Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
R_The_Great

Bruce Irvin - Seahawks vs Falcons way of using him

29 posts in this topic

So when Dan Quinn was D Coordinator for the Seahawks, he used Bruce as an edge rusher and was very successful with him.  Falcons get Irvin and he is playing DT/MLB and is asked to drop in coverage 4 yards back and look to take out any short routes his way while we rush 3.  

I don't understand why we rush 3 on critical 3rd downs.  Why did we sign Bruce only for him to do what a defensive tackle could do?  

There is no way that Dan Quinn is satisfied with this defense coming from the Seahawk defenses he put together and built before becoming the Falcons head coach. 

slamee101 likes this

6 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

So when Dan Quinn was D Coordinator for the Seahawks, he used Bruce as an edge rusher and was very successful with him.  Falcons get Irvin and he is playing DT/MLB and is asked to drop in coverage 4 yards back and look to take out any short routes his way while we rush 3.  

I don't understand why we rush 3 on critical 3rd downs.  Why did we sign Bruce only for him to do what a defensive tackle could do?  

There is no way that Dan Quinn is satisfied with this defense coming from the Seahawk defenses he put together and built before becoming the Falcons head coach. 

Rushing 3 in crucial moments is about as maddening as it gets. Completely opposite mentality I like in a football team.

22 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Or maybe it was Pete Carroll’s defense and DQ, Gus Bradley, and others were fortunate to have great players and a phenomenal Xs and Os HC....now DQ is showing how pathetic he is at either not having the guts to call the defense or what his scheme really is?!?

Whatever the reason, it’s unacceptable

Irvin played LEO his rookie season then moved to SLB the rest of his time in Seattle. 

We've used him in a similar role here as well so far. 

There's a misconception that Irvin is an edge rusher. While he can be in spurts its not his primary role.

The_Realist likes this

22 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Irvin played LEO his rookie season then moved to SLB the rest of his time in Seattle. 

We've used him in a similar role here as well so far. 

There's a misconception that Irvin is an edge rusher. While he can be in spurts its not his primary role.

So him dropping back 4 yards and covering no one is an effective way of using him?

1 minute ago, The_Realist said:

cover 3 defense, both flats have to be covered

And what was the final result?  Oh thats right easy first down.  WOW what a great way to use Bruce Irvin

38 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

And what was the final result?  Oh thats right easy first down.  WOW what a great way to use Bruce Irvin

Bruce Irvin isn't just gonna make our defense good bro. We lost our 3 central defenders, the season is a wrap. Nitpicking situational usage of a versatile hybrid player isn't gonna change that 

2 hours ago, The Architect said:

He was spying Dak on some of those plays.

Again, end results, first down after first down. How about he rushes the passer from the edge?  Is that too hard for him?

4 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

Again, end results, first down after first down. How about he rushes the passer from the edge?  Is that too hard for him?

That's not his role. If he rushes of the edge then the space he was occupying would be exploited. Then you'd be complaining about that. 

Unfortunately we lost two huge pieces to this defense in Jones and Neal which affects everyone on this defense. 

I do agree our pass rush needs to be addressed this offseason but if you were expecting Bruce Irvin to come in and be our savior then you were mistaken. 

I officially jumped off the "give a ****" train (caring about winning) yesterday but I did wonder what motivated them to believe that rushing 3 was little more than making an anemic pass rush worse (especially against that OL).  Even if our secondary had demonstrated the ability to plaster for that long (they haven't), it didn't really make a lot of sense.  Anyways new coping attitude says it's fine though still weird that just 9 days ago, league was on notice and 53 was on offer.

Edited by Monolith2001
Pacific_Falcon likes this

10 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

My thoughts exactly. On Dallas 3rd down conversion with 44sec left, why not man everybody up, play inside shoulder and send eeeeeeeeverybody? I don't get it. We just do t make any d@mn sense sometimes. I coach JV High school and my boys draw up better ish than the Falcons out on the field.

Pacific_Falcon and Vandy like this

9 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I officially jumped off the "give a ****" train (caring about winning) yesterday but I did wonder what motivated them to believe that rushing 3 was little more than making an anemic pass rush worse (especially against that OL).  Even if our secondary had demonstrated the ability to plaster for that long (they haven't), it didn't really make a lot of sense.  Anyways new coping attitude says it's fine though still weird that just 9 days ago, league was on notice and 53 was on offer.

You’re not alone, man. I do still care about and want to miraculously win on Thursday given the opponent, but overall, I was so sure we’d turned a major corner for 2018 in Washington. Ah well .... 

to the title post...it's because Zeke and their TEs are a huge threat to catch and Duke can't be counted on so you need to put Bruce in there to scare Dak into thinking it's a blitz but then Bruce drops back and makes Dak hold it and make a tougher throw. Only problem is he was still completing those passes downfield...