Consistency Under Quinn

falcndave

I can find a couple former coaches who coached fundamentally sound football. You know, how to tackle, block, catch et al. I don’t care we are playing some 2nd teamers, yes more than our share of injuries this season but it happens to all teams. The disappointing part of this team is how fundamentally unsound we are. 

14 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Can't finish with a lead. Can't complete a comeback. At least the outcomes are consistent this season. 

/rant off

Now, feel free to replace Quinn with the former Atlanta coach of your choice.  Most fit comfortably in the post title. 

^^This is true, we no longer hear announcers talking about Matt Ryan and come back wins anymore.  BUT this  May also be due to the defense ( Who thought played a better game yesterday).  Good post

Take the purple off, Falcons under Mike Smith for first 5 years were top 2-3 in closing out games with a Lead going in to 4th Qtr. Only NE had better record in closing out games. Under DQ, it’s not bad but not good either.  That goes back to playing aggressive defense, sound football and forcing turnovers. 

DQ has some learning and self scouting to do, embrace the suck and brotherhood ain’t helping to close out the games.

11 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Take the purple off, Falcons under Mike Smith for first 5 years were top 2-3 in closing out games with a Lead going in to 4th Qtr. Only NE had better record in closing out games. Under DQ, it’s not bad but not good either.  That goes back to playing aggressive defense, sound football and forcing turnovers. 

DQ has some learning and self scouting to do, embrace the suck and brotherhood ain’t helping to close out the games.

Prescott is a meh QB. We should have beaten Cleveland and Dallas handedly. I’m sick and tired of the ‘injury excuses’.

Once in playoffs, Smitty couldn’t beat the superior teams, but he made his bones beating the teams we were suppose to beat in regular season, which at least got us to the dance with a young developing QB. Quinn’s teams lose to inferior teams (see buffalo and Miami last year) on a regular basis with an elite QB at the helm.

That’s just bad coaching. We’re waisting away Ryan and JJ’s peak years. No excuses.

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

We should have beaten Cleveland and Dallas handedly. Prescott is a meh QB.

Once in playoffs, Smitty couldn’t beat the superior teams, but he made his bones beating the teams we were suppose to beat in regular season, which at least got us to the dance. Quinn’s teams lose to inferior teams (see buffalo and Miami last year) on a regular basis. 

That’s bad coaching. We’re waisting away Ryan and JJ’s peak years. 

I totally agree, if only Smitty got KS to run the offense. I do think Smitty trusted his coordinators too much and got the boot. Oh well, hope DQ takes a hard look at himself and the defense. Ryan and Julio aren’t getting younger. 

7 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

I totally agree, if only Smitty got KS to run the offense. I do think Smitty trusted his coordinators too much and got the boot. Oh well, hope DQ takes a hard look at himself and the defense. Ryan and Julio aren’t getting younger. 

Everyone agrees Smith was burned out and needed replacing. But when you replace a coach knowing your two stars are entering their prime you hope for an upgrade, especially in the x’s and o’s. Quinn’s mind-boggling use of time outs yesterday during dallas‘s last drive was a microcosm of his whole time here. Dude is a terrible situational game coach. 

With better coaching this team would be 7-3. With better situational coaching this team would have at least one ring. 

(Rant over)

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Everyone agrees Smith was burned out and needed replacing. But when you replace a coach knowing your two stars are entering their prime you hope for an upgrade, especially in the x’s and o’s. Quinn’s mind-boggling use of time outs yesterday during dallas‘s last drive was a microcosm of his whole time here. Dude is a terrible situational game coach. 

I wanted MS gone as well. Hopefully DQ learns from this and may be hire some one to help him with game planning and management. DQ needs to go hire a proven DC.  We have heard how KS spent extra time preparing with RB coach and  players to have good run game.  This team needs good fundamental coaching along with good x and os 

13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Prescott is a meh QB. We should have beaten Cleveland and Dallas handedly. I’m sick and tired on the ‘injury excuses’.

Once in playoffs, Smitty couldn’t beat the superior teams, but he made his bones beating the teams we were suppose to beat in regular season, which at least got us to the dance with a young developing QB. Quinn’s teams lose to inferior teams (see buffalo and Miami last year) on a regular basis with an elite QB at the helm.

That’s bad coaching. We’re waisting away Ryan and JJ’s peak years. No excuses.

SomberSkinnyJoey-small.gif

That somebody had said it. Eyes are now being opened.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

With better coaching this team would be 7-3. With better situational coaching this team would have at least one ring. 

(Rant over)

I can't disagree with any of this. I like DQ and I don't want him to lose his job, but something has to give. I'm tired of hearing the same spiel about "we didn't make enough plays to win" and "we'll learn from this" and we keep seeing the same thing unfold time and time again, just with different color jerseys. The worst part is that they're losing because of basic, fundamental things as you said. They lost the Super Bowl because they refused to run the ball to kill the clock, which is Football 101. I wish a journalist would call him out on it. 

I like the Brotherhood idea, but it only goes so far before frustrations boil over because they keep losing and nothing is changing, which is absolutely unacceptable when you have Matt Ryan and Julio Jones on your team.

2 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

I can't disagree with any of this. I like DQ and I don't want him to lose his job, but something has to give. I'm tired of hearing the same spiel about "we didn't make enough plays to win" and "we'll learn from this" and we keep seeing the same thing unfold time and time again, just with different color jerseys. The worst part is that they're losing because of basic, fundamental things as you said. They lost the Super Bowl because they refused to run the ball to kill the clock, which is Football 101. I wish a journalist would call him out on it. 

I like the Brotherhood idea, but it only goes so far before frustrations boil over because they keep losing and nothing is changing, which is absolutely unacceptable when you have Matt Ryan and Julio Jones on your team.

Well said Jersey.  

I don’t want Quinn to lose his job either, but his ‘golden boy’ grace period is over. He better turn this ship around fast now or he won’t be here next year. 

14 minutes ago, Vandy said:

(Rant over)

This is the thing I don't understand. We are one of the top teams when it comes to using analytics so why doesn't someone step in to help Quinn. He obviously struggles with in-game strategy so why not have someone on the sideline who can help with using TO's and in-game strategy.

His use of timeouts against the Cowboys was an abomination. Why call a timeout on 3rd down when they have the ball on our side of the field? Getting to overtime is a win with the way our defense is playing. Then calling two more timeouts was just icing on the cake. You let them run 2 more plays and gain an extra 7 yards when we had no chance to keep time on the clock. If anything, force them to use their own timeouts and we might be able to save some time. The sad thing is that those extra 7 yards may have cost us the game as the ball just snuck inside the upright.

I do thing that one benefit of having an offensive minded coach is that it really helps with making decisions on when to go for it on fourth down. An offensive head coach can look at how his offense is playing and whether he has a play that gives a high probability of success while making the decision on whether to go for it. Quinn has to make the decision and then Sark has to come up with a play where he feels we can be successful.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

I can find a couple former coaches who coached fundamentally sound football. You know, how to tackle, block, catch et al. I don’t care we are playing some 2nd teamers, yes more than our share of injuries this season but it happens to all teams. The disappointing part of this team is how fundamentally unsound we are. 

The bigger issue is.....ownership and management have accepted such status quo.

So I dont even blame any players anymore.

This is the culture Arthur Blank & T.D are okay with so we fans EMBRACE THE SUCK or move on to different sports.

13 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

This is the culture Arthur Blank & T.D are okay with so we fans EMBRACE THE SUCK or move on to different sports.

I wouldn’t be too sure Arthur Blank has accepted what we’re all seeing, Matty. 

Much like Ryan and julio’s windows are closing, so is Arthur’s. 

29 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Be honest, you've never blamed the players. Nobody on this board ever does. 

2 hours ago, falcndave said:

Can't finish with a lead. Can't complete a comeback. At least the outcomes are consistent this season. 

/rant off

Now, feel free to replace Quinn with the former Atlanta coach of your choice.  Most fit comfortably in the post title. 

I've noticed this as well. It doesn't seem to matter what changes are made the results are always the same.

Fire the Coach !! I'm seeing that on these boards quite a lot lately. I'm afraid that's not the 'fix it' solution most people would be seeking. We have tried that. The Atlanta Falcons have had eighteen head coaches since just 1966. The fire the coach solution has not worked in the past. Why do we think it will work now? Who you're gonna hire needs to be the important thing if we fire a coach. The Pittsburgh Steelers have had only three coaches in their history. There was a time when they were perennially the worst team in football. They stuck by the same coach and turned that team into a decade long dynasty. I'm not saying that works every time, just food for thought.

1 hour ago, falcons007 said:

Isn't that exactly with Quinn is doing? I honestly feel like this is exactly what got Smitty fired, only Quinn has a much better team.

19 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Be honest, you've never blamed the players. Nobody on this board ever does. 

Really...ive rightfully called out

Beasley

Trufant

Alford

Duke Riley

Oliver 

In the end, it doesnt matter fans feel or think.

The Atlanta Falcons franschise are finesse modiocre football....always have been and in foreseeable future nothing will change. 

Ive accpeted it and will continue to support, cheer and criticize when needed.

Have a great thanks giving! 

3 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yep, you see it in the dumb penalties as well. How many times has our OL penalties killed drives, same on defense.

Twice yesterday 3rd down sacks took us out of FG range the difference in the game.

Last season was completely sabatoged by penalties and dropped passes. The shoddy fundementals are consistent.  All gas...no brain.