Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Falcons Fan MVP

Will the Falcons be a contender in 2019?

47 posts in this topic

What are the chances the Atlanta Falcons will be a major contender in 2019? We should be getting Debo, Neal and Ricardo back. I know our O line is a big problem. And our defense is being exposed. Our running back situation has some concerns. Can our problems be fixed in the draft? And Free Agency? Or is this more a 2-3 year fix?  

2019 Falcons: 4-12 (after losses to free agency due to cap space and upcoming draft of new players)

2020 Falcons: 12-4 (come out of no where with a great team again; division crown; 1st round bye)

The_Realist and FalconJim like this

I think we'll be a contender next year, but probably not for a SB. 

But 2020 looks like it might be a great year, with the divisions we'll be playing! 

Next year next year I get it, but I’m more worried about Rico coming back healthy vs Neal.  Achilles injuries, especially at his position are difficult to comeback from (ask Eric Berry).  He will have to push off of that surgically repaired Achilles every play.  

Kaptain Krazy likes this

3 hours ago, mqg96 said:

2019 Falcons: 4-12 (after losses to free agency due to cap space and upcoming draft of new players)

2020 Falcons: 12-4 (come out of no where with a great team again; division crown; 1st round bye)

And hopefully no Quinn or Thomas dimitroff and Matt Ryan benched...

I'm feeling 2019 will be a down year, simply due to the fact that this off-season will bring necessary changes to the coaching staff and we will lose some guys via FA. Also, due to the fact that the Falcons brass don't build through FA, and we will need some time to develop the next crop of draftees. 

Nope. Way too many needs to fill. Not to say we wont win some games based on our talent at the skill positions, but the physical teams will still push us around.

Just now, NCFalconfan said:

Nope. Way too many needs to fill. Not to say we wont win some games based on our talent at the skill positions, but the physical teams will still push us around.

That reality pi$$es me off so much. This front office has no excuse when it comes to the way they drafted this year. They made the conscious decision to go WR and CB instead of replacing our losses in the trenches. Terribly short-sighted on their part. 

If you could clone Kyle Shanahan and make him our OC, then we have a chance to contend.  If Sark is here 2019, it will be a lost year again.  This team has no heart or discipline right now.  Matt Ryan is confused, and the offense is back to not clicking.  I watched some 2016 tape, its almost like every play was going to work.  Watch  the tape this year, and you will be surprised if a play works.  How could Kyle make a guy like Joshua Perkins and DJ Tialevia into tight ends that can produce?  Bad Hire but mistakes are made. 

NCFalconfan and sdogg like this

Difficult to be a contender with the last ranked D in the NFC.  AB says we have a good "reason" because of all the injuries. I think AB is in denial, we should have position depth- isn't that why we have TD any why we lost all 4 preseason games?  The Falcons have a good sibling support system but poor coaching.  Hope they can figure this out and everyone keeps their job.

NCFalconfan likes this

Yes.

With Top 15 pick in 1st round, they have a unique opp to add an impact starter to an already one of more talented young defenses (when healthy) in NFL. Then go fix OG/OT issues in Rds 2-3. It’s the one good from this clusterfuk of a season.  

Hopefully next season doesn't start out with devastating injuries like this one did.

And it's not like this team is in complete shambles. 

They've lost four games...FOUR...on the last play of the game. 

Flip that and they're 8-3 right now. 

Getting the three (best) defensive players back should make a world of improvement. 

But really, it's the NFL, and there are only a couple teams that are contending every single year...so who knows about ours? 

I'm more worried about coaching than anything else.  Now that's troubling.

Dukeduke211 likes this

We need starting caliber players at RT, RG, LG, DT, Edge, RB, OLB and most-likely CB. We also need new positional coaches for the OL, DL, ST's and WR's.

I think it'll take us a couple off-season to get there. We can speed up the process by getting rid of some high dollar wastes and becoming more active in FA.

If heathy this team should be a playoff contender but still not a SB team, why you say?

The defense plays too soft with leads, the DL Is not junkyard mean enough along with the rest of defense.

Offense OL is too soft, cannot protect  the passer, no power running game, cannot convert short yardage on 3rd or 4th down with the run game.

Fix the problem, stop putting Band-Aids on the problem 

ike barn87987 likes this

17 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Hopefully next season doesn't start out with devastating injuries like this one did.

And it's not like this team is in complete shambles. 

They've lost four games...FOUR...on the last play of the game. 

Flip that and they're 8-3 right now. 

Getting the three (best) defensive players back should make a world of improvement. 

But really, it's the NFL, and there are only a couple teams that are contending every single year...so who knows about ours? 

I'm more worried about coaching than anything else.  Now that's troubling.

Its amazing how good we were after the Redskins game. Now we have so many holes.