After the 1st two plays vs the Saints, the problem is obvious

Road Warrior

I thought I'd try to do a breakdown of the entire Saints game.  After 2 plays, I turned the video off.

Play 1.  Shelby gets destroyed and knocked backwards into Oloukon who basically takes out two other defenders.  Richards should be in the hole but he just stands there and makes a weak attempt to make the tackle and whiffs.  After a 23 yd. gain right up the middle Kazee makes the tackle.  

Play 2 - Trufant is lined up 6 yds. off the receiver.  Brooks Reid is lined up on the end with the targeted receiver 4 ft. away from him in the backfield.  The ball snaps and I don't know what the **** Reed was thinking but he starts running downfield to cover the receiver that Trufant is on.  No football awareness at all.  Brees dumps the ball off to the back that Reed should have been covering and makes an easy 9 yd. gain.  Just pathetic defense.  

I may add to this later, but the first two plays were so pathetic I don't know if it's even worth it.  We've got one guy who gets pushed back 5 ff. and literally takes out two other defenders, a safety who can't support the run at all, then a DE who has no clue what his responsibility is.  That's the first two plays of the game.  

Edited by Road Warrior

Like to know what Quinn and the rest of his staff would score on the Wonderlic?

Would guess Shanahan/Sark combined would be more than the rest of the entire staff combined, Quinn included (Exclude Manuel from this exercise, know very little about him, except that he is coaching out of poistion).

This coaching staff needs a generous infusion of just plain and simple IQ points, especially at the top. Have always said nice things about Quinn, but have also contended at the same time that he was not very bright.

2 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

I thought I'd try to do a breakdown of the entire Saints game.  After 2 plays, I turned the video off.

Play 1.  Shelby gets destroyed and knocked backwards into Oloukon who basically takes out two other defenders.  Richards should be in the hole but he just stands there and makes a weak attempt to make the tackle and whiffs.  After a 23 yd. gain right up the middle Kazee makes the tackle.  

Play 2 - Trufant is lined up 6 yds. off the receiver.  Brooks Reid is lined up on the end with the targeted receiver 4 ft. away from him in the backfield.  The ball snaps and I don't know what the **** Reed was thinking but he starts running downfield to cover the receiver that Trufant is on.  No football awareness at all.  Brees dumps the ball off to the back that Reed should have been covering and makes an easy 9 yd. gain.  Just pathetic defense.  

I may add to this later, but the first two plays were so pathetic I don't know if it's even worth it.  We've got one guy who gets pushed back 5 ff. and literally takes out two other defenders, a safety who can't support the run at all, then a DE who has no clue what his responsibility is.  That's the first two plays of the game.  

2 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

Amazing so many here love reed! He is terrible 

13 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

Would guess Shanahan/Sark combined would be more than the rest of the entire staff combined, Quinn included (Exclude Manuel from this exercise, know very little about him, except that he is coaching out of poistion).

This coaching staff needs a generous infusion of just plain and simple IQ points, especially at the top. Have always said nice things about Quinn, but have also contended at the same time that he was not very bright.

Marquand is way above his head, for sure. I like the guy, but he's a Secondary coach who was promoted way too soon. He has some skills, so I'm not thinking the guy needs to be fired, but I do believe he would thrive if he were relegated back to Secondary. Our DC needs to be seasoned and crafty, or should simply be a clipboard assistant to DQ's defensive play-calling. 

The following coaches need pink slips at the end of the season: OC, Steve Sarkisian, DL Coach, Bryant Young, Run Game Coordinator/OL Coach, Chris Morgan, Asst. OL Coach, Kyle Flood, Special Teams Coordinator, Keith Armstrong. I'm giving the Secondary and LB coaches a pass because of injuries this season. I don't think you can get anything more out of the Duke Rileys, the Bruce Carters, the Sharrod Neasmans or the Jordan Richards on the squad. 

We need new blood at OC, ST, and OL. That's just how I see it. 

On 11/24/2018 at 1:03 PM, Cheap Talk said:

I think Quinn has a lot of positives you want in a HC, but I have often said that I just don't think he's the brightest bulb in the box.

In fact, I've called him "mouth-breather" and "paste-eater" from time to time. 

My hope has always been that he surrounds himself with very smart and competent coordinators and position coaches, and he concentrates on motivation and maintaining the locker-room.

Unfortunately with a defensive coach handling the receivers, Manuel and  Armstrong being borderline incompetent, a DL coach who specializes in regression, and a very inexperienced OC who struggles making adjustments; I think his staff is doing him no favors.