Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cole World

My #1 FA acquistion for 2019 - DE/DT Muhammad Wilkerson

13 posts in this topic

We are paying Brooks Reed 4.5M this season and next to be a force in the run game and provide some pass rush. From what I'm seeing that not really happening.

Meanwhile Muhammad Wilkerson signed a 1 yr - 5M dollar deal with the Packers this past offseason but got injured early and will MTL be playing for a similar type deal next season (with the abundance of DL talent coming out and coming off injury).

If Falcons were smart, instead of paying Reed that 4.5M and possibly resigning Shelby they could just get a monster in the run game to fulfill that 5T they been looking for since Quinn took over.

Besides Wilkerson could give you some sacks and pressure up the middle as a DT as well.

I haven't worked on my Mock since the college season is still ongoing and not sure exactly where we will be picking, but Wilkerson would be my top FA acquisition.

atlbaby likes this

Atlanta is paying Reed 3M this year, and 940,000 dead money (Money already paid).

Saints game:

Takk 32 snaps  0 Tackles

Vic 28 snaps     1 Tackle

Irvin 23 snaps    1 Tackle

Reed 19 snaps   4 tackles

7 hours ago, Hometownfan said:

Atlanta is paying Reed 3M this year, and 940,000 dead money (Money already paid).

Saints game:

Takk 32 snaps  0 Tackles

Vic 28 snaps     1 Tackle

Irvin 23 snaps    1 Tackle

Reed 19 snaps   4 tackles

They did restructure Reed contract this past offseason but he’s getting paid more than the 3M you are stating (a shade less than 4M). Regardless he’s already on the team this season. Next season, the point of the thread, he will be getting more money than what Wilkerson got this season.

Ok, you pointed to one game. None of those tackles were anything significant i.e. TFL’s or sacks. Wilkerson make things happen behind the line of scrimmage.

atlbaby likes this

9 hours ago, Cole World said:

They did restructure Reed contract this past offseason but he’s getting paid more than the 3M you are stating (a shade less than 4M). Regardless he’s already on the team this season. Next season, the point of the thread, he will be getting more money than what Wilkerson got this season.

Ok, you pointed to one game. None of those tackles were anything significant i.e. TFL’s or sacks. Wilkerson make things happen behind the line of scrimmage.

"A shade less than 4M" is the 3M plus the 940,000 dead money.  Have a look at total tackles for the season for Takk, Vic, and Reed (Not enough games played for a good comparison with Irvin) then compare to total snaps for each.

4 minutes ago, Hometownfan said:

"A shade less than 4M" is the 3M plus the 940,000 dead money.  Have a look at total tackles for the season for Takk, Vic, and Reed (Not enough games played for a good comparison with Irvin) then compare to total snaps for each.

The 940,000 is part of the signing bonus that was spread out over the years. The 940K to include his 3M base salary has him receiving 3.94M this season. A shade below 4M...but again his contract was restructured and his salary next year is worthy of cutting him for Wilkerson who can do more for the same amount.

atlbaby likes this

1) Muhammad is a 315 Lb. Man.  He plays DE on teams that run a 3/4 D.  On a 4/3 D he would be a DT.  Atlanta runs a 4/3 D.

2) "2017 season.

On December 15, the Jets announced that Wilkerson would be scratched for the upcoming Week 15 game against the New Orleans Saints due to showing up late for a team meeting. It was also revealed the Wilkerson had a history of violating team rules, including showing up late or missing team meetings, therefore putting his tenure with the Jets in jeopardy.[23] Wilkerson was inactive again for Week 16 against the Los Angeles Chargers. It was revealed that Wilkerson showed up late for team meetings four times in the past three years, and the Jets posed a threat to release Wilkerson if he was inactive for one more game due to any sort of disciplinary reason.[24] Ultimately, Wilkerson was declared inactive for the season finale against the New England Patriots in Week 17.[25] Limited to 13 games (12 starts), Wilkerson finished with 46 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 4 passes defended, and an interception.

On February 28, 2018, Wilkerson was released by the Jets." (Wiki).

55 minutes ago, Hometownfan said:

1) Muhammad is a 315 Lb. Man.  He plays DE on teams that run a 3/4 D.  On a 4/3 D he would be a DT.  Atlanta runs a 4/3 D.

2) "2017 season.

On December 15, the Jets announced that Wilkerson would be scratched for the upcoming Week 15 game against the New Orleans Saints due to showing up late for a team meeting. It was also revealed the Wilkerson had a history of violating team rules, including showing up late or missing team meetings, therefore putting his tenure with the Jets in jeopardy.[23] Wilkerson was inactive again for Week 16 against the Los Angeles Chargers. It was revealed that Wilkerson showed up late for team meetings four times in the past three years, and the Jets posed a threat to release Wilkerson if he was inactive for one more game due to any sort of disciplinary reason.[24] Ultimately, Wilkerson was declared inactive for the season finale against the New England Patriots in Week 17.[25] Limited to 13 games (12 starts), Wilkerson finished with 46 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 4 passes defended, and an interception.

On February 28, 2018, Wilkerson was released by the Jets." (Wiki).

Have you heard of the 4-3 under? Have you heard of Red Bryant if so, you would know that’s what we run when we are in base and that a 5T is a DE in it. Red Bryant who was 6-4 323 was the 5T in Seahawks defense. Tyson Jackson 6-4 325 was our 5T before he was let go.

When we go to Nickel, it then becomes your traditional 4-3 Defense with 2 DE’s and 2 DT’s. In that case Wilkerson could slide down and play DT as well. 

atlbaby likes this

I thought our 4/3 "under" was when the offense showed a TE or inserted a FB.  Then, we brought a LB'er up closer to the line on the strong side?    What I see in Base is Reed, Takk, Vic and before Shelby (now Irvin) alternating at the two DE spots and two DTs.  Are you saying that we normally have 3 heavy defensive players in Base?

What do Red Bryant, Muhammad Wilkerson and Chick Fil-A have in common?  None of them works on Sundays.   :)

57 minutes ago, Hometownfan said:

I thought our 4/3 "under" was when the offense showed a TE or inserted a FB.  Then, we brought a LB'er up closer to the line on the strong side?    What I see in Base is Reed, Takk, Vic and before Shelby (now Irvin) alternating at the two DE spots and two DTs.  Are you saying that we normally have 3 heavy defensive players in Base?

What do Red Bryant, Muhammad Wilkerson and Chick Fil-A have in common?  None of them works on Sundays.   :)

You need a eye exam because you don’t see that line-up in base. Shelby was our 5T in base and yes we have 3 bigger players in Base (5T, 1T, & 3T). Reed/Takk is the Leo.

How many All Pro’s has Reed been rewarded? Exactly, Muhammad has done more than Reed ever has.

atlbaby likes this

I would love to get Wilkerson but would try to sign him for 2 or 3 years. I wanted Calais Campbell when he was a FA but I knew we wouldn’t target him due to funds.

imagine a line of Wilkerson-Jarrett-Simmons/Q Williams-&McKinley

Cole World likes this

10 minutes ago, Cole World said:

You need a eye exam because you don’t see that line-up in base. Shelby was our 5T in base and yes we have 3 bigger players in Base (5T, 1T, & 3T). Reed/Takk is the Leo.

How many All Pro’s has Reed been rewarded? Exactly, Muhammad has done more than Reed ever has.

I think he’s trolling.

Cole World likes this

2 hours ago, Cole World said:

Ok, so Wilkerson wouldn't replace Reed in Base.  He would replace Shelby.

Has Wilkerson ever won a Conference championship?  Played in a Superbowl?

Edited by Hometownfan

16 hours ago, atlbaby said:

I would love to get Wilkerson but would try to sign him for 2 or 3 years. I wanted Calais Campbell when he was a FA but I knew we wouldn’t target him due to funds.

imagine a line of Wilkerson-Jarrett-Simmons/Q Williams-&McKinley

If it was to happen that D-line would be dangerous.