Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Will Matt Ryan win a Lombardi for the Falcons before he retires?

96 posts in this topic

In another thread I indicated that our next SB window will be the year of 2034. The Falcons go for the Lombardi every 18 years,1980, 1998, 2016 and hopefully 2034. Again, I wish all of you will be here to see our next franchise QB wins it. Matt Ryan will be remember only as DAN MARINO 2.0!!! 

9 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Do you guys think that Matt Ryan will win a Lombardi for the Falcons before he retires? If so what year do you think it is most likely to happen? I personally think Dan Quinn and the Falcons front office will draft really well this offseason. I predict we will most likely win the Lombardi in 2019 or 2020 season. I predict the Atlanta curse of not having a Championship will end at 25 years. What do you guys think? 

I think we will win at least one in next couple years, hopefully two. Elway never won his two rings until he got a great RB and defense, Peyton won his second with a great D. It’s why I wanted Quinn in 1st place, to build a championship defense. 

Unique opp after a down year of injuries to draft in Top 15 this year. Go DL Rd 1 and RT or OG in Rd 2. Get everybody healthy, Spend some on FA this offseason on OL/DL.....and we should be good. We’re closer than most folks think.

Edit: And get Quinn an analytics guy to help him with situational game management decisions. After 4 years learning on the job,  he still hasn’t learned a **** thing in that area.

Expert Poster and PokerSteve like this

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I think we will win at least one in next couple years, hopefully two. Elway never won his until he got a great RB and defense, Peyton won both his SB with a great D. It’s why I wanted Quinn in 1st place, to build a championship defense. 

Unique opp after a down year of injuries to draft in Top 15 this year. Go DL Rd 1 and RT or OG in Rd 2. Get everybody healthy, Spend some on FA this offseason on OL/DL.....and we should be good. 

The first D wasn’t great but they held opponents to less than 20 points and got TO.  

3 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

The first D wasn’t great but they held opponents to less than 20 points and got TO.  

Thanks for correction 007. I will edit to correct Peyton got his 2nd SB with a great D. 

(His 1st ring Indy’s D was underratedly good, but I agree they weren’t great)

falcons007 likes this

7 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Thanks for correction 007. I will edit to correct Peyton got his 2nd SB with a great D. 

(His 1st ring Indy’s D was underratedly good, but I agree they weren’t great)

That D was key part of the SB run with key turn overs and stops. Not Denver D but helped them get the ring. They had good pass rush with Mathis and Freeney with a great secondary. 

Vandy likes this

9 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Do you guys think that Matt Ryan will win a Lombardi for the Falcons before he retires? If so what year do you think it is most likely to happen? I personally think Dan Quinn and the Falcons front office will draft really well this offseason. I predict we will most likely win the Lombardi in 2019 or 2020 season. I predict the Atlanta curse of not having a Championship will end at 25 years. What do you guys think? 

Nope. Not a chance in Hades.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

I'm still optimistic.  Going into this season, we knew our D would be good.  It finished top 10 last year, just got decimated by injuries.  How do you think this season looks if our D stays healthy?  I think we win against Cleveland, Dallas, Cincy, and New Orleans.  That's a completely looking team.  

Nope. I don’t think I will see the birds win one before I retire either....

in 10-20 years they will talk about Marino, Kelly and Ryan...the greats who didn’t win the big one.

Flying Falcon likes this

Possible but I wouldn't bet on it. Only way it happens is if Quinn learns how to manage the clock and the obvious answer, every key core member stays healthy. Clearly guys aren't utilized enough to be able to fill a role properly before the the team loses control of the season

I don’t think so. And it’s mostly due to issues outside his control. First, the NFL has a high deal of variance and injuries compound the randomness. Even if he’s a top5 QB as he is right now, it sometimes doesn’t matter. Also, he is not on a rookie contract, and several other contenders will be. That is one of THE biggest differentiators. An extra 20mil to spend on the OL/DL would make the Falcons a championship team. 

I hope he does and think he can, other things hv 2 go right for that to happen. Rcvrs can’t hv drops, defense gotta stay healthy, o-line has to block wait wait that means the whole team has to do it including the coaches. No matter what he does, MR2 can’t “win the Lombardi” by himself.  Bucs won with Brad Johnson because that whole team was legit same with Ravens and Trent Dilfer. Ryan is better than both of those guys combined.

Everyone thinks their team is destined to win one.  Especially when they get a franchise QB, etc.  Perception.

Reality is...most teams don’t.  

Matt is 33 and I honestly think he can play at a high level for another six or so years.  That in no way guarantees we’ll have the team/staff around him to put him in a place to win it.  The window with “this team” is going to close in the next two years.  Then you’ll have a lot of new faces and potentially a new staff as well.  

I say all that to say...I just don’t know but if forced to bet on it I’d say no.  Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s his fault.

He needs two quality linemen to supplement Jake and Mack is ending his career, so it needs to be soon.  He needs an OC that understands the NFL game, current rules and down and distance situations.  He needs to keep the core of his WR's intact and he needs a RB that can pick up a few yards on 2nd or 3rd and short.  If he has that, I think he could win with an average defense.  If he gets a good defense it makes it easier.

I don't think Freeman has any real value that cant be gained by other backs (Coleman and a power back) but his cap hit hurts our ability to pick up another good lineman.  JJ's contract is going to hurt, but I don't think you can let him walk and we really are a better team with Sanu.  Not sure how you keep all that and pay for a defense.  Can't really cut Freeman and Coleman will be too expensive.  Ito isn't as good as those two and you don't need three, change of pace backs on the team.

12 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

nope he has become a statue in the pocket and his arm has lost tons of power, he time has passed 

Flying Falcon likes this

He will.  He has shown that he can play at the required level to get us there.  Arthur Blank is motivated to have a winner here and win the ultimate prize.  He will make that clear to Quinn and Dimitroff and they will get us the personnel we need.  Having said that, that all has to happen within the next 3-4 years before we get into a rebuilding mode.  

There are many QBs that aren't in the same league as Ice that have won Lombardi's.

So as long as he's still playing there is always a chance. Of course the FO offense needs to help him out by giving him the best possible OL and defense.

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

I think we will win at least one in next couple years, hopefully two. Elway never won his two rings until he got a great RB and defense, Peyton won his second with a great D. It’s why I wanted Quinn in 1st place, to build a championship defense. 

Unique opp after a down year of injuries to draft in Top 15 this year. Go DL Rd 1 and RT or OG in Rd 2. Get everybody healthy, Spend some on FA this offseason on OL/DL.....and we should be good. We’re closer than most folks think.

Edit: And get Quinn an analytics guy to help him with situational game management decisions. After 4 years learning on the job,  he still hasn’t learned a **** thing in that area.

None of our coaches seem to do well in this area.

Vandy likes this