JP

We had our shot. This is a different NFL.

128 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, JP said:

Even with our starters, can you really see us hanging with these three teams? I think if we play a near perfect game we could make it a game, but I don't even think it's a matter of talent, but more game plan, execution, and football IQ. 

I think some forget how good our D was..just look at what we did to the rams and Philly who both had top notch offenses last year

Halcon-1, JDaveG, falconsd56 and 1 other like this

7 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

I think some forget how good our D was..just look at what we did to the rams and Philly who both had top notch offenses last year

Idk man. There's been some ugliness under the hood that showed up due to these injuries.

Alford is either playing injured or got old fast. Trufant was never that great and looks like a flat out quitter out there. Beasley has to have his job threatened to put forth any effort. We are desperately thin at LB. I think we miss Poe and Claiborne more than ANYONE will ever admit.

Only Kazee and Takk have been bright spots. 

JP likes this

2 minutes ago, since68andcounting said:

Idk man. There's been some ugliness under the hood that showed up due to these injuries.

Alford is either playing injured or got old fast. Trufant was never that great and looks like a flat out quitter out there. Beasley has to have his job threatened to put forth any effort. We are desperately thin at LB. I think we miss Poe and Claiborne more than ANYONE will ever admit.

Clayborne only showed up for one game last year..I think we are missing Jones, Neal, and Rico more than you want to admitt

1 hour ago, JP said:

Watching this Rams-Chiefs game after our last two games, I'm feeling like 2016 might be our only shot for a very long time. We were healthy almost the entire year and the elite teams in the league look way more legit than they did in '16. The Saints, Chiefs, and Rams would absolutely destroy us on a neutral field and I think we'd struggle mightily versus the Pats, Bears, Texans, (perhaps even Colts), and obviously the Steelers. We don't even look like we are playing the same brand of football. These teams come prepared to play, week in, week out. Their game plans are tight, the coaches seem to be dialed in, and there seems to be a different level of discipline and fire than we exhibit weekly. 

I personally feel this is bigger than Neal, Rico, and Debo. Not trying to be a downer, but unless we make some brilliant offseason moves and get an in-game manager, I just can't see us hanging with the NFL's elite anytime soon.

This is not a different NFL...it's just has good teams that have good records and ones that have bad records. Some teams are not as good as they were last year....stop trippin'

2 hours ago, JP said:

Even with our starters, can you really see us hanging with these three teams?

We literally just "hung with" the Saints a few weeks ago missing 3 starting defensive pieces.

Vandy likes this

3 hours ago, Dregenfox said:

Rams-Chiefs looks more like a college football game tbh. What's a defense? 

We beat the rams last year and both teams haven't really changed drastically, except for injuries. 

To suggest that the Rams haven't changed drastically is just wrong. They added a ton of new players and their quarterback is a totally different player. They would destroy us.

3 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I don't think the defense would have been that good if everyone stayed healthy.

They were too thin up front and the corners have been up and down all season.

And the offense hasn't been consistent. 

2016 was the shot.  The Falcons need to re-tool and this is not looking like a quick fix either.  Lots of holes have started to emerge.

Couldn't agree more. I think everyone thinks that with Rico, Debo, and Neal we would be a top 5 D. I just don't see it, at all. We get zero pressure on opposing QBs. Trufant still wouldn't be able to catch. Alford would still be meat. 

ZoneOne01 and ParanoidAndroid like this

2 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

I agree. Our window is definitely closing, if not closed.

Its gonna go from Brady, Rogers, Brees to Goff, Mahomes, Watson. It's skipping right over us.

When you have your shot, you better grab it. It may not come again.

That is my point exactly. Nailed it. We had our shot. I rewatched the Super Bowl AGAIN last night. 28-3 with 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. SUPER BOWL. All we had to do was execute on a few plays and we win. All we had to was run three times and kick, and we win. Our coaches, actually a worse coaching staff now but with the same egghead head coach, blew it. I just can't see this regime bouncing back to win it all. I hope they prove me wrong. 

I really want to see how the Bears D goes against one of the Rams, Chiefs, Saints before any sweeping declarations of a different NFL are made.

JP likes this

1 hour ago, Falcons32 said:

This is not a different NFL...it's just has good teams that have good records and ones that have bad records. Some teams are not as good as they were last year....stop trippin'

I disagree. I think the high-powered teams are distancing themselves from the rest of the pack. Kind of reminds me of the NBA. I see the Rams and Chiefs being juggernauts for a long time coming. Compare them to the Warriors and Cavs from past few years. The Chiefs very well may be the next Patriots. 

4 hours ago, JP said:

Watching this Rams-Chiefs game after our last two games, I'm feeling like 2016 might be our only shot for a very long time. We were healthy almost the entire year and the elite teams in the league look way more legit than they did in '16. The Saints, Chiefs, and Rams would absolutely destroy us on a neutral field and I think we'd struggle mightily versus the Pats, Bears, Texans, (perhaps even Colts), and obviously the Steelers. We don't even look like we are playing the same brand of football. These teams come prepared to play, week in, week out. Their game plans are tight, the coaches seem to be dialed in, and there seems to be a different level of discipline and fire than we exhibit weekly. 

I personally feel this is bigger than Neal, Rico, and Debo. Not trying to be a downer, but unless we make some brilliant offseason moves and get an in-game manager, I just can't see us hanging with the NFL's elite anytime soon.

It is not just in-game management.  Our coaches are not preparing players for a championship.  Sloppy play is common on this team.  BB wins because he prepares his team year round.  Quinn just "motivates" them with Navy Seal slogans.  

JP and Vandy like this

2 hours ago, JP said:

That is my point exactly. Nailed it. We had our shot. I rewatched the Super Bowl AGAIN last night. 28-3 with 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. SUPER BOWL. All we had to do was execute on a few plays and we win. All we had to was run three times and kick, and we win. Our coaches, actually a worse coaching staff now but with the same egghead head coach, blew it. I just can't see this regime bouncing back to win it all. I hope they prove me wrong. 

Im not sure why the Falcons sold out like that at the SB but for what ever reason they did it didn't pay off...

It seems the Falcons, are cursed, to get to the Superbowl, or near to it, every 18 years. See, 1980 NFCCG with Steve Bartkowski, 1998 SB with Bob Chandler, 2016 SB with Matt Ryan and 2034 with ??? I am 66 now, in 2034 I will be 82. Well, that is our next window. I hope I am still alive and we win it all. Then, I will be able to Rest In Peace (R.I.P.) with my Lombardi.

JP likes this

5 hours ago, JP said:

Couldn't agree more. I think everyone thinks that with Rico, Debo, and Neal we would be a top 5 D. I just don't see it, at all. We get zero pressure on opposing QBs. Trufant still wouldn't be able to catch. Alford would still be meat. 

As always this team falls apart because of the OL and DL. Our skill players would actually be much better with a solid OL and DL and when we get injuries in our skill positions it just exposes how bad we are on both lines.

Until this franchise makes a real long term effort to make our OL and DL a strength this time will never win a SB and always fall short.

7 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

Where has takk been the last 3 weeks? Dude has been a ghost

Vandy likes this

We are not in the Rams, the Chiefs and the Saints league this year. The NFL is changing on purpose, it is an offensive driven league. We had it our way in 2016 but Shanny went selfish and DQ wouldn't stop him. Like the post stated "This is bigger then injuries." I know some are excited about next year BUT what team isn't. It's gonna take a miracle!

3 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

As always this team falls apart because of the OL and DL. Our skill players would actually be much better with a solid OL and DL and when we get injuries in our skill positions it just exposes how bad we are on both lines.

Until this franchise makes a real long term effort to make our OL and DL a strength this time will never win a SB and always fall short.

Easily the most underrated post of the topic convo.... with a good d line, our corners and safeties will automatically look better.... with a good o line, our running game will set up endless possibilities to our passing/screen game. Tevin Coleman averaged what 7 ypc last game and only got 8 carries? 

Game planning and preparation seem to be lacking for us as well. DQ needs to get back to his forte and call the defense. Sark and Knapp need to have backup plans for when things aren't clicking. 

We need more accountability and discipline. We are the tested repeat-playoff team but play like amateurs out there. 

8 hours ago, KRUNKuno said:

Rams have some of the best defensive players you can have in the league.  They’ve gotten defensive stops, turnovers, scores, etc.  This is an extremely offensive driven league now.  We call our offensive plays like it’s 2015.  No stretching the field vertically whatsoever.

The Rams run the same offense as us, yet the plays are called more aggressively and creatively.

I think the Falcons try to stretch the field - but our OL without 2 starting guards can't handle the blocking long enough to let the play develop.   When Ryan is passing downfield - most of the time he's doing so over a defenders hand in his face or as he's being hit.    Further, we have a terrible run game with the OL missing starters and our starting RB out as well.   This makes the task of stretching the field even more difficult.      Todd Gurley is a threat in any game where he is standing on the field.    Makes it a bit easier to set up those long shots.

Quinn is agressive - sometimes too aggressive.   We just don't have the healthy players on the field to execute well enough to win.

McVay was bailed out several times by his awesome, healthy defense.

ok_falcons_fan likes this

I totally agree with the OP. I said to my wife after only watching 10 minutes of the Rams-Chiefs game:

These guys are playing with an energy, excitement, speed, and drive that the Falcons are sorely missing. The think the NFL game has passed Atlanta by.

Black Francis and JP like this

7 hours ago, since68andcounting said:

Thing is, it's all symbiotic.  You can't say "we had some injuries and Tru and Alford forgot how to play."  They're almost certainly being asked to do more in the absence of Neal, Jones and Allen. If one part of the defense is weak, then the defense itself is weakened.  When fully a quarter of the starting defense is out, and that quarter is comprised of back 7 players and Pro Bowlers, it's going to have an impact on everything -- pass rush, outside coverage, run game.  It all suffers.

ok_falcons_fan likes this

4 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

I totally agree with the OP. I said to my wife after only watching 10 minutes of the Rams-Chiefs game:

These guys are playing with an energy, excitement, speed, and drive that the Falcons are sorely missing. The think the NFL game has passed Atlanta by.

This team isn’t even close under the current regime. New quality leadership? Then maybe I can see a relatively quick bounce back into the discussion of teams to beat as long as Ryan still has something and they up the tempo, but these young men were making throws that Ryan consistently fails at making. 

GhostofGritz and JP like this

The game is evolving away from defense and into who ever gets the ball last can win. This makes the game exciting with close matchups and high scoring games, but it seems some coaching staffs aren't quite getting the memo. You need to almost put together a game plan for the final two minutes that is basically different than anything you've ever done before. 

The Falcons should be built for this, but lack the killer instinct to finish.

Until Matt and JJ are no longer teammates I always give the Falcons a puncher's chance. TD and Quinn appear to have the ability to pluck talent out of the draft consistently so holes get plugged. Injury bug grabbed us hard this year and wouldn't let go, and it's hard to field a team where you are plugging multiple replacements into the starting 22 at the same time.

Very few of us saw 2016 coming.