JP

We had our shot. This is a different NFL.

128 posts in this topic

Every single year is its own beast. For a variety of reasons clearly this is not our season. There is no guarantee Kansas City and LA will be playing at this level same time next season, we have seen first hand how things like a change in coordinator, injuries, heartbreaking playoff/superbowl loss can have on a team. Heck, 2018 is not over yeat by any stretch and the football landscape could morph significantly come playoff time.

Geneaut likes this

2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You know what you have to have to throw the ball downfield that hasn’t been mentioned but clearly shown in those pics?

Time to set up and throw with proper form.

If you haven’t noticed recently Matt hasn’t had all day to throw the ball.  Reid has also prioritized offensive line in his teams.

Granted Matt’s not throwing it as far as Mahomes but how many QBS can?

And how many 70 yard bombs did Mahomes throw against the Rams when they were flushing him out of the pocket?

Yea Ryan can't make deep throws. That's why in 2016 the last season he has played behind an above average pass blocking line he led the LEAGUE in Y/A and had the highest QB rating of any QB in balls traveling more than 30 yards through the air.

But who cares?? His deep ball isn't pretty; and that's all that really should be taken into account when judging a QB. Who cares about facts when we have Patrick Mahome highlights to prove Ryan is holding Julio "current all time YPG leader" back. 

falconsd56 likes this

Just the fact that EVERY year Ryan has been in the league his arm has been questioned is proof he has a weak arm. Nobody ever questioned the arm strength of Bartkowski, George, Vick, etc...

10 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Quinn is the right guy for our team. 

Quinn has proven two things.  DRAFT THE SEC and he can pick a good offensive coordinator.   The rest has been garbage...

3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Quinn has proven two things.  DRAFT THE SEC and he can pick a good offensive coordinator.   The rest has been garbage...

Yea, going to the super bowl and then being one game away in back to back years is complete garbage......

On 11/19/2018 at 11:36 PM, Dregenfox said:

Rams-Chiefs looks more like a college football game tbh. What's a defense? 

We beat the rams last year and both teams haven't really changed drastically, except for injuries. 

This current Falcons team can't compete with the Saints, Rams, Chiefs or Steelers of the NFL, with or without their injured players. The newest version of the NFL Power Rankings has the Falcons sitting at 24th in the league.

I think that's exactly where they belong and from what I'm seeing from Quinn, his staff and the FO, not expecting a dramatic turnaround next season. Lots of problems and a coaching staff woefully short on solutions.

I agree, Cheifs, Saints, RAms are top tier offenses.

Then Bears, Eagles, Steelers (in terms of creativity)

Then resnt of NFL.

Edited by BLM

4 hours ago, PokerSteve said:

This current Falcons team can't compete with the Saints, Rams, Chiefs or Steelers of the NFL, with or without their injured players. The newest version of the NFL Power Rankings has the Falcons sitting at 24th in the league.

I think that's exactly where they belong and from what I'm seeing from Quinn, his staff and the FO, not expecting a dramatic turnaround next season. Lots of problems and a coaching staff woefully short on solutions.

Considering the falcons and  saints played a back and fourth OT game i would say the idea that we can't play with them is just silly

If Coleman picks up a blitz we probably win

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

Considering the falcons and  saints played a back and 4th OT game i would say the idea that we can't play with them is just silly

If Coleman picks up a blitz we probably win

We can play the 'If _____ had only made that play, we probably would have won' game all night, but the fact is this team has regressed horribad since that game. The pass rush has never shown up. The weak OL play continues. Dropped passes, wretched rush defense, pathetic tackling, penalties galore, terrible end-game coaching and on and on. 

Sadly, the team you remember that played a decent but losing game at the first of the season is not the team you'll see out there tomorrow. This team has had its best defensive players miss the season and it's caused havoc, which has been further aggravated by poor coaching on and off the field. They're not a good team at the moment, and they know it.

If Payton and the Saints want to smack the Falcons around and embarrass them on national television tomorrow I don't see this Falcons team being able to prevent it. And Payton would relish rubbing Quinn's nose in a televised beat down if he can pull it off. It would be quite the festive occasion for the players too obviously.

If the Falcons don't get completely clowned tomorrow that in itself should be considered a victory of sorts. Anything beyond that, say an actual W, would truly be like gravy on my turkey and dressing. It would also no doubt ease the mind and digestion of one Arthur Blank. We shall see, won't we?

octoslash likes this

3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

We can play the 'If _____ had only made that play, we probably would have won' game all night, but the fact is this team has regressed horribad since that game. The pass rush has never shown up. The weak OL play continues. Dropped passes, wretched rush defense, pathetic tackling, penalties galore, terrible end-game coaching and on and on. 

Sadly, the team you remember that played a decent but losing game at the first of the season is not the team you'll see out there tomorrow. This team has had its best defensive players miss the season and it's caused havoc, which has been further aggravated by poor coaching on and off the field. They're not a good team at the moment, and they know it.

If Payton and the Saints want to smack the Falcons around and embarrass them on national television tomorrow I don't see this Falcons team being able to prevent it. And I think Payton would relish rubbing Quinn's nose in a televised beat down if he can pull it off.

If the Falcons don't get completely clowned tomorrow that in itself should be considered a victory of sorts. Anything beyond that, say an actual W, would truly be like gravy on my turkey and dressing. It would also no doubt ease the mind and digestion of one Arthur Blank. We shall see, won't we?

of course you can play the what if game with any team...that is the nfl the talent gap is razor thin and a few plays shape the course of the game......and it will be like that again.

4 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

If the Falcons don't get completely clowned tomorrow that in itself should be considered a victory of sorts.

This is depressingly true, and so sad considering where we thought this team was headed not six months ago. 

PokerSteve and FuhRealDoh like this

We've got to have the stupidest fan base on the planet. Chiefs and Rams have given up the most explosive plays on defense in the NFL this year and they're offense this year is no better than the Falcons offense was in 2016. Common sense optional thread. I swear people are so stupid.

Maverick likes this

4 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

We've got to have the stupidest fan base on the planet. Chiefs and Rams have given up the most explosive plays on defense in the NFL this year and they're offense this year is no better than the Falcons offense was in 2016. Common sense optional thread. I swear people are so stupid.

Didn't the Falcon D just give up a record-setting 92-yard rushing TD to somebody like only days ago? Or was that my imagination? That seemed pretty explosive from where I was sitting.

47 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Didn't the Falcon D just give up a record-setting 92-yard rushing TD to somebody like only days ago? Or was that my imagination? That seemed pretty explosive from where I was sitting.

Were we not comparing the 2016 Falcons to the 2018 Rams, Chiefs, ect.? Isn't that the topic? How those teams are supposedly so much more superior than the 2016 Falcons were and how they would blow the 2016 Falcons off the field?

Also, nevermind the stat I saw yesterday. Most explosive plays given up in the NFL (15 yard runs, 20 yard passes), Chiefs and Rams were 1 and 2. Falcons weren't even in the bottom 5 listed.

6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Were we not comparing the 2016 Falcons to the 2018 Rams, Chiefs, ect.? Isn't that the topic? How those teams are supposedly so much more superior than the 2016 Falcons were and how they would blow the 2016 Falcons off the field?

Yes, that is the main topic but I was addressing the sub-topic. But as far as the Saints, Rams and Chiefs offenses now compared to us in 2016, if one or more those teams' offenses don't end up statistically better than us I'll be very surprised.

20 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Also, nevermind the stat I saw yesterday. Most explosive plays given up in the NFL (15 yard runs, 20 yard passes), Chiefs and Rams were 1 and 2. Falcons weren't even in the bottom 5 listed.

Yup...we actually do not give up that many big plays.

he'll i don't think brees threw a more than 2 or 3 balls past 15 yards the last time we played......death by 1000 cuts

Falconsfan567 likes this

On 11/19/2018 at 11:28 PM, kiwifalcon said:

This KC and Rams game is a joke.

How is it a joke?  Scoring 50+ points for each team is a joke?  Never go full returd. 

If you want to know what a real joke is, how about only scoring 16 points vs Cleveland and 19 vs Dallas.  That is a good joke right there.

On 11/20/2018 at 0:28 AM, kiwifalcon said:

Why worry about what he's going to get resigned for.

That a way to ignore the salary cap.

One only needs to look at the maniac commissioner Roger Goodell to explain the current state of the NFL.  The guy is obsessed with the idea of turning the league into a big bunch of excitement rather than a display of athletic skill.  

Both LA and KC have great RB's that could be used to control the ball but instead they pass like crazy (note that Gurley and Hunt both had bad subpar fantasy weeks).  Ryan had 50+ pass attempts a couple of weeks ago and can play this way too, but the Falcons do not need him to if they use their running game (like Dallas did against them).

Edited by jlrfalcon

You gotta follow the money. I'm convinced the league and networks are in cahoots to make it easier to score and come back from a deficit so that NO lead is essentially safe. This is for one reason and one reason only. To keep the games more competitive longer so that viewers will stay tuned in longer, generating more ad revenue.

This even goes to the officiating. It's painful how New England got almost EVERY call in the 2nd half of that Super Bowl. That was for a reason. The NFL was facing its worst nightmare. A Super Bowl where half the viewers tuned out in the 4th quarter because the game was O-V-E-R. The officials played their part in keeping the game close. Or close enough without being too blatant.

Can you imagine paying $1M for a 30 second ad and realizing the number of eyeballs on your precious commercial was cut in half? The league can no longer afford that risk. And we all know too painfully well how that one bit us in the ***. Once the Pats got on a roll, we couldn't stop them. But the league had their story. Tom Brady, GOAT, and greatest comeback in SB history. And overtime to boot.

Super Bowls in the early years were mostly blowouts. The league caught a lot of flak for it. Not anymore. And the same thing applies to other games. The margin of victory is shrinking. By design.

This is also why the league LOVES fantasy football. It gets people to watch more games that they otherwise have no interest in. Because they have a player on their fantasy team. It also gets people who would never watch football AT ALL to watch. Same reason.

And all this goes full circle back to the scoring. More points, more fantasy points. More touchdowns, more highlights for ESPN to show us with our 15 second attention spans. More penalties on the defenders. More offense.

Personally I think one of the greatest games in modern history was the 6-3 Bama LSU game several years back. A tightrope thriller with two stifling defenses. But those games are rapidly disappearing. As well as the running game. Nobody wants to watch "highlights" of 18 runs for 23 yards. It requires too much time. And what is there to show?

Does anyone remember the "Chicks dig the long ball" commercial that Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz did several years ago? There ya have it. Pitching? Defense??? Heck no. Today's casual fans want spectacular home runs, deep TD throws, and high scoring excitement.

It is what it is. Or what it is becoming. It is still a sport. Still a competition. But much more designed to be entertainment than either of the other.

5 hours ago, dawgsjw said:

That a way to ignore the salary cap.

Of course I'm going to ignore it.

I don't have all the information to have a qualified opinion about it so why would I worry about it.

9/10 on here wouldn't have the foggiest idea about it and speculation is for the most part is what's posted.

5 hours ago, dawgsjw said:

How is it a joke?  Scoring 50+ points for each team is a joke?  Never go full returd. 

If you want to know what a real joke is, how about only scoring 16 points vs Cleveland and 19 vs Dallas.  That is a good joke right there.

Defense is optional that's why it's  a joke.

We give it to our defense for stuff that's done poorly but if you've got teams going up n down the field like those 2 where you can best believe these defenses are laying turds.

Rams giving up 40 plus with a dline loaded with first round picks and yet everyone here jumps all over our guys and our defense that's had the middle gutted with injuries yeah ok that's consistent.

I believe TATF is overestimating the readiness of our OLine and DLine. They are average at best. Coming into this season many here claimed our Oline was Top 5. Laughable. Even before the injuries. TATF also thought we wouldn't miss Clay and Poe. We do. This is what you get folks when you have a GM that couldn't put together a complete OLine and front seven after trying 11 times. Troffed again. Dimi will be faced with major roster decisions next year and will be up against the cap again. If he screws up he should be fired, albeit five years late.