g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I can.

Justin is uber talented player stuck as backup behind another great player that is battle tested and has confidence of the coaches.

Justin wants to play and is talented enough to start for almost all programs - probably would have started this, his freshman year, for every program  except UGA(Fromm), Bama(Tua), Oklahoma(Murray), Ohio State(Haskins), WVU(Grier), PSU(McSorley) - that’s about it - maybe Lock(Mizzou).  Only Tua and Fromm are sophomores. So, from a playing standpoint, only two teams in country were tough for a top prospect wanting to play for three years.

Doesn’t want to take chance of being backup for three years like DJ Shockley - Fields more talented  than Shock(DGD).

Talent doesn't mean you will be the starter.  Fields has more talent than Fromm, but he couldn't and shouldn't have beat him out.

sdogg, VA F.O. and fibonaccisquared like this

Just now, LawDawg said:

You guys are all getting worked up for nothing. In 2 days, you'll see a new video that ends with him saying "I'm Staying" as he's mobbed by his teammates.

Best for him to move on at this point.  He clearly isn't committed to this team.

Up until we lost to LSU...I actually thought Justin had the chance to take the job.....of course he hadn't been given enough time to develop IMHO. But Justin had about a "O" chance of taking the job after that loss. Fromm put the O on his shoulders. Played with a lot of confidence and poise. So I can see where Justin is a little frustrated, but I have to support the Coaches Decision as well.

g-dawg and sdogg like this

OK, some more info from other parts of the interwebs:

Rusty saying same as others. Entering transfer portal by tomorrow evening. Ohio St as leader, but also may stay at UGA.

Gotta think it depends if attorney can get him waiver on eligibility. Same attorney as Shea Patterson but definitely not same circumstances

Rumor is attorney encouraged Fields family to use race angle to put pressure on UGA to grant full release. Not likely to get release from NCAA. Attorney broke story. I think there is some uncertainty with Fields family and relationship with attorney. Quite the debacle!

Just now, RandomFan said:

OK, some more info from other parts of the interwebs:

To **** with them.  I hope Kirby blocks all the major players.

Alabama problems. Many levels. Many positions. Sucks hard when it’s the QB position. Fields is not DJ Shockley. Those days have passed. Maybe not. But maybe so. Life of a great organization. Get used to it. Great times for the Dawgs! For real. Be proud.  Great times now. Great times coming! 

10 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

You guys are all getting worked up for nothing. In 2 days, you'll see a new video that ends with him saying "I'm Staying" as he's mobbed by his teammates.

hope so

g-dawg likes this

Just now, Turkeydawg said:

Talent doesn't mean you will be the starter.  Fields has more talent than Fromm, but he couldn't and shouldn't have beat him out.

Fromm - I have no issue with him.

If Fields was a year older and Fromm a year younger and Eason got hurt in first game - then this whole situation could be reversed.  

Fromm cashed in on his opportunity his Freshman year - but he got the opportunity.  To his credit he locked the job down by time Eason was healthy.

So much in football (as in life) is about opportunity.  I am waxing poetic with cliche’ but is true.

Fields needs his opportunity and, if Fromm seizes his, Fields has to go elsewhere.

For all the grief I get from all of you about being a Fields homer,  I graduated from UGA 30yrs ago (first game was “The Butler Did it!” - Oh my God!) where we beat #1 Clemson 26-23.   Probably been alum longer than many of you alive.  I have been following Justin for 4 years.

I just know it takes a special QB to win a Natty and was hoping for two yrs of Jake and two of Justin or maybe Justin beat out Jake one of those years.

Kirby had put a super team together but odds of winning a Natty go way down with mediocre QBs.

We need Justin Fields, if not for now or 2019, we need him for 2020 and 2021 as our roster is at it’s theoretical peak.   

NO ONE on this thread is more bummed out than me if Fields leaves.

15 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

The school that seems to be the front runner is Ohio State, per Rusty.

Think Rusty or whoever is saying this is FOS on that one. It would be a significant violation for anyone from OSU to talk to Fields or his family or any representative about a transfer until his name appears in the transfer registry, which has not happened yet.

VA F.O. and fibonaccisquared like this

Just now, Carter said:

Think Rusty or whoever is saying this is FOS on that one. It would be a significant violation for anyone from OSU to talk to Fields or his family or any representative about a transfer until his name appears in the transfer registry, which has not happened yet.

No different than when everyone thought Eason was headed to Washington.  He wasn't actively being recruited by Peterson, but there most certainly were back channel discussions.

1 hour ago, Yo_Lover said:

He can be talented all he wants, he's weak minded like Cam. 

Doesn't that same Cam have a Natty, Heisman, and MVP plus superbowl appearance. I can smell the hater on you, and it's loud as ****.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Fromm - I have no issue with him.

If Fields was a year older and Fromm a year younger and Eason got hurt in first game - then this whole situation could be reversed.  

Fromm cashed in on his opportunity his Freshman year - but he got the opportunity.  To his credit he locked the job down by time Eason was healthy.

So much in football (as in life) is about opportunity.  I am waxing poetic with cliche’ but is true.

Fields needs his opportunity and, if Fromm seizes his, Fields has to go elsewhere.

For all the grief I get from all of you about being a Fields homer,  I graduated from UGA 30yrs ago (first game was “The Butler Did it!” - Oh my God!) where we beat #1 Clemson 26-23.   Probably been alum longer than many of you alive.  I have been following Justin for 4 years.

I just know it takes a special QB to win a Natty and was hoping for two yrs of Jake and two of Justin or maybe Justin beat out Jake one of those years.

Kirby had put a super team together but odds of winning a Natty go way down with mediocre QBs.

We need Justin Fields, if not for now or 2019, we need him for 2020 and 2021 as our roster is at it’s theoretical peak.   

NO ONE on this thread is more bummed out than me if Fields leaves.

Fields showed time and time again he wasn't ready. Ultimately, it was a problem of poise. He was too easy to panic

BUT poise comes with time, and getting used to games. Fromm, being the kind of QB/person that he is, had it game one, but that doesn't make him better than Fields, just different.

I've already said I fully expect Fields to get over his happy feet with another offseason to calm down. Then, we'd have a REAL QB rotation where defenses would have to fear either QB that was in. Then, I could very well see Fromm declaring, one, to get drafted high, and two, to avoid being overtaken.

This is why I'm just not sure it's in Fields' best interests to transfer, unless he's positive he can that waiver, and/or we're sure that Fromm is a 4 year guy, and even then it'd be up for debate imo.

fibonaccisquared likes this

15 minutes ago, sdogg said:

If they use the race card, then I'll have zero respect for Fields and his family. UGA dismissed that moron immediately. It's appalling that it is even being considered. 

Pablo Fields ain’t playing the race card.   I would be shocked if he did.   Military man, cop and mentor.

sdogg likes this

15 minutes ago, Carter said:

Yea that doesn’t seem right to me. I have a serious problem with this as the rules stand. This is professional free agency and not a transfer. He has a lawyer who seems to be operating as an agent and he’s just tossing himself out there to be courted by other schools. Once your name goes on that registry you shouldn’t be able to remain at a school like when you declare for the draft. The family needs to ditch this lawyer. This whole situation is slimey at best. 

I know the Eason family probably worked back channels with UW but their handling of his transfer was much better. And he was the incumbent starter who lost his job to an injury. Not a freshman backup

Edited by UAB_DAWG
sdogg, Turkeydawg and Carter like this

27 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Hrmm...

Doesn't sound angry to me, more frustrated but laughing at it

The frustration I get. Anger would have me thinking he's a spoiled Diva, but I don't see that

1 minute ago, UAB_DAWG said:

Yea that doesn’t seem right to me. I have a serious problem with this as the rules stand. This is professional free agency and not a transfer. He has a lawyer who seems to be operating as an agent and he’s just tossing himself out there to be courted by other schools. Once your name goes on that registry you shouldn’t be able to remain at a school like when you declare for the draft. The family needs to ditch this lawyer. This whole situation is slimey at best

If it really is all the lawyer, then yeah, they need to move on, and make a public statement. These are their fellow people that they live among, and the whole thing is really painting them in a bad light right now, whether that's fair or not

16 minutes ago, sdogg said:

If they use the race card, then I'll have zero respect for Fields and his family. UGA dismissed that moron immediately. It's appalling that it is even being considered. 

And? I understand that they may have done that, but look at this board for Christ sake I've read since about page 33 up until now, and guys like G-dawg and others seem to be the voice of reason at this point.

Any kid decides to transfer go right on ahead coaches still leave all the **** time there is no such thing as loyalty anymore. Those days are long dead, and just because UGA kicked the boy out we don't know how Justin feels about that can't just go telling people to get over **** when it didn't happen to you.

If he's leaving I'll root for him whenever he lands.

2 minutes ago, Zone#7 said:

And? I understand that they may have done that, but look at this board for Christ sake I've read since about page 33 up until now, and guys like G-dawg and others seem to be the voice of reason at this point.

Any kid decides to transfer go right on ahead coaches still leave all the **** time there is no such thing as loyalty anymore. Those days are long dead, and just because UGA kicked the boy out we don't know how Justin feels about that can't just go telling people to get over **** when it didn't happen to you.

If he's leaving I'll root for him whenever he lands.

Here we go...

sdogg likes this