Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcon Freddie

We Saw This Season Coming

21 posts in this topic

The Falcons preseason record for 2018 ended on August 30 at 0-4. Preseason games are usually dismissed as "meaningless," but I thought at the time this record was an evil omen. The Falcons lost these four preseason games by an average spread of 17.5 points; the worst being a 34-7 trouncing by Miami (currently 5-5,) which was hardly seen as a powerhouse at the beginning of the season. It may have happened, but I strongly doubt there are many teams who went winless in the preseason that went on to do well in the regular season.

Well, the Falcons are now 4-7 in the season. I see them finishing 2018 no better than 6-10 and that's probably wildly optimistic. We have receivers who don't, rushers who don't, blockers who don't, and a quarterback who has a good day if he's sacked less than six times. And the worst specter is the real possibility of seeing in February the New Orleans Saints winning for a second time a Super Bowl, this time in the Falcons own stadium.

KRUNKuno, mqg96 and Drbob like this

If it gets you through the day who am I to complain ? Hindsight being what it is maybe our preseason should have clued us in a little, but I'd counter that until the last few weeks we had at least been competitive even with our injuries. I'm not sure looking at the preseason results tells the entire tale of this season.

3 minutes ago, Falcon Freddie said:

The Falcons preseason record for 2018 ended on August 30 at 0-4. Preseason games are usually dismissed as "meaningless," but I thought at the time this record was an evil omen. The Falcons lost these four preseason games by an average spread of 17.5 points; the worst being a 34-7 trouncing by Miami (currently 5-5,) which was hardly seen as a powerhouse at the beginning of the season. It may have happened, but I strongly doubt there are many teams who went winless in the preseason that went on to do well in the regular season.

Well, the Falcons are now 4-7 in the season. I see them finishing 2018 no better than 6-10 and that's probably wildly optimistic. We have receivers who don't, rushers who don't, blockers who don't, and a quarterback who has a good day if he's sacked less than six times. And the worst specter is the real possibility of seeing in February the New Orleans Saints winning for a second time a Super Bowl, this time in the Falcons own stadium.

Exactly my feelings! Pre-season matters.

21 minutes ago, Falcon Freddie said:

@KRUNKuno and I have preached this all season long. In fact, an 0-4 preseason Falcons team has never won the division either. The 1998 and 2016 Falcons were 2-2 and 3-1 in the preseason. Preseason matters because of your depth and coaching. The Saints were very successful in the preseason this year and last season. The Saints went 0-4 in 2015 and 2016 and they were mediocre 7-9 both of those years. 

ZoneOne01 and KRUNKuno like this

My thoughts on preseason are mixed. There's a balance between going 'all out' to win in preseason, and keeping things easy so as to not put the team on the best footing to start the season.

Glanville liked winning in preseason but it never really seemed to make a big difference in the real season. Anyone remember Miller throwing a bomb on the first play in the Ga Dome that preseason? 

DQ obviously doesn't put a lot of stock in it, but here we are. I mean I like some of his ideas about keeping some starters protected, and churning the back end of the roster to identify some game talent, but then you get games like the Eagles this season where the team looks lost.

There's a sweet spot somewhere in between. The trick is that every team may need a different preseason routine based on their particular makeup, and it is the job of the HC to identify that. DQ guessed wrong this season.

Edited by Geneaut

Our offensive line and running backs don’t block well. It’s very simple. It’s embarrassing how bad our team blocks. 

Edited by thestreetzputon

If you saw this season coming why not give us the Mega millions or Powerball numbers while you're at it smart ***. Especially when both those respective jackpots were over or near a billion dollars.

18 minutes ago, Macknsweetjones said:

So we saw all these injuries in preseason? No we didn’t 

I did... Especially when Dan Quinn elected not to play a lot of those starters and those same starters he didn't play are the same starters who are injured.. Yeah i saw it coming

I'd say that the preseason record is just a coincidence. We heavily played a bunch of depth guy's (which as it turned out, was a smart move despite most of those guys not sticking). Dallas was 0-4 and might be heading towards winning the division and Seattle was as well and are still in the hunt.

If anyone feels the lack of playing time factored into injuries I'd disagree. The starters who were injured all got pretty decent snap counts outside of Deion Jones and Freeman. And then you look at a team like the Bears who held out all their key players for the most part and are 8-3.

Vandy likes this

Only one Superbowl winner in the last 50 years went 0-4 in the preseason (1982-83 Redskins).

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/nfl-preseason-records-do-they-matter-yes-no/

One of the biggest problems with this team is it does not show a true desire to win and having a preseason where nobody, not even the backups, care about winning certainly has an impact.

And, how often do you see Quinn ever show any emotion on the sideline about a bad playcall or a player making a good or great play.  The guy just stands there like a statue.  How can one as a player be motivated by that?

mqg96 likes this

I don’t know about the record.

However the whole evaluating players at the expense of preparing for the season has been a mistake.

If they spent more time prepping maybe they come out of the gate crisper against the Eagles and win that game.  If they’re playing better maybe defensive players aren’t on the field as long... If ifs and butts were candy and nuts...

And as for player evaluations.  Clearly there’s a problem there too.

Whatever Quinn has been doing in preseason it hasn’t been working.

34 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You forsaw 3 of our 4 most important defensive players and our #1 RB all being lost to season-ending injuries before season really even got rolling?

Sure you did. 

With or without injuries, this team was NOT a Super Bowl contender this year with this poor coaching staff and the lack of solid depth. No injuries just means we're good enough to get in the playoffs at maybe 10-6 again just like last season. We were talking Super Bowl in Atlanta throughout the whole off season. Without the injures, we're still not better than the Saints, Bears, or Rams. Deion Jones is the only major guy from our D-line who's been out all year, but the rest of the D-line has been poor. 

Vandy likes this

19 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Only one Superbowl winner in the last 50 years went 0-4 in the preseason (1982-83 Redskins).

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/nfl-preseason-records-do-they-matter-yes-no/

and that was in a strikeout year too :lol:

so no 0-4 preseason team has won the Super Bowl in a full game season. More 0-4 preseason teams have missed the playoffs than 2-2 or 3-1 teams. 

3 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

With or without injuries, this team was NOT a Super Bowl contender this year with this poor coaching staff and the lack of solid depth. No injuries just means we're good enough to get in the playoffs at maybe 10-6 again just like last season. We were talking Super Bowl in Atlanta throughout the whole off season. Without the injures, we're still not better than the Saints, Bears, or Rams. Deion Jones is the only major guy from our D-line who's been out all year, but the rest of the D-line has been poor. 

Jones plays LBer.

we missed healthy freeman more than we missed anybody, including Jones. Free’s importance to this team’s offense has never been fully understood by fan base. 

I’ve questioned quinn’s Decision making even since he choked SB 51. So yes, Coaching is indeed a big ? for this team moving forward. 

mqg96 likes this

51 minutes ago, Vandy said:

You forsaw 3 of our 4 most important defensive players and our #1 RB all being lost to season-ending injuries before season really even got rolling?

Sure you did. 

Spin city these days.

Self-righteous hacks that can’t try their way to real answers but at least narcissism finds a way to be right and deny them pain of season state. 

“I knew it ALL but watched the games anyway LUL”

trollface.png.90a599d4f01504f5bc0c7333572822ac.png

Vandy likes this