jgentry162

1 round bust /all around bust?

152 posts in this topic

If dimi was gonna cut him he would not have rejected a 3rd round pick. I expect him to be signed, the offer from another club of a 3rd rounder in his 5th year shows his actual value. While he did the the league in sacks one year I think he will not Garner a huge contract. Although i do think if he was a unrestricted FA someone would pay him more than he is worth RT now but unless he does more he will not full fill that contract. His best long term position would be to stay in ATL.

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

We do not force QB's to hold onto the ball. There's a reason the DL doesn't stand a chance in heIl of getting to the QB, it's because the QB is able to get rid of the ball in only 2 or 3 seconds because guys are running open in the secondary right off the snap. Folks really need to learn football and realize that when a team isn't getting pressure on the QB it's not always the DL's fault.

I bet you I know football on par plus with you dude! Of course you could be right, everything fits like a puzzle, but my eyes tell me you are wrong. Mr.Beasley and Reed are the weak rushing link, it starts there. You must be blacking out for the interim, when opposing QBs have had time to scope the field and select which WR has re-run their route to get open.

I'll bet there are stats somewhere to tell which end is up? By stats I mean which QBs have had the most time against which defenses to find an open receiver. 

10 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

I bet you I know football on par plus with you dude! Of course you could be right, everything fits like a puzzle, but my eyes tell me you are wrong. Mr.Beasley and Reed are the weak rushing link, it starts there. You must be blacking out for the interim, when opposing QBs have had time to scope the field and select which WR has re-run their route to get open.

I'll bet there are stats somewhere to tell which end is up? By stats I mean which QBs have had the most time against which defenses to find an open receiver. 

I watch other games and see good coverage and no pass rush and then eventually one of two things happens, the QB eventually finds an open man or the pass rush eventually gets there for a sack. That doesn't happen with the Falcons. QB's very rarely are forced to hang onto the ball. They get rid of it extremely quickly because there are guys open right off the start so they don't have to hold it. You could have 4 HOF players on the DL and it wouldn't make much difference if the QB is able to drop, step, throw, in less than 3 seconds which happens a ton against the Falcons.

15 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I’m not drawing broad-based conclusions from “that game” or “lately.” I watch Beasley every week. I watch dupree pretty much every week. I’m familiar with both. 

Dupree has been inferior to Beasley pretty much his entire career. This is “grass is greener” stuff. And in this case, the grass ISNT greener. 

Inferior as in how or according to what? He has had more sacks the last 2 years and gets more pressure. He also disengages himself a lot better, and has much better hands.

Any kick returner on the team could have done that too.  He didn’t cause any pressure, he picked up the scraps of Grady’s hard work.  If you redraft Grady likely goes in first round and Beasley goes in 3-5

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I watch other games and see good coverage and no pass rush and then eventually one of two things happens, the QB eventually finds an open man or the pass rush eventually gets there for a sack. That doesn't happen with the Falcons. QB's very rarely are forced to hang onto the ball. They get rid of it extremely quickly because there are guys open right off the start so they don't have to hold it. You could have 4 HOF players on the DL and it wouldn't make much difference if the QB is able to drop, step, throw, in less than 3 seconds which happens a ton against the Falcons.

So you are saying in your first sentence that no pass rush equals more sacks? 

You are right about the secondary taking a step backwards this year, but know when I play any team sport (doubles tennis, basketball, softball) if my partner slacks off so do I. Most of the people in the secondary have had multiple productive years vs 1-year where the ball bounced just right for Beasley. Think you know where this is leading. We have seen it last year with Riley, one weak link in the Defense can weaken the entire team. That weak link this year is Beasley. 

Osiruz likes this

1 minute ago, Cheap Talk said:

You are right about the secondary taking a step backwards this year, but know when I play any team sport (doubles tennis, basketball, softball) if my partner slacks off so do I. Most of the people in the secondary have had multiple productive years vs 1-year where the ball bounced just right for Beasley. Think you know where this is leading. We have seen it last year with Riley, one weak link in the Defense can weaken the entire team. That weak link this year is Beasley. 

Where did I say no pass rush equals more sacks or even implied that?

No, Beasley hasn't been good this year. But my point is none of the guys on the DL have been good this year. Takk was good the first several games of the season but where has he been the last 4 or 5 games? It's more than just Beasley. That's my point.

The Great American and Vandy like this

28 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

I would say if we’re being honest, CB Alford/SS Richards-Neasman/DT McClain/LB Riley amd most importantly, DC Manuel would all have to disagree. It’s been a team effort of suckiness. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Where did I say no pass rush equals more sacks or even implied that?

No, Beasley hasn't been good this year. But my point is none of the guys on the DL have been good this year. Takk was good the first several games of the season but where has he been the last 4 or 5 games? It's more than just Beasley. That's my point.

Where did I say no pass rush equals more sacks or even implied that?: I am just playing with words, you said no pass rush ends in a completion or a sack, probably not what you meant to say.

The problem with one person being a non-factor on the DL means they rotate the OL line protection more toward the opposite end of the line, and even more toward the middle of the line.

4 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Where did I say no pass rush equals more sacks or even implied that?: I am just playing with words, you said no pass rush ends in a completion or a sack, probably not what you meant to say.

The problem with one person being a non-factor on the DL means they rotate the OL line protection more toward the opposite end of the line, and even more toward the middle of the line.

No. I said that other teams have good coverage. The Atlanta Falcons don't have good coverage. You cannot really tell how good or bad the Falcons DL is because the lack of coverage down the field doesn't force the QB to hold onto the ball to give them a chance. As I said before, you could have 4 HOFers on the DL and it wouldn't make much difference if the QB can go snap, step, throw in under 3 seconds.

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

No. I said that other teams have good coverage. The Atlanta Falcons don't have good coverage. You cannot really tell how good or bad the Falcons DL is because the lack of coverage down the field doesn't force the QB to hold onto the ball to give them a chance. As I said before, you could have 4 HOFers on the DL and it wouldn't make much difference if the QB can go snap, step, throw in under 3 seconds.

You are just going to ignore the other half of the defensive passing plays, where the QB had time the to get feedback from the OC in the booth, after the ball was snaped, as to which route was open and who to throw the ball to?

Just now, Cheap Talk said:

You are just going to ignore the other half of the defensive passing plays, where the QB had time the to get feedback from the OC in the booth, after the ball was snaped, as to which route was open and who to throw the ball to?

Well, now I know it's time to move along since you're just being silly. I hate when folks say off the wall stuff that simply isn't true but if that's the way you roll then more power to you.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I would say if we’re being honest, CB Alford/SS Richards-Neasman/DT McClain/LB Riley amd most importantly, DC Manuel would all have to disagree. It’s been a team effort of suckiness. 

Falconsfan567 were both talking about it being a team effort of futility. 

Out of all of this mess of a year though, cannot see how anyone could blame our CBs. They received no help from the DL, LBs, and the starting Ss were gone. They were left on an island all year long.

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Well, now I know it's time to move along since you're just being silly. I hate when folks say off the wall stuff that simply isn't true but if that's the way you roll then more power to you.

There are stats on this go check them out.

Just now, Cheap Talk said:

There are stats on this go check them out.

I was talking about the part about the OC telling the QB who to throw to. Also, if you're so sure about all these stats then post them or STFU about it. Because honestly, until you do, you're just saying things just to say them. I'm not the one claiming there's stats to backup my point and then refusing to post them.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I was talking about the part about the OC telling the QB who to throw to. Also, if you're so sure about all these stats then post them or STFU about it. Because honestly, until you do, you're just saying things just to say them. I'm not the one claiming there's stats to backup my point and then refusing to post them.

I do not know where to look for them, throwing myself to the wolves along with you. I'm betting that if some Stat Geek comes-up with them, the Falcons will have allowed the opposing QB more time to throw than any other team in the NFL this year!

I do not know where to look for them, throwing myself to the wolves along with you. I'm betting that if some Stat Geek comes-up with them, the Falcons will have allowed the opposing QB more time to throw than any other team in the NFL this year!

If you don't know where to find the stats then how do you know they exist?

Have announcers use them.

I have never in all my years of watching football had seen it used on a broadcast that "QBs hold onto the ball for this many seconds against this team."

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I have never in all my years of watching football had seen it used on a broadcast that "QBs hold onto the ball for this many seconds against this team."

Well I have........multiple times at that.