SoCalFalconFan

Draft Priority

122 posts in this topic

As much as I love Julio and as much as I want him here, at this point I think retooling our OL is more important than having the best WR in the league. If we could trade him for a young dominant Olineman and a draft pick or 2. I think we'd be better off. The problem with this team is that it was built backwards. Cut some dead weight and let some other dead weight walk in FA and we'd have TONS of cap space and some extra picks to do some serious work on these lines. 

Trenches, Trenches, Trenches!

OL, DL then whatever after that. We won't win anything of substance until we get a competent line that can pass bock and open holes, and a D Line that can get the QB off his spot. We need another DE to complement Takk because Beasley aint it. Unfortunately, taking a DE anywhere in the draft likely means waiting at least 1-3 years before he becomes a consistent force. So we will likely have to address the DE in FA - ugh.That means likely rescinding Beasley's offer. 

The CBs are awful or raw - except for Blidi-Wreh -  and he's not really a starter. Alford is/was hurt, so we can only hope he starts playing halfway decent again. Trufant is overpaid trash that can't make up for his skillet hands with good coverage and passable run support. What's more, the CB's somehow simultaneously graduated from the Chris Houston School of Cornerbacking Summa *** Laude. Sigh...

If we don't get sizable upgrades in the trenches, forget it. The Chiefs, Rams, Bears and other young and strong teams are setup to be good for some time while our team's superior talent continues to age (Ryan, Julio, etc).

I believe the Falcons' top priority should be a dynamic punt returner/WR. Our season has been sabotaged by the lack of a strong return game and the lack of another playmaker on offense. We need an explosive weapon for jet sweeps on the one foot line. Arthur Blank knows that Falcon fans always demand excitement, not winning, Rise Up.

2 minutes ago, fan since 1968 said:

I believe the Falcons' top priority should be a dynamic punt returner/WR. Our season has been sabotaged by the lack of a strong return game and the lack of another playmaker on offense. We need an explosive weapon for jet sweeps on the one foot line. Arthur Blank knows that Falcon fans always demand excitement, not winning, Rise Up.

I am hoping TD can find us another Kerry Meier.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

8 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

As much as I love Julio and as much as I want him here, at this point I think retooling our OL is more important than having the best WR in the league. If we could trade him for a young dominant Olineman and a draft pick or 2. I think we'd be better off. The problem with this team is that it was built backwards. Cut some dead weight and let some other dead weight walk in FA and we'd have TONS of cap space and some extra picks to do some serious work on these lines. 

Man i say the same thing every year, but what good does it do.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

8 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

Do you all think we will be in position for the Bosa kid?

Doubt it. He's going top 3. We'll probably be in the 6-12 range. 

54 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

1 - OT

2 - MLB

3 - DT

4 - OG

5 - OLB

6 - Big A$$ RB

7 - FB or QB

We need depth. We aren’t who we thought we were at the beginning of the year; injuries or not. 

"Coach" should be on that list too

PokerSteve likes this

26 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

You don't trade top 15 players in the league. Raiders did it and it may or may not work to their favor.

The Falcons can stop the bleeding pretty easily by NOT giving contracts to Vic, Grady or Coleman. Get rid of the dead weight at corner and RT and go from there.

tonatl07 likes this

7 minutes ago, stizz said:

You don't trade top 15 players in the league. Raiders did it and it may or may not work to their favor.

The Falcons can stop the bleeding pretty easily by NOT giving contracts to Vic, Grady or Coleman. Get rid of the dead weight at corner and RT and go from there.

I dunno man. I see both sides to the argument, but I don't get paid to make these decisions. I just want to see us finally do whatever is needed to put some dominant lines on the field. 

15 minutes ago, RubberDucky said:

I dunno man. I see both sides to the argument, but I don't get paid to make these decisions. I just want to see us finally do whatever is needed to put some dominant lines on the field. 

Remember when we didn't have Julio last year vs Buffalo and Miami and how hard it was to move the ball? I'd rather avoid that.

1 hour ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Trade back in the first and pick up another second. Take another ol or olb.. 

That might be our only choice. We don't have enough picks to plug all the needs we have.

Dirtybird3 likes this

35 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

Do you all think we will be in position for the Bosa kid?

Not at all. AZ, SF, OAK, BUFF, NYJ, NYG will all be picking before us possibly even if we lose out. CLE and MIA might also be ahead of us. Bosa won't get past the Raiders. We'll probably be picking 8-15 range.

vitaman likes this

4 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

Not at all. AZ, SF, OAK, BUFF, NYJ, NYG will all be picking before us possibly even if we lose out. CLE and MIA might also be ahead of us. Bosa won't get past the Raiders. We'll probably be picking 8-15 range.

13 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

That might be our only choice. We don't have enough picks to plug all the needs we have.

Yeah we do.... People said the same thing after 2015 and we retooled quickly.

We just need  to hit on our picks.

Hoping to replicate 2016 draft would be a stretch as it is rare to find that many starters in one draft but if we are smart about it it we can easily fill what we need.

Getting a RT, DT,  and LB in the first three rounds is certainly not out of reality.

tonatl07 likes this

18 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Yeah we do.... People said the same thing after 2015 and we retooled quickly.

We just need  to hit on our picks.

Hoping to replicate 2016 draft would be a stretch as it is rare to find that many starters in one draft but if we are smart about it it we can easily fill what we need.

Getting a RT, DT,  and LB in the first three rounds is certainly not out of reality.

That's true. And throw in a serviceable DE, and there's some hope. I think we need more than just one RT though. We need at least one OG and the RT in the first 3 rounds.

2 hours ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Trade back in the first and pick up another second. Take another ol or olb.. 

What makes you think anyone in the draft s going to be as good as anyone we have now.

This is my contention with drafting olineman coming out.I see very few prospects that can make the jump straight away.

By investing early and not getting that return straight up is the bit that scares me going early with these olineman.

falconsd56 likes this

13 minutes ago, celtiksage said:

That's true. And throw in a serviceable DE, and there's some hope. I think we need more than just one RT though. We need at least one OG and the RT in the first 3 rounds.

Yeah a guard would be ideal as well.... We need to hit on free agency too..I ned to start to look at who may be available

15 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

What makes you think anyone in the draft s going to be as good as anyone we have now.

This is my contention with drafting olineman coming out.I see very few prospects that can make the jump straight away.

By investing early and not getting that return straight up is the bit that scares me going early with these olineman.

I am not a proponent of taking a lineman in the first round... The bus straight is so incredibly High.... Especially since a lot of these guys can't run block because of the nature of the college game now.....**** some  dont even get in 3 point stances.

kiwifalcon likes this

3 hours ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

How in the world is DE/DT not 1 or 2 on this list?

Think we need an OG first to protect the QB and then go DT.  To plug up the middle  Teams have been running down the Falcons' gut all season long.

8 hours ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Unfortunately TD gave bad contracts to Trufant, Schaeder, and Freeman...so they aren’t going anywhere for 2 years...

But I’d be trading every other over of %^#* on this roster for draft capital and play the numbers game on drafting decent depth.

Trade Trufant for a 6th rounder to a team on cusp.

Trade Freeman for a 7th rounder

Drop back in 1st round. We need as many bodies as possible. This draft is deep at DT

Id even consider trading Julio is u could get a 1st or two picks in top 3 rounds

Unless the most egregious upcoming extension is on the trade block, it's all pointless. Julio Jones needs to go. That's $20 mil in cap space and 2-3 very high draft picks. Likely 2 first rounders. A lot of problems in the trenches can be fixed with that many assets.