Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caponine

Coleman most negative run plays

75 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, shc said:

The stat itself doesn't really tell anything other than our OL sucks. If there was a stat saying our defense gave up more points in the 4th quarter than anyone else sounds bad. But if there was also a stat that said we had a +21 point differential in the 4th quarter means it isn't that bad

No, the stat literally means that Tevin Coleman has been tackled behind the LOS more than any other RB in the NFL.

Flying Falcon likes this

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

No, the stat literally means that Tevin Coleman has been tackled behind the LOS more than any other RB in the NFL.

I don't think I disputed that. Point being taking that lone stat doesn't speak to his ability. He ranks 25th in rushing. 

What has to happen for a running back to get tackled in the backfield?

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Been saying this line sux for.a.long time. For some reason PFF had them graded high, but they never passed the eye test. Time to change the scheme man. It's just based off finesse and we don't have the staff or practice time to perfect it. Matt makes his o line look decent  but when you can't even pass the run open it's time to look in the mirror. And that mirror stares back hard these days.

5 hours ago, Knight of God said:

He won’t be here next year.

Hope Freeman still has his jumpcut. I to looks legit, and Coleman never parlays his homerun speed into long t.d.s anyway.We really need a Snelling right now. He is one of the most underrated falcons ever. 

6 hours ago, shc said:

I don't think I disputed that. Point being taking that lone stat doesn't speak to his ability. He ranks 25th in rushing. 

What has to happen for a running back to get tackled in the backfield?

Exactly. His average vision isn't the problem. If the crease is there he has shown he can hit it. However we don't need to waste the cap space on him,as I to will be just as effective next year

8 hours ago, cwell1 said:

Coleman is Trent Richardson with speed. No vision, and doesn’t break tackles. He has to go untouched to get anything consistently. He’s a change of pace/ career backup. If any team is dumb enough to pay him big money to be a lead back they’ll regret it tremendously 

I really doubt anyone sees him as more than rbbc guy at this point.

Flying Falcon likes this

15 hours ago, Falcons_Pantera_KoRn said:

We need to draft at least 3 OL in next year's draft.  Yes, I understand that we have plenty of defensive needs also, but we must fix the OL.

Exactly. He have the highest paid o line bc we neglect trenches for splash players. Give me a top 5 o line and terron ward over a patchwork line with a premier back.

Bottom line is, if you had 2017 Free back, with this line, the OC, this defense, etc. we would still be subpar .500 (maybe with the same record). If you brought 2016 Free back, we might be.500, but we wouldn't be a SB team.

Trouble is, 2016 Free ain't coming back, and if he did with our line, he would turn into 2018 Free pretty quickly.

19 hours ago, caponine said:

Tevin Coleman has most negative plays of any NFL running back

The loss of Devonta Freeman has destroyed Atlanta’s run game.

usa_today_11715693.0.jpg
Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

We know the Atlanta Falcons have no run game. While Steve Sarkisian has stubbornly tried to keep the run game going, the results have been terrible. The Falcons have devolved into only the passing attack and basically Damontae Kazee.

The Falcons have had trouble with run blocking. Both Andy Levitre and Brandon Fusco went to injured reserve earlier this season, and Ryan Schraeder plays like he’s on injured reserve. We are also seeing what poor blocking and a running back with poor vision and an inability to break tackles means.
That’s Tevin Coleman far and away the most likely player to lose yardage on any given run play. It would be wrong to put all the blame on him (see: poor blocking), but we learned this season that Coleman is far from an every down back. Despite a shuffled offensive line and changing fullbacks, Coleman is averaging 4.1 yards per carry, nearly identical to his career 4.2 yards per carry.

Running back success metrics have long put Devonta Freeman near the top of the league with Coleman near the bottom. Coleman has blazing speed but has not been able to consistently put it to use. He’s projected to finish the season at an uninspiring 736 rushing yards and 390 receiving yards. Freeman’s injury has likely cost Coleman a sizable chunk of change in free agency now that teams have seen he shines as a change of pace option.

The run game isn’t coming back before Freeman gets healthy.

Chambers has basically plagiarized what I’ve been saying all year about our RBs. This team misses freeman more than most folks in here are willing to admit. 

And Coleman has played himself out of a huge free agency offseason contract. 

Sorry OP, I know the truth hurts. 

raysnill1 and Flying Falcon like this

22 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Chambers has basically plagiarized what I’ve been saying all year about our RBs. This team misses freeman more than most folks in here are willing to admit. 

And Coleman has played himself out of a huge free agency offseason contract. 

Sorry OP, I know the truth hurts. 

First things first, i said we need Freeman to be really successful this year

He may not get a big contract but he will still get a modest one. Behind this sh itty offensive line he is still averaging 4 ypc. Thats good. If the line was a little better then he would def be better but ive also said that he has made some bad reads this year. Wherever he goes, they’re really gonna work with him on that 

Vandy likes this

25 minutes ago, caponine said:

First things first, i said we need Freeman to be really successful this year

He may not get a big contract but he will still get a modest one. Behind this sh itty offensive line he is still averaging 4 ypc. Thats good. If the line was a little better then he would def be better but ive also said that he has made some bad reads this year. Wherever he goes, they’re really gonna work with him on that 

Just having some fun, Cappy. 

21 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Two words

Toss sweep

Not even a question....we run toss plays, specifically toss sweeps on about 30% of our run plays it seems....and they are usually an abject failure

WhenFalconsWin likes this

42 minutes ago, ki46dinah said:

Not even a question....we run toss plays, specifically toss sweeps on about 30% of our run plays it seems....and they are usually an abject failure

Yep, Coleman has the most negative tuns through no fault of his own.

4 hours ago, Vandy said:

Just having some fun, Cappy. 

though im starting to agree this may not be the best system for him. Instead he needs a downhill running team tbh. Which isnt a shot because gurley and zeke isnt like a freeman, johnson and bell where they are hella shifty. Im not comparing them just saying that you maybe right this system isnt right for coleman.

Vandy likes this

22 hours ago, Tmodel66 said:

Bottom line is, if you had 2017 Free back, with this line, the OC, this defense, etc. we would still be subpar .500 (maybe with the same record). If you brought 2016 Free back, we might be.500, but we wouldn't be a SB team.

LOL....a healthy free plus a little better situational coaching this team would be 8-3, 7-4 at worst. 

Flying Falcon and Schwarzwald like this

On 11/27/2018 at 11:56 AM, Falcons_Frenzy said:

My question is this. Where are the stud players on this team that outplay their draft spot? You know, the 2nd-7th rounders that truly make a difference? Seems to me like the vast majority of players in Atlanta are just already good before they get there (hence why they went in round 1 or got a big free agent deal) or they flat out fail to ever get any better. I know there are some exceptions on the team but overall I feel like this holds true. Is this bad luck, bad evaluation, poor coaching, the players own doing, or some combination of everything? I just don't know.

Debo has been hurt, Allen hurt, Freeman hurt, Kazee is balling, Grady Jarrett has been better than a 4th rounder.  We have many guys that perform above draft grade.

The bigger problem is that we are not getting our money's worth on the OL.  We have overpaid for average guys, and then both of the guards got hurt.  Not only is the OL not doing well, but they are preventing us from getting full value from our VERY high priced skill players.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:47 AM, Vandy said:

LOL....a healthy free plus a little better situational coaching this team would be 8-3, 7-4 at worst. 

We are 4-8.  Our coaches aren't getting smarter and Free isn't getting healthy.  

Tell me now how the Falcons are going to win the next four and get into the playoffs at 8-8.

10 hours ago, Tmodel66 said:

We are 4-8.  Our coaches aren't getting smarter and Free isn't getting healthy.  

Tell me now how the Falcons are going to win the next four and get into the playoffs at 8-8.

That wasn’t my point. At all.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

That wasn’t my point. At all.

Just quoting what you said.  Do you really believe Free + better situational coaching makes this team 8-3?  After all, "We are who our record says we are."

I hope you are right that Free is going to come back next year and ball out, that our OLine will justify being the highest paid line in football, that our defense will do fundamental things better like stop the run and TACKLE, that our coaches will stop getting out-schemed, that our FO will pick players who will make us better over the long term, and that salary cap issues - which no one here is talking about - do not leave us in a position to be unable to retain key players and improve our team through free agency while other teams get better.

But...I don't see all of that happening.   

On 11/27/2018 at 1:01 PM, jlrfalcon said:

There is obviously a cult of fans out there in love with the Freeman of 2014-2016.  That Freeman is gone and will never come back after concussions and other injuries.

I am not saying Coleman is a great running back but the guy rarely gets thrown to any more in Sark's world and is a good runner behind a reasonable OL.

On the other hand, there seems to be some sort of Coleman cult and you're one of the main members.  Look, Coleman is a great change of pace home run hitter, but he's not good at navigating trash blocking to pick up one yard.  He's long legged and runs with a high center of gravity.  So yeah, he sucks at the traditional RB role when your OL is mediocre or below.

The idea that Freeman is "never coming back" is a fine story if you want to tell yourself that.  But the fact is he's still young and plenty of guys have come back from the same injuries.

It is the OL. The article writer does not watch Falcons obviously. Just looks at stats. Devonta can not do any better if he is hit three yards deep in backfield. Sigh..