Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Malachore

4 of last 6 years.

70 posts in this topic

I've been reading over the past few weeks how this fan base is spoiled. No playoffs 4 out of the last 6 years which includes starting 6-1 only to miss the playoffs and the team responsible for the single biggest collapse since the Roman Empire.

We aren't spoiled, we're traumatized and fed up.

Edited by Malachore
Historical facts
slamee101, Vandy, JeffAtl and 10 others like this

2 minutes ago, Jesus said:

Spoiled maybe in the context of Falcon history, probably. 

You mean like "back in my day we called 5 wins successful"?

I've been a fan since '96 so idk those years.

Definitely spoiled. Especially regarding many things that are not happening on the field. A lot of people let success get stuck inside their brains and expect the same results every single year while not attempting to look at the bigger issues year after year. Then you get a year like this and all of a sudden the torches are out but there's still those 3 people who think every game is a win. It is what it is though

Flying Falcon and Andrews_31 like this

6 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Definitely spoiled. Especially regarding many things that are not happening on the field. A lot of people let success get stuck inside their brains and expect the same results every single year while not attempting to look at the bigger issues year after year. Then you get a year like this and all of a sudden the torches are out but there's still those 3 people who think every game is a win. It is what it is though

What success, being a good team 2 of 6 years? We might have been spoiled during Smitty's early days but this current regime has done nothing but make a joke of this franchise.

2016 fooled us, not spoil.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

17 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

We weren’t the first team to start 5-0 and miss the playoffs, but yeah the whole spoiled thing is dumb. Compared to other falcon teams of history, yes. But compared to our recent history, no. 

I'm fairly certain we were, I know the Vikes did it the following year.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

I'm fairly certain we were, I know the Vikes did it the following year.

Multiple teams did it before Atlanta.

Just now, Peyton said:

Multiple teams did it before Atlanta.

I'll take your word for it, starting 6-1 and finished 8-8 is a massive fail regardless. 

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

What success, being a good team 2 of 6 years? We might have been spoiled during Smitty's early days but this current regime has done nothing but make a joke of this franchise.

Considering it goes back to then(see where I said "A lot of people let success get stuck inside their brains and expect the same results every single year") , that type of success is the expectation amongst the fan base. Especially on this site. If you don't think so, you aren't paying attention yearly. Even with the success this team has had glaring issues but it was hidden by ugly wins week in and week out and it was accepted by the fan base because it was a "W". This didn't just start, it's just sticking out like a sore thumb now because you have a head coach who looks like he's never had to manage a game in his life.

Flying Falcon and roguebeaver like this

2 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Considering it goes back to then(see where I said "A lot of people let success get stuck inside their brains and expect the same results every single year") , that type of success is the expectation amongst the fan base. Especially on this site. If you don't think so, you aren't paying attention yearly. Even with the success this team has had glaring issues but it was hidden by ugly wins week in and week out and it was accepted by the fan base because it was a "W". This didn't just start, it's just sticking out like a sore thumb now because you have a head coach who looks like he's never had to manage a game in his life.

I 100% agree with you on this, we've seen the ugly wins even in the SB season but we'll have to agree to disagree about being spoiled. The last 6 years have been a cluster****. 

I don't think fan expectations = spolied though. To me spoiled will be Patriots fans when Brady/BB are gone. This franchise has given us nothing to be spolied over, maybe player potential but that's it.

Flying Falcon likes this

It seems to me like you especially crafted the time frame to suit your complaint.  The Falcons are the only team in the NFC that went to the playoffs in 2016 and 2017, so comparatively speaking they are doing pretty well.  The Falcons had two bad seasons in 2013 and 2014, and they made a big change as a result. What do you want them to do?  Fire the coach every time they have some bad luck and have a bad season?

The Falcons have been to the playoffs in 6 of the last 10 completed seasons.  Prior to that, they went to the playoffs 8 times in 43 seasons.

This is not a franchise that has been performing poorly.

Just now, Malachore said:

I 100% agree with you on this, we've seen the ugly wins even in the SB season but we'll have to agree to disagree about being spoiled. The last 6 years have been a cluster****. 

I don't think fan expectations = spolied though. To me spoiled will be Patriots fans when Brady/BB are gone. This franchise has given us nothing to be spolied over, maybe player potential but that's it.

Think of the reactions entering every season and during the season. The expectations are extremely high every single year, mainly because of the Smitty era regular season success and having #2 at QB and knowing what he has been capable of his entire career when it comes to game winners. Fans overvalue the **** out of players because of that and expect nothing but greatness then cries like brats when a single mistake is made. Take Ridley letting that ball bounce off his hands into the Greek Freaks hands yesterday. All season he's gotten by because of his routes and TD's but as soon as he makes one mistake the hounds come out like he hasn't made a single mistake all season. That's actions of spoiled people IMO. You see the whining and crying weekly from people who place the standards of the team extremely high. That's from being spoiled by success from years ago

Flying Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

It seems to me like you especially crafted the time frame to suit your complaint.  The Falcons are the only team in the NFC that went to the playoffs in 2016 and 2017, so comparatively speaking they are doing pretty well.  The Falcons had two bad seasons in 2013 and 2014, and they made a big change as a result. What do you want them to do?  Fire the coach every time they have some bad luck and have a bad season?

The Falcons have been to the playoffs in 6 of the last 10 completed seasons.  Prior to that, they went to the playoffs 8 times in 43 seasons.

And in 2 of those seasons they blew a 17 point halftime lead in the NFCC and and 25 point lead in the Super Bowl.

That's probably more failure in big games than any team in any sport. The years we went to playoffs before those we were 1 and done. That's hardly something that will spoil fans. That's bottom of the barrel expectations. 

Flying Falcon likes this

5 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Stop being rational 

6 minutes ago, Peyton said:

I did specifically use the last 6 years because those are hardly years that would spoil anyone.

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

And in 2 of those seasons they blew a 17 point halftime lead in the NFCC and and 25 point lead in the Super Bowl.

That's probably more failure in big games than any team in any sport. The years we went to playoffs before those we were 1 and done. That's hardly something that will spoil fans. That's bottom of the barrel expectations. 

Ok....I have to admit, I don't have a comeback for this.

Except this.....in 1987 and 1988, the Falcons actually had three players die.  And since then, I think we have a 30 year streak of keeping all active players alive. 

Guess I'm the king of the bright side today.

Malachore likes this

The funny thing about me being Mr. BrightSide today is that the Falcons loss potentially costs me the office football pool ($160).

Out of 32 people, just me and one other person went 9-3 yesterday.  He picked the Cowboys and I of course picked the Falcons.  I would have been the outright winner if I had picked the Cowboys or if the Falcons had won. My loyalty was not rewarded.

I can still win if the Rams/Chiefs game is 66 points or more tonight.  Digital drinks on me tomorrow if that happens.

5 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The funny thing about me being Mr. BrightSide today is that the Falcons loss potentially costs me the office football pool ($160).

Out of 32 people, just me and one other person went 9-3 yesterday.  He picked the Cowboys and I of course picked the Falcons.  I would have been the outright winner if I had picked the Cowboys or if the Falcons had won. My loyalty was not rewarded.

I can still win if the Rams/Chiefs game is 66 points or more tonight.  Digital drinks on me tomorrow if that happens.

Good luck brother, you have a good shot at it.

Peyton likes this