JP

We had our shot. This is a different NFL.

128 posts in this topic

Watching this Rams-Chiefs game after our last two games, I'm feeling like 2016 might be our only shot for a very long time. We were healthy almost the entire year and the elite teams in the league look way more legit than they did in '16. The Saints, Chiefs, and Rams would absolutely destroy us on a neutral field and I think we'd struggle mightily versus the Pats, Bears, Texans, (perhaps even Colts), and obviously the Steelers. We don't even look like we are playing the same brand of football. These teams come prepared to play, week in, week out. Their game plans are tight, the coaches seem to be dialed in, and there seems to be a different level of discipline and fire than we exhibit weekly. 

I personally feel this is bigger than Neal, Rico, and Debo. Not trying to be a downer, but unless we make some brilliant offseason moves and get an in-game manager, I just can't see us hanging with the NFL's elite anytime soon.

Edited by JP

Even with our starters, can you really see us hanging with these three teams? I think if we play a near perfect game we could make it a game, but I don't even think it's a matter of talent, but more game plan, execution, and football IQ. 

Halcon-1 and PokerSteve like this

Yep I can.I bet our defense at full strength doesn't give up 45 points to either of these teams offenses.

We played the Saints who have much the same injured to **** and what did they get 37 odd in OT.

Rams-Chiefs looks more like a college football game tbh. What's a defense? 

We beat the rams last year and both teams haven't really changed drastically, except for injuries. 

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yep I can.I bet our defense at full strength doesn't give up 45 points to either of these teams offenses.

We played the Saints who have much the same injured to **** and what did they get 37 odd in OT.

and since then have more or less held their opponents under 20 points

saints4life25 likes this

Rams have some of the best defensive players you can have in the league.  They’ve gotten defensive stops, turnovers, scores, etc.  This is an extremely offensive driven league now.  We call our offensive plays like it’s 2015.  No stretching the field vertically whatsoever.

The Rams run the same offense as us, yet the plays are called more aggressively and creatively.

4 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I don't think the defense would have been that good if everyone stayed healthy.

They were too thin up front and the corners have been up and down all season.

And the offense hasn't been consistent. 

2016 was the shot.  The Falcons need to re-tool and this is not looking like a quick fix either.  Lots of holes have started to emerge.

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I don't think the defense would have been that good if everyone stayed healthy.

They were too thin up front and the corners have been up and down all season.

And the offense hasn't been consistent. 

2016 was the shot.  The Falcons need to re-tool and this is not looking like a quick fix either.  Lots of holes have started to emerge.

It easy to say because we aren't playing well so I understand your angst.

I think we have enough talent here to go with anyone in the league when we aren't as beat up as we are.

Look at all these defensive mistakes both the Rams and Chiefs are making.

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

It easy to say because we aren't playing well so I understand your angst.

I think we have enough talent here to go with anyone in the league when we aren't as beat up as we are.

Look at all these defensive mistakes both the Rams and Chiefs are making.

Yes but they have something the Falcons don't.

More than one guy that can rush the passer.

And their offenses are sooo good they can overcome a lot of mistakes.  The 2016 Falcons had an offense like that.  The 2017 and 2018 do not.

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yes but they have something the Falcons don't.

More than one guy that can rush the passer.

And their offenses are sooo good they can overcome a lot of mistakes.  The 2016 Falcons had an offense like that.  The 2017 and 2018 do not.

That doesn't matter we have enough talent to go head to head with anyone.

We proved that last year in the playoffs when our defense had there way with that Rams offense.

I don't know why the Falcons at full strength playing well would be worried about anyone.

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

We proved that last year in the playoffs when our defense had there way with that Rams offense.

I don't know why the Falcons at full strength playing well would be worried about anyone.

Falcons as a team havent played well since 2016.  You’re asking for a lot.  Offensive magic, a defense with a pass rush, and good coaching.  If all teams were at full strength this year, the Falcons still would not be able to keep up.  We have glaring holes.

JP, sdogg and vitaman like this

That was last year and when the defense had more depth on the dline. This isn't the same team.

The Falcons may have talent but they couldn't beat the Browns and barely beat the Giants and Bucs

sdogg and JP like this

1 minute ago, KRUNKuno said:

Falcons as a team havent played well since 2016.  You’re asking for a lot.  Offensive magic, a defense with a pass rush, and good coaching.  If all teams were at full strength this year, the Falcons still would not be able to keep up.  We have glaring holes.

I've seen enough improvement in Sarkisian this year to suggest it could be  a possibility.

I disagree with that I think we are as talented as the best in the league we just haven't produced or played to our ability.

Its easy to say or talk up the others when your not going well yourselves.

2017 even as rough as the offense went we were 1 game from the big game that too me says a lot.

Artys Arryn likes this

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

That was last year and when the defense had more depth on the dline. This isn't the same team.

The Falcons may have talent but they couldn't beat the Browns and barely beat the Giants and Bucs

For what reasons though your comparing what we were last year to an injured under performed team this year.

I bet when we get everyone back this is a very different team.

NFL changes every year. Look to the playoff turnover for proof. Only college allows for true dynasties. 

We need to regroup, reload, and see where we are at the end of next year. If it's bad, then start talking major changes.

For what reasons though your comparing what we were last year to an injured under performed team this year.

I bet when we get everyone back this is a very different team.

You're right it will be.

Sanu and Alford have a very good shot of not being on the team anymore.  Schrader is looking like he might be done sooner than later.  Reed is probably gone.  Are they keeping Levitre and Fusco or try an upgrade?  How much is it going to cost them to re-sign Grady.

It will be a much different team next year.

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You're right it will be.

Sanu and Alford have a very good shot of not being on the team anymore.  Schrader is looking like he might be done sooner than later.  Reed is probably gone.  Are they keeping Levitre and Fusco or try an upgrade?  How much is it going to cost them to re-sign Grady.

It will be a much different team next year.

Reed and Shelby are on there last year's and one year respectively  could be gone.

For me I'd keep Sanu Alford.

Levitre Fusco and Schraeder there could be 2 of those guys gone.

Jarrett isn't going anywhere he'll get resigned.

Ergo Proxy and Big_Dog like this

Guy's there is one common denominator here, brilliant offensive mind. Creates mismatch and great play calling. We had that at one time with shanny. Goff was labeled a bust just a couple of years ago until McVay came to the city of angels. Welcome to the not your pops NFL. Who needs defense? Well maybe Atl.

Kayoh, Halcon-1, NCFalconfan and 1 other like this

Reed and Shelby are on there last year's and one year respectively  could be gone.

For me I'd keep Sanu Alford.

Levitre Fusco and Schraeder there could be 2 of those guys gone.

Jarrett isn't going anywhere he'll get resigned.

I didn't say he was going anywhere.

I was asking how much will it cost to resign him.

Do you understand the leverage his agent has?  He can ask for the moon and he'll get it.  Somebody will pay if the Falcons don't

I agree. Our window is definitely closing, if not closed.

Its gonna go from Brady, Rogers, Brees to Goff, Mahomes, Watson. It's skipping right over us.

When you have your shot, you better grab it. It may not come again.

JP likes this

Even as a big-time pessimist, I still believe we have another few years in our ‘window’. Draft defense, get some FA Oline help and we can hang with anybody.  The only thing I worry about is the teams psyche - will the 28-3 disaster linger for years and years? Such a dark cloud to get out from. Beating the Saints would give me some glimmer of hope that this franchise still has some grit to compete for a championship next year....

Edited by NoTalentAssClown
JP likes this

18 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I didn't say he was going anywhere.

I was asking how much will it cost to resign him.

Do you understand the leverage his agent has?  He can ask for the moon and he'll get it.  Somebody will pay if the Falcons don't

Why worry about what he's going to get resigned for.

Who cares whose got leverage all I know is he's going to stay a Falcon.

I let people who are paid to worry about do exactly that.

HASHBROWN3 likes this