g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

Not sure what the big deal is regarding the Neal bros package offer. The bros can choose to accept it or not. It just adds to Evan Neal's options. Schools offer package deals all the time to attract talent. Nkemdiches and Ogletrees come to mind.

I agree.  The same folks that complain about college players not getting paid seem to have a problem with offering one less talented brother to get the more talented one.  This is a form of payment- I have no problem with it.

33 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

Only real difference is that you're only hurting one person there, and not bringing family into it, but yeah, never been a fan of that, even though I understand it, in both cases

That is true. I never been a fan if it either but I understand it. Just disagree with it like you. Miami is desperate with Neal. Kid will be a top 5 draft pick. But he still ain't coming to Coral Gables imo

25 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

Not sure what the big deal is regarding the Neal bros package offer. The bros can choose to accept it or not. It just adds to Evan Neal's options. Schools offer package deals all the time where one bro gets an offer simply because of his more talented sibling. Nkemdiches and Ogletrees come to mind.

I just think in this instance one brother just dont have the talent to be a power 5 player. Hey work the system cause schools make money off players all the time. 

ncgodawgs and g-dawg like this

19 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

I just think in this instance one brother just dont have the talent to be a power 5 player. Hey work the system cause schools make money off players all the time. 

Yeah, usually the sibling can at least play a little bit and would get a scholarship somewhere. In this case, the kid graduated high school 2 years ago and hasn't played football in 3years, and Miami is offering a spot???

That just screams desperation from them I mean it's Miami, not Ball State.

However, I don't really have a problem with it. Sounds like the guy has committed  himself to lose weight and give football another try. At worse, he gets a good education so good for him if it works out.

ncgodawgs, youngbloodz and g-dawg like this

1 hour ago, LawDawg said:

Not sure what the big deal is regarding the Neal bros package offer. The bros can choose to accept it or not. It just adds to Evan Neal's options. Schools offer package deals all the time where one bro gets an offer simply because of his more talented sibling. Nkemdiches and Ogletrees come to mind.

Nkemdiche wasn't a package deal.  They took a flier on the older brother a year prior, with the hope that Robert would come the next year.  

After being down about the SEC championship game I went and watched clips of Jermaine Johnson and Nolan Smith... With Anderson and Cox getting a full year in the S&C program, our pass rush is going to be nasty next year. Put me in a much better mood

Carter, jeffro2000, g-dawg and 1 other like this

55 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Nkemdiche wasn't a package deal.  They took a flier on the older brother a year prior, with the hope that Robert would come the next year.  

Boils down to the same motive for offering the less-talented sibling, right?

15 minutes ago, LawDawg said:

Boils down to the same motive for offering the less-talented sibling, right?

Motive yes, but in that situation, one wouldn't only get their scholarship if the other came

7 minutes ago, MattyIceonTap said:

Anybody think we take a run at Harry Miller, Jordan Battle or Steele Chambers with Meyer “retiring.” :rolleyes:

no, maybe, no

3 minutes ago, VA F.O. said:

no, maybe, no

Kind of my thinking as well. Feel like if we’re in it for Webb we don’t take Miller and if we’re in it for Cain then Chambers isn’t a take. Battle I could definitely see us finding room for especially if Elam isn’t coming.

We were never touching Chambers as a RB from what I understand. Had some interest earlier on as a LB I think but he wants to play RB and his “agent” Murf Baldwin always talked about how elite of a RB prospect he is. So he’s sold on that. Either way we moved on and we have way better prospects now.

Doug Nester, Jake Wray, and Lejond Cavazos are the names I just saw for guys we might take another look at swinging. 

MattyIceonTap likes this

I asked this question on Dawgnation Daily and will ask it here.    With a few players like Jadon Haselwood and Tyrique Stevenson waiting until all-star games around January 4th/5th to announce their school choice - do you think we will be able to decipher if they will have signed w/ Dawgs or not by then?

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I asked this question on Dawgnation Daily and will ask it here.    With a few players like Jadon Haselwood and Tyrique Stevenson waiting until all-star games around January 4th/5th to announce their school choice - do you think we will be able to decipher if they will have signed w/ Dawgs or not by then?

i believe so.. i would look at if any new offers go out for those positions.. if they do then that is a hint we didn't get our top targets there. 

27 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I think so, at least with Stevenson.  Will be glad when Haselwood's recruitment is over.

3 hours ago, Turkeydawg said:

that still was a package deal.. nkemdiche's mom was clear to ole miss and other programs that she wanted her boys to play together and Ole miss while they weren't told "we are coming for sure" was given a very strong indication that it would be a package deal for the two brothers.  while they didn't come in the same class, it was something most teams felt would happen.  ole miss just did a great job getting his brother into school which was a big question for a number of sec schools.  

4 hours ago, youngbloodz said:

there is nothing wrong at all with package deals.. i have to laugh at some of the comments above calling it dirty.. huh?  nothing dirty about it.  if a school has a open scholarship and wants to use it for a top flight 5 star starter day 1 type kid in neal you go for it.  Neal is a kid who steps on campus and will compete for a starting job and if you have the room he is well worth it.  Nothing illegal or wrong or dirty about that.  It's called recruiting.  i think it's great if one brother can help another get a college education even if it means his brother is on the scout team the entire time.  i also like a staff who is up front on what the deal is instead of lying to the kids pretending "we really want both of you guys to play" nonsense.  lsu and tennessee are 2 teams who tried that crap a number of times. 

if our fans want to talk about dirty we have examples of that even recently, but i won't get into that.  

btw it does sound like cain believes holyfield is leaving early and herrien is transferring elsewhere.  time will tell if he is correct or not on that. 

14 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

btw it does sound like cain believes holyfield is leaving early and herrien is transferring elsewhere.  time will tell if he is correct or not on that. 

Would hate that.  If we were to lose Holyfield, I sure hope Herrien stays.  I am not sold on Cain.  I prefer Williams over Cain.  With that being said, I trust the staff in what they are looking for and what they have seen.

13 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

there is nothing wrong at all with package deals.. i have to laugh at some of the comments above calling it dirty.. huh?  nothing dirty about it.  if a school has a open scholarship and wants to use it for a top flight 5 star starter day 1 type kid in neal you go for it.  Neal is a kid who steps on campus and will compete for a starting job and if you have the room he is well worth it.  Nothing illegal or wrong or dirty about that.  It's called recruiting.  i think it's great if one brother can help another get a college education even if it means his brother is on the scout team the entire time.  i also like a staff who is up front on what the deal is instead of lying to the kids pretending "we really want both of you guys to play" nonsense.  lsu and tennessee are 2 teams who tried that crap a number of times. 

if our fans want to talk about dirty we have examples of that even recently, but i won't get into that.  

It's just not my cup of tea. I understand why they do it and it makes sense. I just disagree with it 

Just now, youngbloodz said:

It's just not my cup of tea. I understand why they do it and it makes sense. I just disagree with it 

which is fine you can disagree, but for some elite players teams will do it.  there are very few teams who don't offer package deals to get players (for a lot less talented players than neal actually).  not all teams can be like bama and say no we will pass.  however there is nothing dirty or wrong about doing it regardless of the team that is doing the offering.  people want to talk about dirty recruiting we have plenty of examples we can discuss, but this isn't one of them. 

12 minutes ago, Turkeydawg said:

Would hate that.  If we were to lose Holyfield, I sure hope Herrien stays.  I am not sold on Cain.  I prefer Williams over Cain.  With that being said, I trust the staff in what they are looking for and what they have seen.

holyfield leaving makes sense and i hope he does.  he really has no reason to come back to UGA unless it's a team thing and he wants to go out with a natty, but the reality is next year his carries will be even tougher to get.  regarding herrien he needs to go and get more playing time elsewhere.  i love the guy and i bet you he graduates before he leaves, but he needs to let another team use his talents.  he rarely sees the field at uga and it will get worst next year.  we bring in most likely cain and mcintosh to go with zamir white, cook, and swift.  herrien will never see the field.  

5 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

holyfield leaving makes sense and i hope he does.  he really has no reason to come back to UGA unless it's a team thing and he wants to go out with a natty, but the reality is next year his carries will be even tougher to get.  regarding herrien he needs to go and get more playing time elsewhere.  i love the guy and i bet you he graduates before he leaves, but he needs to let another team use his talents.  he rarely sees the field at uga and it will get worst next year.  we bring in most likely cain and mcintosh to go with zamir white, cook, and swift.  herrien will never see the field.  

Not disagreeing with any of that, I just think losing both Holyfield and Herrien, would hurt a lot.  That would leave us with one back that has played significant minutes at rb.  Our depth will be a little scary, knowing we have Swift, an undersized Cook, Zeus - coming off 2 acl injuries, McIntosh and whoever else we get to come on board.  

SacFalcFan likes this

3 minutes ago, SacFalcFan said:

Yep totally agree that Holyfield needs to go if he gets a good grade.  Maybe regardless.  Carries not going be easy.  More tread left.  Believe it's almost the same scenerio when Danny Ware jumped early (we had Brown and Lumpkin already and some good young RB coming in).

Only 1 reason to return = Championship.