Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Even Bleed Red

My observations from watching the game live

73 posts in this topic

1. I had a good time @ the superdome. I recommend every Falcon fan should go, most ppl were welcoming. The Superdome feels a lot different than the new stadium in Atl. It doesn't feel like home field advance there. The Saints even poked fun of that fact when they put up the Atl soccer team having more sold out seats in there than when the Falcons play at "home". I believe the new stadium is a bad thing that happened to this team because the old GA dome was just as electric as the Superdome currently is. 

2. I think all of our problems can be summed up in 2 categories: "more of a coaching problem vs more of a player/personnel problem" 

This team is summed up in 2 quotes:

"They could run the ball, we couldn't; they could stop the run, we couldn't" -Arthur Blank 

"We protected our QB, they didn't" - Mike Tomlin, Steelers HC. 

Good to hear Mr. Blank recognize this out loud. I believe comments directly from Mr. Blank is the reason Mr. Quinn is now making changes @ the OL. When it comes to THIS aspect of the game, it's not coaching or scheming, the OL simply doesn't have the players. This team is grossly undermanned in the trenches, this has been a problem since TD has been here. And it's not like he hasn't tried to fix it, he has; and that's the scary part. This is more of a personnel issue. 

On the contrary, Saints are have very good OL, especially @ guard. 

3. On the DL, I saw many of our D-Linemen, including Vic, just run into the wall that was the Saints OL.

Where was Bruce Irvin? I'm not sure if this is a coaching issue or a player issue. Either way the middle of the DL is very weak, DT is more of a need that I though. Our LBs are not very good but I liked Oluokun.

4. The Saint's did nothing fancy. They lined up and ran the ball up the middle. They ran vertical routes on passing downs, no fancy route combos, and their receivers made h3ll of plays. On defense, they had a 4 man rush, that kept getting there; see #2. 

5. Saints could've scored more points if they wanted, the game was not as close as the score board predicted, it was complete domination the whole time from what I saw. 

6. Unlike, OL play, tackling IS a coaching issues. Duke Riley missed a couple. Tackling is solely on Mr. Quinn and his staff from what I saw. We had players who were in position but they lacked the fundamentals to finish. 

7. The Alabama receivers (Julio and Ridley) are not as good as advertised. Sanu is more important to this team than people think. 

8. Trufant had a good game, still has had a bad season. Him struggling is mix of both coaching and him not being as good as before. Kazee is legit, this is a personnel "thing". 

9. I still have no clue on where I stand on Manuel and Sarkisian but for continuity sake, they'll be here next yr. DQ will be given a pass for injuries. But I truly think this goes beyond just injuries. Preseason showed us this team lacked depth and is poorly coached. 

10. This is gonna upset people, Ryan is very inconsistent. Before you fry me, I'm a Ryan fan but this is my observation. 

On some plays, he made amazing throws, splitting double coverage. On some plays he had receivers open down the field and he didn't even look their way. On some downs, he scrambled and did an amazing job extending plays down the field, then on some downs, he over threw wide open receivers. This is counting for the fact that he plays behind a bad OL that not only doesn't help him, but makes things worse for him! Even with that, on Thrus night, he was a weird, polarizing mix of elite vs pathetic on any given play and it's hard to know what you're getting that play or why. He's inconsistent and that's hard to win deep into playoffs with, imho.

Nice report brother. Missing on all those lineman in the past has really hurt this team.

We are also missing our sure tacklers in jones, neal and rico although kazee is playing well enough. 

Those 3 guys elevate our defense more than people think.

I use to thinks were finesse but they are physical now . I think you have to be that now  

Chiefs might prove that theory wrong though.

I Even Bleed Red likes this

54 minutes ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

1. I had a good time @ the superdome. I recommend every Falcon fan should go, most ppl were welcoming. The Superdome feels a lot different than the new stadium in Atl. It doesn't feel like home field advance there. The Saints even poked fun of that fact when they put up the Atl soccer team having more sold out seats in there than when the Falcons play at "home". I believe the new stadium is a bad thing that happened to this team because the old GA dome was just as electric as the Superdome currently is. 

2. I think all of our problems can be summed up in 2 categories: "more of a coaching problem vs more of a player/personnel problem" 

"They could run the ball, we couldn't; they could stop the run, we couldn't" -Arthur Blank 

Good to hear Mr. Blank recognize this out loud. I believe comments directly from Mr. Blank is the reason Mr. Quinn is now making changes @ the OL. When it comes to THIS aspect of the game, it's not coaching or scheming, the OL simply doesn't have the players. This team is grossly undermanned in the trenches, this has been a problem since TD has been here. And it's not like he hasn't tried to fix it, he has; and that's the scary part. This is more of a personnel issue. 

3. On the DL, I saw many of our D-Linemen, including Vic, just run into the wall that was the Saints OL.

Where was Bruce Irvin? I'm not sure if this is a coaching issue or a player issue. Either way the middle of the DL is very weak, DT is more of a need that I though. Our LBs are not very good but I liked Oluokun.

4. The Saint's did nothing fancy. They lined up and ran the ball up the middle. They ran vertical routes on passing downs, no fancy route combos, and their receivers made h3ll of plays. On defense, they had a 4 man rush, that kept getting there; see #2. 

5. Saints could've scored more points if they wanted, the game was not as close as the score board predicted, it was complete domination the whole time from what I saw. 

6. Unlike, OL play, tackling IS a coaching issues. Duke Riley missed a couple. Tackling is solely on Mr. Quinn and his staff from what I saw. We had players who were in position but they lacked the fundamentals to finish. 

7. The Alabama receivers (Julio and Ridley) are not as good as advertised. Sanu is more important to this team than people think. 

8. Trufant had a good game, still has had a bad season. Him struggling is mix of both coaching and him not being as good as before. Kazee is legit, this is a personnel "thing". 

9. I still have no clue on where I stand on Manuel and Sarkisian but for continuity sake, they'll be here next yr. DQ will be given a pass for injuries. But I truly think this goes beyond just injuries. Preseason showed us this team lacked depth and is poorly coached. 

10. This is gonna upset people, Ryan is very inconsistent. Before you fry me, I'm a Ryan fan but this is my observation. 

On some plays, he made amazing throws, splitting double coverage. On some plays he had receivers open down the field and he didn't even look their way. On some downs, he scrambled and did an amazing job extending plays down the field, then on some downs, he over threw wide open receivers. This is counting for the fact that he plays behind a bad OL that not only doesn't help him, but makes things worse for him! Even with that, on Thrus night, he was a weird, polarizing mix of elite vs pathetic on any given play and it's hard to know what you're getting that play or why. He's inconsistent and that's hard to win deep into playoffs with, imho.

In short, we are 2-3 years in solidifying the glaring weaknesses you mentioned and we all have been seeing as well.

Its remarkable, how average fans seem to all point out same issues over an over again and NOTHING happens onngame day.

I wanna  WTF happened to this team AFTER Julios 1St TOUCHDOWN in Washington??!!

Everything,  went downhill from that point....

These guys dont give a **** playing sloppy ball and getting embarrassed on national television vs arched rival.

PokerSteve likes this

it was evident there was going to be a problem with the interior of the dline since the start of the offseason.  That’s usually what happens when you lose 3 guys on the dline and replace them with a 3rd round rookie.

Some of us wanted them to trade for Bennet AND double dip in the draft and build depth in the trenches.

They took a WR and CB.  Ridley may be a good player but it wasn’t what the team needed and the results speak for themselves.

If everyone had stayed healthy this team wasn’t going to be as good as people thought.  The offense is terrible on the road and the defense wasn’t going to be anywhere close to what people thought especially with the up and down play from the corners.  How many ints do the corners have combined?

PokerSteve and ZoneOne01 like this

This is a great report and I for one appreciate you just telling it like it is, no excuses, no sugar-coating. Mattie Ice had a very disappointing game. He has had similar games before and even with a better OL he's going to have more of them. He looks to have slipped into the frustrated funk the rest of the team is mired in.

The Atlanta Falcons are not close to being a competitive team at the moment. With the current coaching staff, the cap and contract situation, next year is not going to be a whole lot better. Hopefully there will be some OL and DL in the draft we can grab and start slowly climbing back up out of the Bottom-Feeder Zone one more time.

Glad you had a good time.  It's always fun for me there.  Other than a little good natured ribbing,  I've never been harrased or bothered in or out of the stadium,  regardless of the outcome.   I don't think I can say the same when their fans show up.   Their team may be good or bad, but they sure know how to throw a party, and they seem to welcome everyone to it.  

56 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

it was evident there was going to be a problem with the interior of the dline since the start of the offseason.  That’s usually what happens when you lose 3 guys on the dline and replace them with a 3rd round rookie.

Some of us wanted them to trade for Bennet AND double dip in the draft and build depth in the trenches.

They took a WR and CB.  Ridley may be a good player but it wasn’t what the team needed and the results speak for themselves.

If everyone had stayed healthy this team wasn’t going to be as good as people thought.  The offense is terrible on the road and the defense wasn’t going to be anywhere close to what people thought especially with the up and down play from the corners.  How many ints do the corners have combined?

Which players after but within say 10 picks or so of Ridley and Oliver would have been a better pick? And don't say Edmunds or Chubb because we were not drafting that position that high.

Darius Leonard is probably the obvious choice.

vitaman likes this

2 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

did nothing fancy. They lined up and ran the ball up the middle. They ran vertical routes on passing downs, no fancy route combos, and their receivers made h3ll of plays. On defense, they had a 4 man rush, that kept getting there; see #2. 

Yeah we didn't need Senat in there to stop the run game up the middle. 

1 hour ago, PokerSteve said:

This is a great report and I for one appreciate you just telling it like it is, no excuses, no sugar-coating. Mattie Ice had a very disappointing game. He has had similar games before and even with a better OL he's going to have more of them. He looks to have slipped into the frustrated funk the rest of the team is mired in.

The Atlanta Falcons are not close to being a competitive team at the moment. With the current coaching staff, the cap and contract situation, next year is not going to be a whole lot better. Hopefully there will be some OL and DL in the draft we can grab and start slowly climbing back up out of the Bottom-Feeder Zone one more time.

Good post

PokerSteve likes this

2 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

5. Saints could've scored more points if they wanted - This is what I saw as well. Peyton lost all the determination in his face by the second Q and relaxed. I actually felt he realized we couldn't do anything and gave us mercy, which is weird..

7. The Alabama receivers (Julio and Ridley) are not as good as advertised. Sanu is more important to this team than people think. - I'll agree Mo is much more important than people admit.

10. This is gonna upset people, Ryan is very inconsistent. Before you fry me, I'm a Ryan fan but this is my observation. - When you have fast/good LBs and a pass rush, Ryan struggles. The LBs seem to be the key, look at how we beat the Panthers without Luke but with him it goes down to the wire. He's inconsistent in games with fast/good lbs and a pass rush because he starts deciding where he's going before the snap, knowing he won't have time to survey the field. He doesn't have confidence in his downfield game IMO

my additions to these points above.

3 hours ago, I Even Bleed Red said:

Great post 

I Even Bleed Red likes this

1 hour ago, quotemokc said:

Which players after but within say 10 picks or so of Ridley and Oliver would have been a better pick? And don't say Edmunds or Chubb because we were not drafting that position that high.

Darius Leonard is probably the obvious choice.

What would have better long term for the team based on need....DL maybe?

Considering the team has only 4 wins I’m thinking the team wouldn’t have fared much worse.  

5 minutes ago, stizz said:

Good report, but I don't think Blank has ever stayed status quo after a disappointing year. One or both of the coordinators will be gone.

I hope you are right. Blank needs to send a message to someone to left them know that this type of play and failure will not be tolerated. I know we have had big injuries, but that is not an excuse for this mess.

PokerSteve likes this

2 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

In short, we are 2-3 years in solidifying the glaring weaknesses you mentioned and we all have been seeing as well.

Its remarkable, how average fans seem to all point out same issues over an over again and NOTHING happens onngame day.

These guys dont give a **** playing sloppy ball and getting embarrassed on national television vs arched rival.

Makes you think, maybe fans DO know something about football to! B)

PokerSteve likes this

I like how people still defend Sark and yet Sark hasn't called a good game since the Redskins game.  Matt Ryan missing wide open receivers has to do with his trust in the playcalling and where to look for his reads.  

NCFalconfan and me4falcons like this

10 hours ago, red falcon said:

Nice report brother. Missing on all those lineman in the past has really hurt this team.

We are also missing our sure tacklers in jones, neal and rico although kazee is playing well enough. 

Those 3 guys elevate our defense more than people think.

I use to thinks were finesse but they are physical now . I think you have to be that now  

Chiefs might prove that theory wrong though.

9 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

7 hours ago, UGABOZ said:

Great post 

7 hours ago, falconfreek123 said:

Good stuff man, I think you nailed it,

But why on Gods green earth cant the coaches see it? Too much faith in the fat imbecility up front.

7 hours ago, stizz said:

Good report, but I don't think Blank has ever stayed status quo after a disappointing year. One or both of the coordinators will be gone.

Hey! Thanks guys! 

PokerSteve and Lowndesfalc like this

7 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

What would have better long term for the team based on need....DL maybe?

Considering the team has only 4 wins I’m thinking the team wouldn’t have fared much worse.  

Once again, who was there? 

I was with you red until you said “the Alabama receivers (Julio and Ridley) are not as good as advertised”. Ridley had a ‘rookie-mistake’ like game, but overall he’s had a nice season and is gonna be real good in a couple years. 

SMH at you even implying Julio’s not as good as advertised. 

Just now, Vandy said:

I was with you red until you said “the Alabama receivers (Julio and Ridley) are not as good as advertised”. 

Yep great post but definitely didn’t like that part!

Vandy likes this

7 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

I like how people still defend Sark and yet Sark hasn't called a good game since the Redskins game.  Matt Ryan missing wide open receivers has to do with his trust in the playcalling and where to look for his reads.  

Sark’s playcalling has definitely been questionable the last few games. The entire coaching staff seems disheveled right now. 

10 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

That loss to the Browns broke this team. I really thought we were going all the way after that Washington game.

PokerSteve, Lowndesfalc and Vandy like this