k-train

Deion Jones a longshot to play vs Saints?

31 posts in this topic

Per Rotoworld:

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Deion Jones (foot) is moving well, but they still want to see him generate more power.

Jones has been out since undergoing foot surgery following the season opener. He is going to participate in some capacity during Tuesday's practice, but it sounds like he is a longshot to play on Thanksgiving. One of Atlanta's best players on defense, Jones will be a big boost once he is able to return.

If he doesn't play Thursday & and we lose I'm wondering if we shelve him for the year. 

Any playoff hopes this team has are currently razor thin at best & pretty much completely gone with another loss. So there would really be no reason to have him risk re-injury in a handful of meaningless games to finish the season. Let him get some extra time in to heal & come back 100% next year.

At this point does it matter , yes we could definitely use him , he's a general in the field but I'm not so sure the team hasn't already mailed it in for the remainder of the season, trufant played better against dallas but it seemed the fans had to jump on him to get him to. The D line cant stop anyone 

Just now, UK13 said:

At this point does it matter , yes we could definitely use him , he's a general in the field but I'm not so sure the team hasn't already mailed it in for the remainder of the season, trufant played better against dallas but it seemed the fans had to jump on him to get him to. The D line cant stop anyone 

It's very rare that anything that happens in football was down to just one player. A great QB can look awful if WRs are dropping passes & running wrong routes, or the o-line can't buy them any time. A running back only consistently does well when the o-line is doing well. CBs do well when the pass rush is forcing an opposing QB to force things.  When the secondary is good enough to effectively press and/or stick to their guy & have great coverage, pass rushers have more time to get to the QB & be successful.

So while a healthy Debo wouldn't likely be some sort of one man savior of the season, he could in theory give us a much better idea of how good some of these young guys are when the core of the D is slightly more solid. It allows Campbell to go focus on his own responsibilities rather than trying to do too much because he's surrounded by young, struggling players. Then with Debo & Campbell in roles they know well, if means we get a much better idea of what Foye can be when he's got a solid foundation around him in the LB corps... potentially the same concept with Duke.

Also, a healthy Debo is one of the best LBs in coverage in the NFL. So, if the LB corps is playing even a little better, it starts to allow the safeties to help the CBs more rather than having to always focus on helping LBs who struggle in coverage. Then that could cause Alford & Tru to have a little more confidence, knowing they will regularly have reliable help over the top, which allows them to play much better than they have thus far this season.

If he's healthy, Debo's impact really could help us see slight improvement all across the D... but if he's not totally ready to go, it's just not worth it at this point IMO.

rugger8 likes this

13 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

That was pretty funny.

:lol:

I was seeing everyone here ask if he'll be playing against Dallas & I was literally shaking my head.  Even if he was 100% healed, it takes time to get his body back & I bet his foot isn't 100% yet either.  I just don't get it.  At this point, I want him to rehab until he is back to his old self.  

Skeetbird and ya_boi_j like this

12 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I was seeing everyone here ask if he'll be playing against Dallas & I was literally shaking my head.  Even if he was 100% healed, it takes time to get his body back & I bet his foot isn't 100% yet either.  I just don't get it.  At this point, I want him to rehab until he is back to his old self.  

Yea I don't get the urgency from peeps. Even from the ones who think they're "smarter" than everyone else

HASHBROWN3 and Flying Falcon like this

19 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Agreed, and the fact the both DQ & Debo were extremely non-committal on placing a timeline on his potential return & even said as much... that he wasn't going to play until he could actually be himself fully out there... should've made it kinda beyond obvious.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

1 minute ago, k-train said:

Agreed, and the fact the both DQ & Debo were extremely non-committal on placing a timeline on his potential return & even said as much... that he wasn't going to play until he could actually be himself fully out there... should've made it kinda beyond obvious.

Yeah, I think a lot of folks were simply being naive about it tbh. 

Dude had a broken foot & it had to mend for a good while with no weight bearing then limited weight, then the leg, then the rest of his body. 

During that process his playing stamina & strength & balance & ability to stick & cut & explode on the ball are all declining.  If he were to go in this week or last, lord, he'd surely injure himself again in another capacity man.

As some of y’all are saying, I’d keep him out until he’s 100%, and I’m not saying this as a Saints fan. 

Look at Greg Olsen. He broke his foot early last season. Had surgery, went on IR, came back, re-injured it again, played through it (not at optimal capacity, but still wrecked us in the playoffs), then had to have surgery again in the offseason and rehab again. At the beginning of the season he was a non factor and though he’s much closer now, he’s still not fully back to his pre-broken foot self over a year after breaking it originally then rushing to come back.

It comes down to trying to rush and get him back this year for a few wins and possibly hinder his performance at the beginning of next season if he re-injures it at the end of this year, or making the difficult decision to shut him down for the year despite still being in the hunt for a Wild Card.

He wont make a difference if he plays and our season is done. 

Shut him down and let him get healthy for next year. Why risk anything on this season which at best probably ends up at 8-8 if not 7-9.

1 hour ago, caponine said:

he’s not which means Kamara gonnarun wild. Gotta keep that offense and our defense off the field. Which means long methodical drives. 

Kamara would run wild if he was playing. He’s not going to hop in the field and be Debo from last year. It’ll take him a few games to round back into shape physically and mentally. 

Long methodical drives to protect the defense is one of the reasons why the offense looks terrible. They’re trying to play power offense with a finesse o line and run game. They need to try to outscore the saints imo. 

2 hours ago, k-train said:

If he doesn't play Thursday & and we lose I'm wondering if we shelve him for the year. 

Any playoff hopes this team has are currently razor thin at best & pretty much completely gone with another loss. So there would really be no reason to have him risk re-injury in a handful of meaningless games to finish the season. Let him get some extra time in to heal & come back 100% next year.

Agree!

Well said.