Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cwell1

Im convinced the lack of turnovers are coached

47 posts in this topic

There's no way you can convince me at the point the DBs don't practice not turning their heads. Alford and Oliver had easy ints today but instead of finding the ball, they panic and grab at the WR. We bring in player after player and none turn their heads. Alford can only make a play if he's already facing the line of scrimmage and seeing the ball being thrown, majority of his career ints are like that. Trufant just can't catch, and Poole has t rex arms. People condone this bs too. Happy with an incomplete pass, when a TO was right there. "Great coverage" "Great BREAKUP when Oliver literally did NOTHING smh. For YEARS our starting CBs have averaged 1-2 ints a piece MAX. This is ok?

Only time this defense forced turnovers was when Quinn took over the defense on our Superbowl run.

I just don't understand. Teams that win the turnover margin usually win, no wonder we always lose the big ones because we don't create any

Chris Houston concrete neck must be a requirement in the scouting process. Gotta be smh

The team is just bad. They can't tackle. Like you said, they can't catch on defense. Alford is " awful ", but he makes the team every year. The play calling is bad. They are predictable on offense. It's like they can't pass the ball over 3 times in a row. Should have used some of the money that was paid to Matty Choke on other players.

Turnovers are usually the product of an aggressive defense that presses the issue and forces mistakes or QB's to speed up their reads. We play on our heels the entire game and like sending 3 rushers at the QB and "giving" yards in zone schemes. 

Manuel is so **** in when he decides to blitz. When you can't get pressure you have to blitz but be strategic about it, and when you blitz try to press WRs and don't give up easy completions up the middle like the 3rd and 8 completion to Beasley that resulted in their first TD. I thought that was way to easy. I don't want to be too hard on the D, but we just don't have the talent to stop teams over 3 downs. In this case we have to gamble for game changing turnovers, especially when we are on our side on the field. We don't have the smart gamble plays on D that can force turnovers, heck we don't even force holding calls.

Just now, Ergo Proxy said:

Did the defenses in Seattle not get turnovers?

Yes they did. Quinn needs ALL PRO talent to make his scheme work. Anything less and its well, the Falcons defense.

lee sunset likes this

3 minutes ago, NCFalconfan said:

Turnovers are usually the product of an aggressive defense that presses the issue and forces mistakes or QB's to speed up their reads. We play on our heels the entire game and like sending 3 rushers at the QB and "giving" yards in zone schemes. 

This is my contention as well. Except for 2nd half of 2016, this defense has pretty much played that way for 4 years now. 

Drew4719 likes this

Just now, Vandy said:

This is my contention as well. Defense has pretty much been that way for 4 years now. 

We also almost NEVER jump a route either. We never take any chances and play a hope and pray someone makes an error brand of defense. The great defenses were all aggressive defenses.

Vandy, quotemokc and Drew4719 like this

5 minutes ago, NCFalconfan said:

Yes they did. Quinn needs ALL PRO talent to make his scheme work. Anything less and its well, the Falcons defense.

A defense needs players period. It’s a simple scheme needs them more so.

Neal and Jones playing we wouldn’t have been in a position; much less lost 4 games on final plays of the game this year.

Being way too hard on Quinn with our BEST defenders; Rico/Neal/Debo/Jarret all missing time or done for year.

The poor pass rush is a bigger problem than our CBs, IMO.

However, our CBs missing 10 would be INTs by now has broken the back of an injured unit.

Butudontseeme™ and ZoneOne01 like this

9 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Did the defenses in Seattle not get turnovers?

Quinn was their DC, yes they did. You know what happened wen Quinn took over our defense the last part of 2016? We took the dang ball away and played aggressively! 

Vandy likes this

8 minutes ago, NCFalconfan said:

I'm thinking it was more Pete Carrol. When they lost to us in the divional round  Wilson's Rookie Season, Quinn wasn't the DC and they played good on defense. He rode along, and got a HC Job 

3 minutes ago, NCFalconfan said:

We also almost NEVER jump a route either. We never take any chances and play a hope and pray someone makes an error brand of defense. The great defenses were all aggressive defenses.

Usually you do that when you can trust another guy to make a tackle. We had trouble with that for several game stretch.

Kazee and even Foye are bright spots moving forward on D.

Vic has a good game but he needs to have many more like today to matter moving forward. Missing his play and missing on simply drafting Duke are hurting the D because they couldn’t step up when injuries struck; Takk/Jarrett missing games or Debo being out 9 games now.

D would be fine if DEs stepped up, Debo were here and we had Neal at SS. It’s a simple scheme and we have liabilities out there vs more lethal offenses.

Today we just couldn’t stop the run well enough. The missed INT and kicked fumble were just back breakers.

Todays game reminded me of the CAR game in week 17 last year.

We just didn’t break on D that game. Oh? And we ran all down the Panthers on our opening drive that game and Levitre gets hurt after that series and we stop running the ball.

Why can’t we have a consistent and well synced run game??

16 minutes ago, Beast-N-Da-Sheetz said:

I'm guessing Kazee skips those meetings.

I was mainly speaking on the CB's. I didn't mention safeties, but I meant to. Why do LBs (Debo is just a freak) and safeties lead the team in takeaways every year? Even Ishmael had a year like Kazee before. Its easier to make a play when the play is in front of you instead of having to turn and track, which is why I focused on the CB position. QBs routinely throw up balls that should result in TOs, but end up in incompletions or DPI

4 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

I'm thinking it was more Pete Carrol. When they lost to us in the divional round  Wilson's Rookie Season, Quinn wasn't the DC and they played good on defense. He rode along, and got a HC Job 

Seattle only went to the superbowl when Quinn was the DC. We've only went to the superbowl when Quinn was the DC. Common denominator? Leaving bullets in the gun.

True, but lack of talent is not a death sentence if

1. We have a good coaching staff to game plan well and call the right plays

2. Players that can tackle well in space, especially DBs. 

7 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

You mean lack of talent?:ninja:

1 minute ago, cwell1 said:

Seattle only went to the superbowl when Quinn was the DC. We've only went to the superbowl when Quinn was the DC. Common denominator? Leaving bullets in the gun.

Quinn took over an already good defense in Seattle, and they went to the Super Bowl. Defense didn't get him to the Super Bowl here. 

I think Quinn spending his time rejecting information on how to manage the clock probably has a cascading effect on other areas.

1 minute ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Quinn took over an already good defense in Seattle, and they went to the Super Bowl. Defense didn't get him to the Super Bowl here. 

They were the number 1 defense under Quinn, not without him. He took over a mess in 2016 and we were playing better defense then majority of the league that last stretch of that season. That amazing offense had us around 500 until Quinn took over

treboyplay likes this

6 minutes ago, cwell1 said:

Beast mode was big part of that team when they went to SB. Also Pete Carrol went and signed Bennet, Avril to go along with Sherman, Safeties and LB who were already top of the NFL. It had too much talent on D not to make it to SB.

1 minute ago, cwell1 said:

They were the number 1 defense under Quinn, not without him. He took over a mess in 2016 and we were playing better defense then majority of the league that last stretch of that season. That amazing offense had us around 500 until Quinn took over

It has more to do with players he had in Seattle. After 2015, the started getting old or injuries decimated. He also had big help from Dun game to keep Defense fresh.

Faithful Falcon likes this

2 minutes ago, cwell1 said:

Maybe you should debate with someone else, because Quinn ain't **** in my eyes.

falcons007 likes this

This was an issue last season too. That's why I keep saying. Dan Quinn who was supposed to be a defensive minded head coach, just like Mike Smith, has NEVER given us a good defense, period. The Seahawks and Pete Carroll continue to have top 10 scoring defenses without Dan Quinn even without the Legion of Boom being there anymore. Dan Quinn just made their already top 10 defense much better and elite. He never built that defense from bottom to top, and he hasn't built a solid defense in Atlanta.