Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vel

Falcons Defensive Attitude

41 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, vel said:

Tru, Alford, and Oliver can all play like this. Too bad our DC would rather drop 8 in coverage and hope for coverage sacks than challenge and attack offenses 

Our DC plays scared. Period 

PokerSteve likes this

2 hours ago, capologist said:

We first need a CB of Byron Jones' talent level...

Trufant CAN play at that level. People gripe about his hands. But in terms of being scrappy, fast, and quick, he can do that at a great level. Instead, he’s asked to play 10 yards of the receiver 99% of the time 

PokerSteve and Flying Falcon like this

I agree it's the attitude. Atlanta has always been like this. I've never seen this team come out with the "I'm going to punch you in the mouth attitude". I've seen them come out aggressive and fired up, but never to the extent of what the cowboys did. Cownoys beat the pizz out of them.. 

2 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Falcons wanted him that draft. Got tons of cap space coming free. Would not surprise me if he was a target...and I almost never expect us to be big spenders. We're definitely getting a pass rusher in FA this year.

Manuel is an absolutely terrible coordinator. Quinn is being patient, but the dude is so timid with his playcalls. So vanilla.

Imho, Quinn needs to be calling the plays. It's worked great in the past. Let Manuel assist, let him learn under you and maybe take over in the future...but right now, he isn't the guy.

I don't think **** in **** DeMarcus Lawrence leaves dallas

56 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

The Falcons have the worst defensive scheme in the NFL and play it as badly as it can be played. We play so soft, sloppy, stupid and scared it makes me want to puke. Quinn is fielding a defense that makes you ashamed to be a got dam fan of the team.

I fully disagree. I think they have a bottom tier DC who has never called plays or gameplanned constantly being exposed. It's not the best scheme, but when healthy and coached/gameplanned aggressively, we've seen the results from the 2016 and 2017 playoff runs. 

Now! We have a prime opportunity this offseason to add a top tier player we otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to add in the top 10 of the draft. We'll also have a good chunk of cap space we haven't had since adding Mack. 

18 minutes ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

I agree it's the attitude. Atlanta has always been like this. I've never seen this team come out with the "I'm going to punch you in the mouth attitude". I've seen them come out aggressive and fired up, but never to the extent of what the cowboys did. Cownoys beat the pizz out of them.. 

Against Green Bay, Seattle, and New England (first half) in the 2016 season playoffs, they did have that attitude and aggressiveness.

4 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

We should play like this.

Correct!  That is what I call CB's earning their paychecks.  I hate zone.  If there is a CB that can't play man to man, then that guy isn't a CB.  At some point in a zone defense, you have to pick up the guy in your zone, not look at him and let him make the catch with you 5 yards away.

Edited by isproab

2 hours ago, vel said:

It comes from coaching. Does our DC believe they can play like that? If so, he would. Instead, he's coaching and calling defenses scared.

He doesn't trust his safeties especially the over the top guy.

We also can't defend the seam.

For me it's a double edged sword this is where the Rico Neal and Debo injuries are huge.

Kazee out of the 3 replacements has played well but has also taken his lumps.

To your last comment I agree he's calling it scared and hence why he's dumping that extra guy in coverage and we are seeing soft pass rush also.

Train wreck as he's trying to have feet on both sides of the fence instead of being all in on one thing.

4 hours ago, ike barn87987 said:

We should play like this.

Check out @eric_crocker’s Tweet:

This is where Alford should be every snap play with inside leverage and force the guy outside then it's  a foot race.I like Alford in this scenario.

51 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Against Green Bay, Seattle, and New England (first half) in the 2016 season playoffs, they did have that attitude and aggressiveness.

The aggressive approach was still there in the 2nd half. Defense got very gassed. 

56 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

Debo Rico and Neal

vs 

Riley Kazee and Neasman/Richards

I think we can all agree why our backend and seams are getting abused.

You want to talk Run D on the odd chance these guys did penetrate a given gap.Who would you prefer as an eraser Debo/Neal combo or the Riley/Neasman/Richards circus.

Aggressiveness well that pretty much sums up Neal and Debo they'd erase a **** of a lot what ales this defense right now.

42 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

This is where Alford should be every snap play with inside leverage and force the guy outside then it's  a foot race.I like Alford in this scenario.

I agree. As far as press I like Alford and Oliver. Don't see Tru as a press CB.

kiwifalcon likes this

6 hours ago, vel said:

Last night, the Cowboys took it to the Saints for 60 minutes straight. I've been saying all season I don't understand how the Saints are scoring so many points with Michael Thomas and Alvin Kamara as the only weapons that are threatening on that team. I had hope that we'd exploit this last week by forcing Brees to beat us with somebody else. The problem is we still just let them do what they wanted, beating us with Dan Arnold, Tommylee Lewis, Keith Kirkwood and Austin Carr. I'm talking replacement level WRs. People think we did a good job because Thomas and Kamara didn't go off, but they didn't have to. We didn't challenge the Saints offense to beat us and we got beat for it. 

Contrast that to last night and the Cowboys. They challenged and dared the Saints to win with those guys and you saw what happened. They didn't just sit back and play coverage. They knew those WRs weren't better than their defense and played like it. They sent pressure and manned up daring bums like Kirkwood and Lewis to beat them in man. That group put up 50 yards combined. Thomas and Kamara had 76 yards on 13 catches, a whopping 5.6 yards per catch. Yes, Byron Jones had a couple of penalties vs Thomas, but that's going to happen when you're playing tight and challenging guys all game. They bet that their players were better than the Saints and they were right.

This is what I complained about last year when people swore we had a top ten defense and I said we were underachieving. Even when healthy, we didn't do this. It was still sitting back and being passive/stagnant. I get the injuries hurt, but the biggest missing piece in my opinion is mentality. Swagger. Before the game, all the talk was on the Saints and Demarcus Lawrence took it personal for him and the defense. "We need to hit them in the f****** mouth, make them question their offensive brilliance then choke them f****** out." We don't have that right now. That's what made Seattle great. Not the scheme. The players and the mentality. They didn't take shlt. They gave it. 

This is so true. The passive play is annoying. I swear this team gets so scared to fail trying they end up failing without trying. 

Playing coverage is fine if you got a d line that can get pressure. We do not and its not only beasley either. Brooks reed has ben trash this yr. Takk has went ghost on us. The only two consistent pass rushers we got are jack crawford and grady.

Agreed.  The defense is passive, we rush 3 a lot, back off of receivers, and get little push up the middle.  I thought Aikman nailed it last night when he spoke of the damage Dallas did up the middle.  Their DT's got a push which made things tough for Brees.