Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vel

2018 Atlanta Falcons and going forward...

68 posts in this topic

I see a lot of people complaining about the lost season and wanting DQ gone. 

First, you're an idiot if you want DQ gone. This is going to be his first losing season. He's already won more playoff games than Mike Smith did in half the time. It took a ton of injuries to tank this season. That sometimes is not a bad thing. It exposes your flaws while giving you the opportunity to secure a premiere talent you otherwise wouldn't have had the chance to draft without a massive trade up. Want an example? See: San Antonio Spurs. The last time they were putrid, they lost David Robinson for the season, drafted Tim Duncan after it and the rest is history. 

If you think it's a good idea to fire the man who had his team in the SB and the only NFC team to return to the playoffs last year AND win, then you're an emotional idiot. Simply put. Not mincing my words. Look at the Eagles. They went from SB champs to looking like shlt.  The Jags finally got a taste of playoff success and may not even make it back to the playoffs after being close to a SB berth vs NE last year. You can't say that about DQ and the Falcons after blowing the biggest lead in NFL history. That shows you his worth. 

Where I fault DQ is the blind faith he has in his coordinators at times. He had blind faith in Kyle and it worked out. He had blind faith in Sark in 2017 and it bit him. He corrected that by getting Sark help in Greg Knapp and making changes. We see the result. Even after losing Free, Levitre, and Fusco, Sark and the offense have been rolling largely this season. He hasn't done that on defense. Yes, there are a ton of injuries, especially to key players. But you see teams adjust. HeIl, Pedersen lost Wentz and adjusted and won a SB with Nick Foles.

The problem with Manuel is that he's been overly reliant on his talent doing the hard work and heavy lifting and him just rotating through a handful of calls. It's very Mike Smith/BVG like. People killed Sark around here last year, yet you at least see what Sark was trying to do and how he was trying to attack. Even with the jet sweep, that blew everyone's lid. Look at this season. You've seen more jet sweeps from the one ran and scored. You see Sark's overall creativity coming through. Yes, he's had some errors, but you can't say the same for Manuel. It's Cover 3, Cover 1, the occasional nickel blitz, and then dropping 8. It signals to the team that you aren't confident in the hand you've been dealt. You haven't seen him even try to take away a team's best weapon or method of attack. You constantly see our LBs bailing and leaving massive amounts of space, coverages blown, assignments missed. For a simple scheme and only a handful of coverages called, that they've ran since at least high school, it's unacceptable. Honestly, after 32 games, I've seen enough of Manuel to know he isn't cut out to be a coordinator in the NFL. All those complaints yall had for Sark not being an NFL OC, just change them and apply them to Manuel. He's out of his league. Take a look at a guy like Vic Fangio and how he attacks nightly and look at how passive Manuel's scheme is. We saw how the defense changed as soon as DQ took it over from Smith. This isn't his defense. He's giving Manuel room to grow, but I haven't seen any growth yet. They had a three game stretch to end the year last year, but largely have been no good. Just a line up and go defense. I can call that. He's got to go. Game on the line and your DC calls this:

He should be fire. 3rd & 5 and you send a 3 man rush and you still have guys lost as ****. DQ should get heat for continually green lighting these gameplans and playcalls. That's about it for me on DQ. 

Right now, the way the Falcons are constructed, they are actually in good shape to improve and quickly, thanks to a lost season. Right now, Sark's biggest crutch on offense is the inconsistency of the OL. If you look at the last two weeks to see why scoring is down, you'll quickly see the OL as the culprit. In the last two games, they've given up 5 sacks and 14 hits. Schraeder is washed and needs to be replaced. Garland is solid, but not a RG you build around. Wes has been solid, Jake has been good, and Mack has been fine. But look at the Saints OL for comparison: 

Armstead - Pro Bowler
Peat - First Rounder
Unger - Pro Bowler
Warford - Pro Bowler
Ramcyzk - First Rounder

That's how you not only invest in your OL, but extend your QB's career. Betting on Garland is not a wise bet. Hoping a 31 year old Schraeder bounces back in 2019 is not a bet they even made on Clabo, who was similar and fell off very fast. We don't need WRs, TEs, or RBs. At this point, the only offensive investment to be made is along the OL.

As for the defense, I know people are frustrated with the corners, but the only thing that needs talent is the DL. Period. We have good LBs with Foye now stepping up. Our secondary is pretty set with both our safeties coming back and the continued development of Oliver. Invest in a more vicious DL and now your secondary has help. We don't have enough teeth on the DL. We haven't had the draft/FA capital to go DL like DQ has wanted, but the last time we picked early, we took a pass rusher. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen once more. There are plenty to choose from and this is the deepest draft in a long time. Also, we finally have some cap space (~$28MM) and can make some moves to make more. 

Overall, this roster isn't in terrible shape. DQ has some big coaching changes he needs to take hard looks at and some roster moves he needs to make to come back hot in 2019. Cuz, baby...this one's been cooked for weeks now. Let's just accept it for what it is. 

Jarretts going to eat into that 28 mill cap for sure.

Good write up though Vel,I've bitten my tongue on MM but you've covered it pretty well.

DQ I think needs to take more responsibility that side of the ball though even if it means shortening MMs leash.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Honestly I think the days of good defense are long gone. The rules just heavily favor offenses these days. Cant hit the QB, cant hit the receivers, etc. Im pretty sure I just watched a game with 2 teams who didnt even have a defense.

We need a defense that can force a bunch of turnovers, build leads, and hang on. Ala 2016.

Emmitt likes this

We need a fatty on D line. Ala Grady Jackson, Vince Wilfork. Our defense has always worked better with a fatty. Apparently we need another edge rusher since Vic seems to be busting at the seams. 

O line needs upgrades at guards and Right Tackle. Fusco should be back for whatever that’s worth. Hopefully for depth. 

4 hours ago, vel said:

I see a lot of people complaining about the lost season and wanting DQ gone. 

First, you're an idiot if you want DQ gone. This is going to be his first losing season. He's already won more playoff games than Mike Smith did in half the time. It took a ton of injuries to tank this season. That sometimes is not a bad thing. It exposes your flaws while giving you the opportunity to secure a premiere talent you otherwise wouldn't have had the chance to draft without a massive trade up. Want an example? See: San Antonio Spurs. The last time they were putrid, they lost David Robinson for the season, drafted Tim Duncan after it and the rest is history. 

If you think it's a good idea to fire the man who had his team in the SB and the only NFC team to return to the playoffs last year AND win, then you're an emotional idiot. Simply put. Not mincing my words. Look at the Eagles. They went from SB champs to looking like shlt.  The Jags finally got a taste of playoff success and may not even make it back to the playoffs after being close to a SB berth vs NE last year. You can't say that about DQ and the Falcons after blowing the biggest lead in NFL history. That shows you his worth. 

Where I fault DQ is the blind faith he has in his coordinators at times. He had blind faith in Kyle and it worked out. He had blind faith in Sark in 2017 and it bit him. He corrected that by getting Sark help in Greg Knapp and making changes. We see the result. Even after losing Free, Levitre, and Fusco, Sark and the offense have been rolling largely this season. He hasn't done that on defense. Yes, there are a ton of injuries, especially to key players. But you see teams adjust. HeIl, Pedersen lost Wentz and adjusted and won a SB with Nick Foles.

The problem with Manuel is that he's been overly reliant on his talent doing the hard work and heavy lifting and him just rotating through a handful of calls. It's very Mike Smith/BVG like. People killed Sark around here last year, yet you at least see what Sark was trying to do and how he was trying to attack. Even with the jet sweep, that blew everyone's lid. Look at this season. You've seen more jet sweeps from the one ran and scored. You see Sark's overall creativity coming through. Yes, he's had some errors, but you can't say the same for Manuel. It's Cover 3, Cover 1, the occasional nickel blitz, and then dropping 8. It signals to the team that you aren't confident in the hand you've been dealt. You haven't seen him even try to take away a team's best weapon or method of attack. You constantly see our LBs bailing and leaving massive amounts of space, coverages blown, assignments missed. For a simple scheme and only a handful of coverages called, that they've ran since at least high school, it's unacceptable. Honestly, after 32 games, I've seen enough of Manuel to know he isn't cut out to be a coordinator in the NFL. All those complaints yall had for Sark not being an NFL OC, just change them and apply them to Manuel. He's out of his league. Take a look at a guy like Vic Fangio and how he attacks nightly and look at how passive Manuel's scheme is. We saw how the defense changed as soon as DQ took it over from Smith. This isn't his defense. He's giving Manuel room to grow, but I haven't seen any growth yet. They had a three game stretch to end the year last year, but largely have been no good. Just a line up and go defense. I can call that. He's got to go. Game on the line and your DC calls this:

He should be fire. 3rd & 5 and you send a 3 man rush and you still have guys lost as ****. DQ should get heat for continually green lighting these gameplans and playcalls. That's about it for me on DQ. 

Right now, the way the Falcons are constructed, they are actually in good shape to improve and quickly, thanks to a lost season. Right now, Sark's biggest crutch on offense is the inconsistency of the OL. If you look at the last two weeks to see why scoring is down, you'll quickly see the OL as the culprit. In the last two games, they've given up 5 sacks and 14 hits. Schraeder is washed and needs to be replaced. Garland is solid, but not a RG you build around. Wes has been solid, Jake has been good, and Mack has been fine. But look at the Saints OL for comparison: 

Armstead - Pro Bowler
Peat - First Rounder
Unger - Pro Bowler
Warford - Pro Bowler
Ramcyzk - First Rounder

That's how you not only invest in your OL, but extend your QB's career. Betting on Garland is not a wise bet. Hoping a 31 year old Schraeder bounces back in 2019 is not a bet they even made on Clabo, who was similar and fell off very fast. We don't need WRs, TEs, or RBs. At this point, the only offensive investment to be made is along the OL.

As for the defense, I know people are frustrated with the corners, but the only thing that needs talent is the DL. Period. We have good LBs with Foye now stepping up. Our secondary is pretty set with both our safeties coming back and the continued development of Oliver. Invest in a more vicious DL and now your secondary has help. We don't have enough teeth on the DL. We haven't had the draft/FA capital to go DL like DQ has wanted, but the last time we picked early, we took a pass rusher. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen once more. There are plenty to choose from and this is the deepest draft in a long time. Also, we finally have some cap space (~$28MM) and can make some moves to make more. 

Overall, this roster isn't in terrible shape. DQ has some big coaching changes he needs to take hard looks at and some roster moves he needs to make to come back hot in 2019. Cuz, baby...this one's been cooked for weeks now. Let's just accept it for what it is. 

Excellent post.  I agree wholeheartedly.  I also want to mention our OL coach.  I don't even know his name, but I see no improvement in the performance during this season.  I realize that there are injuries, but the timing of zone blocks is sketchy at best.  We don't have top tier OL's, but we certainly pay them well.  We should be getting much more from them. 

Bigbenright likes this

4 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Manual is terrible. And he gets talked about less on this message board than Sark...who is actually performing and doing his job

I know right.. A lot of these people are in complete denial

JD dirtybird21 likes this

9 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Manuel is terrible. And he gets talked about less on this message board than Sark...who is actually performing and doing his job

I started this train 12 months ago after that trash vs MIA, BUF, and CAR in consecutive weeks. People were solely focused on the PPG, but nothing else. He's been terrible. Sark took the offense a step back in year one but bounced back in a major way this year. You can't point to any consistent improvement from Manuel...

8 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Jarretts going to eat into that 28 mill cap for sure.

Good write up though Vel,I've bitten my tongue on MM but you've covered it pretty well.

DQ I think needs to take more responsibility that side of the ball though even if it means shortening MMs leash.

Oh definitely but that will be offset by cutting Vic. No way they are paying that $13MM as of now. DQ has clearly been over finding the talent for the defense (Foye, Senat, Oliver) but he needs to take the reigns of making this defense good. I think once he takes over, he's lost confidence in his DC, which is why Smith was fired. But at this point, we've seen enough. 

7 hours ago, Lowndesfalc said:

We need a fatty on D line. Ala Grady Jackson, Vince Wilfork. Our defense has always worked better with a fatty. Apparently we need another edge rusher since Vic seems to be busting at the seams. 

O line needs upgrades at guards and Right Tackle. Fusco should be back for whatever that’s worth. Hopefully for depth. 

Deadrin Senat. The problem is Manuel, like Mike Smith, seems to think the DL should work in packages. That's why it's been rendered ineffective. The Steelers did it first. The Browns copied and so did the Cowboys. What do you think the Saints are going to do? We've had our players say "we didn't rush much because the offense kept us in our base defense" basically yelling to other teams "WE HAVE NO PASS RUSH UNLESS WE GO NICKEL!!!"

OL is playing backups at both OG spots. Wes is fine, but Garland is not a starter and Schraeder has definitely enrolled in the Tyson Clabo regression plan. Having Jake step up has been huge. 

5 hours ago, etherdome said:

Excellent post.  I agree wholeheartedly.  I also want to mention our OL coach.  I don't even know his name, but I see no improvement in the performance during this season.  I realize that there are injuries, but the timing of zone blocks is sketchy at best.  We don't have top tier OL's, but we certainly pay them well.  We should be getting much more from them. 

Eh... Losing your OGs and having your RT regress is hard to blame on him. That's contributed to the inconsistency of the OL. The fact that the offense hasn't fallen off a cliff given the injuries should be a testament to Morgan's job of having Wes and Garland ready to roll again. 

8 minutes ago, vel said:

I started this train 12 months ago after that trash vs MIA, BUF, and CAR in consecutive weeks. People were solely focused on the PPG, but nothing else. He's been terrible. Sark took the offense a step back in year one but bounced back in a major way this year. You can't point to any consistent improvement from Manuel...

Oh definitely but that will be offset by cutting Vic. No way they are paying that $13MM as of now. DQ has clearly been over finding the talent for the defense (Foye, Senat, Oliver) but he needs to take the reigns of making this defense good. I think once he takes over, he's lost confidence in his DC, which is why Smith was fired. But at this point, we've seen enough. 

Deadrin Senat. The problem is Manuel, like Mike Smith, seems to think the DL should work in packages. That's why it's been rendered ineffective. The Steelers did it first. The Browns copied and so did the Cowboys. What do you think the Saints are going to do? We've had our players say "we didn't rush much because the offense kept us in our base defense" basically yelling to other teams "WE HAVE NO PASS RUSH UNLESS WE GO NICKEL!!!"

OL is playing backups at both OG spots. Wes is fine, but Garland is not a starter and Schraeder has definitely enrolled in the Tyson Clabo regression plan. Having Jake step up has been huge. 

Eh... Losing your OGs and having your RT regress is hard to blame on him. That's contributed to the inconsistency of the OL. The fact that the offense hasn't fallen off a cliff given the injuries should be a testament to Morgan's job of having Wes and Garland ready to roll again. 

People will stay make injury excuses for Manual. But it doesn’t explain the sudden decline in performance for guys like beasley, Tru, and Alford. Manual is way too conservative and isn’t playing to his defenders strengths. KOG pointed out that Beasley is doing a lot of soft rushes due to also having to drop in coverage. His job is more complicated than it should be. If it were simplified, and all he had to do was pass rush, he’d likely be much more effective 

Butudontseeme™ and Vandy like this

9 hours ago, shock said:

The caption is hilarious, but it’s obvious one of those guys has the RB and the other is spying the QB. Not a good look and a dumb play call either way. 

You are correct.  The defense actually looks in good shape on that play. 

If you think comparing football to basketball is a good idea then you're also an idiot.

I don't necessarily want him fired but if you think using an 8-8 season after starting 6-1 and blowing a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl as a defense for the man is a good idea then you're an idiot.

4 hours ago, BraveFalcon11 said:

Dan Quinn is just dumb plain and simple.

Omg the hate on this board for DQ.

He's not dumb, he's just loyal to a fault. 

@vel Outstanding post as usual. Always appreciate your detailed insight. Let's hope this season's failures are lessons the team will learn from and improve upon moving forward.

49 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Omg the hate on this board for DQ.

He's not dumb, he's just loyal to a fault. 

@vel Outstanding post as usual. Always appreciate your detailed insight. Let's hope this season's failures are lessons the team will learn from and improve upon moving forward.

Well he earned it...

This team's defense is bad at communicating, and we see this week after week? It appears as though the fundamentals are not being coached here. If this is the case, then it is on DQ. I don't want DQ gone, but he sure as **** needs to improve the way his team practices, or he will be gone.

Buck stops at DQ, it’s too premature to fire him this year. But he will be shipped out of next year, if 2019 goes down the drain. Time for messages and excuses has past, time to start winning.

1 hour ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

People will stay make injury excuses for Manual. But it doesn’t explain the sudden decline in performance for guys like beasley, Tru, and Alford. Manual is way too conservative and isn’t playing to his defenders strengths. KOG pointed out that Beasley is doing a lot of soft rushes due to also having to drop in coverage. His job is more complicated than it should be. If it were simplified, and all he had to do was pass rush, he’d likely be much more effective 

Exactly. It's a mild coincidence Beasley fell off the moment Manuel took over playcalling. Tru and Alford suddenly play very timid. It's frustrating. That's why I don't buy the injuries excuse. Yes, losing Rico, Neal and Debo is very hard. But you aren't scheming anything and aren't putting your guys in the best positions to win. He's just hoping their natural ability shines. 

Vandy and JD dirtybird21 like this

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

If you think comparing football to basketball is a good idea then you're also an idiot.

I don't necessarily want him fired but if you think using an 8-8 season after starting 6-1 and blowing a 25 point lead in the Super Bowl as a defense for the man is a good idea then you're an idiot.

Lol it's all relative. The Spurs weren't bad. They just had bad luck and benefited greatly from it. The Colts, after Peyton's injury, weren't bad, just lost a HOF QB and "Lucked" up and got Andrew Luck. Fully healthy, this isn't a bad team. Fully healthy, this team is picking in the mid to high 20s where playoff teams pick, far from your franchise players pick in the top 15. The Saints gave up a first rounder last year just to move up for Davenport. I'd rather not. 

And yes, DQ may have an 8-8 season, a blown SB, and other warts on his resume. But let's fire him and hire....Who? Go ahead. 

Vandy likes this