My Most Horrible Suspicion....

fed up !!!

..is  that  for  this  ownership the number one priority, by far, is marketing and ticket sales, over doing what is necessary to sustain a long lasting  winning program.Let me explain. Most of our drafts tend toward the  "splashy" rather than the meat and potatoes of football,and y'all know what that is. But a  big lineman is not  as  sexy  as a fancy wide receiver,and can't be counted upon to excite the fans with an acrobatic catch at the back of the end zone.The problem with this of course is that too many times we can't stop the opposition from running it down our throat,and on the other side way too many times we allow our QB to take a real beating. But  the biggest problem to me is the assinine  cutting of ties  with GOOD and SOLID players like Dimarco and Toilolo to save  a couple of million in salary, and then  turning around and replacing them  with minimum wage guys so we can have a  little extra  cash for  Julio.It is my contention that with those two exceptional blockers on the roster we have at least two more wins so far this season.

I'm going to stop before i get upset.... fire away.

4 hours ago, fed up !!! said:

Most of our drafts tend toward the "splashy" rather than the meat and potatoes of football, and y'all know what that is.

We've known this ever since they drafted Julio instead of solid linemen, or JJ Watt, after not forcing the Packers to punt even once in the 2011 playoffs.  All sizzle and no steak.

5 hours ago, fed up !!! said:

..is  that  for  this  ownership the number one priority, by far, is marketing and ticket sales, over doing what is necessary to sustain a long lasting  winning program.Let me explain. Most of our drafts tend toward the  "splashy" rather than the meat and potatoes of football,and y'all know what that is. But a  big lineman is not  as  sexy  as a fancy wide receiver,and can't be counted upon to excite the fans with an acrobatic catch at the back of the end zone.The problem with this of course is that too many times we can't stop the opposition from running it down our throat,and on the other side way too many times we allow our QB to take a real beating. But  the biggest problem to me is the assinine  cutting of ties  with GOOD and SOLID players like Dimarco and Toilolo to save  a couple of million in salary, and then  turning around and replacing them  with minimum wage guys so we can have a  little extra  cash for  Julio.It is my contention that with those two exceptional blockers on the roster we have at least two more wins so far this season.

We got the flashy names (Julio, Ridley, Free, MR2,) now let's get the meat and potatoes.

9 hours ago, fed up !!! said:

Umm, duh?

But Mr. Blank also understands that a winning program fills the seats, and he's been fairly successful at getting the right people to do that even if it hasn't translated to winning a Super Bowl.

But he's not and shouldn't get involved in actual football operations (like Jerry Jones) and leave that to the people he hired. He's been one of the best owners I think.

But yeah, any smart owner's first priority is the bottom line. It's pretty silly to think otherwise and even sillier to think there's something wrong with that. If this franchise wasn't making any money Atlanta probably wouldn't have one by now.

9 hours ago, fed up !!! said:

Some of that may be true but:

TD drafted Julio. Most of those picks turn-out to be nothing for The Browns. Most of the players picked after that trade are out of the Leaugue.

Ridley: was a good "Value-Pick". It made sense. Julio is "getting-up there" and he was asking for more money. Sanu 's money will be used in other places soon. They needed a prospect at WR. TD, Pioli and Quinn drafted defense every draft, but this one. When The Falcons offense getsprotection, and a RB who can block for Ryan as well as make the correct "cuts" in this scheme, they will be more potent that The Saints.

TD during the Smith seasons:

He drafted an SEC guard from Alabama! That guy could not remain healthy. Same for the prospect from Wisconsin. They were supposed to be the interior line for The Falcons for 3-6 seasons here. Even I have to say that this was dire misfortune for TD and Smith even.

That's why Ridley was a good pick. You do not know what may happen. Need a potential #1 WR.

If Ed Oliver is available at #7 in the 2019 NFL Draft. TD, Pioli, and Quinn, must draft him (or any other dominant DL)

Even though they have Senat, and wil re-sign Grady Jarrett, they have zero Pro Bowlers at DT. Plus, injuries can change your season.

Great "value pick". 

10 hours ago, fed up !!! said:

..is  that  for  this  ownership the number one priority, by far, is marketing and ticket sales, over doing what is necessary to sustain a long lasting  winning program.

The problem with this theory is that Arthur Blank clearly understands that having a winning team is the only way to sell tickets in Atlanta.  It's not Green Bay.

Yea pretty much, We have continually neglected our OL and DL and always have schemes in place to light finesse guys ont he OL and DL that get beat up and pushed around all the time.

Sadly the powers that be don't realize with a good solid OL and DL our flashy skill players would be ever better and become bigger stars. In the long run it is anti productive in every way shape and form to keep neglecting the OL and DL.

This complaint would make sense if winning wasn’t the number 1 way to maximize ticket sales and revenue. I highly doubt that “boring” draft picks have been passed over for flashy players in attempt to solely sell tickets. The two may be correlated in that they thought the flashy players would help translate to wins though, which can be argued as a mistake. 

17 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Can Dimarco and Toilolo play Defense? I suspect you haven’t watched single falcons game.

But our offense did not really need too much better of a defense than present in 2016-17 - we simply outscored everybody until the end where time management screwed us.