Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vel

2018 Atlanta Falcons and going forward...

68 posts in this topic

I will give him M M a pass because of the the crippling injuries plus it isnt his fault that DQ and TD wouldn't change their"we are good like we are" refuse to get some mean beef and continued to go with underperforming players. I don't think he had the power to sit  or trade McClain, Duke, Trucant, Vic, Richards etc. One thing I hope moving forward is the FO has been forced to realize you have to have quality depth. Hopefully some of those players who were forced to play will be just that.

13 hours ago, vel said:

Yep. After firing Smith, he should have taken over gameday playcalling until Manuel showed he was capable. He makes big bets and places large amounts of faith in his decisions and others and I like that, but he's got to learn to be more discerning. He rolled with Sark with no safety net last year. Same with Duke. Same with Richards. BUT! He's corrected them since by bringing in Knapp, finding Foye but also adding Carter and giving Ish more snaps, and bringing back Neasman to replace Richards. It's just the time it takes to make those calls. 

As for his situational coaching... That's just gonna take experience. I think part of his problem is he relies on his defense getting stops, but forgets he's not calling the plays and results in blind faith in the unit. 

Good post. It’s why I’m not among the lynch mob wanting to get rid of DQ. We’ll see how he does this offseason after this year of adversity, a lot of tough decisions he’ll be facing on both players and coaches. I do like how he guided them back into playoffs last year after SB collapse, so the hope is he’ll figure these correctable things out and grow from this as well.

But the pixie dust is all gone, my bet is arthur’s leash is much tighter to the point DQ better turn it around next year. Peeps can argue the team hasn’t had a good year because of the injuries all the want, but the DC and the head coach have not coached well either. Better situational coaching and personnel decisions and like you said, play calling on D, and this team would be 7-3 even with the injuries.

vel likes this

11 hours ago, ZoneOne01 said:

Good post Vel. 

The “Fire Quinn” talk has gotten rediculous. These people act as if there aren’t legit personnel issues with the Falcons. Even if healthy, the team would still be suspect on the line of scrimmage. 

This team losing will be a good thing draft wise. Shore up on the lines and you have very talented team going into next season. 

DQ is still learning how to be a head coach.

This is why I believe he makes these situational mistakes.I just hope he's learning from them.

10 hours ago, Vandy said:

I don’t want to fire Quinn either, not after one bad injury riddled season.....but he deserves plenty of the criticism that’s been coming his way. 

Who hired Manuel to replace Richard Smith? Who kept trotting Duke Riley/Jordan Richards out there game after game? Who in year 4 on the job keeps making critical situational coaching mistakes at end of games?

Ya....Jordan Richards. Wow. How can you put this guy on the field ever? Total liability.

Vandy likes this

On 11/19/2018 at 11:06 PM, vel said:

I see a lot of people complaining about the lost season and wanting DQ gone. 

First, you're an idiot if you want DQ gone. This is going to be his first losing season. He's already won more playoff games than Mike Smith did in half the time. It took a ton of injuries to tank this season. That sometimes is not a bad thing. It exposes your flaws while giving you the opportunity to secure a premiere talent you otherwise wouldn't have had the chance to draft without a massive trade up. Want an example? See: San Antonio Spurs. The last time they were putrid, they lost David Robinson for the season, drafted Tim Duncan after it and the rest is history. 

If you think it's a good idea to fire the man who had his team in the SB and the only NFC team to return to the playoffs last year AND win, then you're an emotional idiot. Simply put. Not mincing my words. Look at the Eagles. They went from SB champs to looking like shlt.  The Jags finally got a taste of playoff success and may not even make it back to the playoffs after being close to a SB berth vs NE last year. You can't say that about DQ and the Falcons after blowing the biggest lead in NFL history. That shows you his worth. 

Where I fault DQ is the blind faith he has in his coordinators at times. He had blind faith in Kyle and it worked out. He had blind faith in Sark in 2017 and it bit him. He corrected that by getting Sark help in Greg Knapp and making changes. We see the result. Even after losing Free, Levitre, and Fusco, Sark and the offense have been rolling largely this season. He hasn't done that on defense. Yes, there are a ton of injuries, especially to key players. But you see teams adjust. HeIl, Pedersen lost Wentz and adjusted and won a SB with Nick Foles.

The problem with Manuel is that he's been overly reliant on his talent doing the hard work and heavy lifting and him just rotating through a handful of calls. It's very Mike Smith/BVG like. People killed Sark around here last year, yet you at least see what Sark was trying to do and how he was trying to attack. Even with the jet sweep, that blew everyone's lid. Look at this season. You've seen more jet sweeps from the one ran and scored. You see Sark's overall creativity coming through. Yes, he's had some errors, but you can't say the same for Manuel. It's Cover 3, Cover 1, the occasional nickel blitz, and then dropping 8. It signals to the team that you aren't confident in the hand you've been dealt. You haven't seen him even try to take away a team's best weapon or method of attack. You constantly see our LBs bailing and leaving massive amounts of space, coverages blown, assignments missed. For a simple scheme and only a handful of coverages called, that they've ran since at least high school, it's unacceptable. Honestly, after 32 games, I've seen enough of Manuel to know he isn't cut out to be a coordinator in the NFL. All those complaints yall had for Sark not being an NFL OC, just change them and apply them to Manuel. He's out of his league. Take a look at a guy like Vic Fangio and how he attacks nightly and look at how passive Manuel's scheme is. We saw how the defense changed as soon as DQ took it over from Smith. This isn't his defense. He's giving Manuel room to grow, but I haven't seen any growth yet. They had a three game stretch to end the year last year, but largely have been no good. Just a line up and go defense. I can call that. He's got to go. Game on the line and your DC calls this:

He should be fire. 3rd & 5 and you send a 3 man rush and you still have guys lost as ****. DQ should get heat for continually green lighting these gameplans and playcalls. That's about it for me on DQ. 

Right now, the way the Falcons are constructed, they are actually in good shape to improve and quickly, thanks to a lost season. Right now, Sark's biggest crutch on offense is the inconsistency of the OL. If you look at the last two weeks to see why scoring is down, you'll quickly see the OL as the culprit. In the last two games, they've given up 5 sacks and 14 hits. Schraeder is washed and needs to be replaced. Garland is solid, but not a RG you build around. Wes has been solid, Jake has been good, and Mack has been fine. But look at the Saints OL for comparison: 

Armstead - Pro Bowler
Peat - First Rounder
Unger - Pro Bowler
Warford - Pro Bowler
Ramcyzk - First Rounder

That's how you not only invest in your OL, but extend your QB's career. Betting on Garland is not a wise bet. Hoping a 31 year old Schraeder bounces back in 2019 is not a bet they even made on Clabo, who was similar and fell off very fast. We don't need WRs, TEs, or RBs. At this point, the only offensive investment to be made is along the OL.

As for the defense, I know people are frustrated with the corners, but the only thing that needs talent is the DL. Period. We have good LBs with Foye now stepping up. Our secondary is pretty set with both our safeties coming back and the continued development of Oliver. Invest in a more vicious DL and now your secondary has help. We don't have enough teeth on the DL. We haven't had the draft/FA capital to go DL like DQ has wanted, but the last time we picked early, we took a pass rusher. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen once more. There are plenty to choose from and this is the deepest draft in a long time. Also, we finally have some cap space (~$28MM) and can make some moves to make more. 

Overall, this roster isn't in terrible shape. DQ has some big coaching changes he needs to take hard looks at and some roster moves he needs to make to come back hot in 2019. Cuz, baby...this one's been cooked for weeks now. Let's just accept it for what it is. 

I totally agree. I've never been on the MM bandwagon. He's another weak link, motivational screamer that doesnt get a lot of mention when we talk about bad staff and coaching.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Quinn’s a mentor to MM. Manuel’s not going anywhere unless Arthur fires him. 

Then he better mentor his *** into calling a better defensive game plan. We seem to be dumbing down the defense to help the backups but it has been counterproductive. 

Vandy likes this

My biggest concerns:

1) OL is a weakness (even accounting for injuries) and Dmitroff has only drafted 1 starting-quality OL in his decade as GM. ONE. There is no empirical evidence that should give anyone confidence that ATL will be able to address its biggest weakness in the draft, which is the preferred method of roster construction for sustained success.

2) I'm not a "fire Quinn" advocate, but i do believe he has a low ceiling in terms of in-game decision making. Too often, bad decisions in terms of clock management, situational awareness, and playcalling have either cost the Falcons games or transformed what were big leads into nailbiters. It's been too frequent to dismiss as just bad luck. Which means that ATL has a smaller margin for error (like injuries, or bad bounces) because "great coaching" is never going to pull a W out of a likely L situation. 

The OL has been subpar under two different coaching regimes. That is a bad sign. 

2 hours ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Then he better mentor his *** into calling a better defensive game plan. We seem to be dumbing down the defense to help the backups but it has been counterproductive. 

You're preaching to the choir, Joey Buto.....

Another Quinn Apologist. Turn the tables on Manuel all you like, but Quinn still doesn't have a f**King clue. Calling that timeout on 3rd and 5 shows you that. That's how we lost the Super Bowl. We were winning, but playing like we were trying to catch up. Call me an idiot. We need a Head Coach that knows what he's doing.

On 11/20/2018 at 6:30 PM, Gold4425 said:

I will give him M M a pass because of the the crippling injuries plus it isnt his fault that DQ and TD wouldn't change their"we are good like we are" refuse to get some mean beef and continued to go with underperforming players. I don't think he had the power to sit  or trade McClain, Duke, Trucant, Vic, Richards etc. One thing I hope moving forward is the FO has been forced to realize you have to have quality depth. Hopefully some of those players who were forced to play will be just that.

The defense's problem is lack of pass rush.  It really doesn't matter whether MM is at the helm or not.  

Faithful Falcon likes this