mqg96

PFF: Vic Beasley ranks last among 106 edge defenders this season

185 posts in this topic

"Thursday night was another game to forget for the Falcons and their piddling pass rush. Atlanta only got one sack and three hits on Drew Brees, and defensive end Vic Beasley was once again a non-factor.

According to Pro Football Focus, Beasley missed two of his three tackle attempts and ranks last out of 106 edge defenders this season

•  OLB Vic Beasley’s struggles continued in New Orleans, as he missed two of three attempted tackles and failed to force a single pressure on 17 pass rush attempts. His 38.2 overall grade this season is by far the lowest among 106 edge defenders.

Yikes.

Part of Beasley’s issue is that he hasn’t developed enough pass rush moves to consistently win his matchups on the edge. If he can’t beat the tackle with speed, he often gets swallowed up.

Beasley still has the physical abilities to be a Pro Bowl defensive end. He proved that much in the 2016 season, outlier though it may have been. At this point, it’s all between the ears. If Beasley is going to reach his potential again, he may need a change of scenery. The Falcons should see what they can get for him this offseason."

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/24/pff-vic-beasley-ranks-last-among-106-edge-defenders-this-season/

vitaman likes this

Cut that dude. DO NOT give him a new contract. ****, trade him if someone’s dumb enough to offer picks. Dude is a waste at this point. Let’s just move on. 

GreggT likes this

19 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

So how would we say the DL coach Young has done vs Cox?

Not Just with Beasley but everyone?

Beasley and Young  both should be gone.

No one is getting pressure, not Vic, not Takk, not even Bruce Irvin. It isn't the players as much as this defense is completely ineffective and has been for 5 years. 

Everyone was deceived last year into thinking this was a top 10 unit when they have never gotten over 26 DVOA during Quinn's time.

17 minutes ago, Jesus said:

No one is getting pressure, not Vic, not Takk, not even Bruce Irvin. It isn't the players as much as this defense is completely ineffective and has been for 5 years. 

Everyone was deceived last year into thinking this was a top 10 unit when they have never gotten over 26 DVOA during Quinn's time.

Unfortunately I fell into that trap too. However, losing Poe, Clayborn, and Upshaw along with the injuries to Neal, Alford, and Debo don't help at all. You've lost half of your main starters from last season along with the injuries this year. Even with all of our guys last year we were still in the bottom half of the league in yards per play and takeaways. We still let Tyrod Taylor and Jay Cutler beat us too. 

Stryka and Halcon-1 like this

54 minutes ago, Jesus said:

DVOA annoys me. Yes, I understand it intricately. It serves a purpose, but so does good ole fashion raw statistics. Its primary purpose in being is to support gambling. Whether it is better than good ole fashion raw statistics at ranking football units (offense, defense, etc.) is very much open to debate. We all cherry pick the stats that serves our purposes in a given conversation. They are all correct...and all are pretty useless in a vacuum. You have to know the context and the specific question you are trying to answer. 

All of that said, roll the film. If you can't tell the difference between last year's defense and this year's, stats can't help. Ask the Rams how they felt about last year's defense...or the Eagles for that matter. If you ask me, raw stats better pass the eye test in comparing last year's defense to this year's. DVOA says they are very similar. The eye test laughs. This year's defense just plain lacks the talent needed to shut the door in the redzone and on key possession 3rd downs that last year's unit possessed.  Can you stand up on the five key snaps in a ball game?  DVOA can't help you with that question. 

2 minutes ago, FalconinPA said:

I agree, the whole defensive line is jacked up,  but at least Kazee is leading the league in picks. At least he is good at something. 

I love Kazee, but his 6 interceptions have been at the cost of many big plays that should have been prevented. Getting Ricardo back next year will be nice and Kazee can be platooned as needed.

I can't help but feel this is a coaching problem. It's either that or maybe he just doesn't have the drive. A 1 trick pony will only get you so far unless your name is Randy Moss. Either he lacks the drive to get better, or the coaching is bad. Maybe it's both. 

vitaman and mqg96 like this

The only legit stud we have is Grady. I still think Takk can be a solid #2 rusher but this line is lacking in high end talent. This has been an issue for a good while. It’s not a coincidence that the Falcons always field either terrible or mediocre defensive lines every year. 

PokerSteve likes this

5 minutes ago, Monoxide said:

I love Kazee, but his 6 interceptions have been at the cost of many big plays that should have been prevented. Getting Ricardo back next year will be nice and Kazee can be platooned as needed.

Yep, waiting for Ricardo's return next year. Should be fun

me4falcons and Ergo Proxy like this

Beasley is terrible in this system. Perhaps he could do something better in a different D where the scheme put him in different situations. That's debatable. 

What's not debatable is that in this system he's not good at anything. He doesn't consistently pressure the QB. He doesn't get sacks. He doesn't tackle well. 

I don't need PFF to tell me that. Anyone who is at the game can watch him and see how bad he is. 

4 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Beasley is terrible in this system. Perhaps he could do something better in a different D where the scheme put him in different situations. That's debatable. 

What's not debatable is that in this system he's not good at anything. He doesn't consistently pressure the QB. He doesn't get sacks. He doesn't tackle well. 

I don't need PFF to tell me that. Anyone who is at the game can watch him and see how bad he is. 

The defensive system where his physical ability and talents would possibly work is a true 3-4 with Vic at OLB on Passing Downs/in Pass Push mode only. He is a huge liability in the run game. He would benefit greatly if the other OLB was pass rusher, and he would have to be next to a stud 3-4 DE that can draw a lot attention, and ideally Vic would need to rush v. the TEs to have any decent pass rush stats. And that's on the days, and passing downs, where he cares to try.

31 minutes ago, falcndave said:

DVOA annoys me. Yes, I understand it intricately. It serves a purpose, but so does good ole fashion raw statistics. Its primary purpose in being is to support gambling. Whether it is better than good ole fashion raw statistics at ranking football units (offense, defense, etc.) is very much open to debate. We all cherry pick the stats that serves our purposes in a given conversation. They are all correct...and all are pretty useless in a vacuum. You have to know the context and the specific question you are trying to answer. 

All of that said, roll the film. If you can't tell the difference between last year's defense and this year's, stats can't help. Ask the Rams how they felt about last year's defense...or the Eagles for that matter. If you ask me, raw stats better pass the eye test in comparing last year's defense to this year's. DVOA says they are very similar. The eye test laughs. This year's defense just plain lacks the talent needed to shut the door in the redzone and on key possession 3rd downs that last year's unit possessed.  Can you stand up on the five key snaps in a ball game?  DVOA can't help you with that question. 

The falcons can get up for one game or so a year. They were well prepared for the Rams and Philly, but why not every other game? Why do they prepare just some times and others looked like it's their first game?