60 posts in this topic

Interesting stats for sure. Ever since the Super Bowl debacle, it feels like Quinn is unsure of when to play conservative and when to be aggressive. Our actions are so different game to game. Some games we play aggressive and others we are just trying to hold on for dear life. 

I can’t tell you how many times we have been up 2 scores late and have to barely hold on for the win.

25 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

I find this interesting. I'm going to leave this here. 

Feel free to discuss your thoughts and I'll chime in later. 

bad

One could reason it's pretty simple.

Smith had Turner in his prime to run the ball and close out games.

Falcons can score more now, but we can't run the ball and can't control leads the way a run first offense can.

On top of that, outside of 2017 our scoring D has been terrible. This year it's the injuries. We would be at least middle of the pack in scoring D with Debo and Neal.

Tie that in with a run game lead by Turner compared to our what...dead last rush offense this year?

Those things effect how many times you wind up in situations where leads are blown.

On the other hand, you have to be in the lead or not need a comeback at the last second to have not 'lost a lead'.

We required many comebacks at times under Smith. With DQ, we just can't protect leads without a better run game now. D needs players back that are difference makers. It all matters.

The situational stuff is more than just being good or bad as a coach. People gotta stop spinning things without further context. Otherwise, it's just driving at an agenda.

You would like to think at some point the team would get a bigger back and maybe invest a bit more in an offensive line where maybe we could run and hold a 2nd half lead.

It's been pointed out that it's always something with us... When the offense is on fire, the defense is a sieve. When the defense shows up, the offense tanks.

The same thing is true with our offense as it stands alone. We can score a lot but can't do a thing to hold a lead because we can't pound away in the 2nd half. This was true even with our record breaking offense of 2016. 

We can wash this year away in a sea of injuries and give the organization all sorts of accolades for putting together a good team if those injuries hadn't happened. However... this issue dates back to before we had an injury problem, and for as good as we might be/were... whatever; we seem to have a balance issue. 

I certainly wouldn't want a return to Smitty ball and Mularkey offense, but we've got to get a balance somewhere closer to the middle of that extreme and the extreme we are now.

... and just a return of a healthy Freeman isn't going to do it.. not with this joke of an offensive line... and we really were not appreciably better grinding yards out on the ground with Fusco and Levitre healthy.

7979 and rednblack attack like this

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Falcons can score more now, but we can't run the ball and can't control leads the way a run first offense can.

On top of that, outside of 2017 our scoring D has been terrible. This year it's the injuries. We would be at least middle of the pack in scoring D with Debo and Neal.

Tie that in with a run game lead by Turner compared to our what...dead last rush offense this year?

Those things effect how many times you wind up in situations where leads are blown.

On the other hand, you have to be in the lead or not need a comeback at the last second to have not 'lost a lead'.

We required many comebacks at times under Smith. With DQ, we just can't protect leads without a better run game now. D needs players back that are difference makers. It all matters.

The situational stuff is more than just being good or bad as a coach. People gotta stop spinning things without further context. Otherwise, it's just driving at an agenda.

To be fair Smitty also had the one thing Quinn has not.

A bona fide primo pass rusher.

And let’s not forget.  McKay had to trade a 1st rounder to get him.

Pass rushers aren’t easy to find. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

Needless to say this is not good for Quinn, but Smith didn’t get fired for blowing 4th quarter leads. He got fired for just getting blown out from the beginning and never having a lead to squander. 

14 minutes ago, Summerhill said:

Needless to say this is not good for Quinn, but Smith didn’t get fired for blowing 4th quarter leads. He got fired for just getting blown out from the beginning and never having a lead to squander. 

Smitty also swept the Saints on his way out.

Flying Falcon likes this

This is bad.  Spin it all you want but this is bad.

Injuries on defense are a factor this year but I'm not going to give Quinn and Manuel a pass for a lot of what we're seeing.

I do think about what our defense looked like last season though (especially as the season wore on) and want to think we're capable of getting back to that but I have some huge question marks on DQ.  Starting to feel like he's going to be a slightly better version of Smitty.

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

To be fair Smitty also had the one thing Quinn has not.

A bona fide primo pass rusher.

And let’s not forget.  McKay had to trade a 1st rounder to get him.

Pass rushers aren’t easy to find. 

Definitely.

The invest in oline makes me laugh aswell you think pass rushers are hard to find OT and OGs are just as hard to find.

Ergo Proxy likes this

3 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Definitely.

The invest in oline makes me laugh aswell you think pass rushers are hard to find OT and OGs are just as hard to find.

I've seen the Falcons have more success finding olinemen.

You can find decent offensive linemen in free agency.  The Falcons managed to find decent tackles, guards, and center recently.

Good pass rushers are much harder to find.  Or at least they have been for the Falcons.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Just now, Sun Tzu 7 said:

I've seen the Falcons have more success finding olinemen.

You can find decent offensive linemen in free agency.  The Falcons managed to find decent tackles, guards, and center recently.

Good pass rushers are much harder to find.  Or at least they have been for the Falcons.

Yeah for the most part you have to pay for the good ones though that's the kicker.FA or the draft.We are never going to be a big spender in FA with the talent we have.

Olineman aren't easy to find there just not the good one side don't hit FA there kept for the most part.

2 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yeah for the most part you have to pay for the good ones though that's the kicker.FA or the draft.We are never going to be a big spender in FA with the talent we have.

Olineman aren't easy to find there just not the good one side don't hit FA there kept for the most part.

The Saints seem to have done a good job of it.  They don't f around when it comes to the oline

8 hours ago, mqg96 said:

I find this interesting. I'm going to leave this here. 

Feel free to discuss your thoughts and I'll chime in later. 

We can not run the ball.  What I mean is that we can not rely on running the ball in short yardage situations.  We don't have the OL to make it happen.  Hence, we do not possess the ball much and leave our D out there too long.  Fatigue sets in and opposing offenses eat us alive. 

OL, it's the OL.  

8 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

That is a bad stat.  We've always said around here there are no halftime adjustments.  I'd rather be bad in the 1st half and come out like gangbusters in the second half...finish strong!

If that was the case we'd be speaking a different language right now.

9 hours ago, Ergo Proxy said:

But we have backs, and we don't run the ball. Under Smitty, his first 2 years, we were a run first team. We drafted Julio to go with Roddy and Gonzo, and became pick your poison. We needed to develop a stronger passing game, but still should never neglect the run. You can never outsmart your opponent being a one trick pony.

Vandy and Ergo Proxy like this

I thought DQ was the one until 28-3 and everything after . He took off like a bat out of **** and been on a nose dive ever since . He’ll be canned the year after next and I cannot wait . I just hope our drafts don’t get squandered. Give me Harbaugh or Kubiak . Quinn isn’t it . 

rogueleadersf likes this