Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doctor Kildare

Wonder if Dimitroff, Quinn and Blank learned something tonight?

57 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah they learned the need another WR and CB.

These ******* are hopeless

8 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

C.B pick was horrible....we needed a D.L 

8 hours ago, osiruz said:

Doubt it, we will pass up Oline and Dline once again for that dangling wr or db fruit.

Jaded. I get it, though. Three things I can virtually guarantee, and feel free to bookmark it:

1) Watch for us to spend big for once in FA on a pass rusher. Deepest position at FA for once this year. Multiple played out their 5th year of their rookie contract and have been vocal about testing the market. And a few - including Demarcus Lawrence and Jadaveon Clowney - were either vocal about wanting to come to the Falcons, were targets of the Falcons, or both.

2) Regarding Beasley...make of that first point what you will. I'd like for us to keep him for less, but that 12 mil can (and should) go elsewhere for how he's playing. If there's no restructure for a longer contract, he WILL be traded or cut. Either way, he'll be put on notice or he'll be put on another team. 

3) Our first three picks - at worst 2 of 3 - will very much be in the trenches. Looking at our draft spot and how DT is by far the strongest position that high in the draft, it WILL be BPA. After 2015, we addressed our greatest needs hard, and this season is no different. I expect a DT in the 1st (hopefully Jeffrey Simmons) and likely spots on the DL or OL in the 2nd and 3rd.

People can act like this staff hasn't addressed the trenches all they want. I certainly think they could have done more for the DL. But the fact is, they try very hard to address needs, and mostly succeed. They've drafted front 7 players high in the draft (1-3) every year, sometimes multiple picks. We have the most expensive OL in the NFL. Doubt anyone expected us to lose our two starting OGs, Mack to regress, and Schraeder to start playing like trash ALL IN THE SAME YEAR.

kiwifalcon likes this

6 hours ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

Look, I hate to defend the Stains, I really do, but tonight, Brees was the problem more than the Cowboys.  They had 2 sacks and 1 garbage time interception. Their defense played as well as they played all season, but the common thread was the Saint's play-calling and execution, which was horrid.  If you want to look at this game as some referendum on the Falcons personnel strategy, then I present the following Cowboys 1st team front 7:

Lawrence - Certifiable stud, no explanation needed

Crawford - 7th year pro, never more than 5 sacks a season

Woods - 2nd year as a pro (didn't play 2018...) 1.5 sacks total

Taco - 2nd year pro, 4 sacks total

Wilson - 4th year pro, .75 sacks a year

Smith - 2nd year pro (I'm not even going to count the 1st year because of the nerve issues) - 4 sacks this year

Lee - It's not even fair to discuss QB pressures with him, though in 8 seasons he has 3 sacks.  When healthy he roams the field and makes tackles, but when does that happen consistently?

*Also, let's include Vender Esch, since he killed it tonight, but general stats are: rookie, 0 sacks, 77 tackles, 0 sacks

I dare anyone to say that front 7 is better than the Falcons...

Sacks are important, but there’s more to it than that. Jaylon Smith and LVE both look like studs, they are good cover and run and hit linebackers who generally tackle extremely well. The cowboys D might not be “elite” but there is a reason they were the #3 scoring defense coming into the game (#2 now) and it’s not because they played one good game. 

25 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

1) Watch for us to spend big for once in FA on a pass rusher. Deepest position at FA for once this year. Multiple played out their 5th year of their rookie contract and have been vocal about testing the market. And a few - including Demarcus Lawrence and Jadaveon Clowney - were either vocal about wanting to come to the Falcons, were targets of the Falcons, or both.

You must be new here.

None of those guys will ever make it to FA. They’ll either be resigned, tagged, or both

If by some chance they make it to FA they will be too expensive for the Falcons.  Young good pass rushers get close to QB money in FA... if they ever get there.

Flying Falcon and PokerSteve like this

Dallas kept The Saints off balance all night pressure from their D never allowed Brees to get comfortable. Backing that up with a run game and long drives pretty good game plan for any team. 

Flying Falcon likes this

17 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

Dallas kept The Saints off balance all night pressure from their D never allowed Brees to get comfortable. Backing that up with a run game and long drives pretty good game plan for any team. 

It also helped that NOLA had flags thrown on their O and D holding for a change.  We've watched them get away with it for so long, especially in the Superdome.  

Dallas did everything they could to throw that game away at the end but their pass rush and Breeze being wildly off target a lot let them limp over the finish line.   Those two linebackers they have 55 and 54 are legit.

Flying Falcon and falconsd56 like this

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You must be new here.

None of those guys will ever make it to FA. They’ll either be resigned, tagged, or both

If by some chance they make it to FA they will be too expensive for the Falcons.  Young good pass rushers get close to QB money in FA... if they ever get there.

Yeah, they do get a bunch of money. They're not the only ones set to hit FA though. And yeah, they might get tagged or resigned, both teams have plenty of cap space. But there are other guys, too. Dee Ford, Brandon Graham, Ziggy Ansah, Frank Clark, Preston Smith...even Sheldon Richardson, though I doubt we're interested.

All might get snapped up by their teams, and the remaining should get big money. But I can see us being willing to spend for once. We'll see - I'm just saying, 18m/year for a big time pass rusher isn't as nuts when you consider Beasley is getting close to 13m next year if nothing changes. Clowney straight up said he'd love to come to Atlanta.

Ansah was franchised last year and has been underutilized this year. I think he's the most realistic option, and he's insanely underrated. Insanely fast, strong, absurd motor, good vs the run. You want a compliment to Takk? Give Ziggy big money.

PokerSteve likes this

9 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Lol Dallas haven't won anything in a decade they've been to the playoffs once or twice in that time but now there doing the right thing are they Hahahahaha wake me up.

Power football what a load of ****e.

Theyve done nothing as of yet but all of a sudden the last decade they get a mulligan.

Meanwhile the Falcons have nie on won the SB 2 years ago and have been to the playoffs 6 times in the mentioned decade.

Screw the **** Cowboys there nothing.

Screw the past. I have no choice but to live in the present and I'm trying my best to deal with reality. Presently, the Cowboys are ascending like a rocket, while the Falcons are crashing to earth like a flaming twenty-ton turd. The Cowboys are just one of about 8 or 9 teams that would stomp the Falcons' brains out in a play-off game now.

Even with a good draft and the return of all the injured players at 100 percent of their former abilities, this team isn't even close to being a SB contender any longer. The problem ain't the players and it hasn't been the players. Things are going to suck around Falcon Nation until we have changes at the top.

7979 and Flying Falcon like this

11 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

C.B pick was horrible....we needed a D.L 

I thought Isaiah Oliver was gonna really show out, man smh. They don't even give him a chance, meanwhile Trufant is out there being burnt to a crisp.

15 minutes ago, HMFIC said:

There is a serious problem with out drafting team.  Last Thursday night  FOUR undrafted Saints players scored TDs against us. The Saints have an excellent drft team, and coaching staff.  US ..............??????? 

I keep seeing posts about UDFA scoring on us. So what? They are in the NFL for a reason. During our SB run, didn't we have a TE called up from the PS who scored a TD, and it was his one and only catch of his career? We had another guy do something similar. I don't see what the whole rant is about with these guys making a play or two in their whole career. They'll likely never be heard from again.

3 hours ago, IA Falcon07 said:

The cowboys also played on thanksgiving so pretty even playing field...

Correct.  And it's still a full week in between games. 

Blank isn't going to change his philosophy or outlook on things because of one game or one season.  This just isn't Falcons year. That's a simple truth. 

12 hours ago, Doctor Kildare said:

When was the last time our finesse football held the Aints to 10 points and made life miserable for Brees?

We held the Saints to 13 points, intercepted Brees 5 times, and sacked him once on 11/29/2012.

Our starting D was:

DL - Kroy Biermann, Corey Peters, Jonathan Babineaux, John Abraham

LB - Stephen Nicholas, Akeem Dent, Sean Weatherspoon

DB - Dunta Robinson, Chris Owens, Robert McClain, Thomas DeCoud, William Moore

Are you arguing that we had a "strong middle" with "power players" in that game?

Babineaux and Peters combined for 0 qb hits, 0 tackles, and 1 pass deflection. Our leading tackler on the d-line was backup Cliff Matthews.

Sometimes your defense just plays inspired football, especially at home, and Brees does lay an egg once every year or two.

falconsd56 likes this

11 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Pretty sure Blank learned that his mls team was hosting the MLS cup in their own stadium which will break every attendance record there is. Blank was on stage in NY holding a trophy tonight. Doubt he took time to check up on the saints.

Five Stripes going to win a championship in two years while Falcons have barely got a couple of glimpses of their championship trophy in half a century.

All those who've always said Atlanta sports fans are the worst will learn the truth when they watch the championship game Saturday. This town is bat-**** crazy for ATL U and I'm right there with them. What a fun team to watch and cheer for!

12 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Five Stripes going to win a championship in two years while Falcons have barely got a couple of glimpses of their championship trophy in half a century.

All those who've always said Atlanta sports fans are the worst will learn the truth when they watch the championship game Saturday. This town is bat-**** crazy for ATL U and I'm right there with them. What a fun team to watch and cheer for!

Agreed. And Martino is no scrub coach either. He's amazingly built this team from scratch and will be competitive for years to come. Though it is a different sport, having that knowledgeable person to take control of your franchise is priceless in any sport.

4 hours ago, Jesus said:

The league didn't do the Saints any favors by giving them back to back Thursday games. That's gotta throw off prep.

Well they had a FULL week to prepare for the Cowboys after playing us last Thursday night. It's not like they were coming off a regular Sunday game with a short week. So no excuses. I could see if you had 2 separate Thursday night games making you have 2 short weeks in a season. 

1 hour ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I thought Isaiah Oliver was gonna really show out, man smh. They don't even give him a chance, meanwhile Trufant is out there being burnt to a crisp.

Agree....so was Alford worst performance in the league.

Though...Trufant picked up his level of play in past few games.

39 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Absolutely! So glad i got to attend a game in September when we traveled for the saints game. Such a great experience.  Currently Atlanta only has 900 tickets out of 83k+ allocated for Portland fans. Were going to smash the attendance record for mls cup by 20,000

4 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You must be new here.

Vic Beasley and a conditional mid round pick for Demarcus Lawrence in a trade right now.

4 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Yeah, they do get a bunch of money. They're not the only ones set to hit FA though. And yeah, they might get tagged or resigned, both teams have plenty of cap space. But there are other guys, too. Dee Ford, Brandon Graham, Ziggy Ansah, Frank Clark, Preston Smith...even Sheldon Richardson, though I doubt we're interested.

All might get snapped up by their teams, and the remaining should get big money. But I can see us being willing to spend for once. We'll see - I'm just saying, 18m/year for a big time pass rusher isn't as nuts when you consider Beasley is getting close to 13m next year if nothing changes. Clowney straight up said he'd love to come to Atlanta.

Ansah was franchised last year and has been underutilized this year. I think he's the most realistic option, and he's insanely underrated. Insanely fast, strong, absurd motor, good vs the run. You want a compliment to Takk? Give Ziggy big money.

Clowney would probably get 15 million + a year.

It would be nice if the Falcons could afford him but there are much worse teams with much more cap space willing to throw money at him.

Again that's if the Texans don't tag him... which I doubt they do unless they need to resign Watson, Watt,and Hopkins at the same time.

You want a good pass rusher in their Prime?

You have to trade for them and spend $$.  See Khalil Mack, see John Abraham.

7 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

Screw the past. I have no choice but to live in the present and I'm trying my best to deal with reality. Presently, the Cowboys are ascending like a rocket, while the Falcons are crashing to earth like a flaming twenty-ton turd. The Cowboys are just one of about 8 or 9 teams that would stomp the Falcons' brains out in a play-off game now.

Even with a good draft and the return of all the injured players at 100 percent of their former abilities, this team isn't even close to being a SB contender any longer. The problem ain't the players and it hasn't been the players. Things are going to suck around Falcon Nation until we have changes at the top.

I wouldn't be clamouring all over those losers.

They got nothing going saying there going any further than us and that's past present or future.

Ill take what we've done as I have confidence we'll be back.Thats why you take us over them.In the last decade even when we've been subpar we've bounced back that's what you can count on.

Cowboys been good for 5 minutes then everyone gets on that train aye,not me I'm sticking with us.I can't believe our fanbase fall for it every **** year as soon as they lose the skies falling.

3 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Clowney would probably get 15 million + a year.

It would be nice if the Falcons could afford him but there are much worse teams with much more cap space willing to throw money at him.

Again that's if the Texans don't tag him... which I doubt they do unless they need to resign Watson, Watt,and Hopkins at the same time.

You want a good pass rusher in their Prime?

You have to trade for them and spend $$.  See Khalil Mack, see John Abraham.

If it was just $15 million it wouldn't be the end of the world.  Taking away Beasley's 5th year option is $12.8m back instantly so it'd only be an additional ~$2m.  I'd do that in a heartbeat, obviously the impact beyond the first year may be more significant though and that's assuming it's only $15m.

4 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I wouldn't be clamouring all over those losers.

They got nothing going saying there going any further than us and that's past present or future.

Ill take what we've done as I have confidence we'll be back.Thats why you take us over them.In the last decade even when we've been subpar we've bounced back that's what you can count on.

Cowboys been good for 5 minutes then everyone gets on that train aye,not me I'm sticking with us.I can't believe our fanbase fall for it every **** year as soon as they lose the skies falling.

I do not like the Cowboys. That doesn't alter the fact they just beat the Falcons this year, nor does it change the fact the Cowboys have beaten the Falcons in every play-off match-up, decisively so.

You can throw shade at the Cowboys, but they're a better team than us and they have a smarter HC who figured out a way to stop the Saints, a team that just walked over us without half trying.

I hope you're right about this team bouncing back, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't believe the current coaching staff and coordinators are up to the challenge. Let's see them prove me wrong. I'll eat my crow if this staff gets the team back to the sb and be happy to do it.

23 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yeah they learned the need another WR and CB.

These ******* are hopeless

I don't like the pick either but I think the pick was BPA. I would rather do that than reach for another Jamal Anderson going for needs...smh