Sven

After today, we draft at #7. Who do you take?

103 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, falconsfan4life3 said:

What about Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama or has he dropped?

I want Quennin Williams or Ed Oliver

Q Williams definitely 1st.

Joah Williams is a JR, hasn't declared. 

Take a look at Bama C Ross Pierschbacher. RS Senior, who was moved from LG to C this year.

Started 42 games at LG, tabbed this year for Outland and Rimmington trophies. 

Just someone to look at that is more Guard than Center. 

6 hours ago, Falcon Blitz said:

This might be one of the weakest OLine drafts in recent memory. There’s only 1-2 of the projected 1st round. 

Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss

Cody Ford, G, Oklahoma

This is my whole thing do you over draft at a spot or do you move on and draft better talent.I can see it now Falcons take oline and he busts.I personally don't trust olineman coming out and they adapting quickly.Its almost though these days there projects in the first round almost that's the scarey bit.

2 hours ago, Pacific_Falcon said:

We need a CB pretty badly

Any CB can look good as long as you have a pass rush. We could have Deion Sanders back there and he would look terrible with the amount of time QBs have to survey the field. 

Oliver has yet to get a real shot and is a 2nd round Pick. Alford is playing hurt. Trufant and Poole have shown to have the talent but are underperforming currently. All 4 of those guys will look 100x better with an improved D-Line.

Not to mention that Kazee or Allen will probably play as a CB next year.

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

it really doesn't matter FFS1970.   You draft the best player for your team long-term.   All of this "short-term" - "one year plan" sheot doesn't work anyway.

In Falcons history, there have been much more mistakes made in free agency than the draft - especially in the Blank/Dimitroff regime and Quinn.

Falcons aren't going to be players in FA with our $30mm QB, our $15mm+ WR and others up for deals.   We will only be mid-to-lower tier players in free agency for the forseeable future.

It matters G-Dawg. I agree you draft for the long term. If you roll off a BPA approach for three or four years your roster will be stacked with riches. Even some you can parlay later in trades for picks or players. In the Dimi regime, with the exception of a couple of players like Ridley, we took a needs based approach and left some beasts on the board. Many of his need picks didn't fill our needs. That hurt us in the past and is still hurting us today. Don't get caught in a needs vortex.

Yeah we whiffed on some free agents in the past but we also hit on a few like The Burner, Mack, Ovie, Grimes, Rod, Grady, Metcalf, Chandler, Mathis, Clabo, Dahl, Ice Bryant, Poe, DiMarco and Sanu. Trades in the NFL are legal too. See Abe, TonyG, Rison, Hinton, Asante, Foxy, etc. The draft shouldn't be our savior every year. It should be the core of our long term roster building strategy though. Stack the roster with beasts and our roster problems will subside in the long term..

There's a way for us to free up enough cap space to be players in free agency. There are certain things you don't play around with if you want to win a Lombardi. Namely OLine and DLine. That is something we just haven't been successful at building. Mainly because of turrible needs based drafting. I sure would like to see us continue down the BPA path we started with Ridley, who was more of a BPA than need pick. Keep doing that and hire vets to fill holes until your young core is ready.

kiwifalcon and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, Dirtybird3 said:

4 teams are at 4-7, we beat the bucs so not sure how they came out on top of that tie breaker. So I think we are more like 10th than 7th right now. But moving in the right direction 

Strength of Schedule plays a part. Out of the 4 teams that are 4-7 our S.O.S. is tougher.

#7 is correct.

Dirtybird3 likes this

3 minutes ago, Cole World said:

Strength of Schedule plays a part. Out of the 4 teams that are 4-7 our S.O.S. is tougher.

#7 is correct.

Ahh ok, figured head to head or con/Div record would come first, but makes sense. No complaints this way. Further we fall the more I wanna trade back and still get a DT in the top 15, and scoop another second

ike barn87987 likes this

1st round Christian Wilkins

2nd round Jeffrey Simmons

3rd round OG from Wisconsin Beau Benszawal

4th round LB from Miami Shaq Quarterman

4th round COMP OT from Washington

5th PR/WR Meco Hardemen UGA

6TH Alabama Center 

7th GT. DE ST ARMOR

7TH COMP BPA

7 hours ago, quotemokc said:

Trade down get another 2nd round pick

I like this idea and picking Gary from Michigan.  My question is how much heart/motor does this kid have after skipping games due to his injury and now announcing that he is going to the draft.

5 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

I’d definitely consider Devin White.  If this season has shown anything it’s that we can still use some playmaking linebackers.  

Vosean Joseph out of Florida is a breast, too.  I think he falls to the 2nd because of the premier defensive line depth that will take up most of the 1st round.  In which case I’d be hard pressed to draft the best defensive lineman in the 1st and then him in the 2nd.

I like Zuniga and Polite a lot more than Joseph.  Mark my words, if Polite goes to the combine he will make his way up draft boards.

18 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

1st round Christian Wilkins

2nd round Jeffrey Simmons

3rd round OG from Wisconsin Beau Benszawal

4th round LB from Miami Shaq Quarterman

4th round COMP OT from Washington

5th PR/WR Meco Hardemen UGA

6TH Alabama Center 

7th GT. DE ST ARMOR

7TH COMP BPA

lol, no way Simmons is going to be available in the 2nd, and unless UGA wins the NC Hardman is staying in school.

6 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

I like this idea and picking Gary from Michigan.  My question is how much heart/motor does this kid have after skipping games due to his injury and now announcing that he is going to the draft.

I like Zuniga and Polite a lot more than Joseph.  Mark my words, if Polite goes to the combine he will make his way up draft boards.

Gary is a massive bust waiting to happen imo. Even game film in which he tries isn't all that impressive to me.

KCFalcon22 likes this

And thats my only knock on him.  Thats why i mentioned the whole heart/motor.  I wanted Hurst last year as well, but I didn't hear much about him this year either.  I'll take one of my Florida Gators in a heart beat @Falcanuck

8 minutes ago, KCFalcon22 said:

And thats my only knock on him.  Thats why i mentioned the whole heart/motor.  I wanted Hurst last year as well, but I didn't hear much about him this year either.  I'll take one of my Florida Gators in a heart beat @Falcanuck

Polite will be a sack machine in the NFL.

KCFalcon22 likes this

At this early stage I like:

Nick Bosa, Ohio State

Ed Olver, University Of Houston

Quinnen Williams, Bama

Rashan Gary, Michigan

Clelin Ferrell,  Clemson

Dexter Lawrence, Clemson

Raekwon Davis, Bama

Looking at our remaining games I think we finish 7-9:

W vs BAL
L at GB
W vs AZ
L at CAR
W at TB

While also looking at the remaining schedules of other teams likely to pick in the top 15, I don't think it's very likely we'll be picking at #7 when it's all said and done. Somewhere from #10-#14 seems more realistic to me.

FalconFanSince1970 and Vandy like this

19 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

At this early stage I like:

Nick Bosa, Ohio State

I like Nick Bosa too, I think we might've made a mistake passing on TJ Watt because we were too cautious about buying into the Watt-brother hype, but now JJ and TJ are tied at 10 sacks, and he looks like an absolute beast. From everything I see, I think the Bosa brothers will turn out much the same. Joey comes in and sets the world on fire his first two years, and his brother Nick has a chance to be even better than him. If he drops to us and Quinnen/Oliver are off the board, it'd be a mistake to pass him up. He won't drop to us, though, in all likelihood. 

23 minutes ago, k-train said:

W vs BAL
L at GB
W vs AZ
L at CAR
W at TB

While also looking at the remaining schedules of other teams likely to pick in the top 15, I don't think it's very likely we'll be picking at #7 when it's all said and done. Somewhere from #10-#14 seems more realistic to me.

We more than likely improve our place in the standings, but right now we sit at #7, so I wanted everyone's thoughts on drafting in the Top 10. If we move up, we move up. Though, I'll say I predict us to be 6-10, because I don't see us beating the Ravens, and I could see us winning one of GB/CAR and fumbling one of the AZ/TB games. 

HASHBROWN3 likes this

The biggest, meanest, fastest, strongest OG or OT available from the SEC...he needs to be battle tested before the NFL and the only place you'll find that routinely is in the trenches of the SEC

1 hour ago, k-train said:

W vs BAL
L at GB
W vs AZ
L at CAR
W at TB

You really think we beat Baltimore? 

I think we end 5-11, 6-10 at best. I think we get beat solidly by Baltimore and GB. The heat gets very hot and we stomp a very bad Arizona team, then lose to Carolina while finishing on the road with an L in a shootout vs the Bucs. 

10 hours ago, Falcon Blitz said:

This might be one of the weakest OLine drafts in recent memory. There’s only 1-2 of the projected 1st round. 

Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss

Cody Ford, G, Oklahoma

they said the same thing about the 2017 draft where only 2 OL were picked and one turned out to be Ryan Ramczyk 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_NFL_Draft

Quinnen Williams, Bama 

Clelin Ferrell,  Clemson

Ed Olver, University Of Houston

In that order.. we need the best playmaker in DL... those 3 can make that happend.. if we go Ferrell come back in the second to get a DT who can pair up with Grady.. this draft should be the best in years.. very good DL..

11 hours ago, Falcon Blitz said:

Ed Oliver if he drops he’s maybe the greatest DT to come out past 10-15 years

You value Oliver over Aaron Donald?

If we are picking 7-10 I would try to trade back to 15-17 and get extra 2nd. My first pick would be Christian Wilkins. If he's gone give me Derrick Brown. 2nd rd  I would go LG Shane Lemieux from Oregon and RT Isaiah Prince OSU.

If we can't trade back I want Wilkins, Ferrell, or Polite.

Class is deep at DL...

Drop back in draft, pick up and extra 2nd or 3rd.

Trade Trufant for a 6th

Then roll with:

1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 4(c), 5, 5(c), 6, 6(c), 7

Play the numbers game at overturning the roster on DL and OL plus get skill guys at DB, WR, RB...