Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Spts1

Losing teams change uniforms every few years. Falcons need to go back to the Red and Black

32 posts in this topic

Work with me here.  This is a GENERAL phenomenom I've noticed in sports at the college and pro levels.  It appears that losing franchises always change their uniform every few years to keep the fans interested while championship franchises NEVER change their uniforms.  In the NBA you have the Lakers,Celtics, Spurs, etc.  No matter if they are losing they will not wholesale change their uniforms. In the NFL you have the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, etc. as examples.  In MLB you have the Yankees, Dodgers, Reds, Braves. Yes, the Braves. 

The sports gods for some reason respect when you stay with TRADITION.  Think back on the Braves for example.  When they were in Boston and Milwaukee they were champions.  When they moved to Atlanta and got them circus cartoons they started losing.  Is it a coincidence that when they went BACK to tradition in 1987 the franchise started turning around in the minors and exploded with that 1990 team?   I say the Falcons need to go back to their original uniforms.  My favorites are the red helmets and jerseys of the late 70s,early 80s but I'm thinking that tradition dictates they go back to the ORIGINAL black red helmet, black jersey.  I have YET to see a red falcon out in the wild...:lol:  Black HAS to be the dominant color. 

1952 Boston Braves 

Image result for 1952 boston braves 

1952 Boston Braves

Related image

Milwaukee Braves

Image result for hank aaron milwaukee braves

The clown uniform of the 70s

Image result for 1972 braves

Back to tradition

Image result for chipper jones braves

This is what the team should look like right now. Go back to the originals...

Related image

Image result for 1966 atlanta falcons

Image result for atlanta falcons red helmets black jersey

Edited by slickgadawg

22 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

So losing in the Super Bowl makes us a losing franchise?

Of course not.  The Falcons all-time won/lost record does...

Seasons: 53 (1966 to 2018)

Record (W-L-T): 355-449-6

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/atl/index.htm

Edited by slickgadawg

Brilliant analysis mate. Really wish you were our GM we would be winning superbowls every season. If only Cleveland knew how close they are to being a contender. Gotta keep this mind-blowing secret here in forum though. Imagine if it got out and other bad team GM's starting switching uniforms. There wouldn't be enough playoff spots for all of these teams breaking out of their slumps. 

Dukeduke211 and Flying Falcon like this

Some teams (Yankees, Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers) look is too iconic to change, because it is so much a part of their brand. Some of these teams that never change their look were also founding/early members in their sport, so that could be a big reason too. Then there are successful teams who have changed their look and continue to revise it like the Patriots. 

I would love for the Falcons to go to gray pants (I hate white pants) for both road and home games, and then simplify the jersey with just the logo on the sleeve, bold numbers and maybe a side stripe that extends into the pants.

Spts1 likes this

17 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

Some teams (Yankees, Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers) look is too iconic to change, because it is so much a part of their brand. Some of these teams that never change their look were also founding/early members in their sport, so that could be a big reason too. Then there are successful teams who have changed their look and continue to revise it like the Patriots. 

I would love for the Falcons to go to gray pants (I hate white pants) for both road and home games, and then simplify the jersey with just the logo on the sleeve, bold numbers and maybe a side stripe that extends into the pants.

Thats the point I'm making.  If the Falcons just stayed with their original uniforms then it would've been  their brand.  Notice also how the winning teams have SIMPLE uniforms.  Look at college football. Its the same way. Heck, bama doesn't even fool with a logo on their helmets, they just throw your number on it...   My dawgs have a simple G logo which they copied from the Green Bay Packers.   I've never liked the current Falcons uniform. Too much going on like a circus tent... Like a bunch of clowns. Keep it clean and simple like the originals...

Image result for atlanta falcons uniform

Image result for red and black circus tent

Edited by slickgadawg
DirtybyrdGA likes this

4 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Thats the point I'm making.  If the Falcons just stayed with their original uniforms then it would've been  their brand.  Notice also how the winning teams have SIMPLE uniforms.  Look at college football. Its the same way. Heck, bama doesn't even fool with a logo on their helmets, they just throw your number on it...   My dawgs have a simple G logo which they copied from the Green Bay Packers.   I've never liked the current Falcons uniform. Too much going on like a circus tent...

Image result for atlanta falcons uniform

Image result for red and black circus tent

I get your point. However, IMO the initial Falcons unis doesn't fit the iconic mold that others have created for themselves. The initial logo was bad/weak even from 60s standards. As a kid and now a long time professional designer, I've never like the original logo.  I like the color sheme from the initial uni, and even the changes they made from the 70s to the 90s. I'll agree with you on the current uni, as it is just clownish looking.

Spts1 likes this

Just now, 4dabirds said:

I get your point. However, IMO the initial Falcons unis doesn't fit the iconic mold that others have created for themselves. The initial logo was bad/weak even from 60s standards. As a kid and now a long time professional designer, I've never like the original logo.  I like the color sheme from the initial uni, and even the changes they made from the 70s to the 90s. I'll agree with you on the current uni, as it is just clownish looking.

Good post.  As a designer, what would you have done differently with the original logo?  The eagles seem to have a simpler logo even though it could be called bold.  

Just now, slickgadawg said:

Good post.  As a designer, what would you have done differently with the original logo?  The eagles seem to have a simpler logo even though it could be called bold.  

The original logo was not bold, sharp, menacing, or fast looking. If anything it looked dumbfounded. It looks like a one-off concept that no one tried to expand on. Subtle tweaks would have made it much better. A decent idea was there all along, but they just didn't work it like they should IMO. Even the Hawks and Flames initial logos were way better.

14 minutes ago, falconfreek123 said:

Atleast were not piss colors

Haha!  I assume you're speaking of the Taints colors... 

I've always liked the red helmets, black jerseys and silver pants for our colors. 
Also, I've often wondered what the red helmet would look like with our current logo on it.....maybe somebody can photoshop it, so we could see what it looks like. 

24 minutes ago, 4dabirds said:

The original logo was not bold, sharp, menacing, or fast looking. If anything it looked dumbfounded. It looks like a one-off concept that no one tried to expand on. Subtle tweaks would have made it much better. A decent idea was there all along, but they just didn't work it like they should IMO. Even the Hawks and Flames initial logos were way better.

You want to keep the Falcon logo but make it more aggressive. I looked up the Flowery Branch Falcons.  Their helmet logo is similar to the Falcons but they have a alternate logo that appears to be along the line of what you are talking about.  Drop the FB and use the Falcon:

Image result for flowery branch falcons

Edited by slickgadawg
4dabirds likes this

9 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I like the current ones. Didn't the Falcons wear something different vs. the Cowboys?

They wore the " back in black " uniforms of the Jerry Glanville era...

Image result for falcons back in black jerry glanville

3 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Definitely ready for a uni change. That one would be a good start. 

Need rest now and will take it in form or fashion though.

We ain't dead yet. Get hot and strike. Still wide open. 

Dukeduke211 likes this

7 minutes ago, slickgadawg said:

Cool. Ty. I knew it was something different. Anyway. Different look same results. 

Spts1 likes this

I love the originals unis because those were the ones I cheered on, and more than that, I spend my ""MONEY"" on. For me RED Helmet, BLACK Home Jersey, WHITE pants with RED/BLACK trim and the RED/BLACK on WHITE socks. If not I will go with the RED Helmet, RED Home Jersey, GRAY pants with RED/BLACK trim, and the RED and WHITE socks. I still remember freezing my, you know what, as I was the only Falcon Fan remaining in my whole section of Fulton County Stadium.  

Spts1 and putnam6 like this

2 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

So losing in the Super Bowl makes us a losing franchise?

The last 6 years do for sure. This team has a stench on it that won't go away.

3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Of course not.  The Falcons all-time won/lost record does...

Seasons: 53 (1966 to 2018)

Record (W-L-T): 355-449-6

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/atl/index.htm

Record since the falcons launched the current red jersey as the home jersey (2004): 134-112 (including playoffs) 

Record prior: 223-344

Based on your logic, the falcons should keep the current uniforms 

Spts1 likes this