g-dawg

December Recruiting Thread - let’s close the gap!!!

2,010 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Hoping Haselwood sees that he could be one that could not only close the gap between the Dawgs and Bama, but that he could help take us over the top. 

I wonder how much Fields’ mood and intentions could influence Haselwood?   As of today, I expect Fields to come back for Sophomore season but if that changes, could have some impact.

usmcdirtybird and sdogg like this

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

Will put it here so the Bama thread can die in a fire.

Bulldog Bob said he expects Fields to stay at UGA.

Having to sit out a year would be brutal.  While Kirby stresses competition, we all know deep down the QB position wasn’t really open for starting spot last year.

As good as Fromm is - and he is - one more off-season for Fields and he should mature and have enough college level coaching to threaten the starting job.

If Fields is willing to stay, you know he believes it.

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Having to sit out a year would be brutal.  While Kirby stresses competition, we all know deep down the QB position wasn’t really open for starting spot last year.

As good as Fromm is - and he is - one more off-season for Fields and he should mature and have enough college level coaching to threaten the starting job.

If Fields is willing to stay, you know he believes it.

Another guy with known access to the team agreed fwiw, said he ain’t leaving. It’s a dead topic to me, Fields is a Dawg.

And Haselwood will be too. 

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Another guy with known access to the team agreed fwiw, said he ain’t leaving. It’s a dead topic to me, Fields is a Dawg.

And Haselwood will be too. 

That is great news all the way around. If Fields transfers after two years, I wouldn’t like it but would understand it - if he transferred after this year, that would be devastating for him and Georgia.

Dawgs have tougher schedule next year adding Notre Dame and ATM to home schedule, we will need all hands on deck to get back in the playoff.

5 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Dead topic.. righhhhhtttt.. for some reason it will be brought up over and over and over again.. 

Talk about it all you want lmao

I do think the Fields topic should be dead, as it's not as hard as people are making it out to be. At this moment he's most likely staying, and I think these are the likely three outcomes:

1. Jake Fromm carries how he finished into spring/fall practices and next season, his draft stock holds, and he leaves after 2019 for the NFL. Fields knows this will be the outcome and stays to prepare to start in 2020.
2. Justin Fields ends up outperforming and replacing Jake Fromm during practice. This would be a great thing, based off what we know, because from what I've read (I think on here too), both are looking good in practice, but Fromm is just looking like a superstar during it (and we really saw this shine through after the bye).
3. Justin Fields does end up leaving, and it turns out that while he's very good, he isn't the superstar phenom he was made out to be.

It's relatively simple.

5 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Dude.. I don’t.. never did.. but that **** won’t die..

Well it’s on Justin to kill it in the media. I trust what these guys have said though. Also I don’t think Fields competitiveness and desire to develop into the best QB possible will allow it. He was very complimentary of Fromm after the game and credited him with helping make him a better, more complete QB every day. He’s behind a guy that could very well be a 1st round draft pick.

It may not be a dead topic but it is to me. Media loves attention and creates drama around any situation they can sell, even if none is there.

sdogg and 95Dawg like this

I still don’t see Fromm coming out his junior year - he doesn’t have enough plus traits of size/arm strength and he isn’t a volume thrower.   Entitled to your opinion, but my bet is Jake is a 4yr player most likely.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I still don’t see Fromm coming out his junior year - he doesn’t have enough plus traits of size/arm strength and he isn’t a volume thrower.   Entitled to your opinion, but my bet is Jake is a 4yr player most likely.

I doubt it...too many teams need a QB..Mitch trubisky went in the first..he wasn’t half the QB Jake is when he was at unc. 

I would presume the coaches will get out on the road for some in home visits this week. Anybody seen anything on who we’re seeing?

30 minutes ago, MattyIceonTap said:

I would presume the coaches will get out on the road for some in home visits this week. Anybody seen anything on who we’re seeing?

Rumors that Kirby will be in-home with Webb this evening? But yeah... gotta imagine this week and next will have a lot of visits scheduled.

g-dawg likes this

11 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Need to start pushing hard for Haselwood. 

We have his last official visit. I imagine we are heavily in contact in the meantime.. pointing out 1) our downfield passing in key spots, 2) the likely departures of guys like Ridley and possibly Hardman... 

Porter Osborne Jr, sdogg and 95Dawg like this

4 minutes ago, fibonaccisquared said:

We have his last official visit. I imagine we are heavily in contact in the meantime.. pointing out 1) our downfield passing in key spots, 2) the likely departures of guys like Ridley and possibly Hardman... 

Where is all this Ridley talk coming from?  My philosophy has always been, if you are not a 3rd rd pick or better, come back.  Ridley’s not a Day#2 pick.  Hardman is also good but don’t see that for him, either.

I know he has been a controversial assistant coach in his tenure at UGA and not sure the relationship with Kirby, but Rodney Garner recruits his balls off.  If he became a free agent, should Dawgs find a spot for him?  Would really help with DL recruiting.

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Where is all this Ridley talk coming from?  My philosophy has always been, if you are not a 3rd rd pick or better, come back.  Ridley’s not a Day#2 pick.  Hardman is also good but don’t see that for him, either.

His philosophy may not be yours.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I know he has been a controversial assistant coach in his tenure at UGA and not sure the relationship with Kirby, but Rodney Garner recruits his balls off.  If he became a free agent, should Dawgs find a spot for him?  Would really help with DL recruiting.

Not just no but **** no.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No and never gonna happen. Kirby and Garner don't like each other one bit. Garner orchestrated the whole fiasco with Derrick Brown a few years back and completely burned any semblance of any bridge that may have been there.

Lots going on today and probably every day for the next couple of weeks.

1. Kirby and Schumann were at Clinch County High School today to visit with Trezman Marshall and likely will go in home with him today as well.
  2. Kirby and Schumann plan to also visit Rian Davis on Tuesday and have an in home visit. Then Schumann will make his way out to Mississippi to visit with Nakobe Dean on Thursday. Believe Kirby will have his in home with Dean at a later time.
  3. Pittman expected to be in West Virginia to visit Darnell Wright this week. Not sure exactly when but that is happening. He is expected to take an official visit to UGA the weekend before early NSD, which is on the 19th. Wright is now the #6 player nationally in Rivals updated rankings. Tennessee folks feel extremely confident he will sign with the Vols but this is one to watch.
  4. Dell McGee visited with Noah Cain today, probably talked to some others at IMG as well such as Trey Sanders who is now #2 overall nationally in Rivals rankings.
  5. Tray Scott is in Tennessee visiting with DL recruits Zion Logue and Tymon Mitchell. Logue just had an official visit to Ole Miss and it was reported that OM coaches felt he was totally committed to UGA.
  6. Scott will also make his way to Memphis on Tuesday or Wednesday to visit with Bill Norton. Norton has scheduled an official visit to Tennessee for that weekend before early NSD. This one has been a little unclear on priority or plans, but it appears we are making the effort to visit him here at crunch time. If Norton signs early then it's expected he will be a Dawg. If we don't receive his letter of intent during the early signing period then it may be an indication that he's genuinely looking at other options.
  7. Coley will be in Florida but I don't see reports on exactly what is planned there.

There is also a lot of conflicting info floating around now about Haselwood. FSU is trying to make a push for him and I have seen some obviously bogus accounts trying to push rumors that Justin Fields is transferring to FSU. This is absolutely not true from what we know regarding Fields. We know Haselwood had a good visit to FSU a few weeks ago but it was not seen as a game changer. I'll share anything substantial I might read or hear, but if you see this Haselwood/Fields/FSU stuff don't bite on it.

RandomFan, g-dawg, sdogg and 2 others like this