Should Quinn Quit Now or Still Try to Win in 2018?

jlrfalcon

We are 4-7 now with 9-7 as our best hope and a possible but unlikely record for the playoffs.

As outsiders, we can proclaim that the season is over and look at the rest of this year as essentially a preseason for 2019 to evaluate youngsters or try new options.  However, looking from Dan Quinn's perspective, how should we expect him to treat the next 5 games?

Should he even bother trying to bring back Deion Jones this year or get him fully healed for 2019?

Should he even play Matt Ryan more than maybe 2-3 quarters a game just to keep his play up?

Would playing Matt Ryan at all be smart with experimental OL's given the risk of injury to him?

Would multiple losses actually instill a sense of losing is acceptable across the team?

Would losses be more beneficial to the team in the draft order?

Can he expect any FA's to possibly want to come to a team with a losing record?

Would he be hurting his own respectability and chances of being hired in the future with a losing season?

Can he count on a rebound next year as another losing year in 2019 might be the end of his job?

Does he think the Falcon fan base and local media would put up with 4 or 5 more losses this year?

Does he care about anybody's opinion of his team management other than the owner?

Would finishing 9-7 and then not making the playoffs by 1 game or so actually be more irritating to players, fans?

Is it too soon for Dan Quinn to give up on 2018, has he already given up on it, or should he wait another few weeks?

I'm always on board the tank train when the playoffs are a pipe dream. There is no value in being 8-8. None. You just flounder in no man's land hoping to catch some breaks. I said tank this thing after the Steelers game. This is the same team. Beating the Giants and Bucs were fool's gold wins. Even beating the Washington team was just a show of how talented this team can be but the Browns and Cowboys games showed just how mentally weak they are. 

Get a top ten pick. Go get a stud we otherwise shouldn't have a chance at drafting without moving up. Revamp the roster. Cut some dead weight. Reuse that cap space, something we've not had a ton of under DQ until now. Right now, your top ten highest paid players in 2019 are:

Ryan
Trufant
Julio
Vic
Jake
Mack
Alford
Schraeder
Sanu
Freeman

That can use some major adjusting. Cutting Alford and Vic opens up $21MM alone. Cut Schraeder and Reed and that's another $8.5MM. There is too much dead weight on this team and it needs to be addressed. Garland, while admirable, isn't an OG. Revamp the right side of the OL and reap the benefits. Then just pour resources into the defense until it's sickening. 

29 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

We are 4-7 now with 9-7 as our best hope and a possible but unlikely record for the playoffs.

As outsiders, we can proclaim that the season is over and look at the rest of this year as essentially a preseason for 2019 to evaluate youngsters or try new options.  However, looking from Dan Quinn's perspective, how should we expect him to treat the next 5 games?

Should he even bother trying to bring back Deion Jones this year or get him fully healed for 2019?

Should he even play Matt Ryan more than maybe 2-3 quarters a game just to keep his play up?

Would playing Matt Ryan at all be smart with experimental OL's given the risk of injury to him?

Would multiple losses actually instill a sense of losing is acceptable across the team?

Would he be hurting his own respectability and chances of being hired in the future with a losing season?

Can he count on a rebound next year as another losing year in 2019 might be the end of his job?

Does he think the Falcon fan base and local media would put up with 4 or 5 more losses this year?

Does he care about anybody's opinion of his team management other than the owner?

Would finishing 9-7 and then not making the playoffs by 1 game or so actually be more irritating to players, fans?

Is it too soon for Dan Quinn to give up on 2018, has he already given up on it, or should he wait another few weeks?

9-7 or 8-8 or 7-9 no playoffs and a lost chance of a good draft pick would be frustrating

9 minutes ago, vel said:

I'm always on board the tank train when the playoffs are a pipe dream. There is no value in being 8-8. None. You just flounder in no man's land hoping to catch some breaks. I said tank this thing after the Steelers game. This is the same team. Beating the Giants and Bucs were fool's gold wins. Even beating the Washington team was just a show of how talented this team can be but the Browns and Cowboys games showed just how mentally weak they are. 

Get a top ten pick. Go get a stud we otherwise shouldn't have a chance at drafting without moving up. Revamp the roster. Cut some dead weight. Reuse that cap space, something we've not had a ton of under DQ until now. Right now, your top ten highest paid players in 2019 are:

Ryan
Trufant
Julio
Vic
Jake
Mack
Alford
Schraeder
Sanu
Freeman

That can use some major adjusting. Cutting Alford and Vic opens up $21MM alone. Cut Schraeder and Reed and that's another $8.5MM. There is too much dead weight on this team and it needs to be addressed. Garland, while admirable, isn't an OG. Revamp the right side of the OL and reap the benefits. Then just pour resources into the defense until it's sickening. 

Preach! Thin the herd! No Sacred Cows!! 

17 minutes ago, vel said:

Ryan
Trufant
Julio
Vic
Jake
Mack
Alford
Schraeder
Sanu
Freeman

Garland has been better than Wes and Fusco this year. I would wait till end of the year to see who can be a reliable backup.

1 hour ago, jlrfalcon said:

I think he gave up by not playing Deion. Perhaps Dan realized we aren't a contender this year 

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

He’s going to treat the rest of the season like preseason and evaluate players.

Speaking of which I think that approach should change because they’re not doing a great job of it.

Take preseason as a chance to get players ready for the season.

This! 

59 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Preach! Thin the herd! No Sacred Cows!! 

PokerSteve has all the right names highlighted. I might even wait a year on Tru until we bring another CB up to speed.

I would keep Sanu. Heck, tell him to put on some weight because he's going to OL next year. He has the attitude we need on this team.

16 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

PokerSteve has all the right names highlighted. I might even wait a year on Tru until we bring another CB up to speed.

I would keep Sanu. Heck, tell him to put on some weight because he's going to OL next year. He has the attitude we need on this team.

We haven’t had attitude on the Oline since Dahl and McClure.

15 minutes ago, Dirty South Bird said:

We haven’t had attitude on the Oline since Dahl and McClure.

You got that right. I wish we had a couple of OL so nasty that we would get one or two unnecessary roughness calls a game on the OL. hahaha Either bouncing someone that gets a little over zealous against our QB or continuing to put someone on skates after the whistle. I haven't actually focused on any individual on our OL since Dahl left. Other times, you don't have to focus to see which DL is in our backfield more than MR and Teco combined (last night for example).

Bring home an OLman, TD.