Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slickgadawg

" Matt Ryan looks lost ", Rodney Harrison

162 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, etherdome said:

 Ryan can not overcome a poor OL.  Aaron Rodgers can,  Russell Wilson can, even Drew Brees did (when his OL was suspect).  Rodgers can do it all.  Wilson can extend plays with his legs.  Brees does it with pinpoint accuracy.    

Ryan is not accurate (receivers constantly make adjustments to create a completion).  Heck, Julio often has to fight for the ball, instead of being "thrown open".  Ryan has poor mobility, so he rarely extends a play.  Finally, Ryan can not throw the deep ball well.  Yes, there are deep completions, that that is due to excellent WR play rather than beautifully thrown passes.  

 

How has A Rodgers been doing with his crappy oline?  We have seen A Rodgers get injured from his terrible oline, so your point just doesn't make sense.  At least M Ryan is durable enough to withstand the beating.  A Rodgers has less passing yards and less TDs than M Ryan.  Sure Wilson can move around, but the dude has thrown for 1100 yards less than Ryan (not including M Ryan's 377 yards last night) and only 277 rushing yards (BTW, Matt has 97 rushing yards).  All three of these qbs have 30-33 sacks on the season.  Yet M Ryan has the best numbers of all of them.  Brees on the other hand, has all day to throw and is torching defenses because of the added time.  Most qbs can do this with a clean pocket.  BTW, Brees only has taken 10 sacks on the season. 

 

ALso if we compare M Ryan's career completion % to your god boy A Rodgers, we still see that M Ryan has a higher completion percentage, even though you say he is less accurate than Rodgers.  In fact the past 3 seasons, M Ryan has had a higher completion percentage over Rodgers.  And A Rodgers only has 51 more rushing yards than M Ryan.  Yet again, M Ryan has 2 rushing touchdowns compared to 0 by A Rodgers and 0 by R Wilson. 

 

Seems like the stat sheets are showing a vastly different story than the one you are trying to tell. 

Edited by dawgsjw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dawgsjw said:

How has A Rodgers been doing with his crappy oline?  We have seen A Rodgers get injured from his terrible oline, so your point just doesn't make sense.  At least M Ryan is durable enough to withstand the beating.  A Rodgers has less passing yards and less TDs than M Ryan.  Sure Wilson can move around, but the dude has thrown for 1100 yards less than Ryan (not including M Ryan's 377 yards last night) and only 277 rushing yards (BTW, Matt has 97 rushing yards).  All three of these qbs have 30-33 sacks on the season.  Yet M Ryan has the best numbers of all of them.  Brees on the other hand, has all day to throw and is torching defenses because of the added time.  Most qbs can do this with a clean pocket. 

 

ALso if we compare M Ryan's career completion % to your god boy A Rodgers, we still see that M Ryan has a higher completion percentage, even though you say he is less accurate than Rodgers.  In fact the past 3 seasons, M Ryan has had a higher completion percentage over Rodgers.  And A Rodgers only has 51 more rushing yards than M Ryan.  Yet again, M Ryan has 2 rushing touchdowns compared to 0 by A Rodgers and 0 by R Wilson. 

 

Seems like the stat sheets are showing a vastly different story than the one you are trying to tell. 

There are two main factors in completion percentage:  QB accuracy and WR catching radius.  Matt Ryan has the best WR in the league.  He also has a very reliable possession receiver in Sanu.  AND he now has another gifted rookie WR.  

Just look at Ryan's passes and where they are caught.  He rarely throws a receiver open.  He rarely puts the ball where the receiver can gain the most yards.  Now, look at where Brees and Rodgers put the ball.  You will see a big difference.  

Stats are great, but they do not tell the full story.  I am not saying that Ryan is bad;  he clearly is not.  All I am saying is that he gets criticized because he just received a massive contract.  If he played like Brees or Rodgers, then no one would complain.  As it is, he is a target for criticism because he does not play like a top-tier QB.  He doesn't lose games for us, but he also doesn't win them for us.    

Once again, let me mention this.  We are losing because our OL stinks and because our defense is gutted, not because Ryan isn't doing his part.    

cblack and MikeSmithsNotepad like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt Ryan is not a top 3 QB, but he is so underappreciated by this fan base it's ridiculous. Let's throw Schaub, Dalton or Alex Smith back there and see how it goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is easy to throw Ryan under the bus when our win-loss record sux. No one throws Brees or Rodgers under the bus when their win-loss record sux. That is my problem with all the Ryan hate. What has Rodgers done for his team this year? He and Ryan do not play defense. Rodgers play has netted a few wins this year but so has Ryans. Brees looks better this year because he can rely on his running game to help open up the passing game. Ryan was our leading rusher last night. We converted a ton of third and fourth downs last night because of Ryan play. Could Ryan play better? Of course he could. He is not the problem. He is a franchise QB. Franchise QBs are not that easy to find. 

VTCrunkler and Geneaut like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, robertap said:

Freeman wasn't the injury prone one, Coleman was.  Freeman didn't start getting hurt frequently until after he got paid.  I would never have paid someone who complained about money during SUPERBOWL WEEK.

That said, we shouldn't be paying ANY RB or WR top money.  Skill position players need to be good enough to get the job done.  They don't have to be elite, and elite skill position players rarely make up the difference for poor line play.  If you have an elite QB, your best bet is making sure that the OL is as good as it can be.  You're not going to win a lot of games if your 150 million dollar QB is running for his life.

I can agree with most of that. Julio Jones, you can't "not pay" him. My personal opinion, Ryan is not elite. Elite is the best of the best, Julio Jones is Elite. He is the kind of athlete that NFL athletes are in awe of. Elite is reserved for the best 2 or 3 at the position. Despite the drops and constant key plays on the sideline, Julio is 1 or 2 (no lower than 3rd) in receiving 2014-2018.

Ryan is really good. Has to have everything around him for him to be really good. Perfect pocket, running game, two top tier receiving options and another guy at the slot or TE spot. He isn't in the conversation if he has what Brady or Rogers were working with from 2008 to 2018.

Ryan showed much improved athleticism in 2016. That is gone now. I think the MVP year which he earned was the aberration and more a direct result of all the pieces and the play calling all coming together in the perfect storm. 

Freeman I recall being hurt coming out of pre-season his rookie year. I think for his size, he runs too violently. Seems like he emphasizes the contact at the end of his runs. I know you want guys to finish strong. That would not be a problem if he were 220, but it has taken a tole on his body. I think the best of Freeman is gone. 

cblack likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bigbenright said:

It is easy to throw Ryan under the bus when our win-loss record sux. No one throws Brees or Rodgers under the bus when their win-loss record sux. That is my problem with all the Ryan hate. What has Rodgers done for his team this year? He and Ryan do not play defense. Rodgers play has netted a few wins this year but so has Ryans. Brees looks better this year because he can rely on his running game to help open up the passing game. Ryan was our leading rusher last night. We converted a ton of third and fourth downs last night because of Ryan play. Could Ryan play better? Of course he could. He is not the problem. He is a franchise QB. Franchise QBs are not that easy to find. 

Give me Jacob Eason for $10,000 Alex...

 

Image result for jacob eason gif

 

Image result for jacob eason gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bigbenright said:

It is easy to throw Ryan under the bus when our win-loss record sux. No one throws Brees or Rodgers under the bus when their win-loss record sux. That is my problem with all the Ryan hate. What has Rodgers done for his team this year? He and Ryan do not play defense. Rodgers play has netted a few wins this year but so has Ryans. Brees looks better this year because he can rely on his running game to help open up the passing game. Ryan was our leading rusher last night. We converted a ton of third and fourth downs last night because of Ryan play. Could Ryan play better? Of course he could. He is not the problem. He is a franchise QB. Franchise QBs are not that easy to find. 

I don't make it a habit of worrying about other teams problems. That being said, in the last 10 years, Brees lowest output has been approximately 4300 yards. Even with the small numbers by today's standards, he was still well above a 2:1 TD to INT ratio. QBR 2017—2008 was always above 90, and mostly above 100. We all know Brees has made that Saints passing game top tier consistently, even when the weapons were just OK. 

Yes Ryan is a franchise QB, but I don't think any longer that he can take us where we want to go because of competing differences in the organization. I think about it like this, what did Dan Marino get the Dolphins after his 1 super bowl appearance? He was great, everyone knew he was going into the hall. Yeah they were relevant, but all the eggs were in the Marino basket and it never materialized. 

Falcons organization likes zone blocking, small o-linemen that get pushed around. Smaller cut back runners with wiggle more than power. Shot-gun and wildcat on the goal line and short yardage situations. If that is the offensive philosophy, Matt Ryan is NOT your guy. You can wait for the occasional aberration like 2016, but those kind of years don't happen often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Expert Poster said:

Mahomes and Goff have not won SBs. 

Roethlisberger has not won a SB without having a great defense. He went 9/21 passing in his first Super Bowl win. Ryan has always had to carry the team. 

The first two qbs you mentioned are very young 2 or 3 year qbs!!!!!!! Who both are leading decent teams with spotty if not bad defenses. And Roethlosberger did go 9/21 but he made plays when his team had to have it!!! Ryan had to carry this team????? With the weaponry matt has had at his disposal those other qbs would post MVP numbers every year..and to say he has always carried the team speaks volumes being we still are lombardy less..... he has carried us where?I have a hard time envisioning any of the legit top tier qbs having the ball with 50 secs left in the Superbowl in which his team held a 28-3 advantage and only needs to get in feild goal position to give his team and franchise it's first championship on an MVP year, not coming through the aresonal we have had.We had this very scenario and punted the ball back with 10 secs left!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, etherdome said:

 If he played like Brees or Rodgers, then no one would complain.  As it is, he is a target for criticism because he does not play like a top-tier QB.  He doesn't lose games for us, but he also doesn't win them for us.    

Once again, let me mention this.  We are losing because our OL stinks and because our defense is gutted, not because Ryan isn't doing his part.    

Why do you keep bringing up A Rodgers?  M Ryan has out played A Rodgers this season and for several seasons now.  A Rodgers has less yards, less TDs and if M Ryan played like A Rodgers this season, people would be *****ing even more.  So quit using A Rodgers to defend your side, because A Rodgers is a shell of himself. 

Geneaut likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 10:46 PM, slickgadawg said:

He gets paid $150 million not to panic. Thats the difference...

see my post above, he doesn't get paid ANY amount of money to get wrecked like he would. Some of y'all are just stupid, and no, I don't mind getting a 'vacation' for telling the truth

jay1k2 and Geneaut like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 9:46 PM, slickgadawg said:

He gets paid $150 million not to panic. Thats the difference...

Plus he has been training for this throughout college and the 10 previous seasons he has spent in the NFL. . .  bad comparison to compare Joe Blow Falcons fan and a seasoned veteran QB in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2018 at 9:40 AM, etherdome said:

There are two main factors in completion percentage:  QB accuracy and WR catching radius.  Matt Ryan has the best WR in the league.  He also has a very reliable possession receiver in Sanu.  AND he now has another gifted rookie WR.  

Just look at Ryan's passes and where they are caught.  He rarely throws a receiver open.  He rarely puts the ball where the receiver can gain the most yards.  Now, look at where Brees and Rodgers put the ball.  You will see a big difference.  

Stats are great, but they do not tell the full story.  I am not saying that Ryan is bad;  he clearly is not.  All I am saying is that he gets criticized because he just received a massive contract.  If he played like Brees or Rodgers, then no one would complain.  As it is, he is a target for criticism because he does not play like a top-tier QB.  He doesn't lose games for us, but he also doesn't win them for us.    

Once again, let me mention this.  We are losing because our OL stinks and because our defense is gutted, not because Ryan isn't doing his part.    

We have great WR???  You mean the ones that lead the league in drops last year and look to duplicate that this year.  Those WR with the great catch radius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same Rodney Harrison who one play said "Matt Ryan is locking on receivers instead of scanning the field" (he wasn't), and then the VERY NEXT PLAY Ryan goes through 3 progressions to hit his 4th option and Harrison immediately says "Matt Ryan has to try to get Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley the ball."

Which is to say, yeah, a blind clock finds a nut every now and then, but Rodney Harrison is an idiot.

Ryan did not play well.  It's hard to play well behind that o-line, but he still didn't play well.  Rodney Harrison's opinion is not needed to assess that situation, and in fact is detrimental to assessing it because basically, Rodney Harrison's opinion is "I don't like Matt Ryan or anything he ever does."

Vandy, Andrews_31 and Geneaut like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

We have great WR???  You mean the ones that lead the league in drops last year and look to duplicate that this year.  Those WR with the great catch radius.

Are you implying with a straight face we don’t? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 8:35 PM, #55 said:

and maybe your in a car wreck....geesh

There you go. That just made it all better. Brotherhood. Oh wait. That only applies to the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Are you implying we don’t? With a straight face?

We have great receivers that have done nothing to help our situation.  The topic is about Ryan looking panicked and the comparison of Rodgers to Ryan.  Ryan is a better QB right now and it’s not due to WR performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On November 22, 2018 at 9:29 PM, 408Falcon said:

Are you guys serious? Matt Ryan does look lost! Mr. My first read is my go to then I'm hosed. A Mahomes. A Goff. A Brees. A top tier QB can improvise. I love Matt. He is not the type to improvise. He is Mr. Deer in headlights!!

Pretty much dead on 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, papachaz said:

see my post above, he doesn't get paid ANY amount of money to get wrecked like he would. Some of y'all are just stupid, and no, I don't mind getting a 'vacation' for telling the truth

Last time I checked all NFL players get paid  big bucks to get wrecked...:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

We have great WR???  You mean the ones that lead the league in drops last year and look to duplicate that this year.  Those WR with the great catch radius.

Inaccurate QB.  See, there are a number of ways to view stats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Anyone will be in panic mode when the fastest sack ever recorded happens to them. I can't think of any QB that hasn't struggled with a bad offensive line. Matt Ryan has played well all things considered.

tho he definitely can get happy feet and a fast internal clock sometimes...he has done well all things considered!! so effing annoying that neither of these lines have been stellar nor fixed under Quinn!!

Malachore likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Anyone will be in panic mode when the fastest sack ever recorded happens to them. I can't think of any QB that hasn't struggled with a bad offensive line. Matt Ryan has played well all things considered.

But Rodney Harrison doesn’t think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On November 22, 2018 at 9:36 PM, papachaz said:

i'll put any one of you morons out there behind this crappy line and let those 290 lb PLUS defensive guys come at you full speed ahead and see if you can NOT look like you're panicked or lost....  god what a bunch of idiots we have on this message board

Lol including you even when he had time he was bad come on man 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

Anyone will be in panic mode when the fastest sack ever recorded happens to them. I can't think of any QB that hasn't struggled with a bad offensive line. Matt Ryan has played well all things considered.

God we are soft 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0