g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

He should transfer :shrug:

No way he would have come here last year if he knew there was no chance he would beat out Fromm. 

Well... That's where he is now. Do you Justin. 

Kirby was the first coach to get back to back 5 star QBs. He can get another good one to follow behind Fromm in the next year or two. 

Hope he stays. Seems early to throw in the towel, but maybe he's seen enough to know he can't win the job. 

The timing is great imo. At least they know they have to sign a quarterback. Throw that blue shirt stuff out the door. Guys on here don't seem worried about plumlee but I sure am

g-dawg and Macknsweetjones like this

12 minutes ago, Carter said:

Freshman quarterback Justin Fields has told the Georgia coaching staff that he is looking into transferring after the conclusion of the 2018 season.

Fields asked to have his name included on the NCAA Transfer Portal list. The transfer portal took the place of the release student athletes needed to get from their coaches to speak with other schools.

Fields and his family are expected to consult with attorney Thomas Mars. Mars was instrumental in helping a number of Ole Miss student athletes appeal the NCAA rule that requires transfers between FBS schools to sit out one year. Those athletes, notable Shea Patterson of Michigan, were allowed to play immediately.

All of this does not guarantee that Fields will transfer from Georgia. He was at practice today and is expected to play in Georgia's bowl game. Still, putting his name on the transfer list so other coaches can speak with him and expecting to consult with an attorney who specializes in helping players receive immediate eligibility all point to a likely transfer.

https://uga.rivals.com/news/the-latest-on-justin-fields-2

I’m sorry but if he decides to transfer he should in no way be involved in team practice or a bowl. The way the article is written he sounds more like a free agent than a college kid if this is indeed the case. And I think granting him immediate playing time is absurd. If that incident was an issue he could have transferred during the season.

TheTrue7, 95Dawg, sdogg and 1 other like this

Welp, since everyone is already pissed off, might as well get this outta the way too. A reliable poster on DawgNation is saying he's hearing Luke Ford actually is looking to transfer after all. Supposedly to Illinois to be closer to home. Can't blame a kid for that.

And no, this is not confirmed yet, but the poster is usually pretty plugged in.

Obviously I want him to stay, but that's from a UGA fan perspective.

I'd love the situation to be both/and and him both stay here and want to, but I'm not that naive

Things will go how they will go, and if he leaves, I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around, though not necessarily something that would need be blamed on anyone

Seeing as how I neither know the minds nor the hearts of any of those involved, I can only hope, and wish him and his family the best

(unless of course they really are trying to hurt us, in which case, **** em; though I really doubt that's the case lol)

12 minutes ago, GAbred said:

Hope he stays. Seems early to throw in the towel, but maybe he's seen enough to know he can't win the job. 

The timing is great imo. At least they know they have to sign a quarterback. Throw that blue shirt stuff out the door. Guys on here don't seem worried about plumlee but I sure am

Yeah, wish he stays but seems doubtful.

As to the timing?   The timing is the timing - if this story didn’t leak out today it would have this week or next - it doesn’t really matter.  If Haselwood’s decision was based on Justin’s - hopefully not - would you really want Haselwood to make a decision w/o full information?  

If Justin leaves, all of you will finally get to see his full talent on display - will suck seeing it at Oklahoma, Ohio State or FSU.  He’s more talented than many of you here think.

At this point, all you can do is hope he stays, if he leaves, wish him the best (except when/if playing UGA) and move on.

You can at least thank him for help with 2018 recruiting class as Justin put good work in there.

12 minutes ago, Carter said:

Our coaches have already hosted this kid and his family just before the quiet period started.

3 star Texas A&M commit Zach Calzada from Buford.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/zach-calzada-170690

https://247sports.com/player/zach-calzada-46051591/

From Lanier***

Buford high absolutely hates UGA for some reason. We never get guys outta there. 

Unless you count nauta, I can't remember the last one. Which is fine. **** buford. 

youngbloodz likes this

For whatever it's worth, Trent Smallwood says he doesn't expect the Fields stuff to affect Jadon Haselwood.

I hope he's right, but if Fields transfers to OU and Haselwood announces he's going to OU then.... well, the **** was orchestrated.

But that's the word right now from Largewood. 

sdogg and RandomFan like this

1 minute ago, WOR said:

From Lanier***

Buford high absolutely hates UGA for some reason. We never get guys outta there. 

Unless you count nauta, I can't remember the last one. Which is fine. **** buford. 

Thought Nauta was from there but went to IMG?

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah, wish he stays but seems doubtful.

As to the timing?   The timing is the timing - if this story didn’t leak out today it would have this week or next - it doesn’t really matter.  If Haselwood’s decision was based on Justin’s - hopefully not - would you really want Haselwood to make a decision w/o full information?  

If Justin leaves, all of you will finally get to see his full talent on display - will suck seeing it at Oklahoma, Ohio State or FSU.  He’s more talented than many of you here think.

At this point, all you can do is hope he stays, if he leaves, wish him the best (except when/if playing UGA) and move on.

You can at least thank him for help with 2018 recruiting class as Justin put good work in there.

He can be talented all he wants, he's weak minded like Cam. 

sdogg likes this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Umm, well, kinda

What he does after he leaves here will be no indication that he could've done it this season, and it would be the same that he could do here in a later season as well, assuming he doesn't play next season

sdogg and Turkeydawg like this

3 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Some of you in this thread is part of the reason what's wrong with college sports. Take it however you want. It's a kid. 

Yep, both kid and his family being mauled right now for a guy that could have committed to anywhere coming out of high school and he chose the University of Georgia.

youngbloodz likes this

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Thought Nauta was from there but went to IMG?

Yup. Which is why I'm not sure he counts lol. He commited "from" IMG. 

I swear those buford coaches actively try to get their kids to NOT go to UGA. 

g-dawg likes this

Just now, g-dawg said:

Yep, both kid and his family being mauled right now for a guy that could have committed to anywhere coming out of high school and he chose the University of Georgia.

No one should be saying anything to them. Talk about the "situation" as a fan, fine, but people who harass others they don't even know personally...

Possible Scenario:

Justin and family might have had internal dialogue about his future and made a few calls to gauge interest from certain schools.  Franklin would certainly have to be one on the list, and it wouldn't be surprising if any of the coaches timed a leak to sprinkle a little chaos with UGA's recruiting.  And it is plausible, if in fact an attorney is involved, that they could drop a rumor bomb to generate some buzz.

Through no fault of Justin or his family, and possibly a betrayal of trust, the rumor of Justin transferring is leaked.

If there is any truth to Justin and family exploring a transfer, then the silence is explainable and understandable.  They are neither confirming nor denying, and quite possibly don't have their mind made up.

If there is no truth to the situation, I find it hard to believe that Justin, any of his close teammates and maybe above all else, Kirby, hasn't come out to squash the rumor mill.

In this instance, silence from all key parties is telling.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

So what?  Is he staying?

Doubt we can recruit a top flight dual threat QB after Fields leaves. Between Kirby saying there is no plan and what we saw on the field, that's easy pickins for any coach worth their freaking salary.

Hate to see Fields go and I think it's an instant gratification, poorly advised mistake. Hopefully he changes his mind and ends up staying. If not, whatever... Go Dawgs.