Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sandy5prings

Maybe the O-Line shouldn't get all the blame?

26 posts in this topic

Former NFL OL Geoff Schwartz has made some insightful comments on the Falcons O the last few weeks. He had this to say last night:

Look, we all saw Schraeder, Schweitzer and Garland get beat one on one again and again. But the Aints also kept bringing extra men at just the right time and it was clear that they knew what play was coming every single time. Remember all those Eagles defenders saying that they knew what plays were coming? The Browns defenders were saying similar things.

When we don't have All Pros on the OL, scheming and disguising is key. Kyle Shanny was called a lot of things but no one called his plays predictable. 

I say Fire Sark and get an OC who is creative and unpredictable. 

1 minute ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Yay lets fire an oc every 2-3 years and never let Matt Ryan have continuity with one.

BRILLIANT

But it fixes everything.. fire this guy, fire that guy.. gotta wonder where some of these people work.. 

Let's solve the OL problem first, then worry about getting creative.  I don't believe for a moment that the Saints knew which plays we were going to run.  

We could not run the ball (as usual) and we could not protect the QB (as usual). 

On the other side of the ball, we could not get to the QB (as usual) and we could not stop the run (as usual).  

Not really a recipe for success.  

vitaman, Falcons_Frenzy and Geneaut like this

Sark is not a good OC.  He is lost and thinks this is college where when you have superior talent at a position you should win that battle.  The NFL is so much further evolved than that.  If Matt could have a really NFL caliber OC that understands his and the offenses strengths and weaknesses, Ryan would have multiple rings.  At this rate he will be lucky to get one.

mqg96 and PokerSteve like this

17 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Let's solve the OL problem first, then worry about getting creative.  I don't believe for a moment that the Saints knew which plays we were going to run.  

We could not run the ball (as usual) and we could not protect the QB (as usual). 

On the other side of the ball, we could not get to the QB (as usual) and we could not stop the run (as usual).  

Not really a recipe for success.  

So true. Yet year after year it never changes. I don't get it.

Where are all those folks  giving Greg Knapp credit for our offensive production earlier in the season?  Of course, when the offense comes back down to earth, there is no mention of him to be found.  

Play predictably is overrated and overused in describing a play.  When there circumstances presented itself, even Shanahan was predictable.  When he couldn't use the run game to set up his ground game, he became predictable and one-dimensional.  Think back to our game against the Eagles in 2016.  The same concept makes you more predictable when your team is behind and forced to abandon the run.  People need to go back and watch some film from 2016 because Shanahan was not perfect every week.  
Also, unpredictable plays does not guarantee success

DMT11 likes this

39 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Yay lets fire an oc every 2-3 years and never let Matt Ryan have continuity with one.

BRILLIANT

#BringBackKoetter

At this point, the continuation of Sark is more appealing to me than starting with another OC...with the exception of Gary Kubiak. If the Falcons were to be bold by going after Kubiak, I would support the heck out of that. He ran the ZBS at both Denver and Houston too, so it wouldn't be like the Falcons were reinventing the wheel.

Kubiak would be a good guy for Quinn to learn from, too.

Kubiak>>>>>>>>Quinn

1 minute ago, GhostofGritz said:

At this point, the continuation of Sark is more appealing to me than starting with another OC...with the exception of Gary Kubiak. If the Falcons were to be bold by going after Kubiak, I would support the heck out of that. He ran the ZBS at both Denver and Houston too, so it wouldn't be like the Falcons were reinventing the wheel.

Kubiak>>>>>>>>Quinn

Kubiak has always been on my list.

GhostofGritz likes this

4 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

Kubiak>>>>>>>>Quinn

Well, ole Kubiak was definitely given time.. 

45 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

Sark is not a good OC.  He is lost and thinks this is college where when you have superior talent at a position you should win that battle.  The NFL is so much further evolved than that.  If Matt could have a really NFL caliber OC that understands his and the offenses strengths and weaknesses, Ryan would have multiple rings.  At this rate he will be lucky to get one.

We cant fully evaluate Sark as a play caller when the OL is getting beat like a drum. We have zero run game. I dont care how creative you want to be. If you cant run the ball effectively then you become predictable and your play book becomes limited

PokerSteve likes this

16 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

We cant fully evaluate Sark as a play caller when the OL is getting beat like a drum. We have zero run game. I dont care how creative you want to be. If you cant run the ball effectively then you become predictable and your play book becomes limited

It’s not about creativity.  Teams are sitting on our outside zone and he refuses to adapt.  When he has transitioned to a more inside power game, which we have in the playbook, the run game has opened up.  He just needs to run the power down and distance plays to attack the defense.

1 hour ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

BRILLIANT

Sorry man, this guy is no OC.

In the NFL, you get to course correct once a year. OCs don't grow on trees and any OC or coach that's available mid-year is probably on the market for a reason. I get it, firing Sark is a risk, But not firing him is also a risk. It's easier to switch OCs than it is to revamp your OL when your salary cap is tight and you have more young stars to pay the next couple of years - Grady, DeBo, Keanu etc. 

3 hours ago, Sandy5prings said:

Former NFL OL Geoff Schwartz has made some insightful comments on the Falcons O the last few weeks. He had this to say last night:

Look, we all saw Schraeder, Schweitzer and Garland get beat one on one again and again. But the Aints also kept bringing extra men at just the right time and it was clear that they knew what play was coming every single time. Remember all those Eagles defenders saying that they knew what plays were coming? The Browns defenders were saying similar things.

When we don't have All Pros on the OL, scheming and disguising is key. Kyle Shanny was called a lot of things but no one called his plays predictable. 

I say Fire Sark and get an OC who is creative and unpredictable. 

Yes they did call Kyles plays predictable. After the 20-10 loss to Minnesota in 2015 the Vikings defense said very similar things.

Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Yes they did call Kyles plays predictable. After the 20-10 loss to Minnesota in 2015 the Vikings defense said very similar things.

2015 was Kyle's first year. No one said that in 2016. This is Sark's second year.