don't see it even with pittboss..  however i think they take nester and call it a day.  nester is capable of playing RT and he is a beast of a lineman..  it's interesting kipp adams says we have 2 more spots period not including taking stevenson.. so if stevenson commits we are down to 1 spot. 

Sanders letter just arrived to UA. Had us Alabama folks in a scare for a while lol.

Until about 10 today, it looked like UGA was going to crush Saban in the H2H battles. Should make for some fun (albeit stressful) recruiting battles in the future...

Y'all have a good class coming in. Even without Fields (which who knows at this point), I still think y'all are in good shape to win the East for years to come. 

sdogg likes this

Hey guys I’m a longtime lurker who’s been longer than a lot of y’all. ( originally LAFalconfan hey again Sac)

Anyhow, just thought I’d drop this info off here...it’s a dewzy!

“This is what I heard after LSU.....

Hearing that there is and was alot of internal issues leading up to the LSU loss. Players divided over the QBs. And not happy with smart.  Team bus was getting ready to leave and a player wasnt there ( possibly brenton cox) so coach Gant called him and he answered, wtf u want???  Gant told him he needed to get his *** to the bus. His response was.... "I'm not going anywhere till I get my nut"..... heard one of the players went after smart at practice.....rumored to be 20+ players talking about transferring....

When Kirby would say “lack of leadership” in press conferences he was talking about none of the upper classmen checking the Freshman.  The freshman were running wild and he had lost the team.  Now we are at that point and we have 2-3 possibly looking at leaving and he just put another **** of a class on top of it.   I think this is a small fire compared to where things were then.  I have faith that he can put it out.  Fields has to want it put out too to be playing in the bowl game. 

If he dumps Cheney and replaces him with a guy that has NFL experience I think that’s enough to keep Fields.   Just dumping Cheney May keep all 3 potential transfers.  They are all offensive skill players. 

Blame it on Chaney and lots all move on and win some ships.”

Also pretty sure Kipp is wrong about how many we can sign...just like he was last year. 

LG1 said a while back we can sign 26 due to Walthour already being a counter for 2018. We don't have to sign that many, but we could.

3 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Sanders letter just arrived to UA. Had us Alabama folks in a scare for a while lol.

Until about 10 today, it looked like UGA was going to crush Saban in the H2H battles. Should make for some fun (albeit stressful) recruiting battles in the future...

Y'all have a good class coming in. Even without Fields (which who knows at this point), I still think y'all are in good shape to win the East for years to come. 

last year kirby crushed saban head to head and did a good job this year as well with getting webb from oxford, bama and winning nakobe dean today..  UGA had no shot at neal, we just started to recruit him.  Sanders was a loss, but after the holyfield rumors got out which was drilled into his head it was an issue and a good job by saban and his staff to get Sanders.  You use whatever you can to get a player.  It's very interesting the rankings today..  bama has 6 more players committed on the 247 composite, but it's very close.  on rivals it's a 50 point difference between the 2 classes.. both classes are elite.  now the funny part the difference between #2 and #3 (a&m) is quite big.. on rivals is almost 300 points difference.  it really shows right now it's uga and bama and then the rest when it comes to getting top talent.  

we have fromm for 2 more years.. he was a 5 star and one of the top ranked kids coming out in his class and he has shown how awesome he is on the field.. i believe he was in the top 3 in the country with the 2 heisman trophy finalist in his overall play the final 5 games of the season.  we should go hard after a qb for the 2020 class and should be in good shape.. i look forward to UGA matching up with bama this coming year.  :)

9 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Also pretty sure Kipp is wrong about how many we can sign...just like he was last year. 

LG1 said a while back we can sign 26 due to Walthour already being a counter for 2018. We don't have to sign that many, but we could.

yep i heard 26 as well which was weird why the are pushing the we have 1 more left if we get stevenson. 

10 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

last year kirby crushed saban head to head and did a good job this year as well with getting webb from oxford, bama and winning nakobe dean today..  UGA had no shot at neal, we just started to recruit him.  Sanders was a loss, but after the holyfield rumors got out which was drilled into his head it was an issue and a good job by saban and his staff to get Sanders.  You use whatever you can to get a player.  It's very interesting the rankings today..  bama has 6 more players committed on the 247 composite, but it's very close.  on rivals it's a 50 point difference between the 2 classes.. both classes are elite.  now the funny part the difference between #2 and #3 (a&m) is quite big.. on rivals is almost 300 points difference.  it really shows right now it's uga and bama and then the rest when it comes to getting top talent.  

we have fromm for 2 more years.. he was a 5 star and one of the top ranked kids coming out in his class and he has shown how awesome he is on the field.. i believe he was in the top 3 in the country with the 2 heisman trophy finalist in his overall play the final 5 games of the season.  we should go hard after a qb for the 2020 class and should be in good shape.. i look forward to UGA matching up with bama this coming year.  :)

2020 in Tuscaloosa is going to be a fun one too! Don't think UGA and UA have played in Tuscaloosa since 2007? OT game where Stafford threw a TD pass on Georgia's first play of OT...

37 minutes ago, Ricky Fontaine said:

Hey guys I’m a longtime lurker who’s been longer than a lot of y’all. ( originally LAFalconfan hey again Sac)

Anyhow, just thought I’d drop this info off here...it’s a dewzy!

“This is what I heard after LSU.....

Hearing that there is and was alot of internal issues leading up to the LSU loss. Players divided over the QBs. And not happy with smart.  Team bus was getting ready to leave and a player wasnt there ( possibly brenton cox) so coach Gant called him and he answered, wtf u want???  Gant told him he needed to get his *** to the bus. His response was.... "I'm not going anywhere till I get my nut"..... heard one of the players went after smart at practice.....rumored to be 20+ players talking about transferring....

When Kirby would say “lack of leadership” in press conferences he was talking about none of the upper classmen checking the Freshman.  The freshman were running wild and he had lost the team.  Now we are at that point and we have 2-3 possibly looking at leaving and he just put another **** of a class on top of it.   I think this is a small fire compared to where things were then.  I have faith that he can put it out.  Fields has to want it put out too to be playing in the bowl game. 

If he dumps Cheney and replaces him with a guy that has NFL experience I think that’s enough to keep Fields.   Just dumping Cheney May keep all 3 potential transfers.  They are all offensive skill players. 

Blame it on Chaney and lots all move on and win some ships.”

Can't speak to every part of this but several things match what I read and heard from more than one person, including family members at UGA. No idea about the bus incident, that doesn't even sound real... but the freshmen were definitely running wild and not being checked. My cousin straight up told me if these freshmen had come in last year (2017) there would have been fist fights. We lost some very strong leadership from 2017.

But that's a kind of risk you take with recruiting the best of the best. A lot of them have big egos. They come in feeling like rockstars. Strong team leadership to put them through that derecruitment process is critical. Saban handled this by using a player leadership council. I don't know if Kirby does that... I haven't heard anything about it if he does.

Would love to replace Chaney and I think it would go a long way toward consistent success in the future. I don't want to just replace him if it's a chance to keep Fields though. I never liked the hire to begin with. We can do a lot better.

What matches almost perfectly from that story is Brenton Cox - remember something that happened in the game where DeAndre Baker basically went after Cox and after the game Kirby seemed almost OK with it and played it down.   

You would have thought this year’s team would have been Jake’s team with regard to leadership but having the whole QB dynamic with Fields probably took away from Fromm’s ability to lead - he needs to be the unquestioned leader of the team now and going forward.

5 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

If Fromm lights it up this year he’s out of here..we really shouldn’t be so sure on him staying for a full 4 years ESPECIALLY if we win the big one. 

Not so sure about that. He seems to really love UGA and money is not an issue with the family so I don't think he will even give it much thought. I think he will really crave to be that senior leader and have the full 4 year ride at UGA.

Radi was talking the other day about pro scouts being around at practice and they would chat with those guys. Common feeling on Fromm based on those conversations seems to be that he's likely a day 1 pick but none of them expect him to come out as a junior, not because he won't be ready but because he just won't.

g-dawg likes this

I have no faith in him coming back if we win the big one. I never put him in the catergory as money being an issue..but I do put him in the category of I accomplished a mission give me the next one.

18 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

I have no faith in him coming back if we win the big one. I never put him in the catergory as money being an issue..but I do put him in the category of I accomplished a mission give me the next one.

Meh, there are GREAT college QBs that are winners and with stats that don’t quicken the pulse of NFL GMs.  

Fromm is probably a legit 6’1” with a good arm but not great.   Fromm does most everything very good but not great.   Fromm’s greatest attribute is he’s a winner and a competitor.   Fromm’s value is his intangibles.   I just don’t see him going 1st round and I think he stays.

I’ve thought Fromm would leave after next year with Justin sitting there, but with no Justin (more than likely) I sure do hope he doesn’t leave.

28 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

You could be right. He doesn’t strike me as a 3 and done guy but I guess you never know if that draft advisory board gives him a 1st round grade. Hard to turn down millions. 

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

You could be right. He doesn’t strike me as a 3 and done guy but I guess you never know if that draft advisory board gives him a 1st round grade. Hard to turn down millions. 

Hey man anything is possible ..we saw Mitch Trubisky go top 10 and be was got **** terrible in college 

Andy Dalton comes to mind when thinking of an NFL comparison to Fromm.

Would an NFL team take that type of QB in the 1st/2nd Rd? Most years, they have. 

Fromm's size will hurt him some, his arm is okay, not elite, but his football IQ and leadership (hopefully 4yr starter), is going to be very appealing unless every team is only looking for the next P. Mahommes. 

7 hours ago, Macknsweetjones said:

If we win the big one, I think we would all be ok with him not coming back.

Macknsweetjones likes this