Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

since68andcounting

This team misses Freeman a lot more than people realize

43 posts in this topic

Freeman proved he could get tough yards when yards weren't there. Repeatedly. He made people miss when he looked DITW. You need this on days like yesterday.

Coleman may be bigger, but he has shown that ability only sporadically. And he still shows a tendency to cut toward the sidelines rather than plant and go upfield unless the hole is perfect.

Other than our WRs with WD40 soaked gloves, the biggest problem yesterday is we weren't attacking the middle. We kept trying to spread horizontally, playing right into the speed and youth of the Saints defense. We really missed Freeman yesterday. He would have gone north and south with some attitude.

Just now, thofin21 said:

Especially given the fact that the O line can only open tiny holes for a split second. 

Exactly. Freeman is better at exploding through tight seams. And he doesn't go down with only a glancing blow. THAT is the difference.

thofin21 likes this

Fixing the OL will take at least 2-3 seasons. Mack will need to be replaced soon. Jake is solid, but everyone else blows. We can either fix the D or the OL, I don't think we'll be able to do both this off season. We still have to pay, Grady, Debo, and Neal. 

Freeman pre-injury usually had 2-3 plays a game where he turned nothing into decent gains. Those plays are not there this season.

I think we also miss him near the goal line where he had a great nose for the end zone.

I looked last week and I think we have something like 8 rushing TDs this season. Brutal.

1 hour ago, since68andcounting said:

Freeman proved he could get tough yards when yards weren't there. Repeatedly. He made people miss when he looked DITW. You need this on days like yesterday.

Coleman may be bigger, but he has shown that ability only sporadically. And he still shows a tendency to cut toward the sidelines rather than plant and go upfield unless the hole is perfect.

Other than our WRs with WD40 soaked gloves, the biggest problem yesterday is we weren't attacking the middle. We kept trying to spread horizontally, playing right into the speed and youth of the Saints defense. We really missed Freeman yesterday. He would have gone north and south with some attitude.

Here is the problem. The Freeman of 2016 is not coming back. We have to address the issue of not having a clear go to running back. Freeman will never be that guy again. The team must move on. He was great in his time, now he is a serviceable veteran on deteriorating wheels. It is the way of RBs in this league. It is the reason people are so hesitant to draft them or pay them.

PokerSteve and tonatl07 like this

Freeman can't stay healthy and is not the same back he was in 2016.

What this team misses is a good big strong OL and DL. Fix that and all our skill players are better.

Geneaut and mqg96 like this

4 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

We miss L. Toillio, DiMarco, Clayborn, Hageman and Chester too.

Worrilow made more plays than Riley...:(

22 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

Freeman can't stay healthy and is not the same back he was in 2016.

What this team misses is a good big strong OL and DL. Fix that and all our skill players are better.

Remember Shanny Sr making any RB look good in his system? A good OL makes average backs better, and it makes good backs unstoppable.

50 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

Fixing the OL will take at least 2-3 seasons. Mack will need to be replaced soon. Jake is solid, but everyone else blows. We can either fix the D or the OL, I don't think we'll be able to do both this off season. We still have to pay, Grady, Debo, and Neal. 

We can fix it in one off season but every draft pick and FA move needs to be OL and DL related and we need to target bigger stronger players along both lines.

2 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Better o-line plus a healthy Freeman and this is a completely different team 

Freeman will never be healthy. Even when his knee and groin heel his concussion issues arent going away.

PokerSteve likes this

4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Better o-line plus a healthy Freeman and this is a completely different team 

Freeman is the reason we lost the Super Bowl. Freeman is injury prone and has been a consistent horrible blocker. Stop advocating for this overpaid mediocrity. #TradeFreeman

Just now, thestreetzputon said:

Freeman is the reason we lost the Super Bowl. Freeman is injury prone and has been a consistent horrible blocker. Stop advocating for this overpaid mediocrity. #TradeFreeman

Lol 

Vandy likes this

I think Schraeder is playing hurt so I'd set aside his poor performance for now. Mack is in a similar boat as well.

Schweitzer and Garland are not NFL starter caliber. They are at best rotational players thrust into full time roles and their inadequacies are being exposed. Few teams have deep OL benches. A lot of us had said last off season that Guard should be a top draft priority for us after DT. Instead we signed Fusco and thought that would do the trick. When Fusco when FUBAR and Levitre didn't last more than 4 hours, we were pretty much toast for the season. I know we have to pay our defensive stars and Ryan and Julio but we should've drafted interior OL in the mid rounds