wartownfalcon

Atlanta Legends?

395 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Panda said:

Maybe he didn't learn the playbook.... lol i kid I kid

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Michael Vick was supposed to be one of the marquee names and interest points for the debut of the Alliance of American Football on Saturday night as the offensive coordinator of the Atlanta Legends. Instead, the former Pro Bowl quarterback is now taking on a new role -- still in the league, but away from coaching.

Jeff Fisher, the former Rams and Titans head coach who is the league's head of football strategy, said Vick is instead taking on a role in the league's administrative body.

"It was an unusual set of circumstances in that Mike had accepted a role with Brad Childress early on as an offensive coach, as an offensive coordinator," Fisher said. "And then with Brad's sudden departure, things, they kind of just, they got hard. I can't thank the Atlanta franchise enough for pulling through the hard times.

"But circling back to Mike, his role is going to change. You can appreciate the difficulty from a place he was put into. His role is going to change and we spoke to Mike over the past couple days and he's going to move over and assume a league role along with Hines Ward in player development. That's the best place for him."

Vick's role had already started to shift. He will now work with player development and player welfare. He will remain in an "off-the-field" role in Atlanta, but he won't be coaching this season for the Legends. Fisher said discussions about a changed role for Vick happened over the "last couple of days."

Fisher said Vick was not in attendance for the season opener in Orlando, where the Apollos beat Atlanta 40-6, because he was preparing instead for his new role with the league.

Part of why Vick came to the AAF was for the opportunity to coach -- and to assume the role of playcaller earlier than he might have had he gone a more traditional NFL route. And Fisher said they haven't ruled that out in the future.

But the situation he ended up in, with Childress departing and first-time head coach Kevin Coyle taking over for him, was a hard one. Plus, Fisher said, Vick had some "family issues" pop up around the time of Childress' departure that complicated matters. Vick had never been a position coach before, let alone a coordinator, and not having an offensive-minded mentor like Childress altered the league's plan to develop Vick as a coordinator.

"Because of the timing thing, it wasn't possible for him to come in and take an active role with respect to the offense," Fisher said. "So Mike and I both agreed in a conversation last night that let's just take a deep breath and let's kind of embrace the league, embrace the experience and we'll see where the coaching opportunities are down the road."

The particulars of Vick's new role are still being worked out -- Ward, for instance, will travel most of the season while Vick will have some duties in Atlanta -- but, Fisher said, "We're working that out right now."

Not inspired...  I guess my fan energy needs an off season...

Orlando Apollos’ 40-6, Week 1 win over the Atlanta Legends.

:huh:

The team in Atlanta needs something to get the fans interested, and 40-6 isn't getting anyone excited. One thing that attracted some folk I talked to was the prospect of seeing ex Dawgs and Jackets on the field. So not only did we see a team that looked poorly coached and confused in a blowout loss, those watching did not get to see Aaron Murray at least try and do something. Instead we got to see Matt Simms last seen by most UGA fans wearing a Tennessee jersey. 

In addition to hometown talent, we heard names like Brad Childress and Michael Vick as OC, and we all wanted to see that. Instead we were greeted with a "what the heck is a Kevin Coyle?" on the sideline looking just as bewildered and confused as the players on the field.

Honestly it seems like the team doesn't yet have a firm hand on coaching, or more importantly.... marketing. If they are going to be a bad team, then they need something else like familiar names to keep most fans checked in.

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Remember when everyone wanted Matt Schaub cut so Matt Simms could be the backup to Ryan? LOL!!

I wasn't on this site then but I remember Falcons fans on other sites saying the same thing...

with that being said, Matt Schaub still wouldn't do s**t in ATL. Matt Ryan is our guy and he better be our guy in response to the naysayers. 

I don't know about you guys, but I watched 3 of the 4 games and enjoyed them all. I really like the different rules and I can honestly see the NFL adopting some of these rules in the near future. Didn't get to see the OT rules at work yet, but can't wait to see how it plays out when you can't just kick a FG to win the game and both teams get a chance at scoring.

Nereek likes this

18 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't know about you guys, but I watched 3 of the 4 games and enjoyed them all. I really like the different rules and I can honestly see the NFL adopting some of these rules in the near future. Didn't get to see the OT rules at work yet, but can't wait to see how it plays out when you can't just kick a FG to win the game and both teams get a chance at scoring.

If they do anything it should be copying the way CBS is showing commercials.  The whole pace of the game is waaaaay better than watching a NFL game...

27 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Rumor has it by end of season, the aaf is looking to add 4 more teams... 2 for each conference.

Heard one of them will be the Falcons...:lol:

6 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

If they do anything it should be copying the way CBS is showing commercials.  The whole pace of the game is waaaaay better than watching a NFL game...

That was part of the selling point. Less down time, more action. Games lasting only 2 1/2 hours instead of nearly 3 1/2 hours like NFL games. Steve Spurrier even said as much when asked why he got involved with it.

28 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Rumor has it by end of season, the aaf is looking to add 4 more teams... 2 for each conference.

I hope they don't expand it too fast. That's one of the reasons start up leagues normally fail, they expand too fast and teams don't have a chance to get a foot hold before uprooting and moving cities and other stuff. They really should let the current 8 teams (maybe 12 if they expand next year) get a solid following for a few years before expanding too much.

On 2/10/2019 at 6:00 PM, Nereek said:

ot having an offensive-minded mentor like Childress altered the league's plan to develop Vick as a coordinator.

why did Childress have to be the guy?  can you read between the lines for me?  is it because Vick couldnt hack it without Brad?

23 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Remember when everyone wanted Matt Schaub cut so Matt Simms could be the backup to Ryan? LOL!!

I don't remember that. Maybe for Benkert, but never Simms.

22 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

why did Childress have to be the guy?  can you read between the lines for me?  is it because Vick couldnt hack it without Brad?

Which is why they actually had him as an OC. Polian and Ebersol wants minorities to get better chances as coaching jobs. Vick's Experience could land him a coaching career in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Which is why they actually had him as an OC

im still not clear on why vick left.  was he kicked out?  or what.  maybe i didnt read it right

1 minute ago, VTCrunkler said:

im still not clear on why vick left.  was he kicked out?  or what.  maybe i didnt read it right

He is still with legends, but with a different role... looks like the only reason he was OC, was because of Childress. 

50 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I hope they don't expand it too fast. That's one of the reasons start up leagues normally fail, they expand too fast and teams don't have a chance to get a foot hold before uprooting and moving cities and other stuff. They really should let the current 8 teams (maybe 12 if they expand next year) get a solid following for a few years before expanding too much.

I think 12 teams would be alright for the league and wouldn't hurt the league. Maybe we can get a team in Oklahoma, South Carolina, Louisiana (Baton Rouge) and Nevada (maybe Reno?).

7 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

You were pretty much on point. Vick was supposed to be an understudy of Childress. Croyle was supposed to be the DC. We currently have no OC. Explains why the offense looked so bad too.

8 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

You were pretty much on point. Vick was supposed to be an understudy of Childress. Croyle was supposed to be the DC. We currently have no OC. Explains why the offense looked so bad too.

I believe Childress was going to call plays, vick was used to learn and draw people in. Childress leaving changed plans.