Cole World

OT Tytus Howard Alabama State - Terron Armstead comp

22 posts in this topic

Alabama State senior T Tytus Howard has received an invitation to the Reese's Senior Bowl.

Howard is a converted tight end, and he apparently has taken to the conversion to tackle quite well. He's upped his weight to 311 pounds to go along with his 6-foot-6 frame, and The Athletic's Dane Brugler has Howard as the highest rated non-FBS prospect for the draft. A strong showing at the Senior Bowl against better competition will do wonders for Howard's stock.

Nov 14 - 5:00 PM

Smiler11, Romfal and atlbaby like this

Tytus Howard came to the campus of Alabama State as a tight end who played quarterback at Monroe County High School.

The Monroeville native was convinced by Hornets head coach Donald Hill-Eley, who was the tight ends coach at the time, to play on the offensive line.

The move has paid off, and his efforts have earned him a spot into an exclusive club.

Howard became just the seventh Hornet and third ASU offensive lineman to be invited to the Reese's Senior Bowl, which is one of the premier all-star games in college football.

The Senior Bowl, which features the country's best senior collegiate football players and top NFL draft prospects, takes place in Mobile, which is just an hour away from Howard's hometown.

Howard gave credit of reaching this moment to his teammates, coaches and the people who molded him as he was growing up: his grandparents.

"I'm just a country boy from Monroeville," Howard said. "The atmosphere at Alabama State was big for me. Now, I'm going to the Senior Bowl. I know a lot of people are going to be there, so it just motivates me to work hard."

The list of Hornets invited to the Senior Bowl includes former ASU head coach Reggie Barlow (1996), who Howard played under as a freshman.

Howard could join former Hornets offensive lineman Jylan Ware, who was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the seventh round of the 2017 NFL draft after starting for three seasons at ASU. Ware was the first Hornet in 10 years to be drafted.

Ware's relationship with Howard still holds strong even though he's now on the practice squad with the New York Giants.

"I talk to Jylan all the time," Howard said. "He just tells me to remain focused and don't let down. I looked up to Jylan, and I try to have the same impact on the younger lineman."

Howard was a second-team preseason All-SWAC selection after allowing just one sack in 11 games last season. He was also on the FCS preseason All-America watch list.

Hill-Eley couldn't stop raving about Howard's selection during his weekly radio show on Monday.

"He's a program guy," Hill-Eley said. "He's really one of those players that made it easier for me to coach. He helps get the younger guys up to speed. He's a model of the type of players we need to be successful year in and year out. It'll be great for him to get the opportunity to take care of himself and his family."

Howard, who said he's become an example of an alternate outcome for young people in his neighborhood, was one of several players who helped gave Thanksgiving meals to families in need on Monday.

Howard said he remembered being in the same lines growing up, and that giving back gives him a sense of pride.

The Senior Bowl kicks off from Ladd-Peebles Stadium at 1:30 p.m. Jan. 26.

Howard has one more run with his teammates, coming Thursday against Mississippi Valley State in the 95th Turkey Day Classic. The Hornets (3-7) look to snap a two-game losing streak.

Even though the SWAC title is off the table, Howard said ending the season with this game is important for the community.

"You get to see people coming together and having a good time without all the violence we hear about," Howard said. "It's great to see everybody outside the stadium tailgating and then come into the stadium to support us.

Monroeville has a population of just over 6,000 people and it’s unlikely that many people there can look Howard directly in the eye and maybe no one can physically look down on him.  His frame is every bit of 6’6 with a massive 311 pounds slapped on for good measure, a lot of that muscle. When working out he bench presses 375 pounds, roughly the weight of a piano or a motorcycle.

During his high school days Howard didn’t see any time at left tackle, he benefited from them.  He was a quarterback, listed at 6’2 and just 200 pounds. Reggie Barlow’s staff at ASU ultimately recruited him as a tight end and when he arrived on campus he just could bench press his own body weight.  Over the course of the next year he would totally redefine the concept of the “Freshman 15” with a combination of hard work and genetics.  Howard hit a late growth spurt and grew four inches his first year in school, he also hit the weight room and went from being able to lift a refrigerator to the aforementioned piano.

Not only did Howard gain the height and bulk but he kept the speed and athleticism from his past life as a 200-pound quarterback. Combine that together and you have a starting left tackle in the SWAC that coach Brian Jenkins thinks has a pretty good shot at the next level, just like his teammate and fellow offensive lineman Jylan Ware who was drafted by the Oakland Raiders this past spring.

So it would be quite normal if by now people would affectionately call Howard things like “Big Man,” “Big Dog,” “Hoss” or anything that reflected his girth.  Around campus maybe they do, but when he makes that 100 mile drive home down Interstate 65 and pulls into Monroeville they refer to his size a little differently.  It was there that this massive young man earned what may be the most ill fitting nickname in all of the SWAC:

“They call me, Weenie,” Howard said with a slight grin.

Yes, “Weenie.”

Not saying he will be Jason Peters, but Peters was a former TE who converted over to OT.

atlbaby likes this

Terron Armstead draft profile:

TERRON ARMSTEAD: Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 6050 304 4.71. Four-year starter. Athletic, rangy, and competitive. An ascending talent. Has long arms and quick feet that serve him well as a pass protector. Good first step quickness. Works to finish his blocks. Can run a speed rusher up the field. Good combination of foot quickness and ease of movement. Was a late addition to the Senior Bowl and he picked up where he left off in the Shrine Game and practices. Good lateral quickness. Smooth in his redirect. Has all the physical tools needed to succeed on the next level, but needs technique work. Rarely, if ever, shaken off by a defensive end or tackle. Pulls and runs aggressively. Can pull up to the hole and adjust to a moving target. Good contact and follow through. Caught a tackle screen and ran upfield like an athletic tight end. An eventual starter with minimal developmental time. A four-for-one player. May start out on the right side, but could be moved inside to guard because of his mobility. Has left tackle feet

On 12/1/2018 at 0:44 PM, Cole World said:

Not saying he will be Jason Peters, but Peters was a former TE who converted over to OT.

Eagles RT, Lane Johnson too. I’ll be watching him at the Senior Bowl.

Cole World likes this

Just now, Francis York Morgan said:

How fast do you think he climbs? I'd like him in the 3rd, but I bet he blows up the combine.

Ditto, I have a 3rd round grade on him now, but it can go up if he blows up at the Senior Bowl and combine.

12 hours ago, Cole World said:

Ditto, I have a 3rd round grade on him now, but it can go up if he blows up at the Senior Bowl and combine.

Offensive tackle will be one of the most interesting positions to watch this draft.  There may not be the classic top-10 game changing OT in this class, but there are a LOT of prospects that people like.  Jonah Williams, Greg Little, Jawaan Taylor, Yodny Cajuste, Andre Dillard, Dalton Risner and a handful more guys that either could declare or are mentioned as potential mid round picks. 

Last year Walt was first to report that North Carolina A&T offensive tackle Brandon Parker had impressed NFL scouts and was a legit pro prospect. Parker went to the Senior Bowl and did well there to end up being a third-round pick in the 2017 NFL Draft. This year, team sources told me that Howard could follow a similar track. Howard has drawn positive reviews from area scouts, and that earned him an invitation to the Senior Bowl. He has a shot at being a second-day pick off of a strong week in Mobile.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:39 PM, Cole World said:

This is a guy I could see us pulling the trigger on in the 2nd round with the way he's already looking at the Senior Bowl. He's one guy I really want to continue to watch throughout the process, along with Connor McGovern and Vosean Joseph.  I'd love to somehow get all three players in Rounds 2-4.

Cole World likes this

If we could get him in the 3rd that would be perfect. I think we gotta double dip on the OL in rds 2-3. I like either one of these combos:

2. RT Edoga

3. RG Nate Davis

Or

2. RG/C Erik McCoy

3. RT Howard

54 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Ike, I agree with you and my 1st picks are.

1. Jeffery Simmons / Ed Oliver

2. Elgton Jenkins

3. Tytus Howard

We are on the same page. Simmons and then OL. It's just a matter of who they go with on the OL.

Cole World likes this

7 hours ago, Cole World said:

2. Elgton Jenkins

3. Tytus Howard

I can see why you like Jenkins lol.He stoned so many having to train and block Simmons every other practice lol comes against these other guys at the Snr Bowl.

#walkinthepark

Cole World and Smiler11 like this

15 hours ago, Cole World said:

2. Elgton Jenkins

3. Tytus Howard

That would be amazing.

Cole World likes this