Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sven

After today, we draft at #7. Who do you take?

103 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, vel said:

You really think we beat Baltimore? 

I think we end 5-11, 6-10 at best. I think we get beat solidly by Baltimore and GB. The heat gets very hot and we stomp a very bad Arizona team, then lose to Carolina while finishing on the road with an L in a shootout vs the Bucs. 

Yeah, I do.

The Falcons are & seem to always be a VERY Jeckyl & Hyde team. They only thing they ever seem to be consistent about is lacking consistency, and they are always up & down like a roller coaster. They've been down a lot lately, so I think they pull up just a bit this week & end up finishing out the season on an up/down/up/down path.

As far as this game vs Baltimore, we'll be at home with a massive chip on our shoulders & something to prove. Not saying it'll be pretty, but I think we're able to have a few things break our way for a change early in the game... like creating a turnover or two rather than giving them up... which allows us to get an early lead. That in turn forces Baltimore's offense to abandon the run & they pull close but ultimately cannot keep up with us.

Everyone will assume the win is largely due to some changes DQ made... likely on the o-line... and Deion Jones returning so the D looks slightly better/more confident than it has the past several weeks. There will be a faint glimmer of optimism for a split second, but then things will come crashing back down to Earth when we go on the road to GB & lose in crappy conditions to a beat up Packers team. Rodgers has gone 0-3 against the Falcons during their last three matchups... but those were all in Atlanta. He'll get us at his house this go round & will be playing out of his mind, looking to prove his critics wrong. Additionally Mike McCarthy is very likely coaching to save his job in these remaining weeks. If those players are still willing to fight for him, we are not winning that game.

Like you said, we stomp the Cards & everyone is excited once again about the potential for the offense.

Then we go to Carolina and they stomp us.

We close it out with Matt Bryant hitting a 50 yard game-winning FG in a tight one against the Bucs. While the win is great & all, it's ultimately pretty meaningless at this point for both teams, so we just end up costing ourselves a few spots in draft position thanks to this win.

falconfreek123 and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Focus on the lines with the first couple picks. All the top teams have one thing in common: strong offensive and defensive lines. After that, I would focus on the secondary. Continue to build depth in our secondary.

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

It matters G-Dawg. I agree you draft for the long term. If you roll off a BPA approach for three or four years your roster will be stacked with riches. Even some you can parlay later in trades for picks or players. In the Dimi regime, with the exception of a couple of players like Ridley, we took a needs based approach and left some beasts on the board. Many of his need picks didn't fill our needs. That hurt us in the past and is still hurting us today. Don't get caught in a needs vortex.

Yeah we whiffed on some free agents in the past but we also hit on a few like The Burner, Mack, Ovie, Grimes, Rod, Grady, Metcalf, Chandler, Mathis, Clabo, Dahl, Ice Bryant, Poe, DiMarco and Sanu. Trades in the NFL are legal too. See Abe, TonyG, Rison, Hinton, Asante, Foxy, etc. The draft shouldn't be our savior every year. It should be the core of our long term roster building strategy though. Stack the roster with beasts and our roster problems will subside in the long term..

There's a way for us to free up enough cap space to be players in free agency. There are certain things you don't play around with if you want to win a Lombardi. Namely OLine and DLine. That is something we just haven't been successful at building. Mainly because of turrible needs based drafting. I sure would like to see us continue down the BPA path we started with Ridley, who was more of a BPA than need pick. Keep doing that and hire vets to fill holes until your young core is ready.

Lol.

Who are you.

Whoever has hijacked this account preach.

LoL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Whoever the best offensive lineman is

Jonah Williams is that guy, and probably the only OT worth a pick that high. Might be one other worth a late first, but the OT class is garbage outside of Williams. He's being mocked to AZ in a lot of drafts, but I expect AZ to lose out and get the #1 pick with the lowest SOS. In that case they probably go with Bosa and Jonah Williams may actually slide our way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, k-train said:

Yeah, I do.

The Falcons are & seem to always be a VERY Jeckyl & Hyde team. They only thing they ever seem to be consistent about is lacking consistency, and they are always up & down like a roller coaster. They've been down a lot lately, so I think they pull up just a bit this week & end up finishing out the season on an up/down/up/down path.

As far as this game vs Baltimore, we'll be at home with a massive chip on our shoulders & something to prove. Not saying it'll be pretty, but I think we're able to have a few things break our way for a change early in the game... like creating a turnover or two rather than giving them up... which allows us to get an early lead. That in turn forces Baltimore's offense to abandon the run & they pull close but ultimately cannot keep up with us.

Everyone will assume the win is largely due to some changes DQ made... likely on the o-line... and Deion Jones returning so the D looks slightly better/more confident than it has the past several weeks. There will be a faint glimmer of optimism for a split second, but then things will come crashing back down to Earth when we go on the road to GB & lose in crappy conditions to a beat up Packers team. Rodgers has gone 0-3 against the Falcons during their last three matchups... but those were all in Atlanta. He'll get us at his house this go round & will be playing out of his mind, looking to prove his critics wrong. Additionally Mike McCarthy is very likely coaching to save his job in these remaining weeks. If those players are still willing to fight for him, we are not winning that game.

Like you said, we stomp the Cards & everyone is excited once again about the potential for the offense.

Then we go to Carolina and they stomp us.

We close it out with Matt Bryant hitting a 50 yard game-winning FG in a tight one against the Bucs. While the win is great & all, it's ultimately pretty meaningless at this point for both teams, so we just end up costing ourselves a few spots in draft position thanks to this win.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, k-train said:

Looking at our remaining games I think we finish 7-9:

W vs BAL
L at GB
W vs AZ
L at CAR
W at TB

While also looking at the remaining schedules of other teams likely to pick in the top 15, I don't think it's very likely we'll be picking at #7 when it's all said and done. Somewhere from #10-#14 seems more realistic to me.

I agree. I have us losing to the Ravens and going 6-10, but still picking in the same range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

At this early stage I like:

Nick Bosa, Ohio State

Ed Olver, University Of Houston

Quinnen Williams, Bama

Rashan Gary, Michigan

Clelin Ferrell,  Clemson

Dexter Lawrence, Clemson

Raekwon Davis, Bama

 

I expect Bosa to be first player drafted. And both Oliver and Gary I would be a little worried about. Houston has Oliver's height and weight exagerated. He's not 292. Those guys are on crack. I hope he doesn't skip the combine, because I want to see what he tapes at.

Not sure we could go wrong with any of those picks though.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Falcon Blitz said:

Christian Wilkins would be amazing! Ed Oliver if he drops he’s maybe the greatest DT to come out past 10-15 years, maybe in the same sentence as Suh. Derrick Brown from Auburn would also be fine. Maybe 5-6 DT go top 10 lol. 

Have you ever heard of Aaron Donald??? :rolleyes:

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DT, DE. If we do pick that high value will be there. An elite DE will allow us to easily rescind the 5th year on Beasley and use that money to pay our young studs or find a OG in FA.

We need to get after the QB. It is crazy how much someone like a Donald or V Miller change a game almost every play. I watched denver vs Pitt this weekend and was truly jealous of their defense, especially Miller. 

Vandy and celtiksage like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 7:04 AM, FalconinPA said:

I would take Quinnen Williams with that pick, if he isn't available I would go with Greedy Williams out of LSU. Greedy will be gone y the seventh pick though

Sup Falconin  I see your still posting   haha

FalconinPA likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

BPA in every round. Don't fall in the Dimi needs based trap. That approach landed us the likes of SackMaker, Jelly, King Konz, Puddin, Featherspoon, Bustley, you name it. 

I agree. Lucky for us, this year BPA should be a DL. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

It matters G-Dawg. I agree you draft for the long term. If you roll off a BPA approach for three or four years your roster will be stacked with riches. Even some you can parlay later in trades for picks or players. In the Dimi regime, with the exception of a couple of players like Ridley, we took a needs based approach and left some beasts on the board. Many of his need picks didn't fill our needs. That hurt us in the past and is still hurting us today. Don't get caught in a needs vortex.

Yeah we whiffed on some free agents in the past but we also hit on a few like The Burner, Mack, Ovie, Grimes, Rod, Grady, Metcalf, Chandler, Mathis, Clabo, Dahl, Ice Bryant, Poe, DiMarco and Sanu. Trades in the NFL are legal too. See Abe, TonyG, Rison, Hinton, Asante, Foxy, etc. The draft shouldn't be our savior every year. It should be the core of our long term roster building strategy though. Stack the roster with beasts and our roster problems will subside in the long term..

There's a way for us to free up enough cap space to be players in free agency. There are certain things you don't play around with if you want to win a Lombardi. Namely OLine and DLine. That is something we just haven't been successful at building. Mainly because of turrible needs based drafting. I sure would like to see us continue down the BPA path we started with Ridley, who was more of a BPA than need pick. Keep doing that and hire vets to fill holes until your young core is ready.

Not being smart players during FA really hurt us last offseason. Patriots are the best at it, because they do their homework. For whatever reason, we don’t. That’s got to change, IMO. 

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, celtiksage said:

I expect Bosa to be first player drafted. And both Oliver and Gary I would be a little worried about. Houston has Oliver's height and weight exagerated. He's not 292. Those guys are on crack. I hope he doesn't skip the combine, because I want to see what he tapes at.

Not sure we could go wrong with any of those picks though.

Everyone on this Bosa hype-train are gonna look pretty foolish in a couple years, IMO.

Pacific_Falcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Everyone on this Bosa hype-train are gonna look pretty foolish in a couple years, IMO.

Yeah I think he and Oliver are pretty big risks considering their injury history and everything else. We don't have to worry about Bosa, he will be long gone.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 9:23 AM, Geneaut said:

Spend the 7th rounder on the biggest blocking FB/TE/H-back on the board. Preferably one who eats raw meat, and who draws crayon pictures with lots of fire and swords. Grab a few in FA also.

:lol:

Geneaut and Pacific_Falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we end up getting a top ten pick I hope that we can use it wisely.  I was looking at overthecap.com and it may not be 100% accurate just yet, but it looks like if we cut Beasley, Reed, and Alford we should be able to have almost 50 million next year to spend, not inluding any jump in cap for the league.  If we do give up on these players (honestly, I hope we dont, but things happen) we need to ensure that we pick correctly and not have given up on Beasley only to get another player who could be classified as a bust.  If we keep Irvin for a few more years and draft someone like Bosa or whoever falls to us, then it would be worth it, but last time I checked only 2 or 3 teams will be looking to draft a QB in the top ten as it stands, so with us probably getting in that latter part we may have to possibly trade down to accumulate more first round picks or value for ours if we can't find an immediate impact with that high one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2018 at 8:33 AM, Vandy said:

Round 2 for sure.

Will take a 4th rnd flier on a.Harlow type. Well sign another cheap f.a. OG. I'm guessing Xavier Sua'filo. Don't see Dallas retaining him and honestly makes sense to bring him in for a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, federicofalcon2 said:

If we end up getting a top ten pick I hope that we can use it wisely.  I was looking at overthecap.com and it may not be 100% accurate just yet, but it looks like if we cut Beasley, Reed, and Alford we should be able to have almost 50 million next year to spend, not inluding any jump in cap for the league.  If we do give up on these players (honestly, I hope we dont, but things happen) we need to ensure that we pick correctly and not have given up on Beasley only to get another player who could be classified as a bust.  If we keep Irvin for a few more years and draft someone like Bosa or whoever falls to us, then it would be worth it, but last time I checked only 2 or 3 teams will be looking to draft a QB in the top ten as it stands, so with us probably getting in that latter part we may have to possibly trade down to accumulate more first round picks or value for ours if we can't find an immediate impact with that high one.

And Trufant should be a target for restructure. Those numbers are  better than I figured.

federicofalcon2 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jm_falcons said:

Best DE on board....then move Beasley to OLB.....then stock up on OL pics....fire Sarkesian.

Sark is good.enough to get us there with a solid oline. Hopefully Levitre won't retire and will be able to.come.back. I Do though those injuries are fatal for trench ers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Sark is good.enough to get us there with a solid oline. Hopefully Levitre won't retire and will be able to.come.back. I Do though those injuries are fatal for trench ers

Levitre is done. Couldn't get through a few games this year after the injury that took him out last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites