Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

caponine

Coleman most negative run plays

75 posts in this topic

Tevin Coleman has most negative plays of any NFL running back

The loss of Devonta Freeman has destroyed Atlanta’s run game.

usa_today_11715693.0.jpg
Chuck Cook-USA TODAY Sports

We know the Atlanta Falcons have no run game. While Steve Sarkisian has stubbornly tried to keep the run game going, the results have been terrible. The Falcons have devolved into only the passing attack and basically Damontae Kazee.

The Falcons have had trouble with run blocking. Both Andy Levitre and Brandon Fusco went to injured reserve earlier this season, and Ryan Schraeder plays like he’s on injured reserve. We are also seeing what poor blocking and a running back with poor vision and an inability to break tackles means.

That’s Tevin Coleman far and away the most likely player to lose yardage on any given run play. It would be wrong to put all the blame on him (see: poor blocking), but we learned this season that Coleman is far from an every down back. Despite a shuffled offensive line and changing fullbacks, Coleman is averaging 4.1 yards per carry, nearly identical to his career 4.2 yards per carry.

Running back success metrics have long put Devonta Freeman near the top of the league with Coleman near the bottom. Coleman has blazing speed but has not been able to consistently put it to use. He’s projected to finish the season at an uninspiring 736 rushing yards and 390 receiving yards. Freeman’s injury has likely cost Coleman a sizable chunk of change in free agency now that teams have seen he shines as a change of pace option.

The run game isn’t coming back before Freeman gets healthy.

Lol Barry Sanders aint running behind this line. You can have all the moves you want but if defenders are already penetrating when you are getting the ball. You arent going anywhere. It’s crazy because i thought he praised coleman these last few weeks and wished he got more touches but after 1 bad game after the bye he sh*ts on him. I’ve seen so many negative runs from our backs, Coleman, Ito and Freeman. At some point you have to look at the line. 

Doesn't it seem like for Atlanta to have any success anywhere they have to either sign a proven vet or use a 1st rounder? Even this is skeptical at best. If they need the best player at every position to win then something's wrong. They need a 1st round WR#3 to be successful there? Don't get me wrong I like Ridley. I hope he's a great player. This is just an example. How good is he exactly? We won't truely know until he's out from behind the shadow of Julio and Sanu. Not to take away from his accomplishments so far but it should be easy to be successful as a 1st round pick when you have the talent the Falcons already have at WR position and you aren't the focus of defenses.

My question is this. Where are the stud players on this team that outplay their draft spot? You know, the 2nd-7th rounders that truly make a difference? Seems to me like the vast majority of players in Atlanta are just already good before they get there (hence why they went in round 1 or got a big free agent deal) or they flat out fail to ever get any better. I know there are some exceptions on the team but overall I feel like this holds true. Is this bad luck, bad evaluation, poor coaching, the players own doing, or some combination of everything? I just don't know.

NCFalconfan likes this

There is obviously a cult of fans out there in love with the Freeman of 2014-2016.  That Freeman is gone and will never come back after concussions and other injuries.

I am not saying Coleman is a great running back but the guy rarely gets thrown to any more in Sark's world and is a good runner behind a reasonable OL.

shock likes this

4 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Is this bad luck, bad evaluation, poor coaching, the players own doing, or some combination of everything?

You left out one important thing:  loser mentality. 

This team simply can't close out games because in the backs of their minds, they're waiting to blow it, and they know they are going to blow it at crunch time. 

Tandy likes this

Don't  hate me fellas for even typing this, don't  ban me either........but isn't Mark Ingram a free agent at the end of the season? I'd bring him in!  :ninja:. Don't ban me bro!

4 minutes ago, Andrews_31 said:

Don't  hate me fellas for even typing this, don't  ban me either........but isn't Matk Ingram a free agent at the end of the season? I'd bring him in!  :ninja:. Don't ban me bro!

Anyone who can run a football is okay with me.   Warrick Dunn used to be a Buc, and we all got over that.

The way I see the run game is the same way I view Justin Hardy returning kicks. Just don't screw up, fumble, and lose yards. Allow Matt, Julio, Ridley and Sanu to work without having to account for your mistakes. Clearly, Tevin hasn't lived up to even this mediocre expectation.

Flying Falcon likes this

8 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

The way I see the run game is the same way I view Justin Hardy returning kicks. Just don't screw up, fumble, and lose yards. Allow Matt, Julio, Ridley and Sanu to work without having to account for your mistakes. Clearly, Tevin hasn't lived up to even this mediocre expectation.

yet this was just 1 since the bye, most games since then he’s gotten positive yardage consistently

FalconJim likes this

3 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

wat

read the OP

i am the op lol they count negative yard runs as no yards or 1 yard losses. He in no way sets matt ryan back 

ya_boi_j likes this

1 minute ago, caponine said:

i am the op lol they count negative yard runs as no yards or 1 yard losses. He in no way sets matt ryan back 

He's set Matt Ryan back more than any other RB in the NFL has their QB.

Flying Falcon likes this

36 minutes ago, octoslash said:

You left out one important thing:  loser mentality. 

This team simply can't close out games because in the backs of their minds, they're waiting to blow it, and they know they are going to blow it at crunch time. 

I know what you mean. In crunch time of games they get so scared to lose the game for the team. They actually end up doing nothing and losing it anyway.

12 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

He's set Matt Ryan back more than any other RB in the NFL has their QB.

from 1&10 to 2&11 to 1st down lol yeahhh ok chief 

5 minutes ago, caponine said:

from 1&10 to 2&11 to 1st down lol yeahhh ok chief 

Huh? Why are you posting an anti-Coleman article if you're just going to argue with people that are agreeing with it?

Flying Falcon likes this

1 minute ago, Falcanuck said:

Huh? Why are you posting an anti-Coleman article if you're just going to argue with people that are agreeing with it?

im posting it because this article is idiotic , how can you put the blame on one single person?? He has to run behind a ol , he didnt suck last week when he was slicing up Dallas.

FalconinPA likes this

7 hours ago, falcons007 said:

With this line even an Healthy Freeman wouldn’t do much. Remember this team is at its best 1-2 punch. However with this crappy OL, even Freeman wouldn’t have done much.

Agreee!!  Now i agree that Freeman could have made some runs coleman couldnt but still with this line, he woud have done very little

3 minutes ago, caponine said:

im posting it because this article is idiotic , how can you put the blame on one single person?? He has to run behind a ol , he didnt suck last week when he was slicing up Dallas.

It's empirical data. 

Flying Falcon likes this

1 hour ago, Falcanuck said:

8 minutes ago, Falcanuck said:

No, it isn't.

This back and forth has me in tears! :lol::lol:

Flying Falcon likes this