g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

btw it does sound like cain believes holyfield is leaving early and herrien is transferring elsewhere.  time will tell if he is correct or not on that. 

Based on the projected RB class, Holyfield would be dumb to stay honestly... he's stated his case as a more than qualified back. He's a workout stud, so likely to perform well at the combine. He's going to spend the next several months likely working on shaving time off of his 40 and shuttle times as that will likely be the "weak spot" for his combine performance. If you'd asked me at the start of the season, would have thought it was crazy... but based on his performance and the RB draft class... I can't see a reason for him to stay other than love of UGA and not sure that's going to be a big enough draw (he'll almost definitely be behind Swift in the following draft were he to stick around at a minimum).

Herrien appears to feel like he can be the #1 or #2 guy at another program and is just a little frustrated with not being able to get onto the field more than he is from what I've heard. He's pure class and deserves his shot wherever he wants that to be. Such a great story from a kid who was unlikely to qualify for even a small school... to putting in the work and making it to UGA... to earning spot duty early... Wish him nothing but the best if he does elect to transfer (someone mentioned he may even be close to graduation credit level? seems strange but not impossible if he loaded up on courses in summer).

95Dawg likes this

14 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Hopefully if Golding leaves Bama, that helps us with Dean.

Currently, he's rejected offers from Ole Miss and Oklahoma according to SDS as of about an hour ago... certainly things could change after the playoffs... but Bama seems committed to trying to work out the financial side of things to keep him. I'd prefer that he leave. :)

37 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Not disagreeing with any of that, I just think losing both Holyfield and Herrien, would hurt a lot.  That would leave us with one back that has played significant minutes at rb.  Our depth will be a little scary, knowing we have Swift, an undersized Cook, Zeus - coming off 2 acl injuries, McIntosh and whoever else we get to come on board.  

yep I don't disagree from a UGA perspective.  depth will be a concern with some of the questions we have with guys returning. 

42 minutes ago, 95Dawg said:

Yep totally agree that Holyfield needs to go if he gets a good grade.  Maybe regardless.  Carries not going be easy.  More tread left.  Believe it's almost the same scenerio when Danny Ware jumped early (we had Brown and Lumpkin already and some good young RB coming in).

Only 1 reason to return = Championship.

yep..  danny ware made the right choice IMO.  not every situation works out as it did for danny, but I am happy for him.  the nfl is all about wear and tear when it comes to rbs.  

1 minute ago, SacFalcFan said:

yep I don't disagree from a UGA perspective.  depth will be a concern with some of the questions we have with guys returning. 

if Holyfield left, seems like Herrien would assume his role - don't believe the Dawgs would be counting on Cook, Zamir nor McIntosh next year.   Now if Holyfield returned, seems more natural that Herrien would leave.

Herrien is a great story - waited to long to make his grades and had to bare down at the very end just to make grades to get in school.   He must have really gotten serious as he got to Georgia and even made the Dean's list and, from all accounts, has done everything right.  Wish him success no matter if he goes or stays.  Good kid.

m2Falcons likes this

Yeah, Herrien is a great story and has been a pretty dang decent back when we needed him.  I would hope that if Holyfield were to leave early, then Herrien would stay.  With that being said, he might want to go somewhere that he would be getting a bunch more carries.

I hope Herrien gets a chance to go somewhere and ball out. He's a great talent and super tough runner. I just don't see him getting a lot of carries at UGA next year. 

Aaaand an Ohio State insider just put a crystal ball in for 2020 4* Safety Lejond Cavazos to flip to UGA. 

UGA finished 2nd for Cavazos when he committed to OSU and his father said at the time that they were shutting it down unless a coaching change occurs.

Dawgs definitely in on this one. 

30 minutes ago, Carter said:

Aaaand an Ohio State insider just put a crystal ball in for 2020 4* Safety Lejond Cavazos to flip to UGA. 

UGA finished 2nd for Cavazos when he committed to OSU and his father said at the time that they were shutting it down unless a coaching change occurs.

Dawgs definitely in on this one. 

Come. On. Down.

sdogg and Porter Osborne Jr like this

Cavazos is a great prospect btw. He was one that a lot of Buckeye fans were most excited about coming in next year. 

With Tucker gone to Colorado now, I imagine we will have to bring in a DB coach that really impresses right off the bat. There are plenty of built in relationships with UGA and this kid though. He’s friends with Nolan Smith and another one that also became friends with Fields, so that is a big connection working in our favor. 

Still a long ways to go on the 2020 class at any rate. He will keep OSU an option but Urban Meyer was the big draw for him to OSU. Dawgs should probably be considered the favorite at this early point. 

Pittman is a busy busy man this week. Yesterday he saw Warren McClendon and went in home with Clay Webb. Today he has been in West Virginia to visit with Darnell Wright and will be flying over to Rhode Island afterward to visit Xavier Truss.

Tomorrow, Pittman and Kirby are going in home with Trevor Keegan. 

Evan Neal is another one to watch. Probably the least likely of them all however. 

I think we will take 4 OL in this class. We have commits from McClendon and Truss now. If I were to guess now I’d say we close with those 2 plus Webb and Keegan. We would take Wright over Keegan but I think we’re 2nd at best for Wright at the moment.

sdogg likes this

52 minutes ago, Carter said:

Cavazos is a great prospect btw. He was one that a lot of Buckeye fans were most excited about coming in next year. 

With Tucker gone to Colorado now, I imagine we will have to bring in a DB coach that really impresses right off the bat. There are plenty of built in relationships with UGA and this kid though. He’s friends with Nolan Smith and another one that also became friends with Fields, so that is a big connection working in our favor. 

Still a long ways to go on the 2020 class at any rate. He will keep OSU an option but Urban Meyer was the big draw for him to OSU. Dawgs should probably be considered the favorite at this early point. 

He was the player that Trey Sanders said he was going to do whatever he could to make sure they both go to the same school

Best friends apparently

Smallwood reporting that coaches are keeping in contact with FSU commit Nick Cross, a serious flip candidate, and he was visited yesterday by a coach but exactly who is unconfirmed. 

Also reporting that Zion Logue has shut down his recruitment now. He will be on campus 12/13-15 for that final recruiting weekend before early signing day and he plans to sign early. 

16 minutes ago, Carter said:

Smallwood reporting that coaches are keeping in contact with FSU commit Nick Cross, a serious flip candidate, and he was visited yesterday by a coach but exactly who is unconfirmed. 

Also reporting that Zion Logue has shut down his recruitment now. He will be on campus 12/13-15 for that final recruiting weekend before early signing day and he plans to sign early. 

Glad to hear that about Logue 

13 hours ago, Carter said:

Pittman is a busy busy man this week. Yesterday he saw Warren McClendon and went in home with Clay Webb. Today he has been in West Virginia to visit with Darnell Wright and will be flying over to Rhode Island afterward to visit Xavier Truss.

Tomorrow, Pittman and Kirby are going in home with Trevor Keegan. 

Evan Neal is another one to watch. Probably the least likely of them all however. 

I think we will take 4 OL in this class. We have commits from McClendon and Truss now. If I were to guess now I’d say we close with those 2 plus Webb and Keegan. We would take Wright over Keegan but I think we’re 2nd at best for Wright at the moment.

If only we could ramp up DL recruiting to match the OL juggernaut that is pittman and smart.

43 minutes ago, richham said:

If only we could ramp up DL recruiting to match the OL juggernaut that is pittman and smart.

Yeah, I believe that is the one distinct advantage Bama has over UGA right now - gotta be able to close that gap soon.

From Clemson Rivals page...

Paul Strelow:

"A busy day on tap for Clemson recruiting Wednesday.

But perhaps not as significant as it could have been.

We earlier broke the news that Dabo Swinney would be conducting his in-home visit today with Oxford (Ala.) five-star interior lineman Clay Webb.

Per TigerIllustrated.com sources, that visit is no longer slated to happen.

Alabama’s Nick Saban and Georgia’s Kirby Smart used their in-homes Monday.

We have cast UGA and Clemson to be the two likeliestcandidates for more than a month, per feedback from contacts close to the prospect. To that end, we wrote earlier this week that we viewed Clemson as the biggest threat to UGA.

As of late Tuesday night, we have submitted a Rivals FutureCast for Webb-to-UGA based on intel gathered from multiple contacts over the last 24 hours."

54 minutes ago, richham said:

Yeah been waiting for DL recruiting to start jumping off the page like our OL recruiting has. There have not really been many top end targets to get since Coach Scott came onboard. I think we start seeing that change with the 2020 class where there is more DL talent at the top end. We already have some high end commits in that area for 2020 and it looks very very good now for us to also add 5* Bryan Bresee.

m2Falcons likes this

9 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yeah been waiting for DL recruiting to start jumping off the page like our OL recruiting has. There have not really been many top end targets to get since Coach Scott came onboard. I think we start seeing that change with the 2020 class where there is more DL talent at the top end. We already have some high end commits in that area for 2020 and it looks very very good now for us to also add 5* Bryan Bresee.

I fell good about Walker, Mitchell and Logue being solid players.  Does Walthour end up in this class?  How are we feeling about Norton?  Sounds like some were saying he had lackluster sr year.

Edited by Turkeydawg

Yes Walthour is in this class.  Norton is the bigger question.  Tray Scott did go and meet with Norton.  

regarding keegan i hear more and more about michigan with him than UGA.  it will be interesting to see what happens here.  me personally i would love wright and webb and call it a day. 

1 hour ago, Turkeydawg said:

I fell good about Walker, Mitchell and Logue being solid players.  Does Walthour end up in this class?  How are we feeling about Norton?  Sounds like some were saying he had lackluster sr year.

Definitely I think we are getting solid players. Walker should be a freakin problem for everyone. Jordan Davis has proven to be a real gem of a 3 star. Think Scott does a very good job of getting those guys coached up and playing hard. Walthour is in and should be another solid player for us.

Norton is going to be one where we’ll see how it works out. He’s visiting Tennessee next week for the weekend before early signing day. If we don’t see him sign early then more than likely either he has opened things up or we suggested he might find more playing time elsewhere and he may not be a Dawg. I don’t know. As far as I can tell he will be a Dawg but there is some uncertainty on our side of this just following the scraps of info. I’ve also seen the talk about his senior season being underwhelming.